http://gamingtrend.com
December 17, 2014, 11:41:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chromehounds - NOW WITH IMPRESSIONS  (Read 50945 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2006, 04:33:08 PM »

Quote from: "Clanwolfer"
Quote from: "DiscoJason"
I have a question about building the mechs.  When I was playing around last night with the builder, I saw I could mount a gun so that it would point straight up in the air.  Why the hell would I want to do that?

Indirect-fire artillery.  Not sure if it's actually feasible in the game, but I thought of it right away.  Imagine a mech modeled after the MLRS.

One nice thing is with HOUND building you can run trial sorties to test your configs... who knows you may end up just blowing yourself to bits but hey, no harm, no foul.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2006, 05:26:45 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Quote from: "Clanwolfer"
Quote from: "DiscoJason"
I have a question about building the mechs.  When I was playing around last night with the builder, I saw I could mount a gun so that it would point straight up in the air.  Why the hell would I want to do that?

Indirect-fire artillery.  Not sure if it's actually feasible in the game, but I thought of it right away.  Imagine a mech modeled after the MLRS.

One nice thing is with HOUND building you can run trial sorties to test your configs... who knows you may end up just blowing yourself to bits but hey, no harm, no foul.

LOL
Yeah, you can put guns straight up, down, and behind you.

Question though - what if you do put a gun behind you? Does your camera reverse like you think it would? I think I'll have to try that out tonight. biggrin

And if you're still on the wall, here's a very positive review (once the reviewer actually played the game online, unlike the others):
http://xbox.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=11882

As far as the wheeled base goes - I like it. Your top half doesn't turn that quick, and your overall turning isn't that good either, but you make up for it with fast accelleration and a nice top speed. Only problem is that the AI tends to hit the wheels instead of anything else, and the ones that are currently available have no real durability. Gotta figure out how to put an armor piece down there or something. Hmmm...it shouldn't be that hard with a wheel base to do that...

BTW - make sure you make a daily bet under the Experimental and Captured Parts section. I won a System Option (for the cockpit) that while using 4 system spaces, bumped my current configuration up by about 20mph. If I remember right, I saw one there this morning.

Oh dear lord...I just read this elsewhere, about how...interesting the Hound creation system can be:
Then we saw one guy. (Seriously, which of us did it?) Who made a mech with a spacer in the back, that came down and had a machine gun come up between his legs. I think we still won the match, but half the time we were too busy laughing about how... Um... "The hot stream of... lead! Yeah, Lead! That he's firing from his... big gun."

More little tidbits - yes, the rear firing (and left and right if you want) gun thing actually works. Also, when designing weapon groups, the first weapon you choose in the group is the gun camera (which is why it has a big C near it afterwards). If you destroy that gun, you destroy the gun camera for the entire group, making the weapon unzoomable.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2006, 05:37:48 PM »

Lol, that is great.  I have been thinking about this game a lot today.  For examply when you and I were building our HOUNDs Destructor, we mentioned not liking having them be real tall.  However what if you used spacers to just put your gun rather high.  You could stand on one side of a hill, and fire at the other side, if your gun was high enough, without risking return fire hitting anything but the narrow profile of your gun.  Granted it would most likely be unstable as all get out.

Also something we discorvered last night with weapon pairing.  Lets say I mount 4 guns on my HOUND, 2 Assault rifles and 2 machine guns.  I figure hey, I will balance it out with one of each on each side, but then I pair my 2 assault rifles as weapon group 1, and my machine guns as weapon group 2.  Your weapons aren't tracking to a pinpoint reticule.  Therefore if you have a wide HOUND you would end up having one gun hit and the other gun be off to the left/right, or worse yet you could miss to either side of your target.  You are better to group guns so they are in a tight cluster.

Edit:  Lol should have read the review first, he specifically mentions the high gun issue for snipers.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2006, 05:41:53 PM »

Lol, that is great.  I have been thinking about this game a lot today.  For examply when you and I were building our HOUNDs Destructor, we mentioned not liking having them be real tall.  However what if you used spacers to just put your gun rather high.  You could stand on one side of a hill, and fire at the other side, if your gun was high enough, without risking return fire hitting anything but the narrow profile of your gun.  Granted it would most likely be unstable as all get out.

Yup, that does work. It's very unstable (as your center of gravity is WAY off), but it has its uses. Imagine a Scout design, with no guns short of a sniper rifle on top. Now, your entire job isn't to fire the gun, but you instead use your insane mobility to scout out the enemy (and with the sniper zoom, you can see a long way off). Also, it'll make finding the enemy base that much easier.

As for your second blurb, I just edited my post above. Take a look.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2006, 05:47:29 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Yup, that does work. It's very unstable (as your center of gravity is WAY off), but it has its uses. Imagine a Scout design, with no guns short of a sniper rifle on top. Now, your entire job isn't to fire the gun, but you instead use your insane mobility to scout out the enemy (and with the sniper zoom, you can see a long way off). Also, it'll make finding the enemy base that much easier.

As for your second blurb, I just edited my post above. Take a look.

It may seem like a minor thing to most, but damn I love that center of gravity matters.  While you can really get creative, you still have to be logical about it.  It reminds me of a discussion of Spore, where basically there is no reprucussion to making your creature is illogical as you wanted.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2006, 06:04:34 PM »

It may seem like a minor thing to most, but damn I love that center of gravity matters.  While you can really get creative, you still have to be logical about it.  It reminds me of a discussion of Spore, where basically there is no reprucussion to making your creature is illogical as you wanted.

Very good point. While the butt creature is funny to look at, there's a reason why things that just don't work in Nature are killed off. biggrin

Here's another random Hound design, once again from somewhere else:
I've played numerous 1 on 1 battles with people with most or all of their guns on backwards and then lots of armor around the cockpit. I also made a sniper like this about 3 days after it was released (in Japan before anyone says anything) and tried it out, and the cockpit damage from a full missile volley was tiny. But such a mech is very hard to control and probably wouldn't work very well in multiplayer.

While it almost sounds like cheating, keep in mind that you're always facing backwards to fire. Getting into position to shoot can't be the easiest thing.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2006, 06:14:53 PM »

Very good point. While the butt creature is funny to look at, there's a reason why things that just don't work in Nature are killed off. biggrin

Here's another random Hound design, once again from somewhere else:
I've played numerous 1 on 1 battles with people with most or all of their guns on backwards and then lots of armor around the cockpit. I also made a sniper like this about 3 days after it was released (in Japan before anyone says anything) and tried it out, and the cockpit damage from a full missile volley was tiny. But such a mech is very hard to control and probably wouldn't work very well in multiplayer.

While it almost sounds like cheating, keep in mind that you're always facing backwards to fire. Getting into position to shoot can't be the easiest thing.

Yeah I imagine positioning would be a pain.  However having one weapon facing behind your, or even 2 or 3 would work well for say a defender/heavy gunner since moving/turning is so slow, it would allow you to switch to scope on your rear firing weapon set and hit any incoming bogies from the flank without having to turn your HOUND.  Also, edit to add, I would think thank bomb dispensers and mine dispensers would benefit alot from rear facing mounting.  As a scout you go in, get a bogey on your tail, turn to run and drop bombs behind you or mines behind you.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2006, 07:41:36 PM »

How do anti-missile systems work?  Do they autofire when they sense an inbound missile or inbound groups of missiles, or do you, as the pilot, get some type of indicator that you have missiles incoming, and then you hit a face button or something to activate the anti-missile system?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2006, 07:44:53 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
How do anti-missile systems work?  Do they autofire when they sense an inbound missile or inbound groups of missiles, or do you, as the pilot, get some type of indicator that you have missiles incoming, and then you hit a face button or something to activate the anti-missile system?

I ahev not seen anti missle systems yet.  Are they in the game?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2006, 07:47:56 PM »

Quote from: "denoginizer"

Well, on the side the GT Goonsquad is on, you can buy them under whatever the accessories (like Thermal Imaging and the all-but useless hover jets) are on.

I've never tried out the item, but I'm guessing it's an automatic use item. It might be a click to use though (and all accessories are used via the left bumper/trigger).

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2006, 11:56:25 PM »

Well, on the side the GT Goonsquad is on, you can buy them under whatever the accessories (like Thermal Imaging and the all-but useless hover jets) are on.

I've never tried out the item, but I'm guessing it's an automatic use item. It might be a click to use though (and all accessories are used via the left bumper/trigger).

I am pretty sure you have to actively use the missle system when you see misles incoming, haven't tried it yet tho.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2006, 12:12:13 AM »

Well, I picked this up and will be on around 9pm EST. Gotta go get some food (and beer. what's mechs without beer?  :wink:  ) and then I'm gonna load it up.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2006, 12:45:20 AM »

I just watched the video review on Gametrailers...

If I end up picking this up on Friday to play with you guys over the weekend, how far behind the curve will I be?

Will I be able to contribue right away, or is there some type of "build up your mech by playing 30 missions and aquiring good gear before you are effective" type deal with this game?

Also, and I apologize if someone mentioned this already, if say only 2 or 3 of us are online at once, can we compete against other teams, or will we get smoked due to them having maybe 6 guys to our 2-3?  I don't quite get how that works.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2006, 01:14:19 AM »

Will I be able to contribue right away, or is there some type of "build up your mech by playing 50 missions and aquiring good gear before you are effective" type deal with this game?

Also, and I apologize if someone mentioned this already, if say only 2 or 3 of us are online at once, can we compete against other teams, or will we get smoked due to them having maybe 6 guys to our 2-3?  I don't quite get how that works.

You'll want to play a bit of the single player game, just to understand the basics and whatnot. You get enough cash (assuming our homeland isn't busted for whatever reason) to get a nice Hound built. You just need to understand the game itself.

And yes, the game supports up to 6 on 6 matches, made entirely out of squadmates. If you're the only person on (or just wish to go solo), you'll play against just one other person.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2006, 04:57:55 AM »

I found it pretty easy just to dive into multiplayer.  I'm gonna play around with the single player some but I'm pretty glad I picked this up.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2006, 05:08:15 AM »

Haven't had a chance to mess with the multiplayer myself yet, but from watching/listening to moriarty it sounds like much fun.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2006, 08:02:51 AM »

Despite what others say, I would actually recommend that you go through the single player portion to get those extra parts.  Sure, the multiplayer parts are better than the SP ones, but they take time to get, and more parts means more options in building your hound.

I'm still using the default torso piece in some builds to save weight.

Also, if you want some experience in normal fighting without the hassle of setting of NW missions, just on to Free Battle and join some Team Deathmatch servers.  There's no base attacking, so you simply rush to the middle and duke it out until you die, then respawn.  It's just fun, and if you really want to test out a new build, it's a let better than the test range.

The last game of the night for me was an amazing 4 on 4 night time team deathmatch on one of the harbor maps.  The enemy team had a lot of long ranged units that hurt us bad as we closed, we'd be pressing forward and seeing little flashes of light and the sniper rounds coming at us while we'd launch salvoes of missiles and rockets at them.  We had to cross a serious of bridges to reach them and their lone soldier hound blew up one of the bridges as I crossed, killing me in the process, my other teammates made it accross and move forward. We finally closed in and since the majority of their weaponry was focused on long range, we easily destroyed them at close range.

I had thermal vision on and it was a very interesting effect too.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2006, 10:46:48 AM »

I am glad I picked this up.  Awesome mp game.  I only went thru the iinitial sp missions, but I expect to play throught them some to pick up the extra parts.

More thoughts later when I get to work

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
MerianMoriarty
Gaming Trend Reader

You will be baked, and then there will be cake.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2006, 11:24:27 AM »

after logging about 17 hours offline and 7 more on (including about 4 in the garage), i'd have to say this is the best mech game i've seen in a long time.

the controls are great (although adjusting to having your switch-weapon button on the bumper can be interesting), and it's got a nice, realistic feel to the combat.  i'm amazed at just how much impact things have -- the placement of your guns, how many guns are on a tic, what kind of ammo you're packing, what kind of mobility set you have, etc.  high-explosive weapons have rangefinders and require a good judge of distance, firing weapons beyond their normal range alters their effectiveness and their arc, different weapons have different levels of effectiveness against buildings and vehicles -- it's great.  also, it's refreshing to see a tactics class that can give such a great advantage.  it's a delightfully robust system -- you need to know your squad's capabilities to give good orders, and not having the tactics radar can be crippling.

the garage is great; a fairly easy-to-use system, and it allows for good customization.  you can even put layers of decals on armor plates, cockpits, or legs (my current designs all have the Goonsquad emblem, my personal emblem, and the Capital Medal on them). the decal colors are limited, unfortunately (i wish there was a darker purple...), but the camo colors can be adjusted with sliders (my personal camo scheme is based around a very dark purplish-indigo).

i'm having a blast, even though i'm having slight problems with the difference between AI and fairly experienced player opponents (also, a long-range equipped hound is not set up to fight medium-close, and it shows...so i have to play it a little more cautious than i might in another mech game).

a few little problems -- in MP, there are some maps with noticeable graphics jitter (moments when the screen doesn't refresh fast enough while you're turning) that can be headache-inducing; the squad search engine in MP is a pain, as is the lack of a squad-invite option; the difference in difficulty between fighting AI and fighting experienced online players is huge; individual missions in MP are boring as hell, monotonous, and frustrating.

my best-suited RT types: Sniper, Commander, Heavy Gunner. (i've also got a soldier hound designed, for medium-range engagements, but it's loaded up with anti-hound cannons instead of normal guns.)

my overall impression of the game: "yeah, that mech's nice.  can i get it with more howitzers, or a sniping cannon?"

i'm really looking forward to being able to play more, and becoming more skilled with tactics command.

XBox Live Gamertag: M Moriarty

Currently Playing:
<360> eternal sonata/warriors orochi/PORTAL!/that-game-with-that-dude-in-the-spacesuit-and-all-those-alien-guys3
<XBox> ...
<PS2> ffxii (working on Yiazmat) (on indefinite hold)
<PSP> dead head
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 14, 2006, 12:25:29 PM »

Some interesting info I found

Most all the following info has come from an Microsoft X360 Launch Team member (daStahl) who posts at the Xbox.com Chromehounds forum

Chromehound FAQ

Updated 7/6:

What im interested to know is how effective is the pike weapon? I bet it would require a speedy hound, so that you actually stand a chance in getting close enough to use it.

I was trying to lone wolf it 1 vs 4 against a vet Japanese squad and launched in a super duper heavy mech.... and sure enough... along comes a tiny speedy hoverhound with 4 pikes linked.... 2 shots... and I was dead.

Luckily pikes have a long recharge time... but yes.. they are effective against hounds if you are faster than your opponent.

What's the visual range on a flare? If my buddy launches a flare into the air on the other side of the map, will I be able to see it (assuming there's nothing in the way)?

You can see lighting effects across the length of most maps... so if you launch a flare ... someone should be able to see it a far way off... especially on a night map.

The amount of light it provides however is limited to a short radius.

The lighting effects in this game are very well done... and realistic down to muzzle flashes and smoke trails.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Updated 6/28: Weapon firing from deStahl

A weapon group is actually trigger sensitive and in top to bottom sequence... so if you just tap the trigger only the top weapon in the list will fire (although its not as easy as it sounds... these guns want to fire!)... so it is possible for example if you have 3 sniper cannons in the same group to tap-tap-hold to get them all firing in a timed delay. (holding down fires all in sequence to their reload times).

Some weapons are also preset fire duration (some machine guns and some rockets) so that you tap the weapon once... and it will empty the clip/rack... with these types of weapons you can actually assign them to different weapon groups and go Fire - Switch Group - Fire - Switch Group - Fire and get a horrific amount of firepower... the closest thing to an Alphastrike this game has.

But again... weapons are hefty.. everything is hefty... you'll wish you could add more guns... but you'll be straining under the weight... You just have to find the right balance between firepower and pod weight. For example is 4 lightweight pods of machine guns more effective than that 1 comparable-weight cannon? Or is that one Heavy Cannon worth its weight vs 3 smaller cannons?

You'll be comparing heat of impact / ammo load / weight stats for all these things...

Weapons definitely have velocity and will trail off in speed and eventually fall to the ground after max range.

Updated 6/26:

Lets say a Sniper shoots an enemy HOUND in the leg. Will the Scout's movement be restricted? Would hitting a HOUND's weapon disable it?

Damage is location specific. When you pull up the map HUD, to the left is the various key systems and how much damage they've sustained. As these key systems (areas) take damage, it will impact the performance of your hound based on the system. (Damaging legs hurts mobility, damaging your Generator effect power etc)

Sometimes getting hit will start a fire that will continue to damage the system until the fire goes out.

Your hound will continue to function at base-line stats when everything is destroyed, however if your cockpit hits 0 - you're dead.

You can in fact save multiple hounds you've built and can uniquely name them all - this is considered Assembly Data. You can also create and save paint schemes, custom emblems, and individual paint jobs.

I'm not sure what happens if you sell parts that are part of a saved hound configuration - but I'm going to guess that it alerts you that a part is missing.

When you join a faction, you get to select a "default" hound to add to your garage, but even still during pre-mission briefing, you can go into the garage and build something new or select one of your pre-builts and do a final tweak... or just run with the hound you did last mission.

There is a countdown for multiplayer missions - so you don't get people stuck in garage mode holding up the show.

Also, there *are* a few homing weapons - missiles - but there are missile counters to foil them. Counters are a passive device that you turn on and it will automatically launch flares into the sky when it detects an imminent missile inbound. The missile counters range in amount of uses to the damage prevention it offers.

Where you mount the flares makes a difference too... if you put it too low - it may actually draw missiles to you. The visual effects for flares/ missile counters are some of the coolest in the game.

All heavy weapons use a High-Angle scope - a type of scope that shows the estimate range to impact shown as a distance at the bottom of the rangefinder. Most heavy weapons have high splash damage, but precision with heavy guns is difficult at long ranges (not to mention the time it takes for munitions to land on target).

With that said, I foresee that *good* heavy gunners will become familiar with maps and know exactly where to fire from and the exact distance to the base from that point. It will all come with experience.

It may also be possible to get a grid coordinate on the map and use the map squares to estimate a firing distance. Heavy Gunning is very challenging... but absolutely devastating. The firepower is amazing.

What are the differences between incendiary and high explosive, what situations would be best for each one. Also what's the deal with the "heat of impact" stat on ammo?

Think of Incendiary munitions as Damage over Time ... where you can drop it on a base and it will burn for a while... it can also cause havok in a close up battle where you are always walking over fire and taking damage (not to mention mucking up thermo vision sensors)

Heat of Impact refers to the relationship between energy and heat... it is why a bullet melts when it hits a wall... So the heat of impact stat shows not only the amount of heat transferred on contact (Armor has heat ratings) as well as the amount of force applied when it hits which can really cause you to jolt or rotate your torso...

In some of the videos I've seen players drop these little balls on the ground in front of their hound but they don't like they did anything, he just selected the weapon, seemed to be just 1 not a cluster, fired it and it dropped these 3 cannonball-looking things on the ground.

Those were bombs - they take about 15 seconds to detonate so you can get to safe distance... the splash damage on them is nasty. Bomb dispensers have a short range (about 50 vs. a sniper cannon with 1600)... and roll a little when they hit the ground. Some dispensers toss out up to 4 bombs at a time. get 4 pods of those links and your spitting out 16 bombs at a time... KABOOOM.

Can you switch to another weapon group/cluster while one is reloading?

Yes - and good pilots will program their weapon groups accordingly.

It was mentioned in another thread that going into a lake or w/e is a good way to dissipate your heat signature. Is there going to be lakes deep enough to submerge in? If so, can you still see? Via feeds from other mechs or something? Cause that would friggin rule to pop out of a lake and ambush someone.

Some water is deep enough to completely submerge on Harbor maps. You can move underwater, but not fire weapons. Damage is modified when you are underwater.

Can a Hound get knocked over by a strong enough impact? If so, can it get back up on its own?

Your torso is greatly impacted by fire - even a simple auto-rifle can jar your cockpit enough to muck up your aim. Heavy weapons can completely disorient your torso and spin it around or up force your aim into the air. Your mobility base stays oriented to the ground at all times.

In a movie I saw recently, the player switched to a weapon set and got a NO FEED bluescreen for their targeting camera, and in another movie I saw a targeting screen flicker. Is it possible to disable a weapon's fire control system/camera without destroying it?

As a weapon takes damage - it will begin to flicker - when you get the blue screen - the weapon has been completely distroyed or disabled.

Do bright light sources interfere with nightvision/low-light?

Absolutely. Painfully so.

I want to be a scout but I'm scared that they may not be greatly balanced and it might be a kind of suicide wish to be a scout, plz if you know anything thats advantageous to be a scout or how exactly a scout can "paint" a target for a heavy gunner and how effective that is let me know.

Scouts usually mean sniper weapons and fast chassis. In a deathmatch, I'm not sure a Scout is going to get the most kills... however in a squad objective map, they can be as vital as having someone with the sniper rifle in Halo.

Quickly capturing COMBAS can also provide a huge advantage for a good squad as they can then instantly see a large portion of the map and all the enemy movements.

I think there is a role for everyone in this game and while some roles might suck at deathmatch, they will all have their uses in squad combat. Keep in mind that it is less about RTs (role types) and more about what weapons/chassis you like to roll in.

I would like to know what you can win in those loterys

The lottery allows you to select between experimental and captured parts. Each part has a lottery price and you select the part you are interested in. It kicks off a lottery, and sets a time for it to resolve. At the end of that time - it randomly selects a ticket from all the people that wanted the part and they "win" the part (and the fee is deducted from their account). The wait times for lotteries can be up to 18 hours and you can only have 1 active bid at a time.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 14, 2006, 12:31:51 PM »

Also, found this FAQ/Guide for hound building!!

Updated 7/7:

Building your hound:

First, think about what kind of hound you want to build. Sure, there are lots of possibilities and everyone is going to experiment, but some things go along better with others due to how the game works. For example creating a HG on a beginner hover base will probably perform suboptimal. If you think that's what you want though, more power to you, and I hope you succeed. After all, it is all about having fun (though sometimes people seem to forget about that).

The Mobility base:

Depending on the role you want to fill, certain bases fit that role better than others. Also the judgment on advantages and disadvantages are simply based on my opinion, there are too many different bases to go into details here, so it possible that certain models don't match the description here.

Hover: fast, good to medium turning and rotation rate. Can go over the water without slowing down. You will most likely use this for scouts and fast attack hounds or supporters.

Wheels: second fastest, also good turning rates, rotation rates most of the time better, thus making it more useful in close combat situations. Probably useable for fast attackers and medium soldiers.

Bipedal. Third fastest, good turning and rotation rate, making it ideal for close combat. Your standard soldier base.

Inverse biped/joints: slower than normal bipeds (especially in reverse), slower turning and rotation rate, but far better recoil reduction and stability, making this base a good choice to put those high recoil sniper rifles on.

Tank: second slowest, but good rotation rate, decent recoil and stability. Also good load capacity and armor/hp, making this well suited for defenders.

Multi legged: slowest, low rotation and turning rate, good recoil and stability highest load capacity. Good for a HG or anything else that is supposed to carry a lot.

Right now, most folks play using heavily armored hounds with loads of weapons, unless they are in a decent squad already. So to begin with, it might be a good choice to look for a biped or tracked design.

Next, choose your cockpit, preferably something with 50+ in armor (KE, CE depends) and at least 4000+ durability. Depending on your nations, those numbers might vary, but this should set you up with one of the heavier cockpits. If they have double side mounting points that's okay, but basically you don't need them imho. The cockpit also affects rotation speed.

Next the system components. Grab the best you can get. Especially for the weapons component this might mean a tradeoff. For example, there are components, which will have a high targeting stability but will only let you use 2-3 weapons in a group. If you already know that you are probably, going to use only a few high power weapons this module might be better for you than the 4 weapons, low stability component.

Generator: I generally start with the smallest full generator available (not one of the backup gens) and go from there, you always change it again later on. If you want to fit an NA maker or lots of heavy weapons onto your hound you'll have to pick a bigger one though.

The fun part: weapons & supporting devices.

Don’t put too many guns on your hound! I know it's tempting, but most of the time people put way to many guns on their hounds. First, there is now way to switch through your weapon groups backwards, so the more guns/gungroups you have, the more time it takes to get to the right one. Also, you might end up with the wrong weapon for the job.
Generally, I use a long-range weapon and a short to medium range weapon on my hounds. Sometimes even just short to medium range.

Long-range weapons are useful for taking out stationary turrets and those pesky NPC controlled enemy units. Unless they are heavy weapons, you will probably use them to soften up your enemy, not for the kill. Smart players will also try to change the range the fight is at once they realize they are at a disadvantage. Also, the built in zoom of the long-range weapons make close combat with them a bit harder.

Eventually most fights will turn into medium to short range combat. Try to get an advantage though turning and rotation rate here, it is actually possible to outturn some bases.

I prefer machine guns for close range, as you can fire a steady stream of projectiles at your enemy; making misses not count that much. The anti hound rockets are too slow for my taste thought they do good damage. Shotguns are nice as well. Never used the grenade launcher due to its really short range.

For long-range fire, I tend to go to extremes and pack heavy cannon on my defender. But that's just because I like them. Normal cannons do good damage as well, as do snipers rifles and cannons. Didn’t use the assault rifles much, as the weight/damage ratio didn't seem right and they only fire semi-auto.

If you do find your favorite weapon stick to it and learn to use it well. A decent weapon that you can use well and like will probably serve you better than the latest uber weapon that you just can't seem to handle.

I already posted about weapon placement and recoil, so read the previous post. I also tend to put all guncam positions at the same side of the cockpit if I spread the weapons evenly to both sides of the cockpit. If you cluster the weapons on one side, choose the guncam to your liking, maybe compensating for the fact that you tend to aim too high or too low.

Add-ons:

As mentioned before, don't get into a night map without the necessary vision add on.

If you have weight left on your hound and don't need the speed, invest in the extra armor plating. It is a great way to protect your weapons, cockpit and generator. With some tinkering, it's even possible to get it in front of the cockpit. Faced a Tarakian pilot yesterday who managed to cover almost all of his cockpit with extra armor, really hard to kill.

Fighting:

Well, so you think you are a hotshot ace pilot and that you can take it all? Well, maybe, more probably you aren't, so here are a few points.

Capture COMBAS:

First, they can also net you a victory if the time runs out and you own more COMBAS than your enemy. With the NPC, you can even sit through the whole 15 min, or what's left thereof after capturing enough COMBAS, without attacking and win. Sometimes the NPC will take the initiative though. There is even an Xbox live reward for winning without attacking I think.

They can also tell you where your enemy is, so check the map regularly. Often enough the enemy will also capture the COMBAS near your base, so it can also warn you of an attack.

Always check your surroundings.

Not just for enemies, but also how the terrain looks like. With lots of high power long-range weapons in the game, you can be hit without even knowing that the enemy was there. So don't make easier on him by always walking out in plain view. Use the terrain for cover. Also every hound leaves trails on the ground (hmmm, except maybe a hover... didn't check that). So with a little bit of thinking you can get a clue as to where your enemy was and where he went.

Check your radar.

The NPC's normally don't move much unless they are attacked or start attacking you. So anything really moving is probably a dangerous enemy player.

Use your cam perspectives wisely.

The guncam has a different point of view than the 3rd person view. Sometimes it is sufficient to stick only your guns out from behind cover to shoot the enemy. Loosing a gun is less painful than dying (cockpit gone).

This brings us to the next point: aim for the cockpit!

Unlike MechWarrior, shooting the base will only slow the enemy hound down, as well as destroying the generator. They will still be operational/able to shoot back. Destroying the cockpit is the only way to really destroy a hound efficiently.

Watch out for the NPC hounds and gun placement.

While being a nuisance by themselves, they DO damage you, putting you at a disadvantage against your opponent. Also, they give away your position because of their gunfire. However, try to use your allied NPC to soften up the enemy by luring him into a position where your NPC can fire at him. Also, watch out for enemy NPC hounds when playing 1vs1 versus the computer. They are capable of destroying you.

Dying:

It will happen. Get used to it. Especially in a 1vs1, it might simply be a matter of who sees whom first. Also, some load-outs are better against certain types of hounds than others are. Sometimes you will simply die because you chose the wrong load-out. There is no "perfect" hound. Try to learn from it and develop different strategies for differently armed opponents.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Building a hound:

Next you should probably check out your garage which also leads you to your arms dealer. Don't worry about the prices, a regular 1 player neroimus mission on the lowest ranking (recruit) against the computer will net you anywhere from 130.000 to 170.000 credits. So the prices aren't that bad.

Don't spend all your money though, as you will need money after the mission to repair and resupply (ammo, fuel).

I recommend that you try to pick up a decent cockpit, mobility base and maybe some more weapons. This is for a defender/soldier kind of hound that you'll probably be using first until you find the role that suits you, because the roles in the war play quite different from what they were like in sp.

Mobility base:

Id suggest you get either a good inverse biped or a tracked chassis. Again, look for a good combination of armor, weight capacity (how much it can carry) and probably speed if you don't want to crawl. Personally I feel like those 2 bases offer a good combination of these traits.

Most important for close combat however is the turning rate of your base and the rate of how fast you are able to turn your cockpit. This depends on your base, your cockpit and your system components. So make sure you check these as well.

Firing stability and recoil reduction is rather secondary in my opinion, unless you plan on making a heavy gunner for example.

Cockpit:

You will want a fighting cockpit for 1 player mission. As far as I managed to understand the system, armor is subtracted from the damage added and the parts durability (don't know the exact English description, sorry) are the hit points of the part. If the cockpit is gone, so are you. Anything else is secondary.

For fighting purpose you'll want a cockpit with at least 40 kinetic armor, decent CE armor (chemical, used by some ammo, explained later), and hit points in at least the higher 3000s. More is obviously better, but also comes at a price: weight.

For starters you won't need a cockpit with double side mounting points, but get whatever you feel comfortable with.

Most of the time weight will be the limiting factor of your hound, even before power consumption. The weight of your hound also directly influences its speed. The less you carry, the faster you can go.

System Components:

These are basically electronic boosters to the base stats of your hound. They increase handling, speed, turning rate, target stability and so on.

Each component requires a certain amount of slots that your cockpit provides (number of slots vary depending on the cockpit, so far I've seen 8 and 9 slots). Choose the best components you have available while keeping an eye on the slot limit.

Generator:

I generally start out with the smallest one possible, unless I use heavy weapons or a NA maker. Adjust according to power needs and maybe mounting points. Sometimes it pays off to turn and rotate the generator to make weapons and other add-ons fit onto your hounds.

NA maker:

A radar. Most of the time rather heavy on weight and power consumption.

Note: unless you use a na maker you won’t see enemies on the map even if you did capture the combas in that area.

Spacers: Well, not much to say, some add them for fun or to free an otherwise blocked mounting point. Obviously they cost you in terms of weight.

Special Equipment:

This contains everything from jammers, low light vision, mine detectors to add-on fuel tanks and armor. I can only talk about what I've used so far.

Low light: very useful for night mission, wouldn't go without, but watch out for flares as they can blind you.

Infrared: useless compared to low light, your own fire and that from the enemy will seriously mess this up. Maybe somebody else found a useful application for this.

Mine detectors: well, nice for a scout, but you can also spot mines on the ground without it, though it's obviously harder.

Anti missile system: nice to have if you know that you go up against an enemy you likes to use homing missiles.

Add-on fuel tanks: personally I have yet to construct a hound you doesn't have an effect time of 15 and more (which I guess means how long he can stay active in minutes). Standard mission duration is 15 min.

Add-on armor: I found this useful to cover things like generators and weapons to protect them from damage if I had the speed and weight to spare.

Heavy weapons:

Well, this category includes the heaviest artillery cannons and well as huge rockets and homing missiles.

Generally these weapons are heavy, take a while to reload and do huge damage or have some other advantage. They are also quite heavy on the power consumption.

Cannons: ballistic trajectory guns, using the HG rangefinder gun cam. Cause huge amounts of damage and area/splash damage.

Rockets: also using a ballistic trajectory most of the time, these either fire a ridiculous amount of rockets or some really large ones for huge damage.

Missiles: these are homing projectiles, locking onto the nearest target after launch, vary in speed, damage and so forth. Warning: as far as I can tell they can't tell friend or foe apart. The also have a limited turning radius, so lead the target a bit, even if they are homing.

Light weapons:

While this might be a misnomer, they are obviously lighter weapons, usually capable of being mounted in hexagonal groups. They make up the bulk of your weapons.

Chain guns: Low damage, low weight. Maybe has its uses for a scout against npc tanks.

Machine guns: stronger version of the chain gun, only weapon with real uninterrupted auto fire as far as I can tell.

Grenade launcher: don't like them, don't use them, there are better weapons in my opinion.

Shotguns: good close range weapon. Rather light, watch for differences in models.

Anti-hound rocket launcher: your average bazooka, slow traveling rockets with good damage.

Assault rifles: semi auto rifles with good accuracy, medium damage and good range. Lot's of ammo, but contrary to the name rather slow firing. Useful for medium range support in my book or to take out turrets, tanks and those light walkers.

Sniper rifles & cannons: well… sniper guns. Choose to your own liking. Vary in weight, damage, ammo. Fairly flat trajectory.

Cannons: big boomstick. Trajectory arcs more than the one of the sniper cannons (obviously), but still good range, good damage, medium reload time (actually pretty fast for such huge cannons). I prefer heat ammo in them, as it uses the chemical rating of the armor with good damage. Watch out though, high level ammo (heat or apfds) is rather expensive.

Howitzers: HG weapon, but also useful for direct fire. Basically one step up from the cannons. Ballistic weapon cam, meaning no crosshair.

Rocket pods: don't know how they are actually called, but they shoot a varying number of small rockets in a ballistic trajectory. Nice close combat weapon, excellent damage, but rather heavy. Don't get caught in the blast.

Mortars: only used the illumination mortar, nice to support friends on a night mission.

Blades: well, they aren't blades, more like spikes and rams. Good damage and a pain in the rear, but hard to use. Don't plan on getting close to an enemy quickly when he's got you spotted already, CH is too slow of a game for that an you will probably get blown to pieces before that. Great for back stabbing though. Personally I think this should have unlimited numbers of uses.

Mines: nice to have sometimes, but not a must. Doesn't distinguish between friend or foe.

Bombs: nice to have as well, but I prefer either using combined firepower of hounds against a target or simply destroy all enemy hounds. Not that useful against hounds, unless they happen to run over it in just the right moment. Long fuse.

Mounting your guns:

Well, there are 2 basic ways to mount your weapons, with some minor variations (note: mounting equals firing groups as well here):

Cluster them: mount all guns of one type on one side/location of your hound. Good for low recoil weapons which you want to achieve a tight shooting pattern with. If you mount high power/recoil weapons this way and fire them all at once the recoil will drive you off of the target. Exception to this is mounting the weapon cluster along the middle of your hound, as this will merely force your aim up instead of sideways.

Spread them equally: mount the same number of weapons of the same type on each side of your hound. Helps deal with recoil, can be used for weapons like shotguns or weapons with area effect. Also usable with sniper rifles to some extent as they have very good accuracy to begin with.

Firing groups: though this is obvious (as most of the stuff in this guide), I prefer linking together weapons of the same type in a firing group. Or weapon that I know that have similar firing behavior. Try to avoid unnecessary groups as you will have to loop through them as well.

Obviously I can't help you with how to aim. You got to find out for yourself. You just have to realize that there are some crack/lucky shots out there who will destroy your cockpit in less then a second. That's life, don't worry.

To battle … and victory

Well you're almost there. Just a few things before you jump in.

I’d recommend that you try some free battles first (those are available as well when there is world sever maintenance going on which is nice). Play a standard game or death match or two get use to how your hound handles and to see where it needs some tuning and you also get used to some of the maps.

You also need this experience to realize how different the multiplayer is from the single player part.

You will encounter some monsters which are barely able to move but are capable of making mince meat out of your story mode hound in a salvo or two. This currently seems to be the trend, as armor & firepower beats speed & firepower. That's just the way it is. Where you could take a few hits head-on in single player, doing this in a war mission will get you killed in no time. Also the advantage of height is far more obvious as far as aiming goes.

Okay, almost there… now it's time to go and check for some missions. You can either choose to do an individual mission, which is basically a single player search and destroy mission to earn you some extra money. Or you can go and kick some @ss in the war scenario.

Either search a game or create your own. Watch out for the player numbers and the rank limitation though. Otherwise you might be facing a 6 man squad of ace pilots all by yourself.

Also check the map you will be fighting on. Don't get dragged onto a night map without having some equipment like low light to help you, or you're just making it easy for your opponent.

Start a 1 vs. 1 player map against the computer to get to know the area. For your first map I’d recommend winning by time/number of combas captured. That way you can check out the map relatively easy. Also watch out for the computer controlled hounds. The enemy HQ will be defended by a tricked out defender who can already kick your rear if you simply approach it head-on. So be careful.

I hope this provided some insight and information into the basics of the game. Once again, I do not claim to know it all or to have it all down perfectly, this is just my take on the game this far.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 14, 2006, 12:50:58 PM »

I haven't been able to join a squad yet.  So I threw together a snpier style mech and jumped into som open 8 vs 8 battles last night.  In one battle I was on a hill sniping at the battle from a distance.  It was a night-time map and I have to say I was amazed at all of the weapon effects as the mechs battled it out.  One thing I learned was that it is not a good idea have ALL long range weapons.  It's like trying to read the newspaper through binoculars smile

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 14, 2006, 12:54:46 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Despite what others say, I would actually recommend that you go through the single player portion to get those extra parts.  Sure, the multiplayer parts are better than the SP ones, but they take time to get, and more parts means more options in building your hound.

I'm still using the default torso piece in some builds to save weight.

Also, if you want some experience in normal fighting without the hassle of setting of NW missions, just on to Free Battle and join some Team Deathmatch servers.  There's no base attacking, so you simply rush to the middle and duke it out until you die, then respawn.  It's just fun, and if you really want to test out a new build, it's a let better than the test range.

The last game of the night for me was an amazing 4 on 4 night time team deathmatch on one of the harbor maps.  The enemy team had a lot of long ranged units that hurt us bad as we closed, we'd be pressing forward and seeing little flashes of light and the sniper rounds coming at us while we'd launch salvoes of missiles and rockets at them.  We had to cross a serious of bridges to reach them and their lone soldier hound blew up one of the bridges as I crossed, killing me in the process, my other teammates made it accross and move forward. We finally closed in and since the majority of their weaponry was focused on long range, we easily destroyed them at close range.

I had thermal vision on and it was a very interesting effect too.

LOL

I might have been on the other team in that battle.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2006, 12:57:31 PM »

Only thing I want to point out that once we start going against human opponents we need to start assisting on targets.  3-4 hounds pounding on one mech will end the fight much quicker than 1 v 1.  So lets start assisiting.  Going to see Pirates of the Caribbean tonight, but I will but up for more Hound actions tonite!

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2006, 01:04:41 PM »

I haven't been able to join a squad yet.  So I threw together a snpier style mech and jumped into som open 8 vs 8 battles last night.  In one battle I was on a hill sniping at the battle from a distance.  It was a night-time map and I have to say I was amazed at all of the weapon effects as the mechs battled it out.  One thing I learned was that it is not a good idea have ALL long range weapons.  It's like trying to read the newspaper through binoculars smile

I should be on tonight to add squad members, I think we have 5 or 6 slots left.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 14, 2006, 02:16:54 PM »

Damn, the customization sounds incredible.

I don't have enough free time to take up a slot on a squad, how fun is the online aspect if you'll always be solo?  Without a squad, aren't you excluded from the whole online campaign with dynamic factions fighting back and forth?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2006, 02:33:34 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"

I don't have enough free time to take up a slot on a squad, how fun is the online aspect if you'll always be solo?  Without a squad, aren't you excluded from the whole online campaign with dynamic factions fighting back and forth?

You can make a squad of one and whatnot and still participate. It's just much more fun with friends around you. The 6 on 6 fights are amazing. And yes, the customization is fantastic.

BTW - may I recommend we place a password on the guild? I was playing for about 30 minutes this morning, and I got bombarded with invite notices. After checking the Live listing, I didn't see they were people from the site so I turned them down.

I was the only person on anyway, so it was a moot point (you need 51% of the people online to accept invites). But it was still a tad annoying.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 14, 2006, 02:42:58 PM »

You can make a squad of one and whatnot and still participate. It's just much more fun with friends around you. The 6 on 6 fights are amazing. And yes, the customization is fantastic.

BTW - may I recommend we place a password on the guild? I was playing for about 30 minutes this morning, and I got bombarded with invite notices. After checking the Live listing, I didn't see they were people from the site so I turned them down.

I was the only person on anyway, so it was a moot point (you need 51% of the people online to accept invites). But it was still a tad annoying.

Yeah that is fine, I can put a password on it tonight.  And Wonderpug, for now join up with us, if we run out of space then we will adress the situation.  I would personally like to see them double squad size.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2006, 02:56:34 PM »

Thanks for all the info Arkon, good reads

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2006, 03:04:41 PM »

And Wonderpug, for now join up with us, if we run out of space then we will adress the situation.  I would personally like to see them double squad size.

Well, there is the small matter of me not owning the game....or an Xbox 360.

I have to say, despite the bad reviews, this is the first game to really tempt me to buy the system.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure Steel Battalion was what finally made me break down and buy the original Xbox.  I guess my wallet's got a soft spot for Mech games!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 14, 2006, 03:11:01 PM »

And Wonderpug, for now join up with us, if we run out of space then we will adress the situation.  I would personally like to see them double squad size.

Well, there is the small matter of me not owning the game....or an Xbox 360.

I have to say, despite the bad reviews, this is the first game to really tempt me to buy the system.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure Steel Battalion was what finally made me break down and buy the original Xbox.  I guess my wallet's got a soft spot for Mech games!

psshaw... minor issue.  Buy the system already!
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 14, 2006, 04:28:47 PM »

Picked up the game last night.  Played around in the single player last night and a couple of pickup Team Deathmatch games and had a blast.  Hoping to try to join the squad tonight if there is still room.

I won't be on much next week though, I have in-laws visiting and wont get to game much frown

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 14, 2006, 05:24:11 PM »

Got my 360, Chromehounds, moto gp, frogger, gauntlet, joust and uno.  Gamertag is Harkonis and I need friends!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2006, 05:26:55 PM »

Quote from: "Harkonis"
Got my 360, Chromehounds, moto gp, frogger, gauntlet, joust and uno.  Gamertag is Harkonis and I need friends!

Make sure and add me, Arkon262.  Also put your gamertag in this thread Harkonis...

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9812
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 14, 2006, 05:27:23 PM »

I caved and picked it up also.  

Count me in.

What's my gamertag again... oh yeah, that's right: Moron

I'll look for youz guyz tonight.

Which side do I join again?  Russian or American?

LD

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: July 14, 2006, 05:32:15 PM »

Quote from: "faide"
Picked up the game last night.  Played around in the single player last night and a couple of pickup Team Deathmatch games and had a blast.  Hoping to try to join the squad tonight if there is still room.

I won't be on much next week though, I have in-laws visiting and wont get to game much frown

Make sure you pass on your Live tag somewhere, as I've seen a few requests of people I have no idea who they are. Or once we have a password (as already talked about), I'll accept anybody I see pass by.

Also, later today, I'll be posting a big thing about weapons and their effectiveness. Yes, I'm a total geek. biggrin

BTW - the melee weapons (the spikes) are just plain silly in their damage. Yes, it requires you to be point blank, and they have a 7 second reload time, but if you hit just about any Hound in the cockpit with a pair or so, they WILL die.

Impervious
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 14, 2006, 05:37:40 PM »

Could I join your squad if there's room?  My gamertag is dwm189, I went ahead posted the gamertag in the multiplayer forum.
dback99
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 14, 2006, 05:46:26 PM »

Hey folks..  I'd love to get in as well.  My tag is Dback99.  Sadly, I have no friends either on the Xbox Live smile  

-dback99

Xbox Live tag: dback99

Listening to: volbeat!!

Playing: swtor, skyrim, rocksmith, ootp11
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: July 14, 2006, 05:55:38 PM »

Which side do I join again?  Russian or American?

Russian. Starts with an M.

We were on the US side, but they're spending all their time trying to get back their homeland, and as thus, can't buy anything.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 14, 2006, 06:01:38 PM »

I discovered the squad history option this morning.  And promptly wished I could erase a couple of entries on there <g>

One v. one with the computer is not a cakewalk if you go head to head with the defending hound.  The AI and I had pretty similar designs, it was just much better at pegging me from range with the assault rifles.

Couple matches later I managed to run one out of ammo though.  Target practice for me!

Hopefully I'll have some time to get some squad action going on soon.  Considering my luck vs. the ai at the moment i'm terrified to take on people <g>

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: