http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 05:46:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chromehounds - NOW WITH IMPRESSIONS  (Read 50468 times)
Jarrodhk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: August 02, 2006, 04:52:03 PM »

I'm sure I'll be playing both.  Anyone who wants an easy win or two at SF can hit me up with an invite.

My current soldier is a decent mix of speed and firepower.  Weak on the defense of course.  Quad machine guns, 3 sal kar rocket launchers, speed 194 with an armor plate over the cockpit, 201 without the armor.

I hate how fragile the legs are, but I love the speed and agility I get with them.  As long as I can avoid a chunk of the firepower heading my way I'm good, the times when I get stopped in my tracks by a cannon round tend to lead to a dead mech right quick.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 02, 2006, 06:22:54 PM »

Guys and gals, I would love to be playing tonight, but I don't think you will see me.  I have a Money policy final tomorrow in Economics.  Have fun without me frown !!!

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #602 on: August 02, 2006, 06:38:25 PM »

And two interesting links:

http://boards.sega.com/chromehounds/viewtopic.php?t=2830: An armor test between a few pieces of armor. Page 2 has an update where they used CE and Machine Gun rounds. A few tidbits came up - KE weapons lose a lot of damage before they get close to max range. And that the 2k durability armor isn't worth it even though the damage reduction says it should be.

http://www.maven.de/chromehounds/: A full current listing of all the parts currently activated in the game. This may or may not be the full list. Yes, there is a 3 shot Assault Rifle in that list. Best part of this link? You can psuedo build your Hound while at work or something. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 02, 2006, 06:46:22 PM »

You all with your 21 page and counting thread, along with an old college buddy, have gotten me to buy a copy of Chromehounds off EBay.  My few minutes of spare time a day thanks you...  smile

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 02, 2006, 06:49:49 PM »

Quote from: "JLu"
You all with your 21 page and counting thread, along with an old college buddy, have gotten me to buy a copy of Chromehounds off EBay.  My few minutes of spare time a day thanks you...  smile

If the GT squad is full, you're welcome to join the OO/GT secondary squad (check the other CH thread).

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 02, 2006, 07:09:19 PM »

It list the 3 shot Assault Rifle as a Tarakian part and I've  NEVER seen it.  It certainly hasn't been a experimental part.

[/b]

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #606 on: August 02, 2006, 07:35:08 PM »

Don't fall into the trap of taking a heavier base all the time.  Bases like treads and multilegs are big targets, slower than usual, and either don't have enough turn or rotation rate.

The treads may seem like a nice amount of load for little trade off, but people forget its horrible turning rate, making you unable to dodge incoming fire.  As above, it's also a huge target, so any enemy who knows how to fight will take out your base first, making you even slower.  Then either they'll take out your cockpit or keep shooting your base so that the damage transfers to the cockpit.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 02, 2006, 07:39:02 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Don't fall into the trap of taking a heavier base all the time.  Bases like treads and multilegs are big targets, slower than usual, and either don't have enough turn or rotation rate.

The treads may seem like a nice amount of load for little trade off, but people forget its horrible turning rate, making you unable to dodge incoming fire.  As above, it's also a huge target, so any enemy who knows how to fight will take out your base first, making you even slower.  Then either they'll take out your cockpit or keep shooting your base so that the damage transfers to the cockpit.

It's easier to dodge on treads if you pick a spot to set up in and turn sideways right away.  The trade-off, of course, is that you present a much bigger profile at the base like that.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #608 on: August 02, 2006, 08:52:16 PM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
It list the 3 shot Assault Rifle as a Tarakian part and I've  NEVER seen it.  It certainly hasn't been a experimental part.

But remember how the Newmann went from an Experimental Part to a normal one? New items will pop up from time to time during the many wars.

It'll keep the game a bit fresh, among other things.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 02, 2006, 09:10:11 PM »

From what I've observed in the game so far, I'm thinking the tech only gets updated on the maintance day.  I don't think I've seen a new item show up except after the tuesday maintance time.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #610 on: August 03, 2006, 09:57:14 AM »

Just fought some nasty designs recently, I was the only one who got any kills on my team.

One guy had 6 cannons loaded on his hound.  He would fire two at a time, and since cannons have a big kick, getting hit by one will cause you to stop in place while your shocks absorb the impact and heat.  So after the first hit, he quickly switches to the second set of cannons and fires again, stunning you again, and so on.  You can still shoot back, but unless you've got something heavy you're a goner.

Another design had a tight cluster of 4 sniper cannons, once again with the best ammo.  The guy maxed out his stability, allowing him to fire all 4 sniper cannons together with very little recoil.  If he hits the cockpit on some weaker designs it'll be dead in one hit.  The guy was pretty accurate too.

My current soldier build is 4 assault rifles and two anti hound rockets, along with a missile counter.  All this on a biped base traveling at about 175 top speed.

Assault rifles are quite nice as they're accurate at even long ranges, dont' have much recoil, and do a decent amount of damage.  Just make sure you cluster them instead of spreading them out to focus the damage in one area.  They're also useable at close range, so you aren't sacrificing close range effectiveness.  I prefer these over machineguns any day.

The anti hound rockets are fun because they're light, have no recoil, do a lot of damage, fly faster than rocket pods, and, despite their low range number, can be used to hit distant targets.

This config allows me to choose how I fight, either standing off with the assault rifles at medium range, or going in with rifles and rockets at close range.  The faster biped base has enough turn rating to let me quickly dodge incoming fire, and during a fight, I can just run little figure eights to avoid attacks.

Oh, and can we get a seperate thread in the multiplayer section that has the info about all our affiliated Chromehounds squads, with posts only about the squads?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #611 on: August 03, 2006, 01:31:58 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
One guy had 6 cannons loaded on his hound.  He would fire two at a time, and since cannons have a big kick, getting hit by one will cause you to stop in place while your shocks absorb the impact and heat.  So after the first hit, he quickly switches to the second set of cannons and fires again, stunning you again, and so on.  You can still shoot back, but unless you've got something heavy you're a goner.

I had that design at one point, but I had to sacrifice all my defense in order to load in that many guns. It was a nice design, but it wasn't practical in being in the middle of a firefight with. So I currently use 4.

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 03, 2006, 03:43:22 PM »

I was fooling around this morning with the 'Change Parts' option, and realized that when I switched my soldier from a biped base to a tread base, I was able to mount an additional light weapon, an additional piece of armor, AND gain speed.

Now I'm going to go tinker with the rest of my builds and see the glorious ways I can improve their designs.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #613 on: August 03, 2006, 05:02:55 PM »

Quote from: "DonD"
I was fooling around this morning with the 'Change Parts' option, and realized that when I switched my soldier from a biped base to a tread base, I was able to mount an additional light weapon, an additional piece of armor, AND gain speed.

And another person finds out just how good the tread bases are. biggrin

Turtle - you do have a point though. Your upper half turns fast while on treads, but the lower half doesn't. It's harder to make those sharp turns on treads. And if you hit something, you need to wait while being completely still for your treads to turn around before you start moving.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #614 on: August 03, 2006, 06:07:54 PM »

I fucking hate you all.

I have the game coming in the mail. :sob:

Jerks.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #615 on: August 03, 2006, 06:58:51 PM »

Watch that speed go away mid fight when someone blasts that huge, easily targetted tread base right out from under you.  Let me tell you, it's real boring to have a tread base shot out from under you and the horrible speed it has.  Tread bases lose a lot of speed when they are blown.

Since you're almost guaranteed to have your base blown out when moving forward on the attack, treads are best for defensive work where the enemy comes to you, and you can park your tread hull down.

One more light weapon, one piece of armor, and a little bit more speed isn't all that much.  Although it seems like a lot, it depends entirely on how you play your hound and gearing the hound towards a play style rather than fitting everything you can on a hound.  What's the armament of that hound you just made?

Honestly, as much as I like treads, I like being able to dodge incoming fire more with my biped designs.  Since damage to destroyed parts is transferred to the cockpit, those treads become a big liability when they inevitably get blown out.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 03, 2006, 07:04:21 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
I fucking hate you all.

Jerks.

If it makes you feel any better; my copy is somewhere in the US Postal Services system as well...  It hurts waiting...

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #617 on: August 03, 2006, 07:20:10 PM »

I didn't want to get sucked in. frown

damned forum effect is still in play.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 03, 2006, 07:26:04 PM »

With all of these people joining the game late, we ought to have at least two full squads of 20.  I'm loving it (if only because the Furious Octopi is a rather lonely place to be sometimes).

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 07, 2006, 05:41:23 PM »

Just wanted to let you guys know that I will be trading in the game on Wednesday in order to get Dead Rising so yo ucan pull me out of the squad.  I love the game, but I find it, like all MMOs, tend to make me play that game and that game only, ignoring all other great games in the process.  Good for the wallet, but bad for the love of my hobby.  This is why I haven't been playing lately as I've been forcing myself to stay away.  Anyway, thanks to everyone in GT Goonsquad for making the game so fun to play.  I feel I got my money's worth out of it the limited time I did play.  It's just that when I play MMOs I feel like I have to play it a ton in order to keep up with everyone and it gets me into a trap where I start ignoring things that truly matter.  Games that have pause buttons don't do that to me. smile

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #620 on: August 07, 2006, 06:51:44 PM »

Quote from: "The Grue"
Just wanted to let you guys know that I will be trading in the game on Wednesday in order to get Dead Rising so yo ucan pull me out of the squad.  I love the game, but I find it, like all MMOs, tend to make me play that game and that game only, ignoring all other great games in the process.  Good for the wallet, but bad for the love of my hobby.  This is why I haven't been playing lately as I've been forcing myself to stay away.  Anyway, thanks to everyone in GT Goonsquad for making the game so fun to play.  I feel I got my money's worth out of it the limited time I did play.  It's just that when I play MMOs I feel like I have to play it a ton in order to keep up with everyone and it gets me into a trap where I start ignoring things that truly matter.  Games that have pause buttons don't do that to me. smile

We'll miss ya Grue.  

On another topic....how the hell do you beat the final single player mission?  It is next to impossible and they don't give you a great deal to work with in terms of parts.  I have the cockpit that I started with which leaves me with little to no health. frown

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 07, 2006, 06:54:03 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

We'll miss ya Grue.  

On another topic....how the hell do you beat the final single player mission?  It is next to impossible and they don't give you a great deal to work with in terms of parts.  I have the cockpit that I started with which leaves me with little to no health. frown

Single player?? This game has single player... are you sure?

:lol:
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #622 on: August 07, 2006, 07:01:33 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"

We'll miss ya Grue.  

Single player?? This game has single player... are you sure?

:lol:

Do yourself a favor and skip it. I'm going to obliterate it in my review.  What a colossal waste of time.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 07, 2006, 07:07:04 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
I fucking hate you all.

Jerks.

Dude, trust me, you'll love it!  Join us in the Furious Octopi!  biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 07, 2006, 07:20:36 PM »

I thought we needed to do the single player to unlock certain pieces of equipment for the hounds?

I've played one hour of that single player so far; it feels 'empty' is the best description for it.  Looking forward to having the time to trying it out online for real!

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #625 on: August 07, 2006, 07:22:51 PM »

Every single player part you get is inferior to even the basic online parts.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 07, 2006, 07:24:38 PM »

So it's literally a waste of time!!  Thank you for sparing me a few hours.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 07, 2006, 08:33:31 PM »

Yes the single player is an utter waste.  The multiplayer is where it is at.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #628 on: August 08, 2006, 12:21:48 AM »

Can't you build your own Hound on that mission? Even if you can't, play keep away from what I've read (haven't done it myself as as you said, it's a waste of time) and never attack more than one Hound at a time at maximum range.

Assault Rifles (you should have 4 assuming you did well on the mission that gave them to you) with extra ammo do decent enough damage at range. Just keep firing and moving until they go boom.

Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 08, 2006, 02:01:29 AM »

Sniper cannon (again, assuming you did well onthe missiosns that give them to you) can also be useful.

Also, don't go with a heavy hound that's slow to move, you want to be able to RUN AWAY. slywink

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #630 on: August 08, 2006, 02:31:43 AM »

I can't pass the first defender mission. :cry:
If I could build my own HOUND I'm sure I could, but it seems the first missions you have to use what they give you.

And sorry I haven't been online much the past few days.  I've been off work for two months and just started back again.  I'm still getting back in the swing of things.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 08, 2006, 02:51:07 AM »

Quote from: "Atragon"
Sniper cannon (again, assuming you did well onthe missiosns that give them to you) can also be useful.

Also, don't go with a heavy hound that's slow to move, you want to be able to RUN AWAY. slywink

Yeah, definitely make a relatively quick sniper hound for this one.  What I did was take a pot shot at the enemy leader (not the Commander with the NA) at maximum range.  That caused him and his buddy with the short range weapons come after me.  Taking the two of them out while slowly retreating was sorta simple after that.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 08, 2006, 02:23:24 PM »

We'll miss ya Grue.  

It took me a few different custom hounds, but I ended up with rockets and howitzers with one machine gun using a multi-base and heavy cockpit.

I went to the hill on the right and shelled the crap out of them. I was able to take out the soldier and the commander.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 09, 2006, 04:13:25 AM »

Wow, the last couple of days I've logged in to find no one playing.  I ran into Soulchilde and Dark Rcher the other night, but Soul had to leave and XBL decided to kick me off for a bit  :cry:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #634 on: August 09, 2006, 04:27:17 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Wow, the last couple of days I've logged in to find no one playing.  I ran into Soulchilde and Dark Rcher the other night, but Soul had to leave and XBL decided to kick me off for a bit  :cry:

I've been pretty taxed with a few site projects.  Trying to get some stuff moving for our redesign, as well as the forum change has kept me from houndin'.   Well, that and the review for the game that'll go up shortly. slywink

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 09, 2006, 07:32:44 AM »

Hey all, I have been logging on random hours. My schedule is crazy!! Especially with school starting in a couple of weeks and training starting later this week. (I am an RA)  Hopefully I will get some breaks which will equal minimal play time but atleast it is play time!!!

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 09, 2006, 08:12:35 AM »

Yeah for insane amounts of pain from toothache(s).  They gave me vicadin.  It is supposed to help me sleep.  So far... not so much sleeping going on.

So I may be in and out of game.  Much like Papasmurff the next couple of weeks are going to be very busy for me.  Including the wonderful prospect of oral surgery at some point.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #637 on: August 09, 2006, 09:31:08 AM »

Yet another problem with the 20 man limit.  Eventually, there are other things to do besides play online.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 09, 2006, 10:45:57 AM »

Yeah I was on loast night and Doopri showed up, but I had to soon log.  My Desire for the game is still there.

-edit  I need to add that i re-installed BG2 and expansion and I am having fun with that again. I just got Daystar for my paladin and he has become a mighty smiter of EVIL!!!!!

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 09, 2006, 11:00:18 AM »

I have been off and on.  Sadly life has been a bit hectic lately.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: