http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 10:55:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Civilization 5: !#@#!@ Impressions Incoming! Brave New World!  (Read 21795 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: September 24, 2010, 05:38:44 PM »

Quote from: tgb on September 24, 2010, 11:14:54 AM

It's my understanding that once you have access to a strategic resource and have built the mine/pasture/whatever you can build with it anywhere.

You and wonderpug may be correct.  The city was just built, so I don't even have a worker out yet.  So what you guys are saying is that once I put a mine on that iron deposit - every one of my cities will be able to use that iron?  That is great news!  

So I guess it is just 'assumed' by the game that I would somehow transport that iron over to another continent for use once I have the mine built?  I'm not sure I buy into that from a realism viewpoint, but it certainly works for me from a gameplay standpoint.

Thanks for the info!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 24, 2010, 06:30:04 PM »

I completed all the tutorials and the open ended one too.  So I started a real game on Warlord setting.  I don't have any deep strategic plans.  Picked India and hope to not fight with anyone and win by culture or diplomacy.

My continent which is fairly big has two other civs, Iroquois and Songhai.  I've built five cities and there is no more good spots for more.  As India, I think the idea is to build big cities but not too many.  My cities are kind of a mess though in terms of building and lack of specialization.  I will have to plan it out better in my next game.

So far the two civs have been really nice to me.  Songhai had a short war with one of my allied City-States but he apologized for doing that and it didn't seem to hurt our relations.  I did secretly give some units to my ally but that was the extent of my assistance in that war.  I really want to try avoid any fighting for this game.  Recently, Iroquois declared war on Songhai.  I think they saw that Songhai was pretty weak.  Iroquois is winning by points, I am second.  I'm a bit worried that if they wipe out Songhai and have most of the continent to themselves, I might be the next likely target.

I forget what year I'm in but I was the first to get optics (rushed it a bit) and just started exploring the rest of the world.  It's a bit strange that there are 3 or 4 other civs (I think the default map is 6 civs?) out there that I haven't met yet and have no idea where they are.  Judging from the minimap, I don't see much room left where they could be but I guess that is a little deceptive since it seems to scale to the known world.  My first ships have discovered an island city-state and another tiny empty island with 3 horse/cattle resources on it.  I'm debating sending a settler over but the island is tiny, about 4 hexes.  I have no room for expansion on my continent though so I will probably send that settler.  I should be able to find the rest of the world very soon.  I've got several ships auto exploring.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 24, 2010, 08:23:21 PM »

I wish I could figure out why I am having no fun at all with this.  I did some playing today with the Germans on Warlord I think it was (3rd difficulty level), got up to about 200 BC.  Was still in the ancient era, despite just about every other civ making it to the classical era.  Wiped out the civ that was on my continent, but have spent most of my time just trying to ward off the barbarians with my 1 archer and 5 warrior units.  I realize I am playing on epic game speed, which is slower than standard, but man oh man, it takes me 20-30 turns to build anything or research anything.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 24, 2010, 09:22:14 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on September 24, 2010, 05:38:44 PM

So I guess it is just 'assumed' by the game that I would somehow transport that iron over to another continent for use once I have the mine built?  I'm not sure I buy into that from a realism viewpoint, but it certainly works for me from a gameplay standpoint.

Mechanics-wise, think of it like Kohan, if you ever played that.  You have a mine on an iron deposit in your territory?  Your civilization can now use that iron to build units that require iron wherever your civilization can build units.

Realism-wise, keep in mind that even if you had a road connected to the iron or a harbor in the iron-mining city, you wouldn't be tending to iron transport carts or cargo boats; it's just stuff you assume happens behind the scenes.  Well when you find a really important resource, surely your advisors or support staff would commandeer the nearest private shipping vessel to get said resource to wherever needs to go ASAP.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 24, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »

Oh, and why the heck does Steam go into a synchronizing mode every time I shut down Civ?  It chews up a ton of resources and monopolizes my bandwidth for like 10 minutes.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 24, 2010, 10:09:35 PM »

Hmm...I don't know...The game looks beautiful, and the UI is fantastic and streamlined and everything looks great but... meh. It feels soulless to me for some reason.

I cant put my bony finger on it, but its not very interesting to.

Back to playing Fall from heaven 2 for me I guess

A new one
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 24, 2010, 10:15:16 PM »

Well, it feels just like Civ to me.  Having fun so far, but haven't played it enough yet to see how much I like the changes.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 24, 2010, 11:03:44 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 24, 2010, 09:22:14 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on September 24, 2010, 05:38:44 PM

Mechanics-wise, think of it like Kohan, if you ever played that.  You have a mine on an iron deposit in your territory?  Your civilization can now use that iron to build units that require iron wherever your civilization can build units.

Realism-wise, keep in mind that even if you had a road connected to the iron or a harbor in the iron-mining city, you wouldn't be tending to iron transport carts or cargo boats; it's just stuff you assume happens behind the scenes.  Well when you find a really important resource, surely your advisors or support staff would commandeer the nearest private shipping vessel to get said resource to wherever needs to go ASAP.

That works for me.  It even sounds reasonable.

Thanks

@Raz:  I've heard Civ 5 called quite a few things the past few days - but "soulless" is something I never thought I'd hear.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 24, 2010, 11:37:23 PM »

the civilization song!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 25, 2010, 01:31:12 AM »

Played the demo about 10 minutes and immediately went and bought it.  nod Downloading now (at a very nice 2.2MB/s).

Can't wait to fire it up!

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 25, 2010, 04:04:07 AM »

Arkon and Raz, I would guess you guys are just burnt out on Civ I guess. Love the game myself, can't get enough of it. It does need a couple of patches, but over all it's pretty awesome.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: September 25, 2010, 04:57:21 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 24, 2010, 08:23:21 PM

I wish I could figure out why I am having no fun at all with this.  I did some playing today with the Germans on Warlord I think it was (3rd difficulty level), got up to about 200 BC.  Was still in the ancient era, despite just about every other civ making it to the classical era.  Wiped out the civ that was on my continent, but have spent most of my time just trying to ward off the barbarians with my 1 archer and 5 warrior units.  I realize I am playing on epic game speed, which is slower than standard, but man oh man, it takes me 20-30 turns to build anything or research anything.

(SLAP)STOP...(SLAP)PLAYING...(SLAP)EPIC!

I can't stand epic speed! It's waaaay too slow. Go back to the normal speed and you'll have a lot more fun.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 25, 2010, 05:02:18 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on September 25, 2010, 04:57:21 AM

Quote from: Arkon on September 24, 2010, 08:23:21 PM

I can't stand epic speed! It's waaaay too slow. Go back to the normal speed and you'll have a lot more fun.
I used to love epic speed. In Civ IV by the time I built the units I had already researched an upgrade in normal speed. But V is much slower, and this isn't the case. I am still using spearmen in 600AD because I can't fine anymore iron though. frown Anyway, seems they got normal speed just right this time.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 25, 2010, 05:42:25 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 24, 2010, 10:09:35 PM

Hmm...I don't know...The game looks beautiful, and the UI is fantastic and streamlined and everything looks great but... meh. It feels soulless to me for some reason.

I think "soulless" is an exagerration, but the game does seem to be missing some of the little things that added personality to the series.  Streamlining has taken away a lot of the things that were standard and now it feels a lot different.  I like a lot of things they've changed, but I can understand why someone might feel put off by it.  And it doesn't help that they've made the mechanics less transparent in a lot of ways, which means it's not as easy to figure out what's going on and how to get better.

At its core I think it's still a Civ game, but they tried to make it more appealing to the non Civ grognard crowd and that means not everyone is going to be happy.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 25, 2010, 06:38:43 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on September 25, 2010, 05:42:25 AM

Quote from: Razgon on September 24, 2010, 10:09:35 PM

I think "soulless" is an exagerration, but the game does seem to be missing some of the little things that added personality to the series.  Streamlining has taken away a lot of the things that were standard and now it feels a lot different.  I like a lot of things they've changed, but I can understand why someone might feel put off by it.  And it doesn't help that they've made the mechanics less transparent in a lot of ways, which means it's not as easy to figure out what's going on and how to get better.

At its core I think it's still a Civ game, but they tried to make it more appealing to the non Civ grognard crowd and that means not everyone is going to be happy.

Hmm. Your post doesn't make sense to me, although I do feel the game has some issues that needed to be fixed.

I don't know if the game is streamlined really, just made it a bit easier to follow thanks to the the pop up tips that clue you onto some of the things you need to do every turn. I am actually finding the game easier to figure out than what I remember with Civ IV because of the in game feedback. It's just different. If you played 4 a ton it takes a bit to get used to, but I am finding the mechanics easier to grasp due to the interface. The interface seems to be streamlined to me, not the game itself.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 25, 2010, 06:14:05 PM »

Civ V is different no doubt, I don't think that I could have survived as long in previous versions with the tiny army I have.  I guess cities being able to defend themselves allows for that.  Iron has been a bitch to get in the few games I've played and half of it seems to spawn in the borders of a nearby city-state, guess I need to make friends more often.  One thing I noticed when playing on an islands map, if you tell your workers to automatically build improvements they will embark and cross the sea if possible.  Not a problem except I noticed a worker on one island embarking and heading to the mainland to work while at the same time a worker from the mainland is embarking to head to the island.  Lots of inefficiency.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 25, 2010, 09:23:19 PM »

Does anyone else have problems getting the starting movie to stop playing and get to the menus?  Sometimes I hit any key and it ends, but lately I can't get the movie to stop at all.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 25, 2010, 09:43:32 PM »

The intro movie masks a load, so it's going to run for a certain amount of time no matter what you do.  I feel like hitting a key during the movie will cut it as soon as the load is done, but not before.  I think there's an ini hack you can do to stop the movie playing, but then you're staring at a black screen during that load.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: September 25, 2010, 10:26:47 PM »

I just played and won my first game. Cultural victory in 1963 AD. Achieved a rating of Winston Churchill (#5) and a score of 1892. Played as Greece. Warlord difficulty. Standard sized map with the Continents style.

It sure was different from how I would have played earlier Civilization games. I had to rethink my habits. I stopped expanding when I had four cities in total, and when I invaded a pesky neighbor at one point, I set up his three cities as puppet cities. When I later had to destroy another neighbor's military capabilities just because she was getting hostile, I burned the three cities she gave me to the ground. The two of us had a massive continent almost to ourselves in the end, but less than half of it was actually settled, with me in the minority.

When going for a cultural victory, you get punished hard if you expand too much. It's going to be interesting to see what people end up considering the sweet spot when it comes to the number of cities. As it is, I didn't do too bad, but accumulating culture was a slow process. In the end I was getting more than 650 culture points per turn, and it still took 10 turns per policy.

My policy choices ended up giving me a whole crapload of Great Artists too. After building half a dozen monuments I just started using them to trigger golden ages. I think I spent nearly 1/4 of the game in golden ages. I had as much as 40 happy faces at one point, but it varied a lot depending on my trade agreements.

City states weren't terribly important in this match. Most of them (at least on my continent) were out of the way and didn't present any kind of an obstacle. My neighbor started attacking enough of them near the end that all the city states in the world declared war on her. I think she did it just to spite me. Most of the city states in the world were allied to me, something that was easy to accomplish when playing Alexander and earning plenty of gold. The missions they gave me were usually very hard to accomplish since I'd be tasked to kill barbarians in the middle of other civilizations' borders or defending a city state on the other side of the continent.

Great fun, all in all. The game took me about 12 hours to complete, so I think I need a little break now before I go at it again with a random leader. smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 25, 2010, 10:28:01 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 25, 2010, 10:26:47 PM

I just played and won my first game. Cultural victory in 1963 AD.

you should have waited until 1969 for that victory  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 26, 2010, 12:21:56 AM »

So I've been at war with England for a while, and made a peace treaty.  Thought I would rest up my forces before marching on.  Usually they offered 10 turns.  I must have gone over 20 and I haven't seen any messages saying our treaty expired.  I try to declare war by either marching on their land, or through diplomacy, and it doesn't allow me.  Has anyone seen peace treaty terms go over 10 turns?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 26, 2010, 02:47:09 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on September 25, 2010, 09:43:32 PM

The intro movie masks a load, so it's going to run for a certain amount of time no matter what you do.  I feel like hitting a key during the movie will cut it as soon as the load is done, but not before.  I think there's an ini hack you can do to stop the movie playing, but then you're staring at a black screen during that load.

You don't even need to edit an INI. Just delete the video files. I'd rather the blank screen over that video.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 26, 2010, 04:43:54 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 24, 2010, 11:37:23 PM

I'm probably way behind the curve on this, but apparently the Civ song already has lyrics.  The song is titled "Baba Yetu" and is a translation of the Lords Prayer into Swahili. The song with the Swahili lyrics and the English translation below is here.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 26, 2010, 04:54:31 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on September 25, 2010, 04:57:21 AM

Yeah, "Epic" in Civ 4 is the new "Normal" in Civ 5.  It gives you plenty of time to appreciate the effects of technological advancements before they're superseded by something even better, but still moves along at a brisk enough clip that you don't feel bogged down.

-Autistic Angel
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 26, 2010, 06:50:32 AM »

Okay, played some more. Why are there no spies anymore? Why can't I see a single thing that the enemy does ? I'm completely blind when i build stuff. I have a nagging suspicion its because the AI doesnt play the game like we do, so allowing us a chance to see whats going on with them, would reveal that.

Won a game on prince at year 1996, got some 4000 points for that and a static screen with some text for my space race victory. No outtro? wierd,

I also find a bit a strange that you now have the whole one-unit-per-tile system,which in theory should be brilliant to make chokepoints against the AI, but when you can just sail with any unit, its competely useless in most situations.

AI is not very good, and diplomcay makes no sense whatsoever. I really like the civ4 system in fall from heaven where you can see what you recent actions have done to improve or not your relations with the guy you'r talking with. I guess I could write all that down, but still? right now it feels kinda like Master of Magic with schizophrenic rulers who one second wants to ally with you against some common enemy, the next moment he calls you names, then wants to make a research agreement with you, and when you have that, he attacks you. I have no idea whats going on, but I'm treating every other civ like barbariens, i.e. I have units ready to kill him all the time.

My revised opinion, after playing some more, is that the game looks great, and has some nice systems in place, but it doesnt grab me for some reason. There are also some stuff I dont like about it, like all the above, and how fast ones research gets outdated.

Oh well, he's hoping Kael makes a fall from heaven for it :-)

edit: it seems the AI is basing his threat assesment of you on what he can see - thats actually nice, and makes it make a whole lot more sense if thats true.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 07:12:54 AM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 26, 2010, 11:44:22 AM »

If you are worried re the choke points you get a naval unit around it and if they try to get round you you take it out - probably makes that even more realistic imho.

AI seems really poor and diplomacy i'm totally unimpressed with

I love the game however!

MP wise you may not know this but some poor decisions they made:

No movement or attack animations - disabled in MP frown
Auto end turn has no pause ability - wtf were they thinking!

No manual save or poorly implemented imho!

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 26, 2010, 02:08:58 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 26, 2010, 06:50:32 AM

... how fast ones research gets outdated.

I disagree here, the game is much slower than 4. I would play 4 at epic speed but don't feel the need in 5 since techs seem to last longer before becoming outdated.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: September 26, 2010, 02:25:23 PM »

Yeah, in Civ 4 I felt reluctance towards building new units since they would be obsolete almost before they were done being built. In Civ 5 your units stay relevant for much longer.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 27, 2010, 02:01:09 PM »

Update on my long-ass game:

As the (not so) great Chinese Empire slowly approaches the Industrial Age (nearing turn 500 on Epic speed - King Level) - the world powers have sort of nestled in and the landscape of how things shake out are taking shape.

First, I am at war with the monstrosity that is the Ottoman Empire.  13 cities (4 of them puppets) that I can SEE.  God knows if there are 1 or 2 more hidden in the fog of war yet.  England hangs on by a thread, nursing along 3 smallish cities that the Ottoman's didn't take for some reason.  They are far and away in last place of the 5 civs that remain.  Germany is a titch above me in the rankings, and is doing it all with 3 cities from what I can tell.  They seem to be in financial turmoil though, and their leader is a stubborn SOB, and wants nothing to do with me.  Last but certainly not least (on a completely different continent) is America.  They just wiped out Greece, and now have their continent to themselves.  I'm doing everything in my power to make nice with them, hoping they will blow the Ottoman Empire into dust.  From what I can tell though, diplomacy is a S-L-O-W process in Civ 5. 

The Ottoman's and I have been at war for God-knows-how-long now, ever since they took over my one city that had iron.  I have been iron-less ever since, and my ability to defend my lands without it will surely be much more difficult now that they have just dinged into the Industrial Age, and I am quite a few turns away.  There are other sources of iron of course... but the only one that seems feasible right now is becoming allies with Venice (a city state with bunches of it).  I just met them though, and am now trying to save enough money for a nice little 500 gold gift.

I have 5 cities, and will likely only be settling one more where I'm at.  It's going to have to do.  A sustained war is out of the question, as the Ottoman's seem to have an endless supply of troops.  If it weren't for my dominant navy (I LOVE navy in this game), I'd probably already be toast.  The problem is... frigates take iron - so my navy is soon to be outdated.  I have upgraded three ships to have a 3 range though, do to the massive amounts of experience they have, which is so awesome.

So we'll see if I can live long enough to have America come to my aid at some point.  The Ottoman's want no parts of a Peace Treaty, so unless something unexpected happens, I've got to hope the A.I. isn't smart enough to make ships and come sink my only real force.  They seem to have a lot of iron tied up into ground troops though, so maybe I'll be ok for a bit.

"China is here, Mr. Burton." 
"What does that mean, 'China is here?'  I don't even know what the hell that means."

LD

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 27, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »

Quote from: naednek on September 26, 2010, 12:21:56 AM

So I've been at war with England for a while, and made a peace treaty.  Thought I would rest up my forces before marching on.  Usually they offered 10 turns.  I must have gone over 20 and I haven't seen any messages saying our treaty expired.  I try to declare war by either marching on their land, or through diplomacy, and it doesn't allow me.  Has anyone seen peace treaty terms go over 10 turns?

I was finally going to win one on prince.   I was attacking ramses, beat him down a bit, and then I had to attend to this other dude on the other continant.
 So I made a treaty with rameses.   After I took care of buissness on the other continant, I moved all my troops back to Egypts border..   Awesome army.   Ramses is now Ahead on scoreboards (Monument hog I got to beat him back down. My army is huge, 30 happiness..  modern armor on the board vs. infantry.

It wouldnt let me declare war..   Turn after turn my army built, but it never let me attack him.  
After about a hundred turns he won the game at 2050.   I was #2...

I thought that maybe when we made the peace treaty somehow he suckered me into a very long one and maybe I did not pay attention.

But, now I am thinking it was a bug.   crybaby
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 02:09:44 PM by Morgul » Logged
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 27, 2010, 02:09:48 PM »

I'm only in here for one reason. I have a simple declaration.

Bismarck is a dick. Always. Every game. I've played three now and he's always the same way. I will expend every ounce of my effort toward crushing him in every game from now on.

On the other hand, I rather like being pals with Ghandi. He whines a little, and that's annoying, but he never really builds any military and seems to suck at the culture thing too, so I just kind of let him do his own thing most of the time. I just surround him with my own cities so he has to stick with his two or three, refuse open borders so he can't get settlers out, and he stays right where he's supposed to.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 27, 2010, 02:17:19 PM »

ya, i think i'm going to borrow civ 4 from my brother.  I played it when it first came out, so I'm sure with all the patches it will be better.  This game is fun, but I don't want to deal with the peace treaty bug until it's fixed.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 27, 2010, 05:22:07 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 26, 2010, 06:50:32 AM

edit: it seems the AI is basing his threat assesment of you on what he can see - thats actually nice, and makes it make a whole lot more sense if thats true.

Oh crap, that might explain why Russia suddenly became hostile towards me and called me Puny after I agreed to an open border treaty.

So do the different leaders actually have unique personalities?  The behaviour I've seen so far is that they declare war on you as soon as they think they are more powerful.  Is that true for every Civ or would someone like Gandhi actually not do that?

I've had Iroquois declare war on me every 10 years or so.  He attacks me at the same spot.  I beat him back.  He makes peace.  Rinse and repeat every 10 years.  Since he attacks at the same spot, I've been able to setup a good defense and can hold out against his superior technology.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 27, 2010, 06:44:33 PM »

At first I thought Japan had the strongest traits..  (bushido + samurai)

But, I played russia this weekend and that bonus to production and double resources were sweet.

I also played the greeks, and city states love them, plus the hoplites seem good in the early game. 

(Some of those ruins upgraded two of my warriors to hoplites, gave me a nice jump on barbarians and the civs close to my border).

But, late game with russia and all that iron and oil..   

I am wondering about Montuzuma and Egypt.    The golden tomb thing egypt has looks nice.   
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 27, 2010, 10:20:58 PM »

Yep, I think they did a fairly good job of assigning bonuses to civs.  They are quite varied.  (well, for single player anyway.  MP is a different story entirely.)-ed  When I first looked over the civs, I immediately felt that Russia and to some degree Japan looked to be the strongest myself... but I'm sure that may change as I learn more about the game.  Because of my fascination with naval units - I'm excited to try England.  I do wish there was a bit more variety in the naval ship department, but maybe a mod or expansion can help with that.

Regarding civ personalities... I watched a preview video somewhere that said the hard-coded tendencies for certain civs to act certain ways is definately in the game.  For instance, I think it's hard-coded that Bismark is a duchebag.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 02:42:46 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

map

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 27, 2010, 11:31:12 PM »

Uh-oh, I'm a little over 500 turns in on a large map with only two other opponents and it's taking over a minute to process turns[and i have 6 gigs of memory on a pretty fast machine].

Save America, shoot your television.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 28, 2010, 03:54:05 AM »

Quote from: Morgul on September 27, 2010, 06:44:33 PM

At first I thought Japan had the strongest traits..  (bushido + samurai)

But, I played russia this weekend and that bonus to production and double resources were sweet.

I also played the greeks, and city states love them, plus the hoplites seem good in the early game.  

(Some of those ruins upgraded two of my warriors to hoplites, gave me a nice jump on barbarians and the civs close to my border).

But, late game with russia and all that iron and oil..  

I am wondering about Montuzuma and Egypt.    The golden tomb thing egypt has looks nice.  

Try Persia.  Its special power is a lot of fun.  Golden Ages last 50% longer and during Golden Ages units receive a movement bonus and a 10% attack and defense bonus.  The movement bonus allows some really interesting maneuvering -- your infantry units can now cross rivers and keep going on the other side.  Combine with Chichen Itza's 50% Golden Age bonus to take full advantage of it.  Also the Persian Immortal is a kick-ass early game unit.  Slightly stronger than the Spearman it replaces, it heals at double the standard rate.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 28, 2010, 04:44:07 AM »

I've been having fun with France - working towards a cultural victory.  I'm still early in the game (400 AD) however produce 26 culture a turn and am a couple steps into my second civic group (or whatever they are calling them now).
tgb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 28, 2010, 11:30:26 AM »

Quote from: map on September 27, 2010, 11:31:12 PM

Uh-oh, I'm a little over 500 turns in on a large map with only two other opponents and it's taking over a minute to process turns[and i have 6 gigs of memory on a pretty fast machine].

500 turns is the end of the game, isn't it?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 28, 2010, 11:33:10 AM »

He's probably on epic or marathon.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: