http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 08:55:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Civilization 5: !#@#!@ Impressions Incoming! Brave New World!  (Read 21678 times)
Sarkus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2010, 07:34:37 PM »

It's not Steam exclusive in terms of where you can buy it, so in that sense the new thread title is misleading.  They simply announced today that the game will use Steam, similar to Rome: Total War and other recent titles that you could buy in any number of other places.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2010, 07:35:32 PM »

I've done the argument to death many times now.  Suffice to say, Steam falls under my personal definition of malware and thus it will never be installed on my PC.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2010, 07:37:06 PM »

Sarkus, you do have a point.  However if you have to install Steam (or any incarnation thereof) to be able to install the game, you may as well call it Steam exclusive.

Steam profile
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2010, 07:48:29 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on May 06, 2010, 07:31:20 PM

Huw/Arkon, how exactly does Steam suck?

For me one of the biggest reasons I dislike steam is that it requires the client to be running and is a pain in the ass to get games working if I am not online.  I have a DSL connection that can be flakey at times.  Give me impulse any day of the week so I can install, authorize/authenticate the game once and then never run Impulse again unless I have a desire to have it running.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2010, 07:52:09 PM »

Yeah, I'll buy games on Impulse no problem.  My only concern with Impulse (and this is also one of my many concerns with Steam) is that the pricing is ridiculous.

Steam profile
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2010, 08:09:08 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 06, 2010, 07:35:32 PM

I've done the argument to death many times now.  Suffice to say, Steam falls under my personal definition of malware and thus it will never be installed on my PC.

lol what? so any program you use to download and store games is malware now? gtfo with this stupidity.

impulse and steam are the same thing. you're just being ridiculous now.

and is a pain in the ass to get games working if I am not online

yeah, damn you for having to goto menu and selecting offline mode. FUCK THAT IS HARD!!! i mean, why can't steam just use my brain waves and detect this automatically. VALVE FUCKING SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THREEE@@@@)(
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2010, 08:16:36 PM »

Yeah, I've never ever had any problems getting Steam titles to run when offline.  When all is said and done the game files are installed on your computer, so even if Steam disappeared some day or your internet went away it's not like you don't have the game files. 

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2010, 08:24:56 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on May 06, 2010, 08:09:08 PM

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 06, 2010, 07:35:32 PM

lol what? so any program you use to download and store games is malware now? gtfo with this stupidity.

impulse and steam are the same thing. you're just being ridiculous now.

and is a pain in the ass to get games working if I am not online

yeah, damn you for having to goto menu and selecting offline mode. FUCK THAT IS HARD!!! i mean, why can't steam just use my brain waves and detect this automatically. VALVE FUCKING SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THREEE@@@@)(

Are you insane?

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2010, 08:28:41 PM »

Is that a rhetorical question?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2010, 08:29:26 PM »

Fuck off Jersoc.  I already said I didn't want to get into an argument.  Someone asked for my opinion and I gave it.  I didn't ask you to fucking agree with it, did I?  Dickhead.

Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2010, 08:46:50 PM »

Any chance we can keep this thread Civilized?

Because I can,
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2010, 10:46:07 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on May 06, 2010, 08:09:08 PM

yeah, damn you for having to goto menu and selecting offline mode. FUCK THAT IS HARD!!!

LOL

Usually I don't really like jersoc or his personality... but the above line seriously cracked me up.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2010, 01:54:40 AM »

Perhaps newer versions of steam are better, but last year I purchased a bunch of older titles off of steam during a sale.  If I was not online when launching a game, steam would hang for 10-15 minutes trying to connect and I could not cancel out of it. 

I also had instances where my version of a game wasn't the most recent and Steam kept insisting that the game had to update before I could play it, yet I had no internet connection at the time to complete the update.

I also get crap download speeds from steam, usually topping out at 150k/sec, yet Impulse over the same connection pulls stuff down at roughly 320k/sec

In the end, I much prefer a service like Impulse that doesn't require it's own client be running to run the games I purchased.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2010, 06:24:26 AM »

Yeah, steam is a bitch if you'r not online at times, although newer versions are better of course.

Anyways - what I think is an issue here,  is that modding may be severely hampered by it being connected to Steam. Especially since it seems that Babylon is for pre-orders only, then there are files to protect.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I know that a lot of people, for instance like Brad Wardell are very disappointed in this move, both because it probably stops modding effectively, but of course it also gives steam a competetive edge with an exclusive none other can/will  sell.

Edit: Nevermind that - my fears have been put to rest :-)

Steam is integral to the entire Civ V experience and is going to help bolster the community rather than detract from it. Both single player and multiplayer modes will benefit from it as well as getting updates and mods that work well with the game. I know that right now there isn't a ton of examples of how Steamworks is going to help you guys out, but honestly this decision was made with guys like you in mind. You are our core audience and the last thing we'd want to do is detract from your community experience.
From 2K elizabeth, the forum/pr rep at 2K
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 06:28:28 AM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2010, 06:31:31 AM »

Don't forget that the game being integrated with Steamworks probably means your saves will be on the Steam Cloud and you'll get achievements. smile
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2010, 12:39:37 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 07, 2010, 01:54:40 AM

I also had instances where my version of a game wasn't the most recent and Steam kept insisting that the game had to update before I could play it, yet I had no internet connection at the time to complete the update.

Just as an FYI, there is an option in each game's properties 'Updates' tab that defaults to 'Always keep this game up to date'. I'm assuming that switching it to 'Do not automatically update this game' would fix this for you.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2010, 01:38:44 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on May 07, 2010, 12:39:37 PM

Just as an FYI, there is an option in each game's properties 'Updates' tab that defaults to 'Always keep this game up to date'. I'm assuming that switching it to 'Do not automatically update this game' would fix this for you.

Thanks MonkeyFinger, next time I decide to play a steam game I will check for this.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2010, 01:58:08 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 07, 2010, 06:24:26 AM

Yeah, steam is a bitch if you'r not online at times, although newer versions are better of course.

I played offline for almost 3 months with zero problems while cooped up in a hotel room in Durango, CO. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2010, 02:13:05 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 07, 2010, 01:38:44 PM

Thanks MonkeyFinger, next time I decide to play a steam game I will check for this.

also under settings is an option to switch which Steam server you're using inc case you're getting bad speeds.  every now and then I'll switch mine to one that seems to be going faster; right now I'm stealing bandwidth from Canada  icon_wink

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2010, 02:26:29 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on May 07, 2010, 01:58:08 PM

I played offline for almost 3 months with zero problems while cooped up in a hotel room in Durango, CO. 

Hiding from the law again? ;-)

A new one
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2010, 02:47:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 07, 2010, 02:13:05 PM

also under settings is an option to switch which Steam server you're using inc case you're getting bad speeds.  every now and then I'll switch mine to one that seems to be going faster; right now I'm stealing bandwidth from Canada  icon_wink

There's also a setting for your speed/type of connection, which could possibly affect your DL speeds but I don't know for sure.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2010, 02:49:16 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on May 07, 2010, 02:47:27 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 07, 2010, 02:13:05 PM

There's also a setting for your speed/type of connection, which could possibly affect your DL speeds but I don't know for sure.

I think that just helps the program estimate the download time that pops up when you select a game to download.  mine was on the lowest one for quite some time but I was still getting 1.5mbps regularly.

Because I can,
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2010, 03:54:58 PM »

Last time I checked (several years ago back not long after HL2 release back when I didn't have a permanent broadband connection) this feature didn't help you play Steam games when there were new updates. If you disable it, it'll not auto download new patches, but you'll still have to download the new update before you can play.

Not sure if they changed this feature or it is still working like that.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2010, 01:27:48 AM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on May 07, 2010, 03:54:58 PM

Last time I checked (several years ago back not long after HL2 release back when I didn't have a permanent broadband connection) this feature didn't help you play Steam games when there were new updates. If you disable it, it'll not auto download new patches, but you'll still have to download the new update before you can play.

Not sure if they changed this feature or it is still working like that.

That would make sense as an issue for multiplayer games.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2010, 04:14:32 PM »

Anyways - what I think is an issue here,  is that modding may be severely hampered by it being connected to Steam. Especially since it seems that Babylon is for pre-orders only, then there are files to protect.

How? Why?

When I bought a new laptop a few months back I realized I couldn't find one of my original Civ4 discs so I re-bought the complete package on Steam.  I've played many offline sessions of Civ4 FFH2 on that laptop.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2010, 04:56:46 AM »

more hex pics!

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2010, 05:53:30 AM »

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm having a hard time getting excited about this game.  The graphics are just so incredibly bland and lifeless, and the units look worse than Civ 4.  I just hope it plays a lot better than it looks.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2010, 06:34:51 AM »

I think the blandness you're talking about comes from the missing GUI in these screenshots. It's hard to judge the overall graphical style without everything in place.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2010, 04:26:51 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 11, 2010, 06:34:51 AM

I think the blandness you're talking about comes from the missing GUI in these screenshots. It's hard to judge the overall graphical style without everything in place.

Not to mention that I don't play Civ for the graphics...

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2010, 05:03:01 PM »

they have a release date:  September 21st.

Because I can,
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2010, 05:12:21 PM »

I personally think it looks far far better than Civ4, I am so glad they decided to leave the kiddie style graphics for good. Hopefully this will reflect other remakes as well (if ever get a new Covert Action or RRT). The unit graphics are light years ahead of Civ4 already, let's see what mods can do.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2010, 06:55:23 PM »

Gamespot has a new preview of the game from E3, and some screenshots showing off the interface.  It definitely looks better with the interface in place.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2010, 07:34:26 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on June 15, 2010, 06:55:23 PM

Gamespot has a new preview of the game from E3, and some screenshots showing off the interface.  It definitely looks better with the interface in place.

*drool*

Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2010, 11:30:13 PM »

Yeah, I'm really liking that UI look.

- Ash
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2010, 03:24:31 PM »

more screenshots.  

as for the preview:  wow, the game looks boring in motion.

* CeeKay ducks.

Tongue

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2010, 04:15:02 PM »

Civ Anon returns*

* thanks to PR_GMR for pointing this out.

Because I can,
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2010, 04:28:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 16, 2010, 03:24:31 PM

more screenshots.  

as for the preview:  wow, the game looks boring in motion.

* CeeKay ducks.

Tongue
If you mean it looks a little slow, you're right. And that's a good thing.  icon_biggrin

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Hrnac
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2010, 03:42:54 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 22, 2010, 04:15:02 PM

Civ Anon returns*

* thanks to PR_GMR for pointing this out.

That was awesome!

-Hrnac

Never do today what can be done tomorrow.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2010, 04:14:40 PM »

eventually you'll be able to import Civ 4 content into Civ 5.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2010, 02:16:37 PM »

special edition details.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: