http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 07:06:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chromehounds: Worth the purchase?  (Read 1053 times)
Luminescent Pubes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2006, 06:57:03 PM »

Im a fan of mech games, and this just sounds too good to pass up. But I've read about some problems (i.e. hours of aimless wandering, imba builds.)
Anyone have any problems game wise with this title?

Gamertag: omg nintendo64
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 08:15:40 PM »

The big issue is getting into a good group (that constantly plays). I've noticed that people aren't playing the game as much as they used to (and I do the same too, unfortunately), and the whole game is being with your friends against a group of either AI or other players.

As far as unbalance goes, yes, there are some issues with certain Hound designs. But there are balances and counters to those designs as well. But when everybody you face is playing the 'Hound of the week', it makes things rather...boring.

It's still a lot of fun though. But online play is where the game is at. If you don't intend to play much online, then this game is not for you.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 01:24:37 AM »

Starting this weekend I and Papasmurff should be able to be on much more again.  (evil training)  Also, Moriarty will be back, and you know she's going to be up for some mech action.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 03:27:53 AM »

I should be on some this weekend if I can get my son to stop playing galaga lol. icon_twisted

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 04:05:17 AM »

Just gotta go with no man. Its an awful game SP, but I didn't get much MP in at all, because I frankly think the game mechanics are just broken.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 07:35:53 AM »

Despite how much I like the game.  I'm going to have to say no as well.

Wait for Chromehounds 2, or some other mech combat game that includes a better SP game and an online mode that's not so quirky.

Armored Core is coming to the 360, that might be something to try.
Marcin
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 01:10:41 PM »

Quote from: Luminescent Pubes on August 16, 2006, 06:57:03 PM

Im a fan of mech games, and this just sounds too good to pass up. But I've read about some problems (i.e. hours of aimless wandering, imba builds.)
Anyone have any problems game wise with this title?

Whoever said "hours of wandering" is wrong; I can't think of a single mission that took longer than 10-15 minutes.

The game IS fully online, however. The single player is NOT a campaign, despite billing itself as such - it's merely training, and a much more fleshed-out one that any other current MP game out there (BF2, UnrealTourney, what have you). I guess it's kinda like Tribes: Vengeance (well, if it had caught on as much as the original Tribes had) - there is a story in there, but anyone buying it for the single player is completely missing the point.

It's a fantastic mech game and you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you skip it. Since you're a fan of mechs, this should be a no brainer.

It really should have come with a huge sticker that said "Multiplayer only! You'll need a group! (training included)". If multi is not your thing, then definitely skip it.
Luminescent Pubes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 02:45:58 PM »

hm interesting...well is there a GT squad?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 03:06:05 PM »

Quote from: Luminescent Pubes on August 17, 2006, 02:45:58 PM

It's called the GT Goonsquad.  I can't remember off hand and I'm at work so I can't check but I think there is 1 spot currently open.  That said, things are kinda dead right now.  The Squad leader if off getting drunk in Tiajuana and the evil Morskoj have distracted everyone with zombies...

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Luminescent Pubes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 03:19:10 AM »

O

MerianMoriarty
Gaming Trend Reader

You will be baked, and then there will be cake.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 01:17:13 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 17, 2006, 03:06:05 PM

The Squad leader if off getting drunk in Tiajuana and the evil Morskoj have distracted everyone with zombies...

not ZOMBIES!  D=  we'd better whip out our CAMERAS!  XD  (i have to admit that the Dead Rising demo was pretty damn hilarious...)

and i was just on shore leave (or something, lol), but i'm coming back soon.  but i'll warn you that i may occasionally be distracted by rolling up the world into a giant katamari, or by blowing sh*t up with Mr. Valentine (sorry guys, but Vinnie's better looking than your mechs' fat asses XD). also, i haven't finished Oblivion and jarrod got N3, so that just makes even MORE distraction factors.

the key to playing well in Chromehounds is to pick a mech style that suits you and stick with it, fads be damned.  also, having a Commander on your squad when you drop is a HUGE boon (as long as your Commander avoids combat).  for my case, i'm best with long range weapons like sniping cannons and howitzers -- you tell me which enemy base to aim for, have someone within visual to confirm my range-finders (snipers are great for vis confirmation), and i'll blow the base away from over a hill and more than a klick out. <3

back to the main topic of the thread, however --
Chromehounds is best in multiplayer, with real people for allies.  the one-mech drops in multiplayer are sucky, and the singleplayer campaign is unsatisfying, in general, although it's a great way to get free starting parts and get used to certain classes.  if either of these issues bother you too much, you're better off saving the money for something a little shallower, like Mech Assault.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 02:59:47 PM by MerianMoriarty » Logged

XBox Live Gamertag: M Moriarty

Currently Playing:
<360> eternal sonata/warriors orochi/PORTAL!/that-game-with-that-dude-in-the-spacesuit-and-all-those-alien-guys3
<XBox> ...
<PS2> ffxii (working on Yiazmat) (on indefinite hold)
<PSP> dead head
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 01:20:00 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 17, 2006, 03:06:05 PM

Quote from: Luminescent Pubes on August 17, 2006, 02:45:58 PM

It's called the GT Goonsquad.  I can't remember off hand and I'm at work so I can't check but I think there is 1 spot currently open.  That said, things are kinda dead right now.  The Squad leader if off getting drunk in Tiajuana and the evil Morskoj have distracted everyone with zombies...

You damn dirty liar!!!!!

Sadly my 360 is still sitting at an MS repair shop.
Luminescent Pubes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 03:19:19 PM »

so as of right now, the GT squad is Sal Kar, right?

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 03:37:04 PM »

If I recall, the goonsquad is completely full.  The Furious Octopi have spots open for a while.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: