http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 04:25:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Civillization IV Impressions  (Read 8133 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2005, 02:44:57 AM »

More impressions!   biggrin

Looked around here - not one store had it.  Not because it was sold out, but they hadn't gotten shipments in.  I guess that's what I get for living in eastern Washington   :?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2005, 02:59:35 AM »

Quote from: "depward"

Looked around here - not one store had it.  Not because it was sold out, but they hadn't gotten shipments in.  I guess that's what I get for living in eastern Washington   :?

I'm not sure what part of eastern WA you are in, but I know all the GameStops got the game in on Wed.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
depward

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2005, 03:32:39 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"

I'm not sure what part of eastern WA you are in, but I know all the GameStops got the game in on Wed.

About an hour and a half away from Spokane, the nearest Gamestop to me.  Perhaps I'll take a little trip there tomorrow, we'll see!

Semaj

View Profile
ok
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2005, 08:41:16 AM »

I've been playing it a lot for aboot 2 days now...

Lesse what my major impressions are.

I like sulla played it down the middle and noticed a few minor things... but the main one is, there is a lot less war this time a round.  And a LOT more trading of technologies between the other races.  You trade something to one of em, you damn sure better trade it ot the rest of em, or they will trade it amongst themselves in a hurry.  The only people who usually dont get it are the people no one likes, and yes, the red headed stepchildren civilizations do live smile

In my 300ish turns so far, I've had 3 wars, well a fourth one started, but he's attacked once so I dont count it.  The English attacked twice and someone else made my life difficult with elephants.  it's amazingly hard ot take towns unless you bring in a vast array of different things to take out all the little things.  Sending 5 or 6 knights into a town with 3 pikemen just wont work. well it might work, but if you bring in some macemen, a few crossbowmen, a catapult or two and 2 knights, you'd be shocked how much better your results are.  Siege weapons are HUGE in this game.  They remove peoples defences and that makes sieging someones city noticably easier if you can keep them alive.

Also, one of the most important things you can do is when you are moving a troop to attack, if you holf the right mouse button and hold it over the tropp you plan on attacking, it'll show you what the odds are of you winning (Well more like effective strengths, but you get the idea).  Youd be shocked how long before i noticed this.  The second most important thing for combat is UNit promotions.  As your units gain experience, they gain levels, and become more useful.  Whether they help other units heal, or become good at raiding cities, the better you do promotions, the more likely you are to swing a battle into your favor.

You _need_ to make wonders and get religon, so you can make get great people.  Because for the most part, they build very important things. Mini wonders, freee tech, etc.  One game, my second one, my guys spit out a few wonders early on, at the expense of expanding and building up.  What occured?  Greats up the wazoo and free techs left and right.  My production picked up , my tech was top notch, however by the 1800's I was hopeless far behind in size and population (Most places 2 or 3-1'd me).  I was still keeping up with most of them technology-wise.  But the guy who got North america all to himself basically ran away with the tech.    He got a few techs I didnt, got his wonders built and now gets a ton of great people and I cant keep up.

Religon is like the new way to make friends in a hurry.  usually early on, there are 2-4 religons running around and if your like me you try to get as many of them for yourself as possible (3 relions last time, so I had 3 holy cities with 1 wonder each, its how I was spitting out great people like it was my job).  Also, send missionaries to all the other countries.  Because odds are, quite a few will join your religon and suddenly, you guys have common ground and become mor efriendly with each other.  Its nice to be well liked and that reason alone makes religons worthwhile to get, which is why sully did it.  People of other religons dislike you quite a lot and as such, tend to trewat you worse unless you can play nice wit them long enough to get to a liked or respected status.  

There are some serious interface issues I dislike however.  This isnt exactly as smooth as it needs to be.  Some of my favorite advisor-things are gone.  Liek the ability to upgrade units from the military advisor.  Or your military advisor being useful for that matter.  I think they went a little overboard with the options, but skimped on some of the ones people new to civ are going to need, or people who havent played civ 4 3700  times yet.  I guess I could read the manual and see fi its all in there, but what man reads the maual anyways?

I dont fret grahics, I dont fret music, but what I do fret is the fact my 512 megs o ram and P4 2.8 mean the game takes a while to load up and a while to play computer turns.  I even got a virutual resources were low warning with that, trillian and notepad open.maybe its just me, but I think you should have between 712 and 1g of memory otherwise your playing the game on "slow mode".

the fact I have to put the game down right nwo and make sure some work gets done should clue you in to how much I like the game, but well, I cant wait for the patch to come out and me to be able to afford new ram.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2005, 01:21:22 PM »

Early Impressions Part II - Civics and Stuff

To begin, yes, I am still loving the game, still learning the game, and still calling the A.I. a “prick” from time to time, which is a good sign.

Civics – I am going to give my impressions of civics as a separate section because I so love what Firaxis did with this mechanic.  You can change any of the 5 categories (government, legal, labor, econ, religion) independently of one another, which is just an awesome, awesome idea.  There was some concern early on that even with all these options, every civilization would end up choosing the same combinations.  I’m not so sure this is the case at all.  You see, each civic choice has an associated upkeep cost which is directly related to how “useful” it is.  Indirectly, upkeep of certain civics will also be affected by your empire size, (the # of cities you have as well as your overall population).  In my limited experience, money can be tight, so choosing civics combinations will be based more on what you are willing to “spend” vs. what you "need".  I have included a shot of part of the civics screen in the early part of the game to show what I mean.  I currently have Organized Religion chosen, which has a High Upkeep, and although the game is early, is already eating into my economy.  If there are little pictures next to the civic choice, that means I have researched the necessary technologies to enable their availability.

There are particular civic choices that are just no-brainers based on current strategy also.  An example is under Government – where Universal Suffrage is fantastic for Bob the Builder while Police State is key for Willie the Warmonger.  I find the Legal Civics especially interesting in that they can give free experience points to military units, allow a leader to draft an army, or give huge bonuses to gold and culture production.  Super cool choices.  Less “cool” but equally strategic in how you want to manage your government are the Economic civics (want to control trade? Be self sufficient? Boost city health? – these are the choices you can make here, and they are subtle but potentially key).

Diplomacy – Ah yes.  One of the areas of the game I “think” I’m good at, but tend to be so rigid a leader, that I actually pretty much piss everyone off.  Opposing leader attitudes are broken down to 5 major categories, ranging from Friendly to Furious.  Furious leaders will sometimes not even take your phone calls…  One of the things that I really like about the system in Civ IV is that certain technologies must be researched before you can even open certain types of negotiations with opposing leaders.  I’m still not clear what opens what exactly, as I piss everyone off so much, I don’t seem to form really warm and fuzzy relationships.  My impression of diplomacy is simple.  It’s better than it’s ever been because you really have to “work” for a good relationship and continue to build it.  Early in the game, when you meet a civilization with a different religion, and nothing else really in common, it can be quite a hurdle to jump to get your foot in the door.  If you really want that relationship bad enough, the A.I. will make you earn it.  The more powerful you become, the more likely they will bend over backwards to get in with a “world power” so to speak.  I’ve always wanted to get to the mid-game as a high powered civ and take a smaller struggling civ under my wing and raise them up.  With the new diplomacy rules, this could be a distinct possibility.  Time will tell.  Also, don't be surprised when the A.I. uses diplomacy in short bursts in order to accomplish something they desire from you.  See my story below on religion to get a small taste of this.

Religion – Well, I can safely say (at least at this point in time) that I have never spent more time reading, playing around with, conversing on other forums, etc… trying to figure out a game mechanic, than with Religion in Civ IV.  Truth be told, it may not even be that hard to figure out, but for some reason, I just have a persistent brainfart in grasping it.  So instead of posting something totally wrong, I will instead tell you I like the concept, I don’t totally “get” the concept, and give you an example of something that happened to me early on in my game that was pretty ‘neat’.  Soon after I took over a barbarian town that grew up out of nowhere on the northern part of my continent, I made a missionary in Shanghai to get my state religion up there.  It’s much faster doing this then waiting for the internal trade routes to form, (which will slowly spread religion to all connecting cities) and I wanted to get some faith in my newly converted town.  Well, right after taking the town (Cherokee in the pic below), I also got a message from the Mali Leader (who I incidentally am sharing my continent with) saying he would like to exchange open boarders with me.  Well isn’t that “special” I think to myself.  Here is a guy that borderline can’t stand me, and he wants to suddenly be friends?  No problem.  Maybe he has some nice tech I could use.  Agreed!  Well, take a guess what the first thing that Mali prick does when we open borders?  Homeboy sends over a missionary to my newly acquired town of Cherokee and spreads his disease he calls Judaism BEFORE I can even get my own missionary up there to show them the true faith!  Is that unreal!  What do I do in return?  I get up from my chair and start cussing the bastard out as I pace around my townhouse.  Thank God I was home alone, or someone may have actually asked what the hell I was doing.  

In this picture, you can see the town of Cherokee (1 pop) with my missionary sitting outside it.  If you look really close, you can see a light blue circle above the city name.  That cirlce indicates that the religion of Judaism has "infected" my new town.  The pink area around Cherokee is the area of control/borders/culture that Cherokee currently has.  The units below the town are skirmishers of Mali.  The 3 little white dots you see over the flag indicate there are 3 units in the "group".

Needless to say, I took my missionary and immediately redirected him to one of prick-boys towns to spread the true faith of Confucianism to one of his towns before the dickslurper could close the borders, which, by the way, he did, right after I returned the favor!  Anway, pretty cool shit from an A.I. perspective, and just one of many many nuances of religion in the game.

This is an example of a global view of the early game world.  You can see Shanghai (pop 5) to the south; Beijing (pop 6 and my capital) in the center; Lao, a new coastal city I had just settled and building a lighthouse on the east coast; and Gao, the prick's westernmost city that I spread my state religion to right before he closed the borders.

More to come...

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2005, 02:36:42 PM »

YAY! I finally got it... at EB Games right after they opened. Only 6 copies left after me.. heh heh.

Installing now. I'll post impressions later tonight.  Cool

Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2005, 05:38:23 PM »

Initial Impressions: YEE HAW!!!

It's fun so far. I'm playing as Frederick of Germany. We founded Judaism, birthed Moses and built the Temple of Solomon (ROFL HEE) and then promptly got our asses handed to us by the nearby Aztec hordes. I'm going to retry the same game from the beginning with a slightly different research emphasis so I'm more well-defended by the time Montezuma gets antsy.

The game runs smoothly with no discernible bugs (yet) on my barely adequate (but gaming-configured) system:

1.3 ghz AMD Celeron
1.0 GB 233 Mhz SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB
Soundblaster Live!

I'm sorry for those having problems, but for me this a well-polished and terrific experience.  Cool

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2005, 06:12:23 PM »

Hey Orgs, glad you got it.

Lockdown-superb impressions. I would like to hear a few more thoughts on differences/changes vs. Civ3, which for some reason kind of dissapointed me.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2005, 06:45:23 PM »

Hey Lockyboy!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Your experiences with CivIV's religion and the Mali guy was laugh out loud funny!  Especially the part of getting up and walking around and talking to yourself.  Been there, done that.  Classic stuff Hoagiehead! :wink:

Here's an idea.  Spend less time at Pat's and more time reading the Civ manual to grasp religion. :wink:  Oh wait, I forgot.  Someone who still hasn't figured out how to pass in hockey cannot possibly grasp the meaning of religion and its many meandering nuances in this game! :wink:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2005, 06:53:26 PM »

You're welcome.  At least someone is reading them.  Sometimes I think I post my impressions for my own amusement.   :?

And SS - Before you go attempting to be humorous, why don't you post some Soul Calibur impressions!  I've only been waiting like 3 days for them.  Jeez - throw a dog a bone every once in a while.

LD  :wink:

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2005, 07:10:50 PM »

Ok, tried again as Frederick of the Germans, same map. Researched and built some more military units. Ended up getting killed even worse than before and having less cities than before.

Apprently the basic winning strategies from Civ 3 need to be rethought. (Or else I just suck tremendously) I think next game I'll drop the difficulty down one notch from Noble to whatever is below it.

Those Aztecs make for mean nasty neighbors.

But I'm having far more fun losing in Civ 4 than I was having winning in Civ 3 so...

depward

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2005, 07:12:22 PM »

No way Lockdown - those were some good impressions!  Plus hey - bonus screenies?!  Awesome!   biggrin   Keep on posting more updated impressions!  I really want to see how the "staying power" is for Civ IV.

Glad you got it Orgull!

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2005, 09:26:19 PM »

Sweet impressions!  My snail mail copy is now in Ohio, so while I had been hoping to play this weekend, it looks like next week.  Grrr. . .
So more impressions, guys!  I'm living vicariously through you.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
depward

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2005, 10:44:44 PM »

Went into my local indepedant game shop today.  Asked if they got any Civilization IV in.  Here is how the convo went:

Me - Hi, did you happen to get any copies of Civilization IV in yet?

Store Employee - Ummmm, you mean Civ III?

Me - No, Civ IV - it shipped a couple of days ago.

Store Employee - Ummmm, Age of Empires III came in.

Other Store Employee - We might be expecting some to arrive tomorrow.

Store Employee - There's a Civilization IV out?!

Uuuugggghhhh

Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2005, 11:10:04 PM »

I think my real problem is that I'm trying to play a cookie-cutter approach rather than a dynamic game that changes based on my leader's strengths and the resources I have available.

For example in my first game I left a stone quarry untapped for about 40 turns, not realizing that I could rush (x2) Stonehenge and The Pyramids with it and keep my enemies from having them.

I'll learn more as I go along but it looks like Civ 4 may be the first 4X that allows for real strategy rather than just following a "best choices" cookie-cutter approach.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2005, 12:13:03 AM »

Dep - I REALLY feel for ya' bud.  I have no less than 5 stores in my immediate area (2 EB and 3 Gamestop) - and out of them all, only one guy in all five stores has a clue about PC games... it is so so sad.

Anyway, I am taking a break for a bit.  I just ran into a new Civ and need to think how I want to handle it.  

Recognize that symbol?  Yep... that is Egypt baby, and they love them some Confusionism!!!!  (see the symbol under the city?)  The sad thing is, they feel about as good about Mali as they do about me.  I think it's high time I start souring my sweet little Hatshepsut on that big prick Mansa Musa.  I just have to figure out how to do it.   :wink:

Lastly, I leave you with a zoomed in picture of Beijing, with my newly created Parthenon sitting right there in the middle right next to my obelisk.  And yep, those are some nice walls around the city just in case prickhead has the nerve to get feisty.  Have a look:

Will continue later tonight and let ya all know how things are going with my not-yet-created plan to ruin the life of King Prickweasel Mansa.

Orgull - I think you may be correct regarding the cookie cutter statement.  I hope so anyway.

LD

LD

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2005, 12:20:01 AM »

LOL, I am loving your screenshot journey through Civ4.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2005, 02:00:54 AM »

Ok dammit! :evil::wink:

You got your wish come true Phillybrain.  I'm right now setting up my customized character for the "Chronicles of the Sword" mode in Soul Calibur III.

BUT I WANTED TO PLAY CIVILIZATION IV!  I spent several days reading the darn manual, following Sulla's quest, reading the impressions, and laughing my ass of at your trials and tribulations posted here in this thread!  (Funny stuff keep it coming!)

I will try to get some impressions of Soul III up tomorrow in a different thread.

But, the CivIV box is sitting right here under my monitor.  I can see it.  It's, it's, calling to me....... And the manual smells - so - nice...

XM Channel 76
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2005, 02:52:17 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
LOL, I am loving your screenshot journey through Civ4.

Yes. Absolutely excellent. Still waiting for info on the major summary of differences between this and III.

Thank ye!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2005, 09:04:41 AM »

Calvin, have you read through parts 1-5 of Sulla's walkthrough?  He goes over a lot of the game from the start of his civ through to the end.  He pretty much covers all the changes made and many of the decisions you'll have to make in the game.

It's what convinced me to buy the game even though I'm more of an action/strategy oriented gamer.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2005, 10:16:06 AM »

Starshifter - you like the smell of new manuals?!  That's nutty.  But I do too.  That new manual/game smell, OOOOH YEAAAHHH...

Screenshot journey through Civ IV land is entertaining stuff, along with what everyone else is posting.  I'm loving it!

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2005, 02:48:11 PM »

I want to talk alittle about Culture, both to satisfy Cal a bit, as well as give my impressions of it.  The whole concept of culture is different than previous Civ games and since it reminds me alot of Rise of Nations, I like it.  

Quick summary:  Culture is measured within each city you own.  Your culture levels have so many variables that effect it, I can't list them all.  Suffice it to say, numerous things will contribute to how fast your civilization gains culture "points".  Probably the biggest effect of culture is in how it relates to your Cultural Borders.  Your cities have access to any resources, special or normal, that are within your borders.  Therefore, as an example, if you want that Ivory special resource (Elephant graphic) that is juuuust outside your border, you will need to gain culture "points" in order to expand your borders to be able to stick an improvement on that tile and subsequently gain the benefits of that ivory.

Some other things I really like about how this mechanic works:

1) You can not cross another Civ's cultural border until you have an agreement to do so.  (Barbarians are immune to this though)

2)  Want to use Egypt's railroads and roads if you're China?  Nope.  Can't do it - unless you have the open border agreement that is.

3)  Can't build cities in someone else's culture area.

4)  Border clashing is cool.  Basically, the more culture your Civ has, the better chance that a border will encroach on your rival's lands and not yours.  Your city will "control" more land than his due to this.  Very cool.  If you can squeeze your rival enough, you might even see a city "switch civs".  

Below is an example from the globe view of how China (me) is starting to give that Mali bastard a nice culture shock.  See how my culture is seeping into his lands?  What used to be all yellow (wish I had a screenshot to show you) is now yellow with flecks of pink.  "China is here, Mr. Burton."  (Big Trouble in Little China reference).

Now then, some more things I like:

5)  Discovering a technology called "Drama" will give you a slider that lets you set the amount of taxes that should go toward developing culture.  This happens relatively early in the game.  

6)  Your overall city defense can be improved by having high culture scores.

7)  Developing Great Artists will make very large additions to culture.  The two big ways are having him become a permanant part of one of your cities (which ups culture per turn) or creating a Great Work, which drops 4000 culture points immediately into a city of your choice.

Below is an example of my city of Mazon before and after dropping a Great Work down in the city.  Notice how the cultural border expanded?  Not only did this cause the seeping of Chinese culture into Mali lands (pic above), but also gave me that Ivory resource I was hinting at above.  Notice the Elephant?   :wink:

BEFORE

AFTER

There is more to it of course, but those are the things I have figured out so far in a nutshell.

I leave you with a picture of my city of Lao (smoking cause they aren't happy when not garrisoned) with my newly created Cho-Ko-Nu warriors that I upgraded after FINALLY discovering some iron.  Aren't they totally cool looking!?!?!  

China is here you Mali prick bastard.  Soon, all your base are belong to us!

LD

LD

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2005, 04:57:20 PM »

Anyone else play the tutorial and find the CGI Sid vaguely distrubing?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2005, 06:24:04 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Calvin, have you read through parts 1-5 of Sulla's walkthrough?  He goes over a lot of the game from the start of his civ through to the end.  He pretty much covers all the changes made and many of the decisions you'll have to make in the game.

It's what convinced me to buy the game even though I'm more of an action/strategy oriented gamer.

I have skimmed it but not read it thoroughly. I will do so now, thanks turtle.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2005, 07:44:38 PM »

I love it....
Im have not talked to anyone in a long time now... im to busy playing Civ4 :p
SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2005, 10:14:12 PM »

Quote from: "Maggot"
I love it....
Im have not talked to anyone in a long time now... im to busy playing Civ4 :p

Ditto. Playing, eating while playing, sleeping while playing... :shock:

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2005, 10:52:31 PM »

So tempted.....
depward

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2005, 01:01:06 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
So tempted.....

I'm getting it next weekend (asked my Dad to get to Frys to purchase a copy) and SO ARE YOU!

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2005, 06:29:09 AM »

I just finished my second full game.  I choose random civ on a standard map and ended up Mongols.  I almost quit in mid-game when things were rough and I realized my "cautious builder" play style might not be a fit for the Mongol traits.  So, you can imagine my joy in ultimately beating out the Americans in a space race when they had edged past me in total points only a turn before and were just turns away from completing their own spaceship. My joy went even higher when I realized I was playing on the Noble difficulty instead of the Warlord level I thought I was on!

That said, I did have some geography luck on my side.  I ended up with a pretty good size (15 cities) piece of land with one isthmus bottleneck that allowed me to quickly contain two rivals and another with an impassable mountain range that stopped another.  I had one war when the Aztecs decided to attack me and took out a minor city off my major land mass that I had earlier acquired due to cultural domination.  Since the Aztecs razed the city and then left through the open borders of a civ between us, all that happened afterwards was that I convinced another civ to join me in war against them and then limited my actions to bombing raids based out of my ally's lands and battleship attacks against one of his cities.  He eventually sued for peace.

Generally, there doesn't seem to be as much warfare in this version of the game.

- American Dad
depward

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2005, 06:45:12 AM »

Played for several hours today.  I really like it!  I haven't played any (except for some limited time with Civ III, but VERY limited) Civilization games except for the first.  And I played Civ I to death.

This game seems to almost feel a LOT like it.  The same "addicting" gameplay is there . . . how I would realize I had spent two hours playing and had no clue . . . how I don't want to stop playing . . . that sort of thing.

I chose to be ze Germans.  Actually, it was kind of funny - I founded Judaism.  And spread it ACROSS THE LAND!

I agree with ya Sarkus - there doesn't seem to be a lot of combat.  At least I haven't engaged in much.  I did go to war with the Romans, and after awhile, finally took down their cities.  Gosh, that city defense bonus along with the fortification bonus REALLY helps the defender.  But I brought in a catapult and knocked that defense down a bit.

I basically really focused on technology and culture.  I even phased out one of my oppositions' cities through my "culture" border enveloping their city.  Pretty nice if you can set your civilization up and not have any open border treaties.

I have a question though - I kept on founding religions (yes, my first game was on the easiest difficulty level and I was zipping past other countries in terms of technology and growth) by researching them.  Whenever I founded a particular religion, a Missionary for that religion popped up from one of my cities.  And I was like, whoa, what the heck, I don't want this!  So I ended up deleting those missionaries.  WHAT is that all about?  What should I do with that?

Having a fun time with it though, that's for sure.  I love being able to harvest all sorts of resources . . . even bananas!  I love me some bananas in the jungle!

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2005, 07:07:17 AM »

I have a question though - I kept on founding religions (yes, my first game was on the easiest difficulty level and I was zipping past other countries in terms of technology and growth) by researching them.  Whenever I founded a particular religion, a Missionary for that religion popped up from one of my cities.  And I was like, whoa, what the heck, I don't want this!  So I ended up deleting those missionaries.  WHAT is that all about?  What should I do with that?

If you found a religion it means you have that religion's holy city.  Every turn you get one gold for every city in the game that has that religion.  So, you want to try and send those missionaries out to other cities. (You get one when you found the religion and then you can build others). On top of the gold thing, other civs that have your religion will also be nicer to you.

Having just played on noble, I can tell you that it's hard to found a religion on higher difficulty levels.  My last game I never did have a holy city.

- American Dad
siege

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2005, 07:17:31 AM »

If anyone isn't enjoying their copy of Civ IV and would like to give Call of Duty 2 a try instead - I'm up for making the trade. Just give me a PM.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2005, 02:02:27 PM »

So much happened over the weekend (in my game that I keep posting about), I don't know where to start.  I will just say this:  I absolutely love that Firaxis spent time with the Diplomatic A.I. in Civ IV.  It is actually logical and intelligent enough to be a complete sub-game itself, which I can't say was true for the other iterations of the series.  

Mali and I finally did go to war, and the long protracted war that it was really had major repurcussions around the globe.  My overall score raised quite a bit, but my economy took a hit, my foreign relations took a hit, and I learned alot about proper attacking and defending of cities.  And those rogue units that go around raising your improvements really pisses you off, let me tell you.  Anyway, I was "winning" the war and after a major victory in one of his higher population cities, he finally asked for a 10 turn peace treaty.  Lots and lots of fun.

LD

LD

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2005, 02:12:22 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
If you found a religion it means you have that religion's holy city.  Every turn you get one gold for every city in the game that has that religion.

Just to clarify, you don't start getting the moolah until you get a great prophet and build the supershrine or whatever it is in your holy city.

depward, stop killing your missionaries!  If you can get him to a major city of an opponent, you'll have the fog of war cleared for that city and anyplace else the religion spreads to.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2005, 02:52:11 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
So much happened over the weekend (in my game that I keep posting about), I don't know where to start.  I will just say this:  I absolutely love that Firaxis spent time with the Diplomatic A.I. in Civ IV.  It is actually logical and intelligent enough to be a complete sub-game itself, which I can't say was true for the other iterations of the series.  

Mali and I finally did go to war, and the long protracted war that it was really had major repurcussions around the globe.  My overall score raised quite a bit, but my economy took a hit, my foreign relations took a hit, and I learned alot about proper attacking and defending of cities.  And those rogue units that go around raising your improvements really pisses you off, let me tell you.  Anyway, I was "winning" the war and after a major victory in one of his higher population cities, he finally asked for a 10 turn peace treaty.  Lots and lots of fun.

LD

Yes, diplomacy is incredible in Civ 4. I felt absolute glee when after much debate the indians decided that it would be in their best interest to go to war with Alexander with me. You see, Alexander was starting to pinch the borders of india a bit and obviously wished to grow.  I was willing to help them for a price.  biggrin  We totally annihilated Alexander's troops and cities. The city defense bonuses rocked our troops, but in time, we won.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2005, 05:18:48 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
...let me tell you.

Reminded me of:

Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Call me weird!

XM Channel 76
depward

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2005, 07:33:24 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
depward, stop killing your missionaries!

Haha thanks for clarifying this up for me Sarkus and wonderpug.  Yeah, I felt kinda bad when I would just click on delete for a holy man.  Feels almost blasphemous.  Now I know what to do!

Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2005, 08:06:18 PM »

I can start out strong, but sometime in the mid 1000's ad, I suddenly start falling back to the pack and there doesnt seem to be any way to stop this...  Also, I tend to get molested by barbarian hordes once they get axemen and horse archers.  

Damn the man and it's Noble difficulties.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2005, 01:40:28 AM »

I chose to be ze Germans.  Actually, it was kind of funny - I founded Judaism.  And spread it ACROSS THE LAND!

That is absolutely awesome in its irony  :  Cool
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: