http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 07:35:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chronicles of Riddick. How did I miss this?  (Read 1294 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2006, 01:43:43 PM »

Picked up Chronicles of Riddick last night for $7.99.  I remember there being a lot of buzz about it when it came out, but it never struck me as something I'd enjoy.  After putting a couple hours into it last night, I'm completely floored by how good this game is.   The gameplay, atmosphere, graphics (this game looks better than some of the current crop of games, and it's, what, 2 years old?), combat system - everything is spot on and I'm having an absolute blast with it.  Why the hell didn't I get it sooner?

So the question is, does it stay this good through the entire game?  Or is it one of those that starts with a bang and ends with a whimper?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 01:45:51 PM »

I found Riddick to be one the most overrated games I've ever played.

It has some neat story elements, but it wasn't the be all and end all that everyone made it out to be.

It was a good game, but not "!!!!GREAT!!!!"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 02:03:48 PM »

It stays that good.  Great variety of gameplay throughout and the ending is very well done.  Riddick is one of those rare games that I immediately restarted once I finished and played through the whole thing again.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 02:47:19 PM »

It's a real gem of a game.  It basically came out of nowhere and at the same time looked amazing and played great.  Both the melee and the shooting components were very well done.  I wasn't as nuts about the stealth parts but they didn't throw the game off or anything.

I've got the PC version and I'm sure I'll play it through again to hear the developers' commentary.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 03:05:56 PM »

I loved the Chronicles of Riddick.  Back when it came out, it was one of the few games that I finished and I loved every minute of it.  I remember how disappointed I was that the movie sucked.   :lol:
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 03:30:03 PM »

Quote from: "The_Man"
I loved the Chronicles of Riddick.  Back when it came out, it was one of the few games that I finished and I loved every minute of it.  I remember how disappointed I was that the movie sucked.   :lol:

Hmm.

I enjoyed the movie more than the game.  And I though the game was pretty good.  :?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 03:47:02 PM »

The director's cut of the movie is way better than the theatrical release, FYI. Also, the game is one of the best I've played from this generation. The year it was released it was my console game of the year. Fantastic start to finish, atmospheric, solid storyline and engaging lead character (how could it not be since it's Vin Diesel), and great ending. I didn't like some of the backtracking later in the game, but on the whole it was consistently great. Enjoy.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 04:12:57 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"

So the question is, does it stay this good through the entire game?  Or is it one of those that starts with a bang and ends with a whimper?

Just to answer your original question, yes you could say it ends with a bang.  I think Riddick had one of my favorite ending portions to a game in that generation.  Let's just say that you're not always going to be sneaking around in the dark...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 04:23:30 PM »

Seconded. You won't be dissapointed in the end (and it ties in nicely to Pitch Black, if you've seen that).
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 05:00:29 PM »

I liked the production values of the game, but I couldn't stand the gameplay. I think it was because I couldn't decide when I was or wasn't supposed to stealth, and the stealth aspect didn't work well. I tried to love it a few times, but failed.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 09:19:10 PM »

I loved it for all the reasons you've already mentioned Gratch.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2006, 10:19:39 PM »

lol,i loved the game...hated the movies

the graphics were something as well for xbox1

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
MerianMoriarty
Gaming Trend Reader

You will be baked, and then there will be cake.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 08:53:12 AM »

i loved it.  the ending seemed somehow abrupt and strangely-scaled in difficulty compared to the rest of the game, but it was a charming and novel experience (when it first came out, anyway).  i liked going back to the badass persona that riddick started with (as opposed to his 'i used to be a badass, but now i'm a conflicted and reluctant antihero' persona from the movie CoR), and some of his lines were so wonderfully 'classic riddick' (like "it's not the fall that kills you...*SPLAT*...it's the sudden stop at the end.").

XBox Live Gamertag: M Moriarty

Currently Playing:
<360> eternal sonata/warriors orochi/PORTAL!/that-game-with-that-dude-in-the-spacesuit-and-all-those-alien-guys3
<XBox> ...
<PS2> ffxii (working on Yiazmat) (on indefinite hold)
<PSP> dead head
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 03:00:20 PM »

I really enjoyed this game, too.  The neck snapping and disarming moves were very cool.  But I also really dig the Riddick movies.  I'm generaly not a Vin Diesel fan, but I think he's perfectly fit for the role.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 04:05:15 PM »

I can't believe I'm writing this, but I thought Vin Diesel's voice acting in the game was great.  He could've phoned in the performance, but he really went all out, even rivaling some of his lines from the movies.  How many actors could pull off a cheesy, over the top, dark, brooding anti-hero without sounding like a complete tool? Anyway, he did a great job in the game.
unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 10:58:49 PM »

From what I read, Deisel was really involved in both the movie and the game, wanting to make sure it was as good as it could be.  I hear he is a big video game fan, and even played D&D back in the day.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 06:37:52 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
From what I read, Deisel was really involved in both the movie and the game, wanting to make sure it was as good as it could be.  I hear he is a big video game fan, and even played D&D back in the day.

I read this also. Basically, the whole character story was made for him and frankly no one else could play the role of Riddick as well.

I loved the movies and the game as well. I agree the ending did seem abrupt and I also agree with Moriarty (although I hadn't thought about it until she mentioned it) that I liked his bad-ass criminal persona a bit better than the reluctant hero but I can still live with it.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: