http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 01:32:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Civilization 5: !#@#!@ Impressions Incoming! Brave New World!  (Read 22804 times)
ydejin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 21, 2010, 04:41:46 PM »

Quote from: tgb on September 21, 2010, 04:30:51 PM

To see the strength of a unit click on it.  Next to the symbol is a vertical bar that runs red-yellow-green indicating health.  Mousing over it shows the exact strength.  (At least for Barbarian encampments.  I'm assuming it works like that for all enemy units).

Does work for Barbarian encampments, does not appear to work for enemy units.  As far as I can tell, there is no way to select an enemy unit, clicking on an enemy unit appears to do nothing.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong, because this seems like an obvious thing that should work, but I can't get it to work.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 04:50:50 PM by ydejin » Logged
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: September 21, 2010, 07:19:15 PM »

From the inner box:  We've replaced the 200+ page manual with an improved and interactive PDF that's also easier to use.

Really?  Can I take it to the bathroom?  On the road?  Somewhere WITHOUT A COMPUTER?  No.  It's bullshit, and it's just to cut costs.  At least be honest about it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 21, 2010, 07:31:42 PM »

I can take my netbook into the bathroom....

Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Slabety
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: September 21, 2010, 08:10:34 PM »

I think it sucks that they removed the manual so it won't be a "book" but I can still print it out if need be. Definitely not a deal breaker in any way IMO.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 21, 2010, 08:41:51 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on September 21, 2010, 04:41:46 PM

Quote from: tgb on September 21, 2010, 04:30:51 PM

To see the strength of a unit click on it.  Next to the symbol is a vertical bar that runs red-yellow-green indicating health.  Mousing over it shows the exact strength.  (At least for Barbarian encampments.  I'm assuming it works like that for all enemy units).

Does work for Barbarian encampments, does not appear to work for enemy units.  As far as I can tell, there is no way to select an enemy unit, clicking on an enemy unit appears to do nothing.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong, because this seems like an obvious thing that should work, but I can't get it to work.

Try selecting your unit, then just hover the mouse pointer over the enemy unit you want to examine.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: September 21, 2010, 08:50:10 PM »

You're right.  It's not a deal breaker at all, especially when I only paid $30 biggrin
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 21, 2010, 08:59:26 PM »

Okay. I was able to sneak in a few more minutes. I triggered a few barb camps in a ruin, found some kind of natural wonder and generally piddled around. It feels like a gussied up version of the old reliable Civ world. I haven't played long enough to form any long-term impressions, but so far, it fits the bill.

I'm still a couple of hours from being able to really play, but then I'll be ready to pick a ruler and set up for a Huge map, Marathon time frame world. smile

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 21, 2010, 09:23:34 PM »

I played through the tutorial map to get a handle on some of the new mechanics.  It's remarkable how much some of the gameplay flavor of Civilization: Revolution carries over, particularly in the way that gold is an incredibly liquid resource you can use throughout the game to expedite diplomacy, border expansion, or military recruitment, rather than waiting for a mid-to-late game technology to open things up.  The same goes for the different "super powers," though in Civ 5 you get to pick them yourself like an RPG skill tree rather than having them predestined by your choice of races.

A lot of the choices feel really BIG!  One of the Social Powers I unlocked doubled the amount of XP all my units earned from combat.  Another caused new cities to start with a sizable food surplus.  My Chinese crossbowmen could fire twice per turn which, without fear of reprisal, made them *much* more lethal than I'd been expecting.  Even on a "Duel"-sized map, this game doesn't seem to about amassing a large number of small bonuses from different sources, but about making a few major decisions that have sweeping repercussions for how you play.

Stuff I Like

+ Cities automatically generate defenses based on their size and the construction of things like walls.  They can also bombard enemies at range, so strong frontier cities can aggressively protect the interior of your empire.

+ Land units can simply row around on water by themselves, rather than needing to tediously load them on and off of specially-built transports.  That degree of micromanagement always killed naval-based Civilization games for me.

+ Experience upgrades are less like Civ 4 and more like the Fall From Heaven 2 mod: weighty improvements that can substantially improve the way a unit fights.  

The only negative I've found so far: Harbors in Civ 5 exist to establish trade routes where no land route exists, but two of my advisers kept pressing me to build one in my coastal city despite the fact that a roadway had already been built.  Yes, maintenance on the Harbor would have been marginally cheaper, but it also would have removed the speed boost all my land units were getting on the road *and* required me to spend time manually ripping the road up tile-by-tile.

-Autistic Angel
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 21, 2010, 09:33:03 PM »

Don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere but it's on sale at Frys for $39.99, pretty nice considering I believe the digital download is still at $50?
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 21, 2010, 09:34:27 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on September 21, 2010, 07:19:15 PM

From the inner box:  We've replaced the 200+ page manual with an improved and interactive PDF that's also easier to use.

Really?  Can I take it to the bathroom?  On the road?  Somewhere WITHOUT A COMPUTER?  ...

Get an iPad and the answer to all your questions will be yes!   icon_wink
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 21, 2010, 09:41:50 PM »

I'm a bit put off by the sheer amount of resources close by.  I remember in Civ 4 that you might have to travel a ways to find more than 2-3 resources but in my first two starts in V I've been overloaded with gold/silver/horses/cows/etc.  It will take time to get used to.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 21, 2010, 09:43:13 PM »

Pretty sure the iPad counts as a computer.. smile

Atomic
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 21, 2010, 10:14:10 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on September 21, 2010, 09:41:50 PM

I'm a bit put off by the sheer amount of resources close by.  I remember in Civ 4 that you might have to travel a ways to find more than 2-3 resources but in my first two starts in V I've been overloaded with gold/silver/horses/cows/etc.  It will take time to get used to.

Resources work quite a bit differently in this version of the game.  Instead of providing unlimited supply forever (or randomly for a shorter period in Civ4), many of them are finite.  So an iron resource will allow you to build x units that use iron, but that's all (though you get the resources back when the unit is destroyed or disbanded).  So whatever you find early is nowhere near enough to last you the entire game.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
tgb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 21, 2010, 10:52:05 PM »

Is it me, or is the pace a lot slower than Civ IV?  It just seems as though construction and research take a lot longer than they used to.  Of course, I could just be playing slower as I get used to the new system.

I wouldn't go so far as to use the word "broken", but there are a lot of issues with diplomacy right now.  I've had Civs propose Pacts of Cooperation one turn, only to have them cancel them the next.  Also promising to protect a City-state one turn and withdrawing it the next.
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 22, 2010, 12:04:31 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on September 21, 2010, 09:33:03 PM

Don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere but it's on sale at Frys for $39.99, pretty nice considering I believe the digital download is still at $50?

That's a good deal Rittch!

I wish I was home to take advantage of it. I have a Fry's not too far from me, but I am 300 miles from home this week. I could not even pretend that I have the willpower to wait until Saturday to pick it up. So, I suppose I'm paying $2.50 per day to play it on the road. So far, I've already gotten my extra $10's worth. smile

Quote from: tgb on September 21, 2010, 10:52:05 PM

Is it me, or is the pace a lot slower than Civ IV?  It just seems as though construction and research take a lot longer than they used to.  Of course, I could just be playing slower as I get used to the new system.

That sounds like a good thing to me. I'm one who thinks that Marathon games go too quickly. smile

I've had about an hour in the game now and I am very happy.

It's funny. I remember being disappointed on release day with both Civ 3 and Civ 4. I then grew to love them both over time. However, I'm already happy with Civ 5. I hope that doesn't mean that I'll grow to be disappointed in Civ 5. smile

So far, I'm quite pleased.

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2010, 12:15:42 AM »

I'm only 50 turns in, so posting impressions is sorta pointless, but it's made a great first impression on me.  I'm also playing the learn-as-you-go tutorial, and I drew Russia.  Not sure if that is choosable, or if it's random.  My duel adversary is Alexander the Great.  Going against Greece on a small map...  I suppose it's good the tutorial level is probably set pretty easy.   icon_wink

I'm SO happy the game's out.  It's going to be a long night!

tgb: That's not the first I've heard about less-than-stellar diplomatic AI.  Hope that gets improved.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 22, 2010, 12:18:15 AM »

Quite pleased myself. Granted only 1 hour in, playing very slowly and making sure I understand the changes. This means I haven't delved much into the AI or diplomacy which needs to be patched from everything I have read. From reading some of the Qt3 posts today I was getting worried, but so far it seems great. I like the interface, it gives you a lot of info and everything seems quite beautiful and easy to figure out. Not to say it doesn't need some work (for instances if I switch production, tell me what I was building before so I can remember to go back to it to finish it before I lose the production spent on it).

Performance wise, its running very well on a Win 7 64 partition on a i5 2.8 iMac in 2650x1440 with only 4 megs of memory and what ever video card this thing has in it (the 1 gig card). The computer is running hot though and I don't even have a lot of units running around yet.

The basics are there, with a patch or two and some streamlining I get the feeling this will be the best Civ yet.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 22, 2010, 01:07:50 AM »

I still have Civ 4 unplayed in my Steam library.  Is 5 better in terms of gameplay?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 22, 2010, 01:29:36 AM »

I'm confused about country borders.  Is the direct purchasing of new tiles the primary way of expansion, or just a supplemental way to more directly control it?  Does culture still expand borders on its own?

Quote from: Greggy_D on September 22, 2010, 01:07:50 AM

I still have Civ 4 unplayed in my Steam library.  Is 5 better in terms of gameplay?

Maybe a weeee bit early to tell? smile
map

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 22, 2010, 01:56:44 AM »

tgb, I feel the pace is slower too. Cities don't seem to expand as quickly. In my game barbarians are constantly spawning even in exposed areas. Even tho your cities have defensive capabilities military units seem more important because of the rash barbarians. I do like the new treatment of military units. You have so few you actually care about them. I like it[it's CIV]. So instead of religon and Gov. etc. you have policy. Still have to make choices that have consequences. Triremes seem overpowered with range attack, but it's nice to get the 40 gold per barbarian encampment. I did run into debt[something I never did in Civ 4]. I'm still trying to figure out the difference between what I assume is the white culture line and the blue line when you right click a unit. This no manual is absolute bullshit.

Save America, shoot your television.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 22, 2010, 01:58:11 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 22, 2010, 01:29:36 AM

I'm confused about country borders.  Is the direct purchasing of new tiles the primary way of expansion, or just a supplemental way to more directly control it?  Does culture still expand borders on its own?

I think culture still expands borders (only one tile at a time--looks like next tiles to be added are highlighted in purple) on its own.  You can supplement that by buying tiles with gold, in which case you get to choose the tile you want.

I'm still checking out the tutorials.  The map is a lot busier looking to my eyes than Civ4 (maybe I should actually turn some of the graphic options down?), and I'm still hunting around the interface a bit to find specific bits of information.  It's going to take me a while to adjust.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 02:00:17 AM by Freezer-TPF- » Logged

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 22, 2010, 02:12:09 AM »

Quote from: map on September 22, 2010, 01:56:44 AM

This no manual is absolute bullshit.

No manual? Do you mean no printed manual? There's a 233 page pdf manual that's one of the right-click options from the game entry in your Steam Library.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 22, 2010, 02:55:08 AM »

whoah, they ninja'd a demo out on Steam too.

Because I can,
map

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2010, 04:20:26 AM »

Yes, that's right I meant no printed manual.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2010, 04:32:45 AM »

I care even less about a printed manual now (although I am sure I would have read it if there was one). The game does a very good job with popping up with the details you need and providing links to even more info. Plus manuals are worthless after a few patches anyway.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2010, 05:40:05 AM »

I played a small amount of the demo last night (us euros are stuffed on release schedule!) Graphics I like a lot, the interface - some areas I find confusing like changing production whereas others like seeing production are great. Keeping you pushed to the next inactive unit is nice - I think civ 4 had it as a keystroke? This feels better. Pace etc I can't comment on.
Looking forward to getting the full ver on friday

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2010, 12:21:16 PM »

Civ 4 is my first civ and I have only been playing it a few weeks..  (Maybe 40 hours)   I dont fully understand civ 4, but I liked it allot.   On civ 4 I tried to steer clear of war, except when absolutley neccesary.

I love civ 5.  took off work and played all day yesterday.  The game moved slower, and I was knee deep in war from early on.  Seemed much more of a war game then civ 4. (If thats a good thing are not is personal preference)
I was fighting with my cavemen, fighting with swordsmen, fighting with muskets, fighting with tanks...   This slowed the game down, as it seemed to be war from the get go.    Allot more action and allot less clicking just to pass by the turns.

I like it a ton.  The graphics and interface are nice, the military advisors helped me learn. Allot more streamlined it seemed to me.

Good stuff, good game.   love it.

Downsides were not nearly as many personalities.  (of course civ 4 had expansions).  Uhmm, I didnt miss the religion thing either.   Was nice to not have to deal with it.  I also like the way war is done, archers and such in the back, surrounding the tile, etc.

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 22, 2010, 12:33:03 PM »

Quote from: Lee on September 22, 2010, 04:32:45 AM

I care even less about a printed manual now (although I am sure I would have read it if there was one). The game does a very good job with popping up with the details you need and providing links to even more info. Plus manuals are worthless after a few patches anyway.

I am a civ nub, and was confused allot on Civ 4.  (I didnt have a manual for it, I bought it online.)
I came here and to OO and got help and information.

Played Civ 5 all day yesterday.  It is much more newbie friendly.   The advisors gave me good explanations to do something and why to do it.   I didnt look for a manual or wish I had some online information all day.   I just played.     The civlopedia had easy links to get the info if I did need further details.

So, being a civ nub, I didnt miss a manual in game 1.
tgb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 22, 2010, 12:37:19 PM »

Something else I found out...........pathfinding is another area that needs work.  If you're moving a unit someplace that takes more than one turn, and there is a City-state along the way, you'd better babysit it, because the A.I. will NOT move the unit around a City-state's borders.  Before you know it, that friend you've spent so much gold on hates you.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 22, 2010, 12:50:48 PM »

Ok, impressions and questions regarding Civ V after a 6 hour play session last night took me into the 1600s.

1. Can't praise the UI enough. It's amazingly elegant and is without a doubt the best UI built ever for a TBS game. The things like the pop-ups and reminders simply allow you to just play and not worry about the micromanagement.

2. The game is gorgeous. It puts all the other Civs to shame. I'm running the game on an older PC with 2G of RAM and a 8800GT. It runs find with most of the settings on medium, though I'm starting to see about a 10 second pause between turns in 1600. Still, that's not too bad and the entire world is uncovered.

3. Combat is fantastic. I'm playing on a low difficulty level and the AI is absolutely inept at controlling their troops or holding defensible ground. But it's great if you're a tactician, bringing in 2-3 archers to soften up a city before your swordsmen rush in to take it. There's just an entirely different feel to the combat that really makes it far more exciting. Say goodbye to the Stack of Doom forever and with good riddance! At the same time, there's going to be a learning curve with some folks on the simple logistics of getting units positioned correctly.

The map that was generated sadly didn't have any choke points. I can't wait until someone creates a map script that has continents but also provides for choke points throughout the map.

4. The pace is undoubtedly slower. I kind of like it, especially early in the game. It feels almost like a RPG at times very early in the game. Even at 1600 I might have around 20 units. That's it! Of course, I've cleared my continent and I'm under no direct threats, so I haven't had to build many units. At the same time, it can make for a more challenging game because even though units move faster, it seems to take longer to get from point A to B. You really have to plan in advance. I was far too late in getting units out to help an ally on another continent. Still, the ability to just ship units over without building transports is also awesome.

5. As much as I like the UI, I'm struggling for feedback, like finding out the happiness of my population, or how to specify tiles to be worked (can't click on them in the city map). I'm struggling on creating enough research, even though I have a ton of gold (6k at last count). I can't figure out how to buy a building in progress and not pay full price. Some of this is a learning curve and some of it is my stubbornness for only skimming the manual and not doing the tutorials.

6. City-States are pretty neat. Because I destroyed the Americans and Egyptians on my continent, I haven't had the tug-o-war that City-States undoubtedly will become on crowded maps. But even then, I had to apologize to the English as I crowded in on their interests on a City-State. It's a great dynamic to keep the diplomatic channels constantly changing.

I'm also enjoying the Social Policies in Civ V. It makes Culture far more important because you won't get many choices if you don't have a culture farm and the bonuses you get are quite powerful. But unless you're churning out a ton of culture, you're going to have to make some tough choices. Whether or not there's a "perfect choice set" like there was in Civ IV remains to be seen, but I think the benefits are immediate, tangible and appeal to many play-styles. For example, the first 3 choices you get lead to 3 very distinctive paths - a small civ choice, an expansion choice and a military choice. All 3 look very viable.

7. As some have said, the diplomacy AI with other Civs is a bit intractable and a touch limited. I'm also struggling to get feedback on why a particular leader will or won't do anything. I'm not expecting everyone to play nice, but it's not easy to get anyone to play nice. I shouldn't have to pay everyone the same exact 70g for a simple 30 turns open borders agreement. And trading resources with the AI is ridiculously impossible. I shouldn't have to give up Silver, Wine and Silk for 1 Gold. This needs to be tweaked.

8. Building stuff takes a while. You just can't churn out buildings in this game. They take a while, as do units. It makes Wonders look fairly easy to build when a Windmill takes 20 turns and a Wonder takes 23. Yet I find myself not building many wonders because I'm always trying to build up my cities. I haven't figured out the trick to city specialization in this one yet.

9. So far, I like the way resources and culture are implemented. Civ 3's resources were a disaster during the endgame and I hope that's not the case here. Civ IVs resources were better, but once you got one that's all you needed. Here, it's much more of a consideration because they're limited. As such, that juicy 6 Iron mine that your neighbor has is something you really start to covet when you're stuck with a paltry 2 Iron mine.

10. Overall, I'm really enjoying the game. Yes, there are things that need to be improved and concepts that need to be expanded. But this is a pretty neat twist on the Civ franchise and the core game is better than solid, it's pretty awesome. I can see myself playing this core game for a long time and there are a couple of avenues for expansions that perhaps could take Civ V into the rarefied atmosphere of Civ IV (which is perhaps the best TBS game ever). It's far too early to pass any final judgments, but there's little doubt this is the best TBS game since Civ IV and is not to be missed.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
map

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 22, 2010, 02:21:02 PM »

Yep, pathfinding[especially road building] needs some work. Great People seem a lot less influential also.

Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 22, 2010, 02:40:42 PM »

Put in about 4 hours last night and really love it so far. I don't really miss anything they've dropped, religion was a major concern initially. The combat is much better and more realistic than any of the past games, with ranged units being able to weaken enemies from a distance before your other forces sweep in to mop up. I wasn't really sold on having a finite amount of resources, until I realized how much more valuable it makes your units. I'm running at 1680x1050, everything maxxed, and it's still smooth as glass for the most part. If I zoom out far enough, the frame rate does take a pretty big hit, but that's to be expected I guess.

So I'm around 200 turns into my first game, large map on the default difficulty. I went with Rome and have so far managed to found 6 cities. At this point in the game I don't have many options to expand; the Americans have settled to my south, the city-state of Warsaw lies to the east, west is the coastline, and the north is frozen and has impassable mountains. For the first several thousand years, everyone played nice and didn't step on any toes. Of course you've got your back-room deals, like Ghandi wanting me to form a secret pact against Egypt for instance, but for the most part it was all about protecting your own territory from the roaming hoards of barbarians. Warsaw had the only supply of horses around, not to mention the only iron mine, so naturally I started buying them off pretty early. Egypt was doing this as well, so every hundred years or so I'd have to hand Warsaw some more cash to keep their loyalty firmly in place. At the time I was bringing in more than enough gold to cover, so it wasn't a huge concern.

At some point, I'm not exactly sure when, Egypt asked that I help them wipe out Persia. By this time we were pretty close position wise, they on the other side of Warsaw, not to mention had pretty profitable trade and research treaties going. I told them I would help, not really even thinking much about it at the time, but they had to give me 10 turns to build up an army. They agreed, but about two turns later I changed all of my production over to city improvement and pretty much left it there. About 8 turns later Egypt declares war on Persia, then Ramesses comes and asks if I'm ready to fight. What little military I had was pretty much committed to keeping my cities safe, so I had to politely decline. Needless to say Ramesses wasn't amused, but he kept the war going any way. It lasted a good while, but eventually the Persia wiped out his armies and took the capital. With only one city left, surrounded by Persian armies, Ramses quietly withdrew all of our agreements before being eliminated a couple turns later.

By this time I had built up my army quite a bit. Two more iron mines were claimed, as well as numerous wild horses. I had reinforced my cities with crossbow garrisons, and was in the process of moving my main attack force of knights and longswordsman towards the outskirts of my territory. I had originally planned on attacking America first, as New York was very close to both my capital and a major production city. Workers had cut a road through the wilderness and connected the two, with America just a short distance south. It would have been easy to move all of my troops along our roads, marshal just south of Rome, then easily invade and take New York. That was the plan at least, until Persia and Warsaw went to war. I'm not sure who attacked first, but I'm guessing Persia. Warsaw not only had an iron mine, but also horses and a gold mine. As their closest ally, they had been giving me a portion of those resources for quite awhile. So naturally I jumped into action and moved all of my swordsmen and knights into their territory to help defend. This proved to be a problem, as Persia had several city-state allies and one of them was directly on my southwest border. Ragusa started sending crossbow troops into my territory, marching directly towards my coastal city. I managed to throw together a quick defense with my own crossbow troops garisoned in the city, as well as some knights pulled from the war front.

Back in Warsaw; Persia had several spearmen, crossbows, longswords, and cavalry moving in from the east. It was a tough fight, as I lost several of my older units that had some nice promotions. Warsaw's tiny army of crossbows were wiped out, but we managed to push the Persians back into their own territory. I was beginning to move reinforcements down to prepare for an invasion, but Darius offered a peace treaty so I decided to accept. Little did I know that didn't include Warsaw, so proceeded right back into their territory just I had pulled all my forces out. I wasn't officially protecting them, so I couldn't really do much else besides declare war again. By this time I had succeeded in invading Ragusa and setting it up as a puppet-state, so I no longer had to worry about another attack from them. I tried to demand Persia stop their attack, but it wouldn't do any good as now Warsaw had declared permanent war on them. At this point I was frustrated, as it seemed inevitable that Warsaw would fall and thus so would those precious resources. After careful consideration, I decided the best thing to do was invade and annex them myself. I let the Persian armies weaken their city just enough that I was able to declare war, then move in with knights and swordsmen from both side. Once it was annexed, Persia's forces were immediately withdrawn and the problem solved. Oh sure, Washington and Ghandi scolded me for my "warmongering ways", but I wasn't about to let Persia take them over! So now Warsaw is mine, Darius and I are playing nice for the time being, and I just discovered gunpowder. I think it's a perfect time to turn my sites back to the good old USA.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 22, 2010, 02:53:34 PM »

I have only been able to put in about an hour so far, but for some reason it is solidly in the 'meh' category for me right now.  I can't really explain why it isn't grabbing me, but I intend on giving it more time to try and get into it.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 22, 2010, 02:56:53 PM »

Quote from: tgb on September 22, 2010, 12:37:19 PM

Something else I found out...........pathfinding is another area that needs work.  If you're moving a unit someplace that takes more than one turn, and there is a City-state along the way, you'd better babysit it, because the A.I. will NOT move the unit around a City-state's borders.  Before you know it, that friend you've spent so much gold on hates you.

Yea, the lady first advisor gave me that warning, I didnt really know what she was talking about.  
 The city state thing was new to me.
I had to "thread the needle" between two of them because they already hated me so much when trying to get my scouts back to my territory.

After I dealt with ramises I had to go down and take them out one by one.   icon_mad

I like the whole quest thing they provide, it does give it a sort of roleplaying game feel early game like someone else mentioned.    It was fun.

In fact, it isnt even lunch yet and I want to get home and play again.  

Break out a giant death robot on someones ass maybe.   icon_twisted

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 22, 2010, 02:59:49 PM »

Same here. I picked up Civ IV on a Steam sale earlier this year. Tinkered with it a bit this summer but didn't dig into it. Really should reinstall it and play a deeper game. Now I'm feeling the 'heavy tractor beam' of the forum effect on Civ V with all these good impressions, but don't have time to play it for a couple of weeks. I'm being strong, dammit!  icon_smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 22, 2010, 03:00:53 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on September 22, 2010, 02:59:49 PM

Same here. I picked up Civ IV on a Steam sale earlier this year. Tinkered with it a bit this summer but didn't dig into it. Really should reinstall it and play a deeper game. Now I'm feeling the 'heavy tractor beam' of the forum effect on Civ V with all these good impressions, but don't have time to play it for a couple of weeks. I'm being strong, dammit!  icon_smile

you could always bide your time with the demo....

Because I can,
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: September 22, 2010, 03:06:59 PM »

So.  I'm confused.

I have a Great Person (general, stacks with troops).  But I find no way to link the general with troops so they all move at one time.  Ideas?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: September 22, 2010, 03:11:39 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on September 22, 2010, 03:06:59 PM

So.  I'm confused.

I have a Great Person (general, stacks with troops).  But I find no way to link the general with troops so they all move at one time.  Ideas?

Are you sure you want him to? Doesn't the general provide a bonus to all troops within a certain radius, regardless of stacking?
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 22, 2010, 03:53:50 PM »

I think he wants to make sure the Great General always moves with an escort because he's defenseless by himself.  Creating a stack ensures they two units always move together at the same speed, while moving them individually leaves open the possibility that they'd get separated by something as simple as an accidental click.

-Autistic Angel
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 22, 2010, 04:12:59 PM »

I couldn't figure out how to stack a great general with another unit either.  In fact I wanted to ask how to stack a military unit with a settler for protection, can you do that?  I do like the city-states and the addition of ruins and the other things you can find while out exploring (Natural wonders?).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: