http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 10:27:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chromehounds - NOW WITH IMPRESSIONS  (Read 50489 times)
kadnod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 21, 2006, 10:51:11 PM »

Quote from: "DonD"
I love the idea of being a scout, but the reality is..I like surviving battles more.

It seems like I should be able to scout and light towers and run away from battles, but in actual combat situations, I find that I can't get away quickly enough and end up really badly damaged and then I'm limping along until I get destroyed.  I s'pose I could try smoke and see how that goes.

I'm finding that, when I play a scout, if I run as soon as I grab something's attention, I usually end up OK.  It's all about darting in and out a zillion times.  I can generally distract AI enemies pretty easily, even if I can't destroy them.

The problem is that other humans are usually smart enough to just ignore me.  smile

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 22, 2006, 12:14:37 AM »

So apparently Morskoj won... which faction is everyone going (yes, I finished all the SP missions, rank S) smile

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 22, 2006, 12:35:46 AM »

Well, I checked and verified my NAT is open so I'm good to go.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #403 on: July 22, 2006, 12:56:17 AM »

Quote from: "Atragon"
So apparently Morskoj won... which faction is everyone going (yes, I finished all the SP missions, rank S) smile

Nicely done on the SP missions. Enjoy all the free parts.

And last I heard we were going to the Russians (Morskov), but let's make sure before you choose your side.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 22, 2006, 02:14:40 AM »

Am I IN?

Do you guys need a decoy that can run around and get killed?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #405 on: July 22, 2006, 03:09:01 AM »

I love the idea of being a scout, but the reality is..I like surviving battles more.

It seems like I should be able to scout and light towers and run away from battles, but in actual combat situations, I find that I can't get away quickly enough and end up really badly damaged and then I'm limping along until I get destroyed.  I s'pose I could try smoke and see how that goes.

I'm quite happy being the scout.  Keep going with the lumbering beast and I'll be content to zip around and grab COMBAS and maybe take on their commander.

I have smoke on my scout.  I'm not really sold on its usefulness, especially against the AI.  I found the best defense is just being able to see their ordinance coming and casually step out of the way before turning tail and running.

I gotta go log on now!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 22, 2006, 03:48:21 PM »

Which squad am I looking for to apply to again?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: July 22, 2006, 05:38:42 PM »

Well, I know that the GT Goonsquad is full up right now. Not sure if we have any others out there.

And if you're curious as to how those 'heat' seeking missiles work, make sure you read through this thread:

http://boards.sega.com/chromehounds/viewtopic.php?t=1756

Apparently they aren't heat seeking at all, as they've been tested heavily against 0 geat generating Hounds, while in the water, and next to a burning source. Didn't change a thing. They just track towards the nearest target all the time.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 22, 2006, 08:41:22 PM »

I barely had a chance to get used to that ridiculously ugly green and yellow color scheme, and now we're changing again?

Blue and White was the best scheme we've had.  I'd like to see that one again.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 22, 2006, 08:44:04 PM »

OO has a squad:  http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=35765

I know the Wanderer's have a squad and BC has a squad too.  Those aren't boards I frequent much, so you'd have to do the legwork and find the appropriate threads if you wanted to hook up with them.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: July 23, 2006, 12:45:17 AM »

I barely had a chance to get used to that ridiculously ugly green and yellow color scheme, and now we're changing again?

Blue and White was the best scheme we've had.  I'd like to see that one again.

I still say that the mutated ninja turtle green was the best. It was absolutely bluntly obvious who your friends were upon a second of looking at a target.

Yeah, we were blindly green, but I was proud to be blinding green! biggrin

http://boards.sega.com/chromehounds/viewtopic.php?t=1808 - everything you wanted to know about radiators and their ability to get rid of heat. What they do and what they don't do.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #411 on: July 23, 2006, 06:14:45 AM »

I love this game.  Great group of people playing.  I would like to do the single-player stuff, but I can't resist joining the action on Live.

Is there a way to check out your stats?  For example, you can get a medal for using the inverted chassis 50x, but is there anywhere you can see the count?  Stuff like that would be interesting to see.

I just wanted an excuse to talk about the game since I'm not actually playing it at the moment.  I think I'll check out the official forum...

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: July 23, 2006, 12:24:57 PM »

Funny cuz all I can play is the single player stuff.  I have seen you all online, it says it's joinable but when I try, nope.  Just won't work.  Have yet to find your squads, get invites, or whatever in the hell you do to get in.  Hell, I don't even know what country your squads are affiliated with and I don't have the energy to read back through 14 pages of forum.  I think I'm done with this game.  Going back to gamefly.  I just hope you all win the war and make us proud.  The fate of our country, nay, the world depends on it.

The single is okay, but boy they missed the boat there.  If they had just put a wee bit more into it, it would have been killer.  it lacks the single one thing a game needs to be compelling-drama.  Oh well, I can't complain too much about that since I knew going in it was designed to be online.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: July 23, 2006, 01:38:33 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Is there a way to check out your stats?  For example, you can get a medal for using the inverted chassis 50x, but is there anywhere you can see the count?  Stuff like that would be interesting to see.

To the best of my knowledge, no, there isn't a way to see how close you are to getting certain medals.

I have to make note of one thing about this game - the translation sucks. I've seen "Connecting to Chromehounds Sever" before, you gain "Exploit Points" to work your way up the ranks, and "Shots Fired" somehow means the number of Hounds you've killed.

Thankfully, the online play is one of the most addicting things I've played in a very long time.

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 23, 2006, 04:34:48 PM »

I'm quite happy being the scout.  Keep going with the lumbering beast and I'll be content to zip around and grab COMBAS and maybe take on their commander.

I have smoke on my scout.  I'm not really sold on its usefulness, especially against the AI.  I found the best defense is just being able to see their ordinance coming and casually step out of the way before turning tail and running.

I gotta go log on now!

I must say that Stiffler does that best job I have seen of someone acting as a Scout

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 23, 2006, 04:53:19 PM »

Quote from: "DamageInc"

I gotta go log on now!

I must say that Stiffler does that best job I have seen of someone acting as a Scout

Yea Stiffler does a great job with that scout of his saved our squad more than once when we were in deep doo doo by taking down the enemy base.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 23, 2006, 05:15:38 PM »

I started this game with doubts about whether or not I would like it.  I was right that what makes this game is the people you play with.  I really do enjoy logging in and playing with you guys and gals.  See you all online later.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 23, 2006, 05:36:28 PM »

Quote from: "pingwrx"

I gotta go log on now!

Yea Stiffler does a great job with that scout of his saved our squad more than once when we were in deep doo doo by taking down the enemy base.

I have to agree having Stiffler as a scout has saved enough sorties for us.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #418 on: July 23, 2006, 06:06:38 PM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
Quote from: "pingwrx"

I have to agree having Stiffler as a scout has saved enough sorties for us.

I have to agree that Stiffler rocks as a scout. Nothing like watching over the flaming wrecks of your side's hounds and then suddenly get yanked over to the victory screen thanks to Stiffler's antics. biggrin

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: July 23, 2006, 06:56:33 PM »

I feel the love. :oops:

Look forward to playing later tonight.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: July 23, 2006, 09:36:59 PM »

Man, I'm jealous.  The OO squad never picked up enough people to get a regular game going, so reading about all the fun stuff you guys have been up to is just killing me.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 23, 2006, 10:13:07 PM »

Well, if anyone drops out Clanwolfer will let you know.  Mikeg, have you tried sending a friend request to Arkon262?
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: July 23, 2006, 11:30:39 PM »

Yep.  He accepted cuz I see when he is on.  Still can't join though.  I played through a few more missions of SP today to get more parts.  About 40 percent through SP.  Some of those missions are ridiculously hard since for no reason they will say something like "Squad two had taken too many losses.  We are scrubbing the mission.  Mission Failed." And the damn thing just started.  I have no freakin clue what in the hell I was supposed to be doing for Squad two.  That is the most frustrating thing about the SP so far.  Lousy commander directions.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 24, 2006, 02:02:00 AM »

This FAQ saved my bacon several times on the missions:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/chromehounds_a.txt

And keep me in mind Arkon (TragicNut) if any slots open up in the squad... interestingly enough, when I do the free play and try for a ranked match it always says that it could not communicate with X-Box live, yet when I do unranked matches, it works...
?

Edit: Oh yes, the network test shows that I have Open NAT.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: July 24, 2006, 02:48:56 AM »

Thanks.  I'm trying to beat the final scout mission and it's a beast.  Run through all the APC's, lure the enemy away from the base, and !!! an elite soldier hound comes out to play.  My little scout can't go toe-to-toe with that monster and it's hard to lure him away when he bombards your base to the point you are slower than he is.  I want to scream.  Black HOUND you suck!

I'm going to try the way mentioned in the FAQ which is basically charge in and blow the base before they know what hit them.  Nothing to lose at this point!

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: July 24, 2006, 02:53:53 AM »

Direct linking never works with GameFAQs, so use this link instead:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/game/928456.html

But yes, it's very useful as the SP mode is VERY poor in telling you what to do, who you can and can't kill (WHY are the good guys and the bad guys the same color scheme again?), and other issues.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 24, 2006, 09:02:44 AM »

Thanks.  I'm trying to beat the final scout mission and it's a beast.  Run through all the APC's, lure the enemy away from the base, and !!! an elite soldier hound comes out to play.  My little scout can't go toe-to-toe with that monster and it's hard to lure him away when he bombards your base to the point you are slower than he is.  I want to scream.  Black HOUND you suck!

I'm going to try the way mentioned in the FAQ which is basically charge in and blow the base before they know what hit them.  Nothing to lose at this point!

The way I did it was to build my own 2 legger scout with machine guns and a couple anti-hound missiles.  Got to the base, shot some of the defenders, waited for the black mech to appear and took him down.

That may be because my mentality is much more soldier focussed.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 24, 2006, 09:04:04 AM »

Something that occurred to me as I woke up this morning.  A great idea for IFF in the game would be pennants on the mechs.  People could use whatever design they wanted on it, and it would stand out.

Whaddya think?

Edit: unrelated but interesting.  If you mount multiple missile counters, they DO stack together and fire together.  I'm going to have to experiment with this a bit.  Hard to do since I don't run into multiple missile AI's that often.

Also... link to a much better quality video of the unidentified weapon.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEmJcygM-V0&NR

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 24, 2006, 12:20:30 PM »

Quote from: "Jarrodhk"
Something that occurred to me as I woke up this morning.  A great idea for IFF in the game would be pennants on the mechs.  People could use whatever design they wanted on it, and it would stand out.

Whaddya think?

Edit: unrelated but interesting.  If you mount multiple missile counters, they DO stack together and fire together.  I'm going to have to experiment with this a bit.  Hard to do since I don't run into multiple missile AI's that often.

Also... link to a much better quality video of the unidentified weapon.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEmJcygM-V0&NR

I like the flag idea, but I also like the yellowish\-greenish color we was using.  

Jarrod you can activate 2-3 missle counters at the same time?   I might have to experimet with this when I get home.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: July 24, 2006, 01:54:29 PM »

I read about this the other day, but I couldn't figure out how or why this would work. It's not like you can activate more than one special at a time. Maybe it works because you have more than one of the same part or something...

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: July 24, 2006, 01:56:29 PM »

This game has spawned a 15 page thread. Too complex for me, man. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 24, 2006, 01:58:08 PM »

It may be that the special limit is Type, not number of specials.  <shrug> worth looking into at least.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 24, 2006, 02:17:17 PM »

I was able to complete this after the second attempt with the base hound. I took out most of the ACV mechs from a distance before Cerebrus comes after you and before the cutscene started. Then I just ran in and he followed me out. The assault team then blew up the base.

I have completed all the missions with the base hound but my overall ranking is at 88% for each RT type except Scout where I actually received a 95% (Haven't done Commander yet)

I hate the fact they don't give you very good instructions. Like where did it say you HAD to blow all the fuel/oil dumps? It said try to take the ACVs out with one shot using the oil tanks. It never said, "oh, and then blow all the oil tanks." If you don't, it is considered a failure in the overall scoring system. It is very frustrating, but the online is where its at.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 24, 2006, 03:57:20 PM »

I made a soldier last night with the cockpit hanging down in front of the legs and all the weapons, with shields on either side. It only has assault rifles and machine guns, but I haven't died yet while using it. That's probably dumb luck, but man, what a machine.

I heard of a build one of you GT guys has with a gun that comes out from between your legs. WE NEED PICS, MAN!

PSN ID: EduardoX
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #434 on: July 24, 2006, 06:07:28 PM »

Quote from: "Eduardo X"
I made a soldier last night with the cockpit hanging down in front of the legs and all the weapons, with shields on either side. It only has assault rifles and machine guns, but I haven't died yet while using it. That's probably dumb luck, but man, what a machine.

I heard of a build one of you GT guys has with a gun that comes out from between your legs. WE NEED PICS, MAN!

The one big issue I've seen with the 'in weird spots cockpit' Hounds is that they all tend to be very vunerable to artillery strikes as they all tend to be right near the ground. But moving it in front of the legs? I don't know if that's just plain crazy, or so stinkin' smart of an idea. Especially as missiles (the other vunerability with these designs) would head towards the generator, and odds are that's nowhere near your cockpit...

But with no armor in front of the cockpit, and odds are any human players would waste you. Assuming they realized where the cockpit was, anyway...

I'll have to log in tonight just to see it. biggrin

And I remember posting saying that I read a Hound that had the 'gun between the legs' thing. I didn't do it though. Just use a pair of spacers to get the gun positioned right between your legs and you can do it yourself.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: July 24, 2006, 06:49:13 PM »

I hate the fact they don't give you very good instructions. Like where did it say you HAD to blow all the fuel/oil dumps? It said try to take the ACVs out with one shot using the oil tanks. It never said, "oh, and then blow all the oil tanks." If you don't, it is considered a failure in the overall scoring system. It is very frustrating, but the online is where its at.

Yeah, the instructions I get are a bit vague.  Having only played online up to this point I kept trying to blow up the HQ rather than the depot beside the HQ.  I was looking for the "tactics commander" and could never find him because, unlike online, it was just a normal tank with a radar dish on top.  Stuff like that.  I'm just slogging through the single-player to see what kind of goodies I can pick up.

See you all online later tonight.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 24, 2006, 08:22:29 PM »

Anyone still looking for a squad (I know the Goonsquad is waitlisted for now), you're welcome to join the Fearless Octopi until spots open up, or until we decide to just make a co-board squad.  We still only have about 6 people, so there's plenty of room, and we could use the extra company.  Tongue

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 24, 2006, 08:47:13 PM »

News from Sega/From: http://boards.sega.com/chromehounds/viewtopic.php?t=2010&highlight=

Looks like they're making some changes after the current war... maybe war 9 will last more than a day.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: July 24, 2006, 09:42:18 PM »

That unidentied weapon in that video is actually a special encounter in the online war.

Certain zones will have these fortress hounds active and if you take a mission there you'll be fighting it.

It's said that there's one for each faction.

You also get a special achievement if you destroy it.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: July 25, 2006, 12:52:44 AM »

News from Sega/From: http://boards.sega.com/chromehounds/viewtopic.php?t=2010&highlight=

Looks like they're making some changes after the current war... maybe war 9 will last more than a day.

Just reduce spike damage against bases by like 50%, and make it so you gain crap for winning a battle 1 on 1 against the AI, and things will be fine.

Interesting post on the main forums - once the legs are destroyed on a Hound, all further damage to the legs goes straight to the cockpit. That explains why I died that one time when my destroyed legs slid down a hill.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: