http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 12:40:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Civilization Revolution demo coming Thursday  (Read 4794 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2008, 05:58:33 AM »

According to Gamespot a demo for Civilization Revolution will be available Thursday on both XBox Live and PSN.  This game is shaping up really nicely, and I can't wait to try it out.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 06:13:41 AM »

no PS3 love? :-(

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 06:17:26 AM »

Um, PSN is the PS3's store, so yes, there's PS3 lovin'

What would be interesting with this game is if they made it remote play compatable with the PSP.  It's the perfect game for that feature, being turn based.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 12:01:33 PM »

Great news.  This one is pretty high on my wants list for the summer.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 12:07:07 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 04, 2008, 06:17:26 AM

What would be interesting with this game is if they made it remote play compatable with the PSP.  It's the perfect game for that feature, being turn based.
Sure, why not! Take away that potential handheld versions sales. No problem!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 12:49:42 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 04, 2008, 06:17:26 AM

my apologies, didnt know that...I dont know all the abbreviations I should appearently  icon_frown

A new one
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 01:02:39 PM »

Now I just hope they do a DS demo via the new Wii channel.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 01:30:22 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 04, 2008, 12:01:33 PM

Great news.  This one is pretty high on my wants list for the summer.

Same here. Can't wait for this! A friend of mine (Rich here on GT) listens to a lot of gaming podcasts and I believe he said Jeff Green has been playing a review copy of the full game and loves it. So my hopes are very high.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 02:20:08 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 04, 2008, 01:02:39 PM

Now I just hope they do a DS demo via the new Wii channel.

I'm not sure if they can within the memory constraints.
Regardless, I'm very much looking forward to this.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 02:50:54 PM »

I was already planning on getting it for my 360, but the wife hasn't yet played with her DS I got her for Christmas, so may I'll get that version as well or instead of.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »

I'll give it a shot, but I just picked up CIv 4 + the expansions so unless it turns out to be something really special I'll end up waiting to get it.  too bad the Wii version got canned-  it might have controlled really well using the Wii Mote as a pointer.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 04:05:36 PM »

This is almost an automatic purchase for me as well.  I simply can not wait. 

Jeez, I hope it's great. 

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 05:17:44 PM »

portable crack on the go.  if i get this on the ds, i may not ever get any work done again.    (of course, i said the same thing for simcity ds and look how that turned out)

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 07:26:44 PM »

The previews have been very positive, and Sid Meier was heavily involved in the creation of the game.  I also like the idea that games take only a few hours, and I think the somewhat goofy graphic style fits the game well.  The newer Civ games have been more serious, but the first had a goofier vibe, with Elvis as your entertainer and Madonna as your Foreign Minister.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 01:58:23 AM »

Awesome!  This is tops on my list for this summer!
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 07:48:25 AM »

Quote from: Caine on June 04, 2008, 05:17:44 PM

portable crack on the go.  if i get this on the ds, i may not ever get any work done again.    (of course, i said the same thing for simcity ds and look how that turned out)

And I said the same for Age of Empires and look how that turned out.  I'm hoping that living in Japan and a different timezone can finally be an advantage for me (except for when I'm betting on sports and know who won the Stanley Cup 12 hours before you guys do).  I'm going to check and see if it's up in a couple of hours.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 10:57:30 AM »

The 360 demo is now up, according to Major Nelson

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 12:08:50 PM »

Just played the demo through.  It lets you go to a certain year, and took me between an hour and 90 minutes.  It played a lot like a somewhat streamlined Civ, although almost everything in Civ4 is in Civ Rev in one form or another.  It controls beautifully, with easy to use controls, and information one or two buttons presses away.  It looks nice, and the changing clothing of your advisors and they way they fight when one or more appear at once is amusing.  Just like the PC versions, rewards come often and keep you playing.  There are even more in this version, as if you're the first to research a technology, you get a pretty nice benefit, like a free building or unit in your capital or +1 to food/research/etc in all cities.  It looks like they perfectly brought the Civ gameplay to the console smile

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 12:27:22 PM »

Doh! It's still not out on PSN yet
CURSE YOU SONY!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 02:51:39 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 05, 2008, 12:27:22 PM

Doh! It's still not out on PSN yet
CURSE YOU SONY!

Shocker. Mandatory Thursday timed releases are AWESOME.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 11:40:39 PM »

Still not up on PSN-bloody hell! I'm surprised there isn't more feedback so far-are people busy or are they not really interested in this title?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 12:08:12 AM »

DL'ing right now.  Will report back later tonight.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 01:43:56 AM »

Eddies thoughts mirror mine exactly.  I had high hopes for this one, and it looks like it'll deliver in spades.  I love the more cartoony visual style, and it really fits the tone of the game.  Everything I liked about the PC version is in this one, it just all feels much more streamlined.   There's a few quirky interface issues, but I was able to figure them out pretty quickly.    It just feels like a Civ game through and through, and I can't wait for the full version.

The fact that the games will be shorter is a big plus for me.  I always enjoyed the early game in PC Civ IV, but ended up getting bored towards the end and rarely ever finished.  Games on this version are only supposed to take 2-3 hours, which will be fantastic for those of us with limited gaming time.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 02:42:20 AM »

The only problem I had with the game is that it's difficult to get an overview of the world map.  You can't zoom out  all that far, and when you do, the curvature of the world makes it hard to get an overall picture where everything is located.  I'm glad that they used nice big letters though.  I was a little worried that they'd make the text too small to be easily read on my SDTV, but everything is very clear.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 02:57:27 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 04, 2008, 12:07:07 PM

Sure, why not!  Take away a cool feature that'd be great for us gamers that want to do a few turns while on the road.  No problem!
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 03:09:44 AM »

1.3gb is a little heavy for a strategy game. Giving it a shot anyway. Is this going on portables as well?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 03:56:39 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 06, 2008, 02:57:27 AM

Quote from: Calvin on June 04, 2008, 12:07:07 PM

Sure, why not!  Take away a cool feature that'd be great for us gamers that want to do a few turns while on the road.  No problem!

You can't possibly be that willfully obtuse. If they want to sell the game on PSP (I honestly don't even know if there is a version in development, but it would foolish not to have one eventually), it would be absolutely idiotic of them to allow it to be remotely played over the system. Come on. I know perfectly well you understand Econ 101.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 04:14:52 AM »

I just played my first demo game and it definitely has that Civ "One more turn" feel to it. I did fairly well, and came out on top in technologies, buildings etc, but was not able to capture any capital cities.
Pretty slick presentation as well, but is it just me or does this feel more like a XBLA/PSN game than a full product?
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 04:22:06 AM »

Apparently the PSN store is having a little technical difficulties today-doh! Oh well-you get what you pay for I guess.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 04:31:28 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 06, 2008, 04:22:06 AM

Apparently the PSN store is having a little technical difficulties today-doh! Oh well-you get what you pay for I guess.
I really want to play Bad Company, too.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2008, 05:36:22 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 06, 2008, 03:56:39 AM

You can't possibly be that willfully obtuse. If they want to sell the game on PSP (I honestly don't even know if there is a version in development, but it would foolish not to have one eventually), it would be absolutely idiotic of them to allow it to be remotely played over the system. Come on. I know perfectly well you understand Econ 101.

You can't be that much of a marketing drone to see that even if it might cut into sales of the PSP version, it'd still be a good feature to have regardless of marketability, for us gamers.  After all, if I buy the PS3 version, I'm not likely to buy the PSP version of the same game that's pared down and it'd be great to be able to fire it up via remote play to take a few turns.  Everyone laments over game features left out that would be great, and would be very much possible to implement, but were left out for marketing reasons.

For those that have tried the demo.  How's the map size, seems like they'd try to make the maps smaller to fit console memory, but pack in more decisions in them.  How does it compare to Civ4?
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2008, 09:34:16 AM »

PSN demos are up now!! Wooh I'm as excited as a little schoolgirl! biggrin
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 10:21:38 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 06, 2008, 04:22:06 AM

Yup, can't complain about XBL's download rate. Got both the CR and BC demos, almost three gigs, in a very quick time.

The Civ Rev demo was pretty entertaining. Definitely "Civ-lite", with pop-up characters to accompany messages from the game. The barbarian guy is great. However, I do feel that for someone like me who's been a dedicated Civ player for so long, the Revolution version is going to be a bit frustrating at time when you come across features that have been Bowdlerized for the sake of making the game more appealing to casual players.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2008, 10:29:11 AM »

Quote from: ChaoZ on June 06, 2008, 03:09:44 AM

1.3gb is a little heavy for a strategy game. Giving it a shot anyway. Is this going on portables as well?

Yes, for DS. From what they've said in interviews, only the graphics and interface will differ.
The gameplay is supposed to be identical on all versions (ok, I take that back...I know the
civilopedia isn't in the DS version). The point is, the DS version isn't dumbed down further,
they run the same core.

Just like Gratch, I always liked the early game then got bogged down in it, so rarely played
Civ. I'm very much looking forward to this one.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2008, 12:33:54 PM »

Words cannot describe how upset I am that this game went to the DS instead of the PSP. I'll be grabbing the 360 version upon release.

Nintendo, I stab at thee!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 01:01:10 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 06, 2008, 09:34:16 AM

PSN demos are up now!! Wooh I'm as excited as a little schoolgirl! biggrin

Any word from them on why it took so long?  I wanted to get the PS3 demo since I anticipated the game making heavy use of the d-pad, but it wasn't there so to the 360 I went.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2008, 01:27:26 PM »

Well I gotta say that I'm a little disappointed. It's a little more cartoony and although the controls are pretty good for a console controller, it just felt really awkward compared to the mouse and hot keys of the PC version.  I'm afraid that I'm going to be leaving my Civ playing on the computer.  Civ noobs might appreciate this game though.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 01:27:36 PM »

I got the 360 version demo yesterday, and really enjoyed it. Most likely a day 1 purchase for me.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2008, 01:24:22 PM »

Wow. I downloaded the demo and tried it out over the weekend, and this game went from almost no interest to a day 1 purchase for me. I think I played the demo all weekend long. The controls are excellent. You can tell this was developed specifically for consoles. I haven't played a civ game since Civ 2. I was hopelessly addicted then, and the demo easily sucked me back in.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2008, 01:38:12 PM »

I have this on my gamefly queue hopefully if I'm super lucky it will be in the mail in a couple of days. I'm gona give the demo a try tonight I think.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: