http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 01:06:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chrono Trigger (formerly: Now You're Talking)  (Read 2747 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2006, 02:54:26 AM »

After my poor experience with FFVII  I feared that the other retro games I ordered would be poorly received by yours truly as well.  For me FFVII was wasted money.  Would it turn out to be true for my two other 'retro' purchases? Was the reason I couldn't get into FFVII because of the out of date graphics or something else.  Turns out it was...something else.

With trepidation I fired up Chrono Trigger.  Within 5 minutes I was hooked.  Within an hr it had become a game that I didn't want to turn off, but after I did I found myself anxiously waiting to play it again.

The only differences I can figure between the two are that the story for CT kicks in within 10 or so minutes, the music is amazing and I like the characters from the outset.  In FFVII none of those things was true for me.

I was worried that I had become someone who agreed with the statement that graphics are as important as story...that I'd become one of 'those' gamers.  The good news is I haven't smile biggrin  Cool .
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 03:48:00 AM »

It helps that 2D graphics hold up better.  The FF7 characters looks ridiculous now, but the detailed sprites of CT will always look good.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 04:00:58 AM »

CT is one of my all-time favorites.  Glad to hear you're loving it.  Frog rules!

Now when you're done will you play Chrono Cross (the sorta sequel) or will you stay in super-retro mode and play Final Fantasy III (later renamed to Final Fantasy VI) - perhaps the best of the Final Fantasy games?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 05:19:24 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
CT is one of my all-time favorites.  Glad to hear you're loving it.  Frog rules!

Now when you're done will you play Chrono Cross (the sorta sequel) or will you stay in super-retro mode and play Final Fantasy III (later renamed to Final Fantasy VI) - perhaps the best of the Final Fantasy games?

Couldn't have said it better.  You have a fine taste in games my friend   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Hapfloyde
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 06:01:08 AM »

CT is easily the best console RPG I have ever played.  I replayed it using new game+ so many times my chars were all maxed out and I STILL loved playing through it.

Ha, ha, ha. You have struck Hercules!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 07:28:17 AM »

My suggestion is to make sure you play Final Fantasy 6, widely considered one of the best FF games to date.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 11:51:07 AM »

I have FFX and only paid $2.40 for it.  I've heard that it's supposed to be a very good recent FF game....so....

As for III, VI IV or whatever, I don't know that I'll be going back to the early FF games as everyone says that one of them is considered the best FF game evar!  That's what happened with VII and I just couldn't get into it.

As for Chrono Cross, I actually ordered that one first when I read that CT was a Super NIN title.  Then I found out that CT was rereleased on PSX and had to get it as well (it came bundled with FF IV which I will not be playing).

Gamespot gives Chrono Cross a 10. That's what started my attempts to get into the series...can't wait to get to that one!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 07:17:11 PM »

The PSX release of Chrono Trigger in the Final Fantasy Chronicles pack has horrible load times.  It takes like, three seconds to get to the menu screen forgodssakes!  FFIV made a smoother transition.

The PSX FFVI also has some less-than-stellar load times compared to the SNES release, but they're seemingly masked by some scroll in/out transitions in and out of battle and otherwise.

Still played through both PSX versions anyway.  FFVI, Chrono Trigger, AND FFIV have all stood the test of time well.

unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 07:21:33 PM »

I believe somebody said the load times are gone if you run the PS version with an emulator.  I never did this, since I find the PS emulator to be kind of a pain (plus I just stick to the SNES version).
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 08:06:55 PM »

I don't know if running it on a PS2 counts, but there are quite frequent loads (from the world to the character screens for example).  It's rather annoying but not huge.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 12:39:53 PM »

Forgive me while I gush: I love love love love LOVE Chrono Trigger.

The characters are fabulous, the story quite absorbing and fun and the music...ohhhh the music.  It's simply brilliant.

True it's all MIDI (I think that's what they call it), but man does it evoke a reaction from this player.

What I call the 'victory music' (it's first played when Frog appears for the first time) is smile inducing simplicity.  I can't wait to hit the next area or achieve the next feat that make it play as I smile in spite of myself.

The battle combos are all clever and although wholly in 2D they are wonderful to behold.

Finally, since this is the PSX re-issue, the cutscenes have (or were) redone in Anime style.  Fabulous!

Friends, I am in love.  I am absolutely smitten by this game.

You can go home again.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 01:30:03 PM »

ATB gets a Playstation 2.

Plays a Playstation game.

Which is a remake of a Super Nintendo game.

Tongue

It truly is an amazing game.  Chrono Cross is great as well.  It's not quite as good as Chrono Trigger but I thought the music in Chrono Cross was slightly better and its battle system was more fun.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 01:38:50 PM »

Chrono Trigger has, without a doubt, one of the great scores of all time.

ATB, be warned, Chrono Cross is a substantially different game in almost all facets.  Don't be expecting a direct sequel.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 01:56:13 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
ATB, be warned, Chrono Cross is a substantially different game in almost all facets.  Don't be expecting a direct sequel.

Infact, don't expect much of anything like Chrono Trigger in Chrono Cross.

I loved Trigger, just couldn't 'get' (or enjoy) Cross.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2006, 02:14:08 PM »

The more time that passes, the more I look on Chrono Trigger as the best console rpg ever made.  I have many that I love: FFVI, IV, and IX, Grandia 1, Lunar:SSS, Skies of Arcadia, and Dragon Quest VIII are all my favorites.  However, of all these games, Chrono Trigger is the most flawlessly executed of them all.

It's perfectly paced, has a great battle system, a story that manages to be just light-hearted enough but yet throw in serious story elements and an engaging plot overall, beautiful artwork, and a brilliant soundtrack that hits just the right spot every time (my personal favorite track is the AD600 overworld track, with the Undersea Palace as runner-up; Mitsuda's "Brink of Time" arranged soundtrack has a great jazz-style rendition of the Undersea Palace track as well).

I also played it through countless times both with the New Game+ mode (with characters fully maxxed out after a while) and with starting regular games.  I played it until I'd achieved every one of the 10-11 endings and found every secret (I eventually bought a guide and confirmed that I'd gotten all the secrets and endings).

I've NEVER done that with any other game except for Zelda: A Link to the Past.  That's how good this game was.  I still break this game out every so often since I repurchased it with an SNES a year or two ago, and now I have to go replay it again.

The PSX port is passable, but the MIDI tunes don't play quite right and the load times (mini-delays) drive me nuts.  slywink  The SNES version is the best version.

I really wanted to like Chrono Cross, and while it had a fantastic soundtrack and perfect art direction as well, it just didn't have enough of Chrono Trigger's elements to really do it for me, but I still played all the way through because I had to (it was a Chrono game, darnit!).  I can't believe Gamespot gave CC a 10; perhaps an 8 would be deserved, maybe a 9 for having great pacing, art, music, and a solid battle system.  But as a sequel to CT, which deserves a perfect score, I don't know...

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2006, 04:33:53 PM »

Man... I loved Chrono Trigger as a kid.  I still remember buying it.  It was like $70 at the time or something.

Glad you're enjoying it ATB.  Have you checked out Final Fantasy Tactics yet?

gellar
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2006, 05:59:01 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
I believe somebody said the load times are gone if you run the PS version with an emulator.  I never did this, since I find the PS emulator to be kind of a pain (plus I just stick to the SNES version).

Anybody try Chrono Cross with ePSX on the PC?  I'm wondering if anybody can confirm what unbreakable said.  I don't have a SNES so the PS anthology would be my only choice, unfortunately.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 06:09:40 PM »

The PSX port is passable, but the MIDI tunes don't play quite right and the load times (mini-delays) drive me nuts.

yeah the 'mini loads' are my only real complaint, but they do nothing to tarnish the game...so I wouldn't hold that has a reason to skip it...especially if you don't own a SNIN.slywink

The midi music works fine, than you very much! biggrin
depward

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 06:53:16 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"
Man... I loved Chrono Trigger as a kid.  I still remember buying it.  It was like $70 at the time or something.

When I was a kid playing it, I never actually bought it - I think I rented it around 30 times at the local Hollywood Video.

But yeah, Chrono Trigger has everything.  Such an excellent game.  Throw in the multiple endings (and ways to achieve them - not just an "answer one question towards the very end of the game" sort of structure like Shadow Hearts Covenant) and it's a complete package even non-RPG lovers will like.

And yeah, the characters are quite memorable.  And Frog kicks ass.

bluvasa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 07:21:07 PM »

I am a definite 2d RPG fan.

I own almost all RPGs Square released for the SNES, in the US at least.

Chrono Trigger is one of the best.  Restarting the game with all of your levels and items intact was awesome.  Multiple endings depending on your party, combining magic attacks, Luminare!!!!  I played through the game at least 3 or 4 times.  Chrono at level 99 owns.

My other favorites were FF2 and FF3 (US naming system, I can't remember the Japanese #s), Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore.

I just picked up FF2 for my GBA micro.  If I leave the house, it is in my pocket.  They are also going to release FF3 for the GBA, then I will be in heaven.

If Square-Enix stays on top of things, I may just get Chrono Trigger in handheld form someday. :wink:
Hapfloyde
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 07:37:20 PM »

Chrono at level 99 owns.

My best memory of that game was soloing the last boss with Chrono.  It was quite difficult.

Ha, ha, ha. You have struck Hercules!
bluvasa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2006, 07:49:16 PM »

I used to see fighting the last boss 1 on 1 as some sort of challenge.

I eventually got it down.  Using Luminare, the spell I mentioned before, over and over again.

I can't remember all of the specifics, though.  I haven't picked the game up in 10 years. biggrin
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2006, 11:13:33 PM »

OK, I'm intrigued.  If I were to try and find this game, would I have any other recourse than ebay?

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2006, 11:56:22 PM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
OK, I'm intrigued.  If I were to try and find this game, would I have any other recourse than ebay?

As depward mentioned, Chrono Trigger was released for the original Playstation as a two-disc set with Final Fantasy IV under the name Final Fantasy Chronicles. Gamestop.com has used copies in stock right now for $24.99. GameQuestDirect.com has new (actually its probably a reprint or a reissue) copies in stock right now for $18.99.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2006, 01:14:54 AM »

Gameliquidators on ebay has it in spades I think.  Check it out.
unbreakable
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2006, 02:02:59 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "unbreakable"

Anybody try Chrono Cross with ePSX on the PC?  I'm wondering if anybody can confirm what unbreakable said.  I don't have a SNES so the PS anthology would be my only choice, unfortunately.

Warning posted a link to this site a while ago
Lag When switching screens

There are 2 possibilities here
It's owing to the CD-Rom access time. Try creating an ISO from the CD-Rom, then run it directly in ePSXe (File>Run ISO), or
You are using OpenGL2 and have left Framebuffer Effects on 1 or 2. This introduces pauses when invoking framebuffer effects, like the fade out effect. Set FE to 3 to solve this
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2006, 05:30:56 AM »

Thanks, unbreakable.  I'll have to give that a shot.  Currently I have ePSX running Persona, Persona 2, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.  I got them all backed up to my hard drive and they work great with my PS2 controller.  I'm going to have to find a copy of the anthology for some classic RPG goodness.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2006, 06:38:21 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Including 'quality.'

Chrono Cross sucks balls.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2006, 11:25:46 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Including 'quality.'

Chrono Cross sucks balls.

Hmm?  I wouldn't go that far.  It had some of the best music in a RPG and the battle system was mostly lifted from Xenogears and tweaked a bit.  I really, really enjoyed the combat in Chrono Cross.

Now the story?  I couldn't tell you what it was about so yeah that part sucked.  And for an RPG it is a big part.
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2006, 02:55:48 PM »

I loved Chrono trigger as well.

My retro pick of the month is

"Secret of Mana"

I don't know how I missed it the first time around, but the real-time combat makes it play a lot more like a Zelda game.

I don't have as much patience for turn based RPG's anymore..so the realtime was really what got me interested.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
warning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2006, 02:59:22 PM »

Welcome somoflange!

Supposedly Secret of Mana is a blast to play co-op with someone on the second controller.
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2006, 03:16:14 PM »

Thanks for the welcome!

It's definitely fun. I didn't even realize it supports 2 players. I'll have to check it out.

There is a great gamestore in town that has old consoles for dirt cheap.  Most of their games are under 5 bucks. I'll have to buy up all the classics before they realize they could be selling them for a lot more.

I'd love to see Square bundle up some of their forgotten classics for the PSP. As cool as some of the new games are, I seem to enjoy my "Midway Classics" with dated 2d graphics the best.

Hopefully some of these great RPG's will make it to the PSone ports they promised soon.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2006, 04:46:03 PM »

Supposedly Secret of Mana is a blast to play co-op with someone on the second controller.

Yes, it is a blast to play with a buddy!  That's how I played through it; a friend of mine and I picked it up back when I was in high school and this came out; we played through as a team and had a riot.

This is on my list of SNES games to reacquire.  Fyedaddy needs to play through this one with me.  slywink

bluvasa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2006, 06:30:15 PM »

If you like Secret of Mana, check out Secret of Evermore.  It was an Americanized clone that uses the same combat system, item wheel, etc.  The story and setting are completely different, though.  Your pet dog is your partner, who morphs depending on the area you are in.  I played this one to death, its pretty good.  

There is also at least one Secret of Mana sequel that was never released here in the US.  I know there is a translated rom that is supposedly almost verbatim with the Japanese text.  

Now that I think of it, there could be multiple sequels, all with translations.  Your only chance at playing them is through emulation, though.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2006, 07:04:32 PM »

I actually tried Secret of Evermore back then, and despite actually really wanting to like it, it just never grabbed me.  I made it to the second "chapter" and finally just called it quits.  Lots of great ideas, somehow just didn't mesh with me.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2006, 07:08:30 PM »

Soul Blazer is another great action-RPG for the SNES.  I've played through it 4 times over the years, which is rare for me, as I rarely play any game more than once.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2006, 07:49:31 PM »

Welcome somoflange!

Secret of Mana is a fantastic classic title, and is most definitely a blast to play with a friend.

The sequel (Seiken...something, 3) is also a great game. And yes, the whole 'in Japanese' thing is easily solved with a bit of Google-Fu.

And I have to ask this...:
What the heck is a samoflange? biggrin
(yes, I'm a total geek)

And here's a random thought - anybody here realize that Nintendo is definitely on the right track with their Revolution thanks to total backwards compatibility with all of their classic games and consoles?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2006, 07:55:38 PM »

I recall there being a Samoflange in WoW.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2006, 08:05:35 PM »

And here's a random thought - anybody here realize that Nintendo is definitely on the right track with their Revolution thanks to total backwards compatibility with all of their classic games and consoles?

Yes, that will end up making me spend entirely too much money.  slywink

And I've been dying to quote the classic samophlange question too!  Just didn't find a good moment yet.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2006, 08:22:23 PM »

I have been jonesing so bad for Mike Tyson's Punchout the past couple of years....I don't know that it's a system seller, but...

I have no idea why I sold it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: