http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 08:47:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Civ IV: A bit concerned  (Read 1784 times)
Sarkus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2005, 03:19:47 AM »

So I was in the local Fry's the other day and noticed something running on one of the overhead monitors in the console games section.  After a moment I realized it was Civ IV, apparently from some sort of trailer or demo disk.  I have to say, while the 3D graphics look nice, the oversized animated unit figures look a bit hokey.  It looks like a bunch of giants battling it out as they tower over cities.  I realize that the units have always been oversized, but that seemed more acceptable on a 2D background.  In 3D the size seems alarmingly out of place.

I have faith in Sid but I hope this doesn't end up looking like a mass-market boardgame.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 03:44:30 AM »

Um, what's wrong with mass market boardgames?  They've improved the artwork on a lot of boardgames with the recent boom.  slywink

I think it looks fine, yes, they're a bit large and blocky.  I think the problem is that they should have stylized the unit models more, making things look both good and realistic with such a compressed scale in 3D is very difficult if you don't have a concise art design.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 03:45:53 AM »

Eh, I think it looks fine. I'm not really concerned with the visuals, however. Civ has always been about the gameplay.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 03:46:37 AM »

"I have faith in Sid but I hope this doesn't end up looking like a mass-market boardgame."
I may be wrong, but I don't think Sid Meier had much to do with Civ 4 or Civ 3.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 06:26:04 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
"I have faith in Sid but I hope this doesn't end up looking like a mass-market boardgame."
I may be wrong, but I don't think Sid Meier had much to do with Civ 4 or Civ 3.

You are wrong, at least as Civ 4 goes.  He is more involved with this version than any since the first.  Civ 2 was pretty much Brian Reynolds with minimal Sid input and Civ 3 was Reynolds at first and later Sid when Reynolds left to do his own thing.

It's one thing to look at screenshots of Civ 4 and another to see it all animated.  Until you see that (as was the case on what I saw), I don't know if you truly realize the point I was trying to make.

- American Dad
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 05:36:43 PM »

Funny, The two things that I like the most that bear Sid's name (civ 2 & SMAC) are the two he had the least to do with apparently.

I'll just say right now: if anyone has a release week sale, I'll be the guinea pig.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 06:15:09 PM »

Frys usually has it for about $10 cheaper than the release price on day one, sort of makes of for how late they get the game.

I plan to buy the game then.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 09:54:05 PM »

While I understand your concerns about it turning into a big boardgame, I don't think the "battling giants" thing will bother me much.  Like you said, the people were always huge and the battles were pretty lame.  I am hopeful you can turn off the battle animation completely because it's sure to get old in a hurry.  I would hope being big, combined with the new 3D engine,  that units are more indicitive of what they contain.

I'm still looking forward to it but I'll be checking reviews before I spring at full price.  I'm sure there will be some good gaming to be had, but I'm still enjoying Civ3 with all the expansions and mods.

Plus I just can't afford that kind of monster time-sink.  Civ games are like little time machines that zip you right ahead by six hours every time you load it up!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 01:46:26 AM »

Well, from previews I think the graphics look terrible, I still am very unsure about the battle system, and I am wary about some of these changes. Most of these Civ games captivate me for a few weeks and then bore me to tears afterwards, so I really don't know what to think of this game. If what they are saying is true, its clearly being rushed, so maybe waiting for a few patches is the right idea.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 03:23:57 AM »

Well I'm the opposite. I have been happy with just about everything they have talked out in gameplay changes. Things like just getting rid of the annoying, time wasting pollution brings a smile to my face. I must have installed Civ 3 about 4-5 times trying to like the game but could never finish a single one. If they can pull it off I'll be happy for a long time.
maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 06:47:35 AM »

If there's a huge Earth map with authentic starting locations, count me in.

"I spill my drink!"    [Currently playing: Civ IV (PC), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X (PS2)]
aahzmandius
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 02:59:31 PM »

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, if you pre-order from some of the on-line outfits (Gamestop, EB Games, etc) you're supposed to get a deluxe edition that includes a spiral-bound manual. Great to be able to open it and keep it open on your desk.

I'm seriously considering this, because I'm a Civ Junkie, but I haven't been able to find out yet if I can pre-order, ask for in-store pickup, and still get the spiffy deluxe version.

If anyone out there KNOWS the answer to this, please let me know.

--Aahzmandius
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 03:03:15 PM »

Quote from: "aahzmandius"
For those of you who haven't seen it yet, if you pre-order from some of the on-line outfits (Gamestop, EB Games, etc) you're supposed to get a deluxe edition that includes a spiral-bound manual. Great to be able to open it and keep it open on your desk.

I'm seriously considering this, because I'm a Civ Junkie, but I haven't been able to find out yet if I can pre-order, ask for in-store pickup, and still get the spiffy deluxe version.

If anyone out there KNOWS the answer to this, please let me know.

If you go into a store to preorder you can still get the special edition.

- American Dad
aahzmandius
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 03:07:13 PM »

Cool...looks like I'll be pre-ordering this one during Lunch today smile

Thanks, Sarkus

--Aahzmandius
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 09:45:44 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
Things like just getting rid of the annoying, time wasting pollution brings a smile to my face.

/me is THRILLED!  I thought that pollution was totally rediculous.  I almost hated getting that far because I had workers shoveling shit all day long and pissed off people as a result.

I also like the idea of the spiral-bound manual.  Need to give an early buy some thought now.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2005, 10:53:05 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

I also like the idea of the spiral-bound manual.  Need to give an early buy some thought now.

Me = on preorder. biggrin

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2005, 03:32:16 AM »

Sarkus wrote:
I have to say, while the 3D graphics look nice, the oversized animated unit figures look a bit hokey. It looks like a bunch of giants battling it out as they tower over cities.

I could careless on how big they are my top 2 grips have been taken care off. #2 No cleaning pollution. &
      #1 No TANKS BEING LOST TO PIKE MEN!!!!!!!!
can I get a AAAAAAAMEN. smirk

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: