http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 07:59:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ChronoTrigger DS  (Read 7903 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2008, 12:25:55 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 19, 2008, 05:47:09 PM

I'd argue that most of that stuff still makes CT pretty unique and innovative.  There still aren't many JRPGs that manage to tell such a simple story so well with characters that are instantly likable and interesting with no need of overwrought and melodramatic backstories.  To me, Chrono Trigger still seems as unique now as it did in 1996.  JRPG developers have since taken up the baton from Final Fantasy 6 and ran with it, while ignoring the "alternative approach" that CT laid out.

played ct just a few years back, & enjoyed it (tho probably not as much as i would've when it was new) - very well-made & innovative enuf, as you say, to make it still fun to play...

but, to me, there's a pretty simple reason developers latched onto ff6 (&, even now, have yet to top it, really) - it's the better game of the 2. tho as far as ignoring the ct approach, if any recent games contain elements of what i think made the cast (tho not necessarily the gameplay) of ct memorable, they're mostly atlus / nippon ichi games, which's (a large) part of what i enjoy about them...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
tylertoo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2008, 12:34:42 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on August 19, 2008, 10:48:56 PM

Yeah, all battles occur at preset "ambush" trigger points. Some are avoidable, others aren't. Not all enemies are visible prior to battle (many aren't). However, it's not random, and once you clear an area, you can explore without any further battles unless you leave and return. icon_biggrin

Sold.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2008, 12:37:48 AM »

And it has a phenomenal soundtrack.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2008, 04:06:45 AM »

Quote from: warning on August 20, 2008, 12:37:48 AM

And it has a phenomenal soundtrack.

Yes, the game is one of my favorites ever, and the soundtrack, art direction, story; all of it is tops.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2008, 07:14:26 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on August 20, 2008, 12:25:55 AM

but, to me, there's a pretty simple reason developers latched onto ff6 (&, even now, have yet to top it, really) - it's the better game of the 2. tho as far as ignoring the ct approach, if any recent games contain elements of what i think made the cast (tho not necessarily the gameplay) of ct memorable, they're mostly atlus / nippon ichi games, which's (a large) part of what i enjoy about them...

Dragon Quest VIII is a recent game that has all the elements that make CT great: simple plot but great story, deceptively simple battle system, more symphonic soundtrack and fantastic art direction (it helps that Toriyama did the character designs for both games. To me CT and DQVIII are two of the best JRPGs ever made. No FF (except maybe IX) even comes close to these two games. I prefer character development over plot, though, and I really like the simple yet elegant storylines in DQVIII and CT.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2008, 02:28:20 PM »

Strange though - Squenix is doing absolutely nothing (at least based on screenshots) to enhance this game for the DS. FFIV got a total rewrite when it came out on the DS - CT is getting nothing.

Doesn't mean that'll stop me from buying it when it comes out though. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2008, 02:40:28 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 20, 2008, 02:28:20 PM

Strange though - Squenix is doing absolutely nothing (at least based on screenshots) to enhance this game for the DS. FFIV got a total rewrite when it came out on the DS - CT is getting nothing.

Yeah looks pretty much the same.  I guess they're supporting the second screen though - and the wikipedia article says it will have an "extra dungeon" and the cutscenes from the Playstation version.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2008, 02:48:56 PM »

Eh, I can think of a couple of reasons for no graphics overhaul:

1) It still boasts some gorgeous last generation SNES  graphics, unlike FF4 which looked nice by the standards of early SNES but was very much overtaken by the visuals of FF6, CT, Seiken Densetsu 2&3, Star Ocean, etc.  So 3D wouldn't necessarilly be an upgrade and it risks losing a lot of the charm. 

2) CT just isn't on the same scale of success as Final Fantasy so it may not justify the increased expense a complete remake would entail. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2008, 07:46:41 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 20, 2008, 02:48:56 PM

1) It still boasts some gorgeous last generation SNES  graphics, unlike FF4 which looked nice by the standards of early SNES but was very much overtaken by the visuals of FF6, CT, Seiken Densetsu 2&3, Star Ocean, etc.  So 3D wouldn't necessarilly be an upgrade and it risks losing a lot of the charm. 

That's true - the game did look fantastic (as the the rest of the games you mentioned - too bad we didn't get some of them on US shores) for the time. Seems like a pretty logical reason as to why they didn't upgrade it to DS 'standards'.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2008, 01:47:43 AM »

So hey, when do we get Seiken Densetsu 3 on the DS or PSP? icon_wink

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2008, 05:37:33 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on August 21, 2008, 01:47:43 AM

So hey, when do we get Seiken Densetsu 3 on the DS or PSP? icon_wink

I already can thanks to the wonders of the translating community (from years ago) and emulators. biggrin

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2008, 12:38:11 AM »

IGN gave it an 8.8, but holy crap read the comments:

Closing Comments
Thereís a reoccurring theme in Chrono Trigger DS, and itís an important one for a game this historical. The game is virtually unchanged in its core, having a new script re-write, but retaining the visuals, music, character designs, interface styles, and options of the source material. At the same time, Square Enix also ensures that this is the definitive version of Chrono Trigger out there, as the game comes complete with every option you could ever want for touch vs. button control, two or single screen display, or game pacing and difficulty. Where things should have been left the same, they were. Where fixes or additions could be made, they have. Yes itís a $40 game for a title many of us have played until our thumbs were sore, and itís unchanged in a lot of ways from what you played back in 1995 or in 2001, but itís also just as captivating, imaginative, or well made now as it was then. I could write volumes on this game, but it isnít needed. If youíve never played Chrono Trigger before, buy this game. If youíre a die-hard fan and want to support one of the greatest games of all time, buy this game. If youíre having trouble validating a $40 purchase for what is ultimately the same game, itís the wrong choice for you, and your cash is better spent elsewhere. Any way you slice it though, Chrono Trigger is one of the greatest RPGs of all time, and itís a game everyone Ė whether on DS, PSX, Super NES, or in the future Ė should play.

Sounds like it's nearly a 10.  Then they have another take:

Another Take
Iíve never played Chrono Trigger. Growing up as a Genesis kid, the Squaresoft (now Square Enix) epic was something I knew only by reputation. Itís widely regarded as one of the best RPGs from the 16 bit era, if not to date. Though itís taken me well over a decade to get my hands on it, I see that the praise it sees is more than well deserved. After spending some time with the game, going through the different eras and being introduced to some truly memorable characters, I see that Chrono Trigger is absolutely stellar.
The game does so many different things that itís tough to naysay, especially considering its competition when it was originally released. The story is rather engrossing and comes with a charm youíd be hard pressed to find elsewhere, making Cronoís adventures in saving the world that much more exciting. The theme of causality and travelling through time to change the course of history, making sure certain destruction doesnít come to pass is such a refreshing change of pace as itís something thatís truly epic. The game shows you exactly what happens if you donít succeed in your quest, adding a level of weight that you donít find elsewhere too often.

The battle system is really one of the best elements of the game as it doesnít follow the traditional turn based combat. The visuals are slightly tweaked Ė rather than having your team on one side of the screen, theyíre scattered through the battlefield as are your enemies, and though it seems like a mere aesthetic decision, it really adds to the change that this game brought about. The actual battle mechanics are some of the best Iíve seen as youíll constantly be faced with a cost/benefit decision that comes with the combo attacks, which require you figure out how best to use your limited supplies of energy allotted to your attacks.

The only downside to the game is that the port over to the DS really doesnít bring anything new to the table. It uses some dated visuals which really stand out, and not in a positive way. Though it comes with a very basic Monster Rancher-esque multiplayer mode, I was hoping for more, especially considering the $40 cost of entry. However, itís still an amazing experience, well worth your time and money. As many fans have told me over the years, Chrono Trigger is something that everyone should play and after getting my hands on it, I have to agree. Itís truly an exemplary title that deserves every bit of acclaim it gets. In short, itís the real deal.

How is this not at least a 9?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2008, 12:57:42 AM »

I've never played it, and am really looking forward to it. Glad to see they didn't do anything crazy like up the difficulty X 10. Speaking of which I need to get back to and finish FFIV before I get this. At least I got by that god damned tower of zot. ZOT~! ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTT~!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2008, 01:08:56 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 20, 2008, 02:48:56 PM

Eh, I can think of a couple of reasons for no graphics overhaul:

2) CT just isn't on the same scale of success as Final Fantasy so it may not justify the increased expense a complete remake would entail. 

I prefer crisp 2D graphics over the blocky pixely 3D graphics that the DS is capable of…
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2008, 02:02:06 AM »

After reading the review...yeah, why wasn't the score higher than that?

No matter - doesn't sway my purchasing decision. biggrin

tylertoo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2008, 02:36:25 PM »

Christ, are spoiler tags no longer working?  I just re-read this thread in anticipation of next week's release, and found that Tebunker's reply (reply #35) to my questions included a spoiler of the ending uncovered!   mad mad 

This is NOT Tebunker's fault, he had covered it with a spoiler tag.  Tebunker, can you edit the post now so other CT newbs don't read the ending.

Now I know the ending, not sure I feel like playing....
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2008, 02:58:50 PM »

Quote from: tylertoo on November 21, 2008, 02:36:25 PM

Christ, are spoiler tags no longer working?  I just re-read this thread in anticipation of next week's release, and found that Tebunker's reply (reply #35) to my questions included a spoiler of the ending uncovered!   mad mad 

This is NOT Tebunker's fault, he had covered it with a spoiler tag.  Tebunker, can you edit the post now so other CT newbs don't read the ending.

Well, this has been discussed for awhile, with the confusing title, "Spoiler Tags no longer working."  http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,30164.0.html

tylertoo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2008, 03:46:16 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 21, 2008, 02:58:50 PM

Well, this has been discussed for awhile, with the confusing title, "Spoiler Tags no longer working."  http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,30164.0.html

Maybe it could be stickied.  Its now buried on the second page here.  I obviously never saw it, or I wouldn't have posted as I did, so no need for sarcasm.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2008, 03:50:43 PM »

Quote from: tylertoo on November 21, 2008, 03:46:16 PM

Maybe it could be stickied.  Its now buried on the second page here.  I obviously never saw it, or I wouldn't have posted as I did, so no need for sarcasm.

Done. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2008, 03:56:43 PM »

Quote from: tylertoo on November 21, 2008, 03:46:16 PM

Snarkiness only crept into after I realized the title used the exact same words you did.  Sorry, I found that amusing.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 05:10:51 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

tylertoo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2008, 06:02:38 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 21, 2008, 03:56:43 PM

Sorry, I found that amusing.

No problem.  And sorry all for my angry tone.

So back to the original topic, who's getting this on day one?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2008, 06:21:50 PM »

Quote from: tylertoo on November 21, 2008, 06:02:38 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 21, 2008, 03:56:43 PM

Sorry, I found that amusing.

No problem.  And sorry all for my angry tone.

Even though I won't have finished DQIV yet, I will get this as close to Day 1 as the holiday allows.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2008, 06:27:54 PM »

Quote from: tylertoo on November 21, 2008, 02:36:25 PM

Not trying to spoil you anymore, but if it makes you feel any better, what ended up uncovered has next to nothing to do with the ending(s). There are 14 total endings, and it would/will take a monster of a post to explain them all and explain how to get them. Oh, and I added some space for people to be able to avoid the spoiler now.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2008, 06:41:34 PM »

Quote from: tylertoo on November 21, 2008, 06:02:38 PM

Abso-freaking-lutely in for day one.

ďMy next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2008, 07:55:24 PM »

I'm kicking myself for getting rid of my DS now...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2008, 10:51:38 PM »

There's a rather cool pre-order bonus from Gamestop:

Reserve Chrono Trigger and receive the Chrono Trigger CD.

The Chrono Trigger CD includes two tracks:

* Chrono Trigger Theme Orchestra Version
    * Chrono Trigger Medley Orchestra Version

Available for online and in-store customers only, while supplies last.

I'm sure everyone who has played it remembers how awesome Mitsuda's soundtrack was, and I can't wait for a couple orchestral arrangements.  smile

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2008, 01:37:32 PM »

Has anyone seen word of a strategy guide for this?  I usually like to have one for these types of game, mostly to keep my place in between sessions.

somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2008, 02:22:55 PM »

I never played chrono trigger. Can anyone tell me if it feels more like a final fantasy or more like a secret of mana game? What I've seen looks a little more like realtime action combat which I love, I am not nearly as in love with turn based.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2008, 02:55:57 PM »

It's pseudo-turn-based using ATB like the FF games usually do. However, unlike those FF titles, positioning actually plays into strategy in Chrono. Unfortunately, you have no control over where your team members are positioned.

StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2008, 03:58:41 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on November 24, 2008, 02:55:57 PM

It's pseudo-turn-based using ATB like the FF games usually do. However, unlike those FF titles, positioning actually plays into strategy in Chrono. Unfortunately, you have no control over where your team members are positioned.

Now that's confusing. If positioning is important, how come you don't control it? It doesn't make sense, I am sure I am missing something.

I also never played CT, seeing all this excitement makes me think I should try it. smile
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2008, 05:58:15 PM »

It's confusing to explain, but simple in execution. Basically, when a battle starts, your team and the enemy team get into preset positions (each encounter's positions are preset by the game design). Where the positioning gets important is mostly regarding where the enemies are. Your characters' special attacks do area effects in different ways.

For instance, Lucca has a line attack with fire that hits anything between her and the enemy she's targeting. Chrono has a spin attack that's centered on the enemy you target and hits any other enemies in close range. Some attacks are full-screen area of effect, some are lines up or across the screen, and so on.

It's easy to understand in-game, and actually turns each encounter into a sort of puzzle. "What attacks will most efficiently and/or safely see me through THIS particular situation?" It's fun, though sometimes a little infuriating when you can almost get all the enemies into an attack but not quite because they're spaced just a little too far apart. slywink

somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2008, 09:07:28 PM »

I took a look at some gameplay videos and it looks like something I'd enjoy. It looks like battles take place on the field (instead of in a combat screen FF style) and the attacks are a bit more realtime feeling.

I'm in.  icon_biggrin

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2008, 01:24:46 AM »

Just a word of advise - there's a good reason why this game keeps coming up on people's Top 10 RPG lists and other top things. This game is an absolute classic.

tylertoo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2008, 02:08:55 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 25, 2008, 01:24:46 AM

Just a word of advise - there's a good reason why this game keeps coming up on people's Top 10 RPG lists and other top things. This game is an absolute classic.

Ok, enough already.  Since first word of CT DS, my attitude has gone from a 'no thanks, not another JRPG' to 'maybe' to a 'definite but wait for Christmas' to 'I want it now.'   So when is it out?  Next month?  Next week?  Tomorrow?

Tomorrow!!!  eek eek

Actually, I guess the stores won't get it until Wed.    crybaby
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2008, 03:44:50 AM »

Top ten? Hell, it's in my top five. smile

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2008, 03:51:48 AM »

It's in my top 3.  I can play it over and over again and never get tired of it.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2008, 03:57:57 AM »

My top five jrpg's are basically games between which I simply can't elevate any above the others, so it's a five-way tie for first place. smile

Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest 8
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy VI
Skies of Arcadia

There are others that are supremely awesome, but those five are each definitive in their own way. All incredible games, and darn near as perfect as jrpg's can get for my tastes. The biggest negative of the bunch is the crazy encounter rate in Skies of Arcadia. slywink However, the positives of that game outweigh that one negative so strongly that it doesn't hurt its overall rating for me.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2008, 05:11:26 AM »

Top 10

Quote from: Farscry on November 25, 2008, 03:44:50 AM

Top ten? Hell, it's in my top five. smile

Quote from: Eel Snave on November 25, 2008, 03:51:48 AM

It's in my top 3.

I've got you all beat.  It's my top -1 game.  So there!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2008, 05:12:27 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on November 25, 2008, 03:57:57 AM

The biggest negative of the bunch is the crazy encounter rate in Skies of Arcadia. slywink However, the positives of that game outweigh that one negative so strongly that it doesn't hurt its overall rating for me.

Heh.  After reading your list, I immediately hit "reply" to comment that there was no way SoA could make my top 5 because of the crazy encounter rate.  Then I read the rest of your post.   icon_lol

That's a good list, although mine would be a little bit different.  I'd put FF VII in place of SoA and Shadow Hearts:  Covenant in place of DQ8, which was a bit too grindy for my tastes.  I'm also not completely sold on Chrono Trigger as one of my all-time faves, but I only played the PS1 emulated version.  I'm reserving judgment until I play the DS version, which should eliminate the crazy load times from the PS1.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2008, 05:14:56 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 25, 2008, 05:12:27 AM

I only played the PS1 emulated version.  I'm reserving judgment until I play the DS version, which should eliminate the crazy load times from the PS1.

Ouch, yes, the PS1 port of Chrono Trigger just outright sucked due to that. So badly that I wound up hunting down an SNES cart of the game a few years ago to have a playable edition available. Wish I'd known they were going to port it to the DS back then. slywink

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: