http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 04:07:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Civilization 5: !#@#!@ Impressions Incoming! Brave New World!  (Read 21670 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 22, 2010, 04:20:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 21, 2010, 07:31:42 PM

I can take my netbook into the bathroom....

Tongue

it's when you leave the friggin' webcam on that ticks us off...

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 22, 2010, 04:54:25 PM »

I played Civ 5 for somewhere around 6 or 7 hours yesterday and I absolutely love it.  I think all the new mechanics they made really improve the game, but I think the one that does the most is the "one unit per tile" change.  I found a city-state that was on a peninsula and the peninsula was one hex wide.  If I wanted to take that place, there is pretty much no way by land to do it as I would only be able to maybe attack with two units, instead of being able to surround.  Now, that doesn't stop me from making a navy and doing it that way, but at the moment, my navy is not strong.  Still, the lack of unit stacks in the game make geography matter much more and I really like that result.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 22, 2010, 07:10:56 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 22, 2010, 04:54:25 PM

I played Civ 5 for somewhere around 6 or 7 hours yesterday and I absolutely love it.  I think all the new mechanics they made really improve the game, but I think the one that does the most is the "one unit per tile" change.  I found a city-state that was on a peninsula and the peninsula was one hex wide.  If I wanted to take that place, there is pretty much no way by land to do it as I would only be able to maybe attack with two units, instead of being able to surround.  Now, that doesn't stop me from making a navy and doing it that way, but at the moment, my navy is not strong.  Still, the lack of unit stacks in the game make geography matter much more and I really like that result.

Same sort of shit happened to me yesterday grue.   I was attacking a city on a peninsula coast with only 1 tile of land adjacent.   
Now, I dont want to lose my units, because I have been building allot of experience on them over all this fighting..  (I had swordsmen and a few muskets)..

I moved a bunch of units in range of their city...   And their city would bombard different ones.  When the unit that was adjacent got beat down too bad, I would run it out and move the next one in, rotating them in and out of the combat hex.

Was cool.  Oh yea, one of the units turned into a ship to travel and I attacked with it.  The "ship" was weak, and the city detroyed and sunk it  So I didnt try that anymore.

It was a PITA, cost me several units, but I finally got it down.  I didnt have a navy at the time, just a few work boats.  But I was wishing for a battle ship.
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 22, 2010, 07:43:38 PM »

I'd like to write this really long post about how much fun I'm having with this game, but that would just take away from actually playing the game itself. smile

Awesome game.  thumbsup

Now, time to rush back to my little Russian kingdom...

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 22, 2010, 07:53:09 PM »

Quote from: Qantaga on September 22, 2010, 07:43:38 PM

Now, time to rush back to my little Russian kingdom...

ah, my first game of the original Civ ended in an epic war with the Russians.  I totally missed the deadline to win but kept on going out of spite; I think it ended around 2300 after a massive back and forth battle to take Moscow with tanks and nukes.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 22, 2010, 08:23:34 PM »

just played the demo. I'm hooked. It's so much improved and easier to get into.

and bought.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 22, 2010, 10:37:45 PM »

Quote from: Qantaga on September 22, 2010, 07:43:38 PM

I'd like to write this really long post about how much fun I'm having with this game, but that would just take away from actually playing the game itself. smile

What he said.

Drive-by impressions are that it's a much bigger change from Civ IV than I was expecting, even having read plenty of previews.  The hexes, non-stacking units, and ranged warfare are all refreshing awesome additions, but the slower pace of building city improvements and expanding new cities has thrown me for a loop, as has the huge presence of the city states.  I totally didn't expect them to outnumber real civilizations 2:1.

I think it's just a transition and learning curve I have to get through.  The slower construction and expansion does already seem to make it so the decision of "what to build next?" is that much more critical, whereas in previous editions I'd just blindly queue up the first 5 go-to city improvements without much headscratching.  Also, I haven't played enough games to know whether standard, epic, or marathon speed will best match my play preference.

I'm still getting a huge one more turn vibe, so I'd say I'm more baffled than expected but still as hopeful as ever about an impending addiction.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 23, 2010, 12:31:01 AM »

Just coming off a 6 hour session myself.  I'm trying to lead China to a cultural victory.  I'm smack in the middle of the Medieval Age (epic game length) and I am just SO into it.

Huge thumbs up from me so far!  I gotta' go get some work done! 

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 23, 2010, 12:55:23 AM »

I got home from work last night and did a 7-8hrs stretch. It was suppose to be a quick game that almost had me calling out from work today.
One_more_turnitist (OMT). Love this game so far its like moving from WindowsXP to 7, just need to learn where everything is at and I am good to conqure the world

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: September 23, 2010, 02:14:27 AM »

Just downloaded the demo and had a ball with it. Can't wait to get the full version!
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 23, 2010, 02:27:45 AM »

I think I just encountered my first bug (as opposed to some rough spots). I had two AIs declare war on me although only one was really attacking, and he was coming in hard. I wasn't ready, had a spearmen being built next turn, and also purchased another spearmen. Next turn both of them were in my city and saying they needed orders, but attack was grayed out for both and it would not let me attack, even after I moved one of them out of the city. Was pretty frustrating.

Also this game I had given orders to a unit, ended the turn and then it popped up in the middle of the enemies turn that the unit needed orders. The game I started tonight just seems a bit more buggy than the one I was playing last night where I had no issues. That same unit I had given a build road order to during my turn.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 23, 2010, 06:41:05 AM »

Can someone explain Optics research for me. I researched this to get the embark. In the description it says you can then travel the oceans but it appears to be limited to one/two sea tiles away from land! Is this a case of the description being wrong.

Also units that were build before optics to they need to gain it as a promotion skill? Units built after it seem to get it already?

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 23, 2010, 08:26:51 AM »

Quote from: Tals on September 23, 2010, 06:41:05 AM

Can someone explain Optics research for me. I researched this to get the embark. In the description it says you can then travel the oceans but it appears to be limited to one/two sea tiles away from land! Is this a case of the description being wrong.

Also units that were build before optics to they need to gain it as a promotion skill? Units built after it seem to get it already?

Once you have Optics all units get the embark skill regardless of when they were built. The range of your embarked units is the same as your seafaring technology; in other words, they'll have the same coastal/shallow water limit that your early ships do. Once you research Astronomy and are able to build seafaring ships then your embarked units will also gain the ability to travel the oceans.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
tgb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 23, 2010, 11:25:28 AM »

I don't know if this is a bug, or I'm missing something. I gifted one of my units to a City-state, but got no influence in return. One of the other City-states sent me a message that I would gain influence for every Barbarian I kill, but that doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere either. Finally, how the heck did Hiawatha manage an alliance with a City-state within 50 turns? (This is at the Prince level, where the A.I. gets no benefits, presumably).
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 23, 2010, 12:41:46 PM »

In my game last night (prince difficulty) all the other leaders hate me.  Its been a constant war with someone from the get go.  They break open boarders treaties in a heartbeat.

I finally forced myself from the computer at 1 AM.   Rome is going crazy and I think they are going to beat me down.  Allot of the other A.I. are dead now.   The only way I ever get any breathing room is to declare those 10 day peace deals..  And the A.I. only offers to do that when he is damn near beat.

Games take a long time, because instead of clicking "end turn" constanly your instead fighting and scheming.     
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 23, 2010, 12:47:59 PM »

From my own experience, the amount of influence one gets (at Prince level that is) from gifting units is very small.  I'm not sure if there is a social policy in the 'city state tree' that can help that or not.  I'm not very far down that tree in my own game.  

As far as getting influence from every barbarian you kill - I don't know.  Maybe it's every barbarian from a particular barbarian settlement that is giving that city-state problems?

50 turns for an alliance?  The only way I could see that happening is he found a really nice gold cache in an ancient ruin, and spent that money on his relations.  Otherwise, he's damn better at managing his money than I am!

- - -

I'm at about 150AD in my game leading the Chinese to world domination.  icon_neutral   I'm guessing that's about 170 turns into the game at epic level, but that's an approximation.  In my game, the Ottoman Empire is seriously kicking some major butt.  Germany, England, and I have formed a tentative pact (all declared war against the Empire) to bring them down a peg or two.  Of course, I'm on an isolated part of a continent, and have offered exactly zero aid to the war effort.  Some ally.

In my particular game, Iron is damn near non-existant.  There is one City-State in the entire exposed area that even has it, and that is Warsaw... who happens to also be strategically set next to the Ottomans, and nowhere near me.  I tried taking out another city-state without siege equipment (no iron, so no siege...) - and got my shit handed to me bigtime.  What a failed little 'war' that was for the Chinese.  Saving enough money to get in good with Warsaw, not to mention having trade routes via the ocean that AA was talking about earlier, is a lot easier said than done!

Such an incredibly fun and engaging game so far.  I'm not far enough into it to see the glaring diplomacy issues that exist, so I'm still fat, dumb and happy in my stellar impressions of Civ 5 right now.  

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 23, 2010, 02:16:31 PM »

I'm loving that the resources force you to make tough decisions about whether and where to place cities.  In the past, it was just expand like crazy, and terrain was more important than resources, particularly if you already had a particular resource.  Now, I'm finding myself planting cities specifically to claim resources, even if the terrain is less hospitable.

For example, last night I founded a city to grab up four different luxury resources around it.  Several turns later, I notice my happiness is pretty low, and it's because I have a lot of cities.  Just after that, I research iron working, and find that the one iron spot on the continent is a 6 mine that's just out of reach of my new city.  Wound up deciding to buy a settler to found a city to grab it, then rushing to mine/plantation all the luxury resources I could to get back to happy times.  In the past, I'd never have founded a city that fast or that close, but now it becomes a viable strategy. 

This will all pay off once I get trebuchets.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 23, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »

I completed my first play-through of the game last night on Chieftain level.  I won in the 1800s with a domination victory as I polished off Egypt.  It's funny because I was off to kill off the city-state Oslo to find that Egypt had just started to invade, themselves.  I wasn't going to let that happen so I proceeded to go from city to city (they had about 10 cities on this little land mass) wreaking havoc.  My navy made short work of their coastal cities (though you do have to have a land unit to actually take it over, which caused me some delays as I was waiting for them to get there by boat) and my land army I had in the north marched downward, sealing their doom.  Wiping out so many cities so quickly definitely takes its toll on your civilizations happiness, but I didn't care because I knew the game was about to be over.

I think next I will try for one of the other victory conditions and really try to delve deeper into the strategy of what you do with a city based on what resources are available to you.  I was kind of randomly picking things to build and now I want to think a little deeper now that I've played a game.  Maybe I'll even do the tutorial. smile

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 23, 2010, 02:53:56 PM »

I'm partway through a Japanese game on Warlord difficulty, and I dread the day I find myself the target of an invasion led by Samurai.  These guys take Iron to build, but between their strength rating and the Japanese special trait of fighting at full strength even when wounded, they just cleave through everything in their path.  One of mine gained enough experience conquering the English that he's qualified for the "March" promotion which lets him heal every round, even while moving and attacking. saywhat

-Autistic Angel
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 23, 2010, 03:19:09 PM »

I have a feeling the Japanese will rank very high on the civs list for multiplayer.  They seem to be absolutely awesome.  

Another thing I failed to mention in my game that has caused no end of strife:  Road Maintenance...  
Now, I'm not 100% sure how the whole upkeep system works for land improvements yet - but I am reasonably sure that road maintenance is a giant pain in the ass.  I used to be one of those players that built roads everywhere.  "Look, a duck farm!  Build a road to it!"  "Oh hey!  that's a pretty rock formation!  One roadway coming up!"   That whole dumb little playstyle is coming to an abrupt end in Civ 5.  So, a little hint if you haven't figured it out yet:  If you don't need a road, or it doesn't make fiscal sense - don't build it.

I'm not sure how this applies (if at all) to other improvements that your workers can do.  Hopefully someone can clarify if it's just roads, or any upgrade to any tile.  But if it IS all tile upgrades - I'd think twice before putting your workers on automatic 'hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to work I go' mode when playing on the highest difficulty levels.  (though I believe it's just roads.)

Another dumb question:  Upgrading units.  Let's take the warrior --> swordsman upgrade as an example.  If you don't have the iron resource, will the upgrade option be blocked?  I'm assuming it will - but haven't gotten to a point where I can check.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 03:44:03 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 23, 2010, 03:50:33 PM »

ugh.  I like roads everywhere so my military can move quickly.  I didn't know city buildings, roads and maybe even tile improvements cost...

I also raped about 6 new cities early on in a vigorous war.  I annexed them, since I am not really sure what the "puppet state" means in the long run or when it is wise to raze....  
My happiness dropped like a rock, My gold went into the negative, my troops started deserting on me..   I declared a peace for 10 turns, popped 2 golden ages and finally started getting in the green...   Kept putting improvements.. built roads to all the new cities

But, Rome built up huge in this time, and I think they are going to smoke me.

(I had no idea why the happiness dropped SO bad..   It left me really weak when my troops started deserting...   Rome even told me I was weak, heh.. )     I guess I need to know more about the cost of roads and tiles, building, what puppet states do, etc..

When your in a ruff war, have a huge aggressive and rich army like Rome massing on your border, barbs running amok everywhere, etc the last thing you want to see is troops vanishing..  ugh   Somehow I recovered, but I think, unless I get lucky, it is going to cost me the game.

Rome is way ahead in troops, even with me in technology, and far richer..
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 03:52:40 PM by Morgul » Logged
tgb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 23, 2010, 03:59:52 PM »

Mouse over the happiness display - every city causes 2 unhappiness, and every population point causes 1. Those figures can, of course, be mitigated buy buildings, wonders, and social policies.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 23, 2010, 07:24:41 PM »

I'm really liking it so far.

Only minor complaint is that the graphics get jerky at times and I don't know why.  It's smoothly rendering at 40fps and suddenly it will dip for a second or two.  Memory leak or something?
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 23, 2010, 09:42:17 PM »

Is it wrong that I spent most of my working day thinking about the Circus that was nearing completion in Rostov to give Catherine a much-needed happiness boost?

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 23, 2010, 10:10:44 PM »

Quote from: Qantaga on September 23, 2010, 09:42:17 PM

Is it wrong that I spent most of my working day thinking about the Circus that was nearing completion in Rostov to give Catherine a much-needed happiness boost?

Wouldn't the Stables work better? Or does the circus include the Lipizzan Stallions?  ninja
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 10:13:07 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 23, 2010, 10:12:06 PM »

Quote from: skystride on September 23, 2010, 07:24:41 PM

I'm really liking it so far.

Only minor complaint is that the graphics get jerky at times and I don't know why.  It's smoothly rendering at 40fps and suddenly it will dip for a second or two.  Memory leak or something?

I'm getting slowdowns over time, which makes me think there is a memory leak.   Restarting restores my normal, snappy speed. 

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 24, 2010, 02:28:49 AM »

Quote from: Morgul on September 23, 2010, 03:50:33 PM

ugh.  I like roads everywhere so my military can move quickly.  I didn't know city buildings, roads and maybe even tile improvements cost...

I also raped about 6 new cities early on in a vigorous war.  I annexed them, since I am not really sure what the "puppet state" means in the long run or when it is wise to raze....   
My happiness dropped like a rock, My gold went into the negative, my troops started deserting on me..   I declared a peace for 10 turns, popped 2 golden ages and finally started getting in the green...   Kept putting improvements.. built roads to all the new cities

(I had no idea why the happiness dropped SO bad..   It left me really weak when my troops started deserting...   Rome even told me I was weak, heh.. )     I guess I need to know more about the cost of roads and tiles, building, what puppet states do, etc..

When your in a ruff war, have a huge aggressive and rich army like Rome massing on your border, barbs running amok everywhere, etc the last thing you want to see is troops vanishing..  ugh   Somehow I recovered, but I think, unless I get lucky, it is going to cost me the game.

Working Happiness
Your Civs starts off happy (difficulty lvl determine how much). Every citizen costs one point of unhappiness, cities cost two.
your job is to find new ways to make your people happy.  This don't mean its OK to go buying tiles or dropping cities next to luxury tiles.
you would want to reseach Mining, bronze Working, Iron working. This is the early path for a conqueror that will reveal Gems, Silver, Gold or other luxury that add +5 happiness.
Next you have wonders and buildings that produce happiness example Coliseums, Circuses, Theaters etc.
Then you have Policies to Promote happines Piety for one have two Branches one adds 2 happines to you r empire and another reduces unhappiness by 20%. Legalism have tradition that reduces by 33%. There are more under policies but hopefully this will you or anyone else with this issue out\off on the right foot.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 24, 2010, 03:47:50 AM »

Couple of questions...

1) I saved the game to my PC, then made a new save on the cloud. This prevented me from saving anymore to my PC, even if I unchecked cloud. Is this normal?
2) How long does it usually take to transfer the save games to the cloud?
3) Is there a way to end turn without going through all the unit needs orders, production, etc... windows? Enter doesn't seem to work for me.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: September 24, 2010, 04:37:27 AM »

Woo, it's finally unlocked over here! Too bad I have to go to work, but at least it's waiting for me when I get home. smile
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 24, 2010, 05:27:26 AM »

Quote from: Morgul on September 23, 2010, 03:50:33 PM

ugh.  I like roads everywhere so my military can move quickly.  I didn't know city buildings, roads and maybe even tile improvements cost...

I also raped about 6 new cities early on in a vigorous war.  I annexed them, since I am not really sure what the "puppet state" means in the long run or when it is wise to raze....  
My happiness dropped like a rock, My gold went into the negative, my troops started deserting on me..   I declared a peace for 10 turns, popped 2 golden ages and finally started getting in the green...   Kept putting improvements.. built roads to all the new cities

(I had no idea why the happiness dropped SO bad..   It left me really weak when my troops started deserting...   Rome even told me I was weak, heh.. )     I guess I need to know more about the cost of roads and tiles, building, what puppet states do, etc..

When your in a ruff war, have a huge aggressive and rich army like Rome massing on your border, barbs running amok everywhere, etc the last thing you want to see is troops vanishing..  ugh   Somehow I recovered, but I think, unless I get lucky, it is going to cost me the game.

When you take over cities they add lots of unhappiness to your civ until you get a courthouse built in the new cities and it takes a long time to build a courthouse. 
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 24, 2010, 05:57:53 AM »

Happiness has been my biggest struggle to maintain.  I haven't been building the happiness structures regularly, and realized too late what effect my city expansion was having on happiness.  When I got it leveled out again, I decided to finally take out Rome, who had been in my way for a while.  My vastly superior army, and pair of shiny new trebuchets, made short work of the capital and two major cities, which I puppeted.  Then Caesar sues for peace.  He offers to hand me all but one of his cities, plus some other junk.  He'd recently gotten done conquering Arabia, so it was probably five cities.  I couldn't refuse avoiding a predetermined war, so I accepted, which then sunk my happiness to crazy low levels.

Of course, the lowered production slowed down my now emergency coliseum/theater construction initiative, and I could only afford to buy a single coliseum.  Fortunately, I happened to get a civic, which I spent on the Honor one that gets you a happiness for each garrisoned city (I have lots of those), and finally got access to caravels so I was able to cross to the other hemisphere, where I quickly set up trade deals with the Chinese and Egyptians to get another few luxury goods, which gives me the breathing room I needed. 

This game is good.  I can't wait to see what it looks like after the first few patches.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 24, 2010, 06:44:55 AM »

A couple of really noob questions

Within your borders is there any advantage to having roads linking resources or is it really only a city to city thing to share resources?

The hammer icon - what is the effect of more of that, does it increase speed of items such as research, building buildings etc?

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 24, 2010, 07:35:31 AM »

Quote from: Tals on September 24, 2010, 06:44:55 AM

Within your borders is there any advantage to having roads linking resources or is it really only a city to city thing to share resources?

The simple answer is no.  Unlike earlier versions of Civ, roads in this version have a high maintenance cost so it's really not worth building more then you need.

The hammer icon - what is the effect of more of that, does it increase speed of items such as research, building buildings etc?

The more hammers you have, the more production power the city has.  So more means you get units or buildings faster.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 24, 2010, 10:02:12 AM »

So, in my game, China continues to roll along as I near turn 300.  The Ottoman Empire continues to grow like a weed, and the more I explore, the more they seem to have.  I feel sorry for England and Germany, who border that beast of a civ.  Here is something I do really like about Civ 5 so far though, regarding that:  As ridiculously large as the Ottoman Empire is compared to say Germany - their overall score isn't all that much higher.  I have a feeling the Ottoman's are really feeling the effects of having such a huge empire so early in the game.  If I could go in and see the actual social policies Germany took, I would bet they have invested heavily in the ones that cater to smaller civs.  I REALLY like that a civ can compete (at least it seems they can compete) even if they don't go out and settle everywhere they see a piece of empty land. 

Funny/Stupid Lesson of Day:  I finally found iron!  That's the good news.  However, it is located on a completely different continent, and is sitting next to one of the Ottoman's cities.  But since I simply can't form any type of appreciable siege without it - I settled practically on top of it.  I brought a bunch of cho-ku-nu's over in case the Ottoman's get snarky.  Now here's the funny part:  I did not build the city on a coastal tile.  Therefore, as far as I know - I can not build a harbor.  Therefore, my capital (Beijing) - where I would want to build my trebuchets at... can not access the iron!  At least, it would appear that way at first glance.  I got so mad at myself for making such a bonehead mistake, I saved the game and quit for the night.  If I'm wrong about the way that mechanic works, and that iron is accessible by my capital without the harbor being built at my expansion city, please let me know.  But I'm pretty sure I'm S.O.L.   icon_neutral

Regarding the slowdown:  I am getting it at the end of turns after the computer takes it's moves - there is like this little stutter pause - then it goes back to normal.  It's kind of wierd.

LD

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 24, 2010, 11:07:52 AM »

Did you build mines on the iron?
tgb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 24, 2010, 11:14:54 AM »

It's my understanding that once you have access to a strategic resource and have built the mine/pasture/whatever you can build with it anywhere.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 24, 2010, 11:21:02 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on September 24, 2010, 07:35:31 AM

Quote from: Tals on September 24, 2010, 06:44:55 AM

The simple answer is no.  Unlike earlier versions of Civ, roads in this version have a high maintenance cost so it's really not worth building more then you need.

I don't think roads are even part of resource sharing, are they?  I thought resources just needed to be in your territory with the associated worker improvement built (mine, camp, plantation, etc.). Roads are for fast transpiration and linking cities to your trade network for a coin income--but that trade network boost seems to usually be less than the cost of road upkeep so I think it's just meant to somewhat offset the cost of getting the transportation network.
tgb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 24, 2010, 04:02:54 PM »

March 25, 820 AD

To: Pepe Lepew
Re: Construction Project

My Dear Pepe:

I write this note to offer my humble apology. Apparently, when I commissioned you to build a road from Paris to Orleans, so that our tradesmen might travel between the two cities with greater ease, I neglected to specify that it was to go around the lake that separated them. While I commend you on your efforts and hard work, I have found that traveling several miles underwater tends to put a strain on the horses.

Just because we are Frogs, that does not make us Frogmen. Ha Ha.

Please note that in the future, roads are to be built around obstructions like mountains and bodies of water, unless specified otherwise.

Kindest Regards,
Nappy
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: September 24, 2010, 04:30:50 PM »

I've played through 4 of the 5 tutorials so far (just got home from work, and the game didn't unlock until today), and the game runs smooth as butter with everything on high and 4xAA at 1680x1050. Load times are near instant, and the intro movie can be skipped almost immediately. Very pleased so far. smile

My computer specs:
Intel i7 2.67 GHz
12 GB RAM
Regular HD (no SSD)
GeForce GTX 275
Windows 7 x64
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: September 24, 2010, 04:39:43 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 24, 2010, 04:30:50 PM

I've played through 4 of the 5 tutorials so far (just got home from work, and the game didn't unlock until today), and the game runs smooth as butter with everything on high and 4xAA at 1680x1050. Load times are near instant, and the intro movie can be skipped almost immediately. Very pleased so far. smile

My computer specs:
Intel i7 2.67 GHz
12 GB RAM
Regular HD (no SSD)
GeForce GTX 275
Windows 7 x64

12 GB RAM? A Core i7? On that system, rendering a Pixar film would run smooth as butter. Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: