http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 12:23:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Civil War: 2nd Manassas demo AAR  (Read 647 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2006, 04:32:15 PM »

I just downloaded MadMinute Games recent release demo and I thought I would give it a whirl since it sort of plays like Combat Mission (only real time.)  I posted this on another forum but I thought I'd copy and paste it here just in case anyone happens to be interested in the Civil War period.  I'd love to flesh out the AAR a little more than it is, but to be perfectly honest, as a Canadian I don't know jack about civil war history.

Author's Note: Please forgive any glaring factual errors-I know absolutely zilch about the Civil War.

29 August 1862

Virginia has been blistering hot these past couple of days, just one more reason to curse those damned Rebs who've brought me here in the first place. Today was a fairly eventful day and my men, the Michigan regiments of the 3rd Brigade 1st Division III Corps Army of the Potomac, performed well.  We first encountered the enemy as we were passing through some farms and orchards.

They were a ragtag bunch who were hiding in the treeline and we finished them off quite easily.  Shortly after the last shots fell silent, we were met by a courier carrying a message from General Kearney.

Proceed through the woods,he stated.  At the western edge of the woods are two more regiments that have recently lost their brigade commander, these regiments are now under your command.  After the new regiments have joined, continue west along the road and join up with the division We are expecting heavy resistance before nightfall, so I expect you to make good time. If you encounter any resistance you are to attack and destroy.  The road you are taking is our supply link and it must be kept free of enemy resistance.

Major General Kearny  

With that we quickly got on our way, following the road through the west woods.  After exiting the woods on the other side, we met up with the two orphaned regiments; the 5th Michigan Regiment and the 37th New York Volunteers regiment.  We continued to follow the westwards road and soon met up with elements of  Archer's Brigade which consisted of approximately five regiments.

We were quick to form up and engage the rebels and quickly overwhelmed them.  We lost a few casualties but they lost much more.

After dealing with that distraction we quickly doubled up our pace  in order to join up with the rest of the Division in time before it came under attack.  Halfway to our target, we are met by another of the General's couriers:

Colonel,

Move your Brigade to the left flank, the Division is weakest there.  The enemy has been sighted heading in our direction and is expected any minute.  Your orders are to hold the left flank against the initial attack.  Do not allow the enemy to get around on our left flank.  After the initial enemy attack, you may counter attack if the situation is favourable.  I am counting on you Colonel; do not let me down.

Major General Kearny

We arrived at our goal and met up with the rest of the Division.  Major General Kearny had the 1st and 2nd Brigade lined up behind a stone wall overlooking a grain field.  By the time I got my men into position, the enemy army appeared on the horizon.

Elements of the 1st Brigade moved out into the field and engaged the approaching enemy.  It was one heck of a battle to see from my position, sitting on the back of my horse.  It was intense, with no quarter given.  The two sides fired back and forth at each other from almost point blank range.

The enemy was begining to approach our left flank now so I had to turn my gaze back to matters at hand.  It looked like they had focused close to half of their strength on our position.  Fortunately most of my men were behind the protection of the stone walls.

And just like that, our own battle had begun.  My men opened up on the enemy with their rifles.

The 3rd Michigan regiment managed to repel and enemy advance through the grain fields and my far left flank was starting to feel the pressure so I had them doubletime it over to help out the 1st regiment and the 37th New York. A full out battle proceeds.

Things were going well until, I realized to my horror, that the enemy was moving around my flank and were threatening to engage us in a crossfire.  I couldn't help remembering the words of my Major General; Don't let me down...  Quickly I wheeled the regiments around to meet the enemy.  They did have us caught in a crossfire but at least they weren't able to fire into our flank.

Under the combined firepower of all five of my regiments the enemy soon broke and ran for the treeline.  We'd done it! We'd managed to hold off the enemy assault!

Col Orlando M. Poe
3rd Brigade
1st Division/III Corps/AotP
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 10:39:27 PM »

Nice AAR!

I can't believe people once fought like that.  I have played a smattering of Civil War sims and honestly have a hard time wrapping my brain around the strategies of the time.  My strategy often devolves into "we've got more men, charge!" or "flank, flank, flank, wait, who'se watching the center? uh oh..."  Neither have provided me with many "Major Victories" or promotions.  Usually just a battefield burial or a swift hanging for incompetence.

Looks like a nice game.  I like the way casualties appear to fall out of line.  As much as you can like something like that.  Like I said, I still can't believe people fought like that.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 11:06:28 PM »

Looks good.
Back in those times (Maybe knightshade dragon can give us some first hand accounts?) they didn't have tanks or planes to hide behind, it was man versues man.
I'd rather be a warrior from the medieval ages because at least back then you could see who was coming at you with their sword and would have a chance to defend yourself, but here, just two lines coming at eachother yelling out "Load.. ready.. fire!" and watching guys fall all around you, not knowing if you'll be next.. hell, took a lot of courage (for both the North and South) to fight the battles they did.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 01:14:48 AM »

that looks like my great grandfather's farm, no lie, actually all of Manassass used to look like that, now it's  suburbs, malls and townhomes for people who work in Nova and DC to live... To expensive and too crowded.

I now want to play this game because of this post.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 01:26:49 AM »

If you have any interest interest in the Civil War then I would highly reccommend it.  I admit that I have no interest whatsoever in the Civil War so it took me a second try of the tutorial to get into it but after that, I was hooked!!  Great gameplay and great graphics.  The actual map is HUGE it just goes on forever.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: