http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 04:50:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Civilization franchise sold!  (Read 2519 times)
jztemple
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2004, 05:31:17 PM »

Civilization Sold [November 24, 2004, 09:45 am EST]

Infogrames post H1 loss, to buy back bond (thanks Jucaushii.ro) has some financial results for the developer/publisher, along with the off-hand revelation that the famed Civilization franchise has been sold:
Bonnell also said that Infogrames recently sold the franchise for the game "Civilization," making a capital gain of 15.5 million euros, which should help second-half accounts.

Any suggestion on possible buyers? I understand Rockstar is interested so they could add hidden packages and unique jumps throughout the history of civilization, not to mention the ability to attack Greek Hoplites units with a baseball bat.  :lol:
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 05:38:14 PM »

Why would they do something like this? I thought for sure that the Civ franchise was a cash cow for them  :shock:
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 06:28:31 PM »

15.5 million euros? That's a lot of dough. I'd say that Microsoft has decided to make Civ 4 a XBox exclusive.
jpinard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 06:36:29 PM »

Atari/Inforgrames is in deep shit financially.  They only had enough money to get through December, so they needed cash fast.

I am curious who would have purchased Civ for THAT much though...
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 06:39:26 PM »

Oh thanks God Atari doesn't have it's claws in Civ anymore... but I too wonder who has it now? Oh no.. anyone but VU, anyone but VU... please!

I hope it was Microsoft

jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 06:43:09 PM »

VU does not have the cash to buy it.  They're in terrible financial trouble too.  It's either Microsoft or EA.  If Microsoft makes it into some kind of X-Box franchise I'm going to be pissed as hell.  Although I'm curious where this leaves FIraxsis - who was working on Civ 4...
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 07:36:07 PM »

perhaps activision?

malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 07:37:47 PM »

Ditto. Can someone weigh in on what this means to Firaxis? I've read about them working on Civ 4. Did another company just buy the rights to THAT game an the future Civs that Firaxis does? I'm really surprised that Firaxis doesn't already own the rights to Civ.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 07:42:33 PM »

Well Activision did publish Civ's compeition a few years back, so that would be interesting.  Consiering they published Rome TOtal War, this could be a very good theory - and I'd be really happy if that were the case.  I like Activision a lot more than MS or EA.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 08:10:11 PM »

I would guess Microsoft.  I don't think they have any interest in putting it on the XBox, but they've had much success with other historical strategy games, like Age of Empires and RoN.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 10:27:14 PM »

I reckon it has to be Microsoft. I can't think of anyone else who pay so much.
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 11:36:06 PM »

Quote from: "Orgull"
Oh thanks God Atari doesn't have it's claws in Civ anymore... but I too wonder who has it now? Oh no.. anyone but VU, anyone but VU... please!

I hope it was Microsoft

I'm confused, why did it matter who had the franchise rights when you had Firaxis making the game?

This whole thread has me baffled. I really don't understand how the gaming industry works. Sid Meier's Civilization... ??

Could Firaxis have bought Civilization from Atari?
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 11:53:18 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
15.5 million euros? That's a lot of dough. I'd say that Microsoft has decided to make Civ 4 a XBox exclusive.
Yeah right.  I sure HOPE not!!!!

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2004, 06:37:45 PM »

Like malichai11 posted who says it has to be some publisher like EA or MS? Firaxis themselves could have bought it out.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2004, 07:14:37 PM »

I didn't knw Firaxis could possibly have that  much money on hand.
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2004, 08:07:41 PM »

The company wouldn't need to be flush with that much money, you can get get financing to make those kinds of purchases. My company received financing to purchase a website that cost in the million+ range, putting down about 30% of the purchase price. It just requires finding the right bank (or investors) who can be shown the value of what you're buying so they know they can recoup their investment in case of default.

Now... can anyone weigh in on how this purchase would affect Firaxis if, in fact, Firaxis didn't make the purchase?
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2004, 10:01:10 AM »

I would be surprised if anybody would purchase it, at least now.  If you are dying for the title, wait til Infrogames goes under and get it at their fire sale.
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2004, 10:17:04 AM »

Well, if Activision bought it, it will be the second time.  They bought it from Avalon Hill, it just turned out Avalon Hill never actually owned it.

I know that history pretty well, I worked on what was released as Civilization: Call to Power.  But I still have the design doc titled  Civilization 3 slywink
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2004, 06:00:51 AM »

See my post here:  http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15543

My repost:

Since it hasn't been officially announced, I thought I'd do Firaxis a favor and break the news to everyone for them:  Firaxis bought the Civilization license.

The $15 million sale from Atari to an undisclosed entity, the fact that Sid Meier is now actually involved in the design process for Civ this time around, and the fact that they're "shopping for a publisher" - can only mean Firaxis bought the rights to Civ themselves. Otherwise, they obviously would not be "shopping for a publisher".

The big question then becomes, who will publish it?
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2004, 07:00:25 AM »

Quote from: "malichai11"
I'm confused, why did it matter who had the franchise rights when you had Firaxis making the game?

This whole thread has me baffled. I really don't understand how the gaming industry works. Sid Meier's Civilization... ??

It is pretty confusing how it works, but in this case it's somewhat straightforward.  Sid Meier was the co-founder and primary creative force behind a company called Microprose.  They made and published a bunch of games, including the original Civilization.  However, at a certain point they overextended themselves and allowed themselves to be bought by another game company in order to stay afloat.  Eventually Atari bought that company.  Thus, Atari had the legal rights to past Civ games and the name. In the meantime, Sid left and formed a new company, Firaxis.  Later, Firaxis made a deal to develop Civ 3 to be published by Atari.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2004, 11:29:10 AM »

Quote from: "jpinard"
The big question then becomes, who will publish it?

I think the usual suspects would be in play here: EA and Microsoft.  The former because that would add another "name" to the conglomerate, the latter because former Civilization people are already under the umbrella on different studios (Big Huge Games and Ensemble Studios) and Civilization will fit in right at home with Age of Empires and Rise of Nations.  That's just me though.

Activision is also a possibility, but I'd say the above two are more of a possibility.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2004, 04:33:27 PM »

Let's hope for Microsoft:  Sid's design + Microsoft UI and Usability labs= possible gaming Nirvana.

Rhino

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: