http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 08:25:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chromehounds - NOW WITH IMPRESSIONS  (Read 49979 times)
stiffler
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #560 on: July 29, 2006, 05:14:48 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Ok, I'm joined into the group, but I had to jet to work.  I'll be learning how to play when I join the multi, so bear with me.

Glad you got on, Ron.  I have no idea what was going on with the voice earlier.  I was able to talk to the squad but even my voice messages had nothing.  Weird.  At least we got you in.  Too bad you had to jet, I was going to give you a cool million to play with!  Maybe tonight if we see you.  It will be strange to see you as a lowly recruit, though!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #561 on: July 29, 2006, 05:18:40 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Ok, I'm joined into the group, but I had to jet to work.  I'll be learning how to play when I join the multi, so bear with me.

Glad you got on, Ron.  I have no idea what was going on with the voice earlier.  I was able to talk to the squad but even my voice messages had nothing.  Weird.  At least we got you in.  Too bad you had to jet, I was going to give you a cool million to play with!  Maybe tonight if we see you.  It will be strange to see you as a lowly recruit, though!

Hehhehe.  I wish, but I'll be at work until 5:00am.  Tomorrow is an expensive day for me - I'm replacing my 20 year old AC unit with a bright shiny new Trane AC unit.  I think I'll find time at night to play though. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #562 on: July 29, 2006, 05:24:45 AM »

Hehhehe.  I wish, but I'll be at work until 5:00am.  Tomorrow is an expensive day for me - I'm replacing my 20 year old AC unit with a bright shiny new Trane AC unit.  I think I'll find time at night to play though. smile

I mean today.  I'm on the east coast and it's past 1 AM here already.  So hopefully we will see you on Saturday.

Enjoy the new AC.  It's probably the only thing I value more than my internet access.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #563 on: July 29, 2006, 05:35:34 AM »

Well, let me put it in perspective.  With the current AC, we are strugging to keep the house 85 degrees and the elec bill is over 400 bucks during the summer months.   This new system should cut that in half or better and I have it in writing that when it is 120 degrees outside it'll keep the house at 72 degrees at half  load capacity.  That alone makes it worth it.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 29, 2006, 07:38:05 AM »

Nice savings there!  Hope it works out for you.
Also hoping to get some chromehounds time in tonight with ya.  If I'm on when you get get in, I have some money to give you so you can stock up on some parts.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: July 29, 2006, 07:51:05 AM »

Finally, the sniper rounds seem a bit weak to me.  When combined with the agonizingly slow refresh rate.  They are no doubt nice if parked on a hill with all the time in the world, but I've not had much success with them.  It seems if you are looking for that role artillery would be a better investment.  Maybe I'm just using the wrong rounds.  I hated the sniper missions in the single-player mode.

Sniper rounds should be weak, you're supposed to load up with 2-3 of them firing at a time.  They're also pinpoint accurate at very long range, can you imagine how the game would devolve into a counter-strikeish sniper war if they were better?

That said, they still have their uses.  In particular, you can use sniper weapons for various tasks in support of your teammates.  If you're fighting fast movers, shoot the base which usually has low durability, then pop their generator to slow them down even more.

If you're fighting heavier guys, target their weapons and assists.  Someone have a missile counter that's defeating a teammate's missiles?  One volley should take it out.  Artillery beating up your teammates?  Blow up those heavy guns and make that behemoth useless.  Enemy have a commander?  Take out his NA attachment, which always is on top and not easily hidden behind hills.  Is it a night mission?  Pick off the enemy night and thermal vision parts.  Short on time and the last enemy running?  Deal that final blow on him since he should be weakened from the battle.

So, don't think if yourself as a kill shooter when you're playing sniper, work to support your teammates with precision fire.  Your weapons might not do so much damage to the enemy cockpit, but they can pick apart a hound piece by piece.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #566 on: July 29, 2006, 08:01:03 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Finally, the sniper rounds seem a bit weak to me.  When combined with the agonizingly slow refresh rate.  They are no doubt nice if parked on a hill with all the time in the world, but I've not had much success with them.  It seems if you are looking for that role artillery would be a better investment.  Maybe I'm just using the wrong rounds.  I hated the sniper missions in the single-player mode.

Sniper rounds should be weak, you're supposed to load up with 2-3 of them firing at a time.  They're also pinpoint accurate at very long range, can you imagine how the game would devolve into a counter-strikeish sniper war if they were better?

That said, they still have their uses.  In particular, you can use sniper weapons for various tasks in support of your teammates.  If you're fighting fast movers, shoot the base which usually has low durability, then pop their generator to slow them down even more.

If you're fighting heavier guys, target their weapons and assists.  Someone have a missile counter that's defeating a teammate's missiles?  One volley should take it out.  Artillery beating up your teammates?  Blow up those heavy guns and make that behemoth useless.  Enemy have a commander?  Take out his NA attachment, which always is on top and not easily hidden behind hills.  Is it a night mission?  Pick off the enemy night and thermal vision parts.  Short on time and the last enemy running?  Deal that final blow on him since he should be weakened from the battle.

So, don't think if yourself as a kill shooter when you're playing sniper, work to support your teammates with precision fire.  Your weapons might not do so much damage to the enemy cockpit, but they can pick apart a hound piece by piece.

This is EXACTLY why I picked a sniper for my first Hound. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #567 on: July 29, 2006, 01:09:33 PM »

Quote from: "Jarrodhk"
Nice savings there!  Hope it works out for you.
Also hoping to get some chromehounds time in tonight with ya.  If I'm on when you get get in, I have some money to give you so you can stock up on some parts.

Same here. I'm nearly at $10 million, and if Jarrod's right about what happened yesterday (about Tarakia taking his $10 million and running with it biggrin ), I'm gonna keep it to pass out if anyone needs it.

I heard of an interesting stragety against PCs - flares. Lots of flares. See, the whole theory is that you let yourself get spotted by a bunch of PCs, then get in close and fire off like 8 flares (fire them behind you or something). That'll blind anyone near you (even in daylight), and definitely force them to turn off Night Vision (if they're playing at night), giving everybody farther away a bunch of free shots.

No clue if it'll actually work, but it sounded cool at least.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 30, 2006, 01:16:51 PM »

That was werid, I gave $10M right before him and it gave me credit.  I just don't think the game likes Jarrod.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 31, 2006, 10:23:48 AM »

BY the way, you guys have heard that people are complaining about the game locking up their systems and some even having them rendered not playable by Chromehounds, right?  Hasn't happened to me at all (I do normally get lockups in GRAW from time to time, though).  Anyone running into this?  As much as we as a colelctive play this game, I would think someone would have posted they had problems with it, but nobody has (that I can remember), so I find it interesting.

A guy at Gamers With Jobs Press Pass just had his die while playing Chromehounds.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: July 31, 2006, 10:31:31 AM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
BY the way, you guys have heard that people are complaining about the game locking up their systems and some even having them rendered not playable by Chromehounds, right?  Hasn't happened to me at all (I do normally get lockups in GRAW from time to time, though).  Anyone running into this?  As much as we as a colelctive play this game, I would think someone would have posted they had problems with it, but nobody has (that I can remember), so I find it interesting.

A guy at Gamers With Jobs Press Pass just had his die while playing Chromehounds.

Just because his system died while playing Chromehounds doesn't mean the game had anything to do with it.  My system has been having intermittent problems but it is with all games.  My first system died while playing Kameo, does that mean the game did it... not at all, it just happens to be the game I was playing at the time it conked out.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 31, 2006, 10:48:54 AM »

30+ hours, no problems other than the occasional disconnect.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 31, 2006, 11:21:39 AM »

Fiddiling with the xbox guide while in a ready room has a good chance of locking things up.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #573 on: July 31, 2006, 01:38:04 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Quote from: "DiscoJason"

Just because his system died while playing Chromehounds doesn't mean the game had anything to do with it.  My system has been having intermittent problems but it is with all games.  My first system died while playing Kameo, does that mean the game did it... not at all, it just happens to be the game I was playing at the time it conked out.

Exactly. Kameo was the start of my problems, and my first 360 ate my PGR3 disc. The game itself has nothing to do with your 360 blowing up. The console is just poorly made (apparently).

Quote from: "Jarrodhk"
Fiddiling with the xbox guide while in a ready room has a good chance of locking things up.

Agreed. While it's nice to see in advance who you're fighting, using the Guide button there definitely gives you a good chance of totally locking up the console.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 31, 2006, 02:18:40 PM »

No problems myself-  the only game I've had trouble with was King Kong.

Oh, you guys probably won't see me playing alot of Chromehounds this week-  I got some DVD/Gaming backlog I'm going to try and get to  biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #575 on: July 31, 2006, 02:53:44 PM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Oh, you guys probably won't see me playing alot of Chromehounds this week-  I got some DVD/Gaming backlog I'm going to try and get to  biggrin

Whatever. We know where you'll truly be. biggrin

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 31, 2006, 03:25:02 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Heh, right now I have 24 seasons 1 & 2, Band of Brothers, Battlestar Galactica Seasons 1 & 2.0, a few other DVD's, The Godfather PC, KotOR 2 and some Gamefly rentals that just sit there looking all lonely.  They really need to create another day in the week.....

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #577 on: July 31, 2006, 06:53:07 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Heh, right now I have 24 seasons 1 & 2, Band of Brothers, Battlestar Galactica Seasons 1 & 2.0, a few other DVD's, The Godfather PC, KotOR 2 and some Gamefly rentals that just sit there looking all lonely.  They really need to create another day in the week.....

As I said - we know where you'll truly be. See you tonight. smile

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #578 on: July 31, 2006, 11:42:25 PM »

This is the first time I've ever loaded up Chromehounds and nobody else was online.  It was so lonely.

I did donate $10 million and got my medal.  Decorated my soldier hound with medals on his armor.  Looks sharp if I do say so!  He has been very effective for me.  Ran an individual mission and made $5900.  That's a joke.

Ran a solo mission to defend a territory.  Man, it sure sucks to be alone in the middle of the desert in a slow soldier mech.  Luckily the enemy was turtling at their base (once I found the right one).  Stayed out of range of those wicked homing missiles and picked up the win!

I really like the assault rifles.  I seem to recall many of you don't care for them much, but they offer good range and nice power.  I suck with the high-angle stuff so it's the best I can do.

Hopefully some people will make their way over this evening.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #579 on: August 01, 2006, 12:22:21 AM »

I'll try to make it for a little while before work Stiffler.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #580 on: August 01, 2006, 01:31:45 AM »

All I have to say is this - I'm tired of being on the idiotic Tarakian side. Why? It's real simple - you do NOT attack Sal Kar for ANY reason whatsoever! It's pretty bluntly fucking obvious who you need to attack ALL THE TIME.

Such morons.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 01, 2006, 03:37:14 AM »

I tried out the dual heavy cannon on my commander mech this evening, and I have to say that I like it a lot.  It's been the easiest to aim of all the 'big guns' for me, probably because I have two shots to work with, and I got a couple of really pretty-looking kills with it.  Not to mention one great kill where splash damage when I bombarded their base took out their last mech and won me the mission.

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 01, 2006, 06:15:30 AM »

All who want the neumann, it is now avalible to purchase in the shop.  You no longer have to bid on it in special parts!!!

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #583 on: August 01, 2006, 07:26:11 AM »

I think everybody (finally) has one now.  Hell, I had two before I gave one away.

Is that all that is there?  I hope some of the other experimental parts make it in and there are new goodies to drool over.  I want more new parts to buy that I will never use!

This game still rocks.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #584 on: August 01, 2006, 07:32:15 AM »

I think everybody (finally) has one now.  Hell, I had two before I gave one away.

Is that all that is there?  I hope some of the other experimental parts make it in and there are new goodies to drool over.  I want more new parts to buy that I will never use!

This game still rocks.

I'm really liking some of the mech changes I've made tonight.  I was thinking about potential configurations as I drove to work.  Guess I've got it bad. slywink

Any luck convincing Tim to review the game guys?  :twisted:

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: August 01, 2006, 10:33:29 AM »

Sorry I wasn't on last night guys. I didn't have much time to play and when I first powered up, no one else was on so I played a bit of arcade stuff.  Should be on a few hours tonight.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 01, 2006, 11:48:31 AM »

After yelling at Verizon tech support last night I think I have my DSL issues resolved.  Seems have been a outtage in my area.  i was able to concect to Live this morning ansd even d/l some content.  So I should be good to go tonight

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #587 on: August 01, 2006, 01:44:58 PM »

Quote from: "papasmurff"
All who want the neumann, it is now avalible to purchase in the shop.  You no longer have to bid on it in special parts!!!

Man, now I want to defect (again) and see what the other boys have out there.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 01, 2006, 02:09:30 PM »

Quote from: "papasmurff"

Really?  I may have to log in quickly tonight to grab a couple before I go out for the evening.  It'd better still be there or.. or.... or I'll do something bad  biggrin

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 01, 2006, 02:10:43 PM »

He'd actually have to put the controller down to do that  :wink:

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 01, 2006, 02:59:04 PM »

He is just making sure he gets enough time in to give a real review of the game, not some half assed review like most sites gave it.  This game easily needs over 100 hours to correctly review.........

:lol:
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #591 on: August 01, 2006, 08:04:26 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"

He is just making sure he gets enough time in to give a real review of the game, not some half assed review like most sites gave it.  This game easily needs over 100 hours to correctly review.........

:lol:

Yes, over 100 hours...

Only one problem - I'm just shy of 70 right now, which means that I'll have to review it sooner instead of later. biggrin

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 01, 2006, 09:06:06 PM »

<looks at hours played> Hm.  That can't say 88.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 01, 2006, 09:37:05 PM »

I need to relieve a ton of stress tonight.

It's been a bad day.  Really, really bad.

I think I may have to roll out a heavy again.  Assault rifles and machine guns just don't have the stress-relieving power of turrets and missiles.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 02, 2006, 04:59:48 AM »

Well, I made a scout whose sole purpose is to scout.  It's only got a sniper rifle for some defense.  I tossed in the Neumann and it's got a speed of 350 something.....

Because I can,
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #595 on: August 02, 2006, 06:11:17 AM »

Well, I made a scout whose sole purpose is to scout.  It's only got a sniper rifle for some defense.  I tossed in the Neumann and it's got a speed of 350 something.....

I would reccomend a machine gun if anything.  One sniper rifle isn't going to be much of a defense with the slow reload time.  Unless you have one of the itty-bitty ones and then you are still going to need to do a ton of bobbing and weaving to avoid return fire while waiting to take another shot.  Ah, but I just thought that the scope on that snipe rifle will do a nice job letting you spy things far, far away.

My scout has four machine guns and a radiator and does 316.  It still has enough power to take out other scouts and survive.  I've tackled bigger prey with mixed results.  The four linked machine guns pack enough of a punch to take out ACV's and turrets relatively well and still get in and take a base or assist on a kill if needed.

I guess it depends on what we're doing with the scouts.  I'm not even sure I need the radiator to be honest.  I understand a lot of people roll without any cooling.

Or maybe I'm just trying to discourage you so I can keep the GT scout market cornered. :wink:

I have a load of fun with the scout, though.  I like my new soldier build quite a bit but still wish it were a bit faster.  I'm so used to racing around at breakneck speed.   Yet I'm just not sure I want to sacrifice much of the armament, which has worked out quite well thusfar.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 02, 2006, 02:10:51 PM »

Well, I ran my scout in the trial sortie and ended up seeing half the enemy AI die from friendly fire as I circled and dodged through the middle of the pack, but that's hardly regular field conditions.  I think some MG's are going to be in order, plus I'm looking forward to trying the Neumann in some of my Scout/Soldier hybrids.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #597 on: August 02, 2006, 02:23:52 PM »

I guess it depends on what we're doing with the scouts.  I'm not even sure I need the radiator to be honest.  I understand a lot of people roll without any cooling.

I have a load of fun with the scout, though.  I like my new soldier build quite a bit but still wish it were a bit faster.  I'm so used to racing around at breakneck speed.   Yet I'm just not sure I want to sacrifice much of the armament, which has worked out quite well thusfar.

Radiators are generally useless. They're only useful if you're going against humans using Thermal (in theory, especially at night missions, you'll be nearly invisible), and in my experience they're only needed if you're gonna be a frontline tank who's gonna get hit a lot. Then you have to worry slightly about overheating while getting pounded on.

I know all my opponents do (overheat), but that's my entire design of my Hound's weapons.

And go Treads. Tarakia has one that holds 5300 weight with a 53 speed rating on it. There's also an Experimental Tread that has like 5350 weight with a 57 speed rating. With the Newmann chip, I can hit ~165 overall speed fully loaded.

CeeKay - 3 Morj Machine Guns will take out an enemy base. It'll take a long while (and nearly use up your entire ammo), but you'll be a decent tank/turret/base buster. And not lose too much speed.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #598 on: August 02, 2006, 04:35:43 PM »

Nice, I will drop the radiator when I log back on.

I think it might have been you yourself, Destructor, that reccomended the treads for my soldier.  I slapped them on and was amazed that I not only gained speed, but have increased the load and possibly durability as well.  I need to do some more experimenting to see what chips are best suited for this build.  I don't think stability is a concern since I am just using assault rifles and rockets but that is what I concentrated on with the current setup.  I haven't put the Neumann in there to check what kind of boost I can get.

So many things to tweak.  So much fun looking for that sweet spot!

I wonder if anybody will be on today with the release of SFII.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #599 on: August 02, 2006, 04:48:45 PM »

I wonder if anybody will be on today with the release of SFII.

I will be (but it'll be very late as I close at work tonight), so we'll see if anyone will be on.

And yeah, it might've been me with the tread recommendation before. Heck - I recommend them for just about everybody. biggrin

For a true Heavy Gunner (dual cannons) you need the stability offered by a quad leg design. Everybody else can get away with the treads as far as stability goes. You also rotate a lot faster than with other wheel bases.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: