http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 04:25:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chromehounds - NOW WITH IMPRESSIONS  (Read 49989 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 27, 2006, 05:13:06 PM »

I should be on tonight after 5:30 PM EST.  Curious to see if we have any new parts in the lotto yet.  Any idea what the length is for the election to happen?
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 27, 2006, 05:47:27 PM »

One thing that I am noticing when I play is that we need to stick together more.  There have been a couple of times that the commander has sent me, the heavy gunner, out by myself to grab coms.  Sure it is nice to try and flank enemies, but we are starting to get to that point where the AI is loaded with bigger and better guns and will rip you appart if they catch you out on your own.  It is much easier when you have two or three people together working on a hound than just one.  Here is an idea.  If we are going to split up, split up into two pairs of people, (the scout and NA usually do their own thing) like a heavy and a soldier or soldier and defender.  That way the groups can work together and still be able to stategically work with the other pair to flank or assist.  Also we need to ID what we are fighting, heavy gunners/artillary need to be delt with first along with the AI and their stupid Assult rifles.  The scout and NA are good targets but in the world or what will hurt us the most, it is going to be those two groups.  Just random thoughts.  Let me know what you think!!  Oh and I will be on around 8 CST for a couple of hours

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 27, 2006, 06:00:15 PM »

Quote from: "papasmurff"
One thing that I am noticing when I play is that we need to stick together more.  There have been a couple of times that the commander has sent me, the heavy gunner, out by myself to grab coms.  Sure it is nice to try and flank enemies, but we are starting to get to that point where the AI is loaded with bigger and better guns and will rip you appart if they catch you out on your own.  It is much easier when you have two or three people together working on a hound than just one.  Here is an idea.  If we are going to split up, split up into two pairs of people, (the scout and NA usually do their own thing) like a heavy and a soldier or soldier and defender.  That way the groups can work together and still be able to stategically work with the other pair to flank or assist.  Also we need to ID what we are fighting, heavy gunners/artillary need to be delt with first along with the AI and their stupid Assult rifles.  The scout and NA are good targets but in the world or what will hurt us the most, it is going to be those two groups.  Just random thoughts.  Let me know what you think!!  Oh and I will be on around 8 CST for a couple of hours

Good idea Papasmurff kind of like having a wingman mech lol.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 27, 2006, 06:00:47 PM »

Good points, Papa Smurf.  The other thing is that we will probably need to be pickier about what classes we take out on missions (this means each player needs to make a mech for each role and learn to use them) if we want to succeed as the AI gets harder.  Also, in bringing those particular roles, we need to make sure they use them for what they are for.  I'm probably the most guilty as far as sticking to one mech.  I have only ever used my soldier mech and I should really branch out to help out when we need it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #524 on: July 27, 2006, 06:03:40 PM »

Quote from: "Jarrodhk"
I prefer to take out the enemy mechs, with dropping the base as a failsafe option.  <shrug>  I know the scouts have saved several missions that would have failed otherwise.

I'm pretty fond of my quad-machine gun/dual cannon mech at the moment.  Although if I get my hands on some of the double and triple burst firing assault rifles I've seen on the AI hounds a few times, I'll be throwing those on pronto.

Yeah, I prefer blowing things up as well. Much more fun than backstabbing the base. Now, if I could only backstab some Hounds instead... biggrin

And I'd love some of those double/triple assault rifles the AI's been using. Both Jarrod and I saw them this morning while playing, so you can't say we're imagining things. Heck - we even took a very close look at the destroyed Hound and neither of us reconized the weapon the AI had on.

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Quote from: "Harkonis"
the bomb launcher that does 1800 only drops 1 at a time, the ones that does 1300-1400 drop 4 at a time.  Big difference there slywink  The 1800 one does fire twice as fast, so I guess it may have it's uses, but for base destruction dropping 16 bombs at a shot is much better imo.

That would explain it.  I was too busy dodging fire to count how many it was dropping.  well, I guess I'll be downgrading the dispensers on that hound tonight.

The bombs just aren't good base killers IMHO. They do too little damage for their insane reload times and weight. You're better off with another Machine Gun or a Spike or two.

Quote from: "Jarrodhk"
Yeah... a partial, or assist kills stat would be awesome!  Doesn't really make much sense when you have 5 people blowing the crap out of a hound, only the very last shot counts as the kill.

Can we get some better Engrish in the process? Shots Fired does not equal kills. biggrin

Quote from: "Arkon"
I should be on tonight after 5:30 PM EST.  Curious to see if we have any new parts in the lotto yet.  Any idea what the length is for the election to happen?

The lotto cycles through once a day. Even though I've seen messages stating that new weapons have been found out of a zone, I've never seen anything change in the lotto until the next day. No clue on the election, as no war has gone longer than a day or two since launch. smile

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
Good points, Papa Smurf.  The other thing is that we will probably need to be pickier about what classes we take out on missions (this means each player needs to make a mech for each role and learn to use them) if we want to succeed as the AI gets harder.  Also, in bringing those particular roles, we need to make sure they use them for what they are for.  I'm probably the most guilty as far as sticking to one mech.  I have only ever used my soldier mech and I should really branch out to help out when we need it.

Good point. One can only have so many Scouts (unless the Scouts are teaming up to blow up the base and little else), and it's always great to have a Heavy Gunner handy (as Papa has shown off all too well). It's something we'll need to discuss later (maybe a team meeting later tonight and a bunch of Hounds assembled instead of the usual war?).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: July 27, 2006, 06:34:26 PM »

Well, I'm comfortable running a soldier, defender and a Commander.  I just started experimenting with a Sniper.   I have a scout build and a heavy gunner build, but I am terrible with Howitzers

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 27, 2006, 06:39:22 PM »

I'm debating toying with a sniper build, but, I'm best/most comfortable with the soldier. (even if the stats page thinks it's a defender)

Pikachu, I Blame you!
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 27, 2006, 06:51:23 PM »

One thing that would make it easier for us to run multiple hounds is if the little template thing you can trade with others for a particular mech build would list the parts you need.  If just one part in the build is from another faction and you don't have that part, it tells you that yo ucan't build it, but since it doesn't tell you which parts you are lacking you can't find that part and maybe get it in the lottery.  I really would like to have some of the expert players' particular mech builds for a role, but I am pretty sure everyone uses mixed parts.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #528 on: July 27, 2006, 06:53:44 PM »

I'm most comfortable as a front line Soldier (even though all the cannons are considered Defender weapons), but I'm comfortable with the NA and Scout positions. Something that keeps me somewhat close to the action.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #529 on: July 27, 2006, 07:09:54 PM »

I like my scout best, but I have a whole stable of mechs.  If I could learn to better aim the high-angle weapons I'd be thrilled.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 27, 2006, 07:16:55 PM »

I like the Tactics Commander role, although I am only so-so at it, but need a change now and again.  I really like my new defender/soldier cross I built.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #531 on: July 27, 2006, 07:17:51 PM »

The reason why the comm sent you out in a heavy base might have been that he didn't know what kind of hound you were running.  They really need some sort of quick read out that the comm can use.  Since people switch hounds so often, I find it difficult to keep track of who is using what and the lack of indicators doesn't help.

I'm thinking that they need a dedicated commander's screen.  Something like you hold down the Y button instead of just tapping it and you go into a Battlefield 2 style command screen with more options, albiet you have less awareness of things around you.  In this screen you can place waypoints for squad members and maybe do special commander things like place artilly fire orders, or even something like radar relay, where you can pinpoint an enemy hound on the player's map for a short amount of time.

Players also need a compass at the top of their screen that includes a waypoint indicator.  The compass on the sonar screen is a little too wonky to use properly.

I think we need to have everyone put their numbers on multiple areas of their hound to make identification a little easier.  When I next jump online that's what I'll be doing.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #532 on: July 27, 2006, 07:47:42 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
I think we need to have everyone put their numbers on multiple areas of their hound to make identification a little easier.  When I next jump online that's what I'll be doing.

There's a thought. Any idea where to put it so it's most visible? I guess I could plaster it on all five of my armor pieces.

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 27, 2006, 11:52:20 PM »

I dont' even have the GT logo or my number on my hound...atleast that I am aware of...

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #534 on: July 28, 2006, 12:20:07 AM »

I've got my copy on the way.  Should be very soon guys!  I'm really excited to play with all of you. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 28, 2006, 12:26:34 AM »

Geeze, it is about time!!!

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 28, 2006, 12:35:11 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I've got my copy on the way.  Should be very soon guys!  I'm really excited to play with all of you. smile

Are you joining the big squad or the l'il squad?

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 28, 2006, 12:41:30 AM »

I'm really starting to dig snipers.  I made a build with those big honkin downloadable sniper cannons and a few sniper rifles.  So much fun tagging enemy hounds 3-4 grids away, even without the satisfying kersplosions you get when using a heavy gunner.  Sniper duels are a blast, too.    

Quote from: "turtle"
I'm thinking that they need a dedicated commander's screen.

Definitely.  It's really too hard to keep track of who is running what as it is now.  Even if you could only do the "view hound" thing in the mission lobbies, it would probably be a big help.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 28, 2006, 01:24:22 AM »

We have a spot reserved for you KD in the Goonsquad.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #539 on: July 28, 2006, 03:57:04 AM »

I don't even have enough surface area on my hound to properly display my number.  It's been on there the whole time (along with some medals, the national flag, my rank and a pair of GT logos) but they don't seem to show up on my tiny chassis.  I'm not about to strap on armor and lose speed just to advertise my number.  You will know me when I scream by. Tongue

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: July 28, 2006, 04:37:09 AM »

I'll be where you guys put me.  Big squad or lil squad - I'm just lookin to play.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 28, 2006, 04:40:18 AM »

I'll be where you guys put me.  Big squad or lil squad - I'm just lookin to play.

How about up front with a big target on your back?  :wink:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #542 on: July 28, 2006, 05:25:15 AM »

Just so you all know, I've left the squad so another spot is open on the GT Team.  I don't have the money or time to buy Chromehounds right now so I'll probably buy it sometime down the line, probably when the price point drops to $40.

Sad thing is, I just found a commander build that I really liked, enormous range, two sniper cannons, and decent speed just in case I needed to run away.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: July 28, 2006, 05:27:40 AM »

Turtle, I was wondering about that, did you just rent the game??  If so your strategic mind will be missed (until you get the game)

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 28, 2006, 12:17:27 PM »

I am hoping to be on some today but am supposed to be going to a Pirates game.  It depends on the weather.  If it gets rained out then I will be on quite a bit tonight.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 28, 2006, 12:21:30 PM »

Turtle, I was wondering about that, did you just rent the game??  If so your strategic mind will be missed (until you get the game)

Yes, he had rented it.  Also, our squad went from Professional++ to just Professional when he left, so now we can all hate him for selfish reasons.  :twisted:

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: July 28, 2006, 12:24:03 PM »

Yes, he had rented it.  Also, our squad went from Professional++ to just Professional when he left, so now we can all hate him for selfish reasons.  :twisted:

At least we didn't loose any lotto slots.  As an aside I was looking at the leaderboard, and in the latest news for tarakia it stated we should have a new weapon available due to our research.  It also had a blurb that Sal Kar was diverting more funds to research to help in defense, wondering if this is a trigger for the superhound.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 28, 2006, 12:34:53 PM »

Any ideas about what this new weapon is... I won't be able to be on until this afternoon or maybe even a little this morning.

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 28, 2006, 01:39:28 PM »

umm definitely didn't know there was a DLC for this.....and wouldn't ya know there is an upgrade to my big cannon's.  Watch out soulchide, I am downloading and arming up on those!

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: July 28, 2006, 01:43:05 PM »

Any ideas about what this new weapon is... I won't be able to be on until this afternoon or maybe even a little this morning.

I just checked the regular stores and found nothing that I didn't have. There's a new fuel tank and huge cannon (single shot artie cannon with 'targeting accuracy inceased' in the experimental parts area, but nothing else.

Aw. Sorry to see you go, Turtle. I guess we really need to get somebody else into this squad and addicted to this game for a better ranking. biggrin

umm definitely didn't know there was a DLC for this.....and wouldn't ya know there is an upgrade to my big cannon's.  Watch out soulchide, I am downloading and arming up on those!

Yeah, it came out last Wednesday. The heavy arms weapon is a double barreled artie cannon. But if you have the one from Morj already, it should be better.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: July 28, 2006, 02:14:17 PM »

They're pretty hard to use and have a massive kickback.  Personally I'm hoping I finally won a Nuemann.  I put both my usual lottery bids on that-  my 9 gun hound could use the speed boost!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #551 on: July 28, 2006, 04:12:41 PM »

Personally I'm hoping I finally won a Nuemann.  I put both my usual lottery bids on that-  my 9 gun hound could use the speed boost!

I won the Nuemann last night.  My scout now scoots at a brisk 309.  SCORE!

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 28, 2006, 04:17:57 PM »

I managed to get them balanced out.  I had to use my large stability chip and rotate the guns so they fired balanced.  The rounds all landed pretty close to each other.  I like the penetration power of the upgraded cannons.  I think it will help out a lot.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #553 on: July 28, 2006, 06:27:23 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Personally I'm hoping I finally won a Nuemann.  I put both my usual lottery bids on that-  my 9 gun hound could use the speed boost!

I won the Nuemann last night.  My scout now scoots at a brisk 309.  SCORE!

Good grief that's insane. I thought that my 260ish scout with 8 weapons (4 MGs and 4 Piles) was fast.

Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: July 28, 2006, 10:26:03 PM »

Papa, which componants are you using to pull that off? My attempt using

RFZ-ML-2 legs with a RFZ-CK-A2 cockpit on top of them a RFZ-GE-A2 generator connected to the back of the cockpit, two of the MSK-HC1501/D cannons connected to the sides of the cockpit, a RFZ-ASP-1 spacer connected to the top attachment point of the generator, lying more or less flat, and a pair of RFZ-WAL-1 rocket launchers connected to the sides of it.

Is somewhat less than successful as whenever I pull the trigger, my sights elevate about ~300-500 meters and the shot scatter is absurd, we're talking multiple hound lengths in both directions (distance and direction).

For system devices, I'm using the MSK-TC1000 which is a +100 stability and the RFZ-AC-1 which is +85 stability.

Any suggestions?

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #555 on: July 29, 2006, 12:00:10 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Good grief that's insane. I thought that my 260ish scout with 8 weapons (4 MGs and 4 Piles) was fast.

Well, to be fair my scout is rather more limited.  I only have four linked machine guns and a (relatively useless against AI) smoke launcher.  I could probably go nuts while the piles but most people always bitch about how cheap they are on a scout.  The machine guns can take down a base, it just takes around 2400 rounds to do it.  Plus I can take down APV's and defend myself somewhat.  I've not bagged many hounds, but I've had a few fall victim to my four barrels of fun.

I really should take off the smoke launcher against AI since it is all but useless against their all-seeing eye.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #556 on: July 29, 2006, 12:34:32 AM »

And we just had the shortest 4 on 4 AI fight EVER. We're playing one map that has both sides seperated by water (S. Stanprope Bay), and the AI had just rolled out of their base.

We're advancing upon a bridge closest to us getting ready to cross, when I notice that some enemy shots are coming from a bunch of high explosive fuel tanks. My cannon rounds are arcing through the air (to blow up the tanks) when Jarrod goes:

"If somebody could shoot the..."

*a series of 6 fuel tanks explodes in one mother of an explosion*

MISSION COMPLETE

We win!

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #557 on: July 29, 2006, 03:20:41 AM »

Ok, I'm joined into the group, but I had to jet to work.  I'll be learning how to play when I join the multi, so bear with me.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #558 on: July 29, 2006, 04:54:59 AM »

Stiffler, try adding on a thermal vision part on to your scout.

Thermal vision can see through smoke, allowing you to create your own concealment and fire from it.

Alternatively, you can go in close, fire smoke right on top of the guy, activate thermal vision, and strafe him to death while he can't see.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #559 on: July 29, 2006, 05:12:55 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Stiffler, try adding on a thermal vision part on to your scout.

Thermal vision can see through smoke, allowing you to create your own concealment and fire from it.

Alternatively, you can go in close, fire smoke right on top of the guy, activate thermal vision, and strafe him to death while he can't see.

Thanks for the advice, Turtle.  I haven't experimented much with the assist parts like that or even the missile counter.  I think I used the night vision once at night, but I've only fought at night on one particular map so far.

The problem I have with the smoke launcher is that the AI doesn't really seem to be fooled by it.  I'm thought it would be somewhat useful to pop smoke while I am making my retreat but I haven't noticed the AI being any less accurate with a puff of smoke obscuring my escape.  I was going for the whole "squid squirting ink" thing.

I will have to look into trying to blind the enemy and then letting them have it.  If I could just get the hang of these blasted high-angle weapons.  Not that I'd be launching smoke from far away.

Finally, the sniper rounds seem a bit weak to me.  When combined with the agonizingly slow refresh rate.  They are no doubt nice if parked on a hill with all the time in the world, but I've not had much success with them.  It seems if you are looking for that role artillery would be a better investment.  Maybe I'm just using the wrong rounds.  I hated the sniper missions in the single-player mode.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: