http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 02:30:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: City of Villains no monthly fee  (Read 1099 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2005, 12:49:36 AM »

In case you missed it on the front page

If you are currently playing CoH then CoV will not cost extra other than the initial purchase price. Otherwise if you only play CoV then there is a monthly fee.

Last night we announced some BIG news. City of Heroes® subscribers will pay no additional monthly fee to play City of Villains™. For City of Heroes® players who purchase City of Villains™, simply add the City of Villains™ serial code to your existing City of Heroes® account using the UPGRADE button on your PlayNC™ account management page... and set off for The Rogue Isles™!

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 01:12:26 AM »

Is there a reason why a MMORPG would charge a separate monthly fee to play an expansion?

Am I missing something or is CoV really a separate game?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 01:53:35 AM »

I'm with warning. Whats the big deal. I dont recall any of Everquests or DAOC's many expansions requiring an extra subscription fee. This seems like a non story to me.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 02:04:14 AM »

add me to the "huh" list.  is this a seperate game?

Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 02:40:37 AM »

I believe it is because you can have CoV without having CoH and vice versa.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Guy Incognito
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 03:06:52 AM »

They are playing it off as a "stand-alone game".  For a while they talked about charging an extra monthly fee.  People were outraged, they backed off.

To be fair, they did re-work everything from the ground up.  CoV isn't a standard expansion.  If I were forced to pick, I was leaning towards dropping CoH in favor of CoV but now don't have to worry about that.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 04:24:14 AM »

Quote from: "Guy Incognito"
For a while they talked about charging an extra monthly fee.  People were outraged, they backed off.
Yeah, that's what I remember too.  Probably just clearing things up.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 10:33:43 AM »

I've always thought the smartest way to go would be to have 'blocks' of MMOGs, kind of like Sony's Station service.  That way they rope you into being a customer, and you can play any of that publisher's MMOGs.

Strangely, Sony is the only one who went in that direction.  Does this give them an edge?  Time will tell, but I guess since WoW has grabbed the lions share of players it may be a moot point.  On the other hand, tough times should put the validity of a business plan to the test.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 01:01:38 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
I've always thought the smartest way to go would be to have 'blocks' of MMOGs, kind of like Sony's Station service.  That way they rope you into being a customer, and you can play any of that publisher's MMOGs.

Strangely, Sony is the only one who went in that direction.  Does this give them an edge?  Time will tell, but I guess since WoW has grabbed the lions share of players it may be a moot point.  On the other hand, tough times should put the validity of a business plan to the test.

With NCSoft growing in the MMO market like it is...I would expect them to be launching a "station pass" like service soon.  NCSoft has Auto Assault coming, CoH, CoV, Lineage, Lineage II, Tabula Rasa.  They also have Guild Wars..but you don't pay for that one in the same way...  Still, I think once Auto Assault launches, they may start looking into that.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Guy Incognito
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 01:26:58 PM »

Sony might be beefing up their own Station Pass.  Not sure if it's currently included but I they are going to be taking over Matrix Online (MXO) and I've heard something about a super hero (marvel?  dc?) MMOG in the works.

Considering in the past I've played EQ1 and EQ2 plus I have some interest in fooling around with MXO, there's a chance if their super hero game is pretty similar to CoH I will ditch CoH in favor of the station pass.  I'm a huge fan of CoH / CoV though so the new game would have to be pretty great.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 01:41:18 PM »

Quote from: "Atragon"
I believe it is because you can have CoV without having CoH and vice versa.

Bingo. It isn't an expansion in that sense. CoV can be purchased and played without CoH. They're separate games in the same sense that identical twins are separate (alike yet different)...of course with one being the evil twin.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 02:21:51 AM »

While I like the idea of the Station Pass I have to wonder how many people actually juggle multiple MMORPGs at the same time.  Seems to me that you have to be rather committed to one to really get anywhere.  I suppose if the games are different enough it would make sense, but still think those people really interested would be those most "married" to a single game.

Oh, and Sony has the DC license, while Microsoft has exclusive rights to upcoming Marvel MMORPGs on the 360.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: