http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 10:54:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chromehounds - NOW WITH IMPRESSIONS  (Read 50125 times)
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2006, 03:27:28 AM »

So far, the impressions on GAF are not favorable for Chromehounds.  kathode correct?  Although, most demos don't impress me, which is funny since that is their purpose.  Lost Planet is a big exception, though.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2006, 03:29:48 AM »

Do a search, you can make a Japanese or European Xbox account.

I'll go try it now and see if my japanese account can download chromehounds.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2006, 04:21:20 AM »

Since it's out, I'll give some quick impressions of what I didn't like, but it's late and I need to hit the sack smile

1) Big empty world.  The first demo mission is a big barren place.  There's a tree every once in a while, but call me spoiled by Oblivion, but they look pretty bad.  Lots and lots of walking to get to the mission objective.  Lots and lots of slow, slow walking.

2) Targeting - There was no targetting reticule in the center of the screen in the demo I played.  Instead, you get a really funky low-res secondary camera in the upper right of the screen.  This screen shows you exactly the same thing as the full screen, only it's low res and has a targeting reticule.  This baffles me.  Some things like the smaller tanks and people are impossible to see in that screen.

There's another option - a first person mode will give you a targeting reticule as you'd expect.  At the expense of every other readout on your main screen.  

The caveats here are that I only played the "soldier" mode of the demo - it included a sniper mode too but I didn't bother.  I also don't know if it was rough or something since it was a demo on partnernet - but usually it goes up there for final testing so I'd be surprised if it was changed.  Finally, I don't know if there are any interface customization options in the game.

Other complaints - overall just not pretty.  Drab colors, barren level, very simple building geometry.  Buildings fall apart with one shot from any weapon.  Impossible to mix and match weapons to fire together.  Weapons had ridiculously long reload times.  Weapons reloaded after every single shot.  Very tough to account for very sharp falloff in all the weapons.  After a ways they just drop.  Human enemies are insanely annoying due to their tiny tiny size.  On the plus side I'm not sure they do real damage.  

I'm pretty sure what I played is the same thing that's out there, but take it with a grain of salt.  Overall, very very uncompelling to me.  Just too slow and frustrating to play.  Multiplayer could very well be good.  Mech customization or using one of the faster mechs could improve things for me.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2006, 07:14:19 AM »

i was impressed by the demo,hdn't even heard of the game and with it being SEGA i wasnt holding any expectations......but i enjoyed it

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2006, 10:57:08 AM »

Quote from: "kathode"
Since it's out, I'll give some quick impressions of what I didn't like, but it's late and I need to hit the sack smile

1) Big empty world.  The first demo mission is a big barren place.  There's a tree every once in a while, but call me spoiled by Oblivion, but they look pretty bad.  Lots and lots of walking to get to the mission objective.  Lots and lots of slow, slow walking.

2) Targeting - There was no targetting reticule in the center of the screen in the demo I played.  Instead, you get a really funky low-res secondary camera in the upper right of the screen.  This screen shows you exactly the same thing as the full screen, only it's low res and has a targeting reticule.  This baffles me.  Some things like the smaller tanks and people are impossible to see in that screen.

There's another option - a first person mode will give you a targeting reticule as you'd expect.  At the expense of every other readout on your main screen.  

The caveats here are that I only played the "soldier" mode of the demo - it included a sniper mode too but I didn't bother.  I also don't know if it was rough or something since it was a demo on partnernet - but usually it goes up there for final testing so I'd be surprised if it was changed.  Finally, I don't know if there are any interface customization options in the game.

Other complaints - overall just not pretty.  Drab colors, barren level, very simple building geometry.  Buildings fall apart with one shot from any weapon.  Impossible to mix and match weapons to fire together.  Weapons had ridiculously long reload times.  Weapons reloaded after every single shot.  Very tough to account for very sharp falloff in all the weapons.  After a ways they just drop.  Human enemies are insanely annoying due to their tiny tiny size.  On the plus side I'm not sure they do real damage.  

I'm pretty sure what I played is the same thing that's out there, but take it with a grain of salt.  Overall, very very uncompelling to me.  Just too slow and frustrating to play.  Multiplayer could very well be good.  Mech customization or using one of the faster mechs could improve things for me.

A few things.  Ont he mix and match which weapons to fire.  This can be done when building your hound, you set firing sequences, which weapons fire together.  Depending on the hound you had, if it was the heavy it would be using the very heavy armaments which are supposed to reload very slowly.

The speed.... it all is going to depend on your hound type.  Some will be very slow and lumbering, as it should be, but the scout and lighter hounds from videos I have seen really seem to buzz around the battlefield.

Look at steel battallion.  I loved that game, and the mech was dog slow, as it should be, being a big ole lumbering tank on legs.

Due to there being three factions, each with different environments, I doubt all are as drab as the demo level.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2006, 03:27:04 PM »

Chromehounds is on Marketplace in the US! but it's only themes and gamerpictures.  Lame.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2006, 04:49:20 PM »

http://www.gamersreports.com/article/19/

- The site you'll need to visit to make a non-US Live account

From what I'm hearing though, the demo is very limited. One short mission, no real AI, and there's no customization features included either.

Maybe that's why we're not seeing the game on US Live.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2006, 04:35:33 AM »

Yep, only one mission as either sniper of soldier roles.

I agree with everything Kathod says.

Let me add that the mission was way too simple and the objectives weren't very clear.  They didn't even include something as simple as an on screen objective indicator.  Instead you have to go to a seperate map mode, and even then it's difficult to read the map.

All in all, I think they made a multiplayer robot game first, then tacked on some single-player missions.  This is evidenced even more by the fact that you actually choose a class before going into SP missions.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2006, 05:53:10 AM »

I just grabbed the new trailer off of Live...

Seriously doesn't look any better than MechAssault.  Hell, the environments look MORE sparse.  Icky.

TheMissingLink on PSN
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2006, 05:56:11 AM »

have you guys not got the demo yet on marketplace?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2006, 06:20:28 AM »

I have it via a japanese live account I made.

It feels like a slower version of mechassault, bit without all the activity.

I think the developer and publisher might have been at odds with the design of the game, the publisher wanting a mechassault style game and the developer wanting a more in depth game like Armored Core.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2006, 02:16:58 PM »

IN DEFENCE OF THE DEMO....

Let's be clear... demo's don't always make a game look good, and they aren't generally on final product code. Now that I've played the two demo modes twice (downloaded it from my Deutschland account) I have to say I'm pretty pumped for it.

Since these are tutorial missions (and may actually only be a "training module" in the final game) I wouldn't get too worked up about sparseness. FROM knows how to make a hectic, difficult but fair battleground (see below). I have confidence that the game will rock. This game is clearly the more tactical, whereas the MechAssault is arcade action. This one is much closer to the MechWarrior series on PC.

There is polish that is needed, but even if this is an accurate representation of the final game this is clearly only showing the controls and the overall design. Looking at the trailers there is a lot more battle than the demo offers.

Controls are fine pretty much as they are; I love the fact that the controls are simple enough that it doesn't require you to worry about 40+ buttons. biggrin If you don't like aiming with the top right window, push in your right joystick. This toggles the mech camera to weapon camera (Kathode, I'm lookin' at you on this point :lol:). Each weapon has a different scope, as indicated by the numbers in the top right. Hit RB to toggle the weapons. The zoom level and hud changes with each one (not adjustable though, so no 10x zoom). I think it would have been nice if the HUD would put a box around friendly and enemy targets though; that is the one thing that is sorely lacking. Perhaps there is a module that can be added to the mechs though; they are pretty vanilla (cockpit, legs, power, weapon).

As far as the rest of the hud options being on the weapon, I don't mind that they aren't there. You still get your 3rd person camera in the top right, and it's like squinting down a scope, or operating a turret. Your attention is focussed on that function.

The map is easy to read when you give it a chance. The coordinates are all there, and if you test out the commands (directional pad), you'll see there is some depth to it (although I DO hope that when you issue commands to go to [A-3] that it will put a waypoint in the map screen for all your fellow players).  I do hope that the game has more tutorials to truly take advantage of commanding units and using the tactical map functions.

Listen to the comm. system Your briefing will tell you EXACTLY what to do. We all tend to fly by the seat of our pants and the only thing I'd have liked them to add was a log of messages sent to you. During missions they tell you where to be, where to go, and where your enemies have been spotted. Using the map you can determine where they are. The one thing I would have liked is for the map to have those zones updated with either a red highlight, or even radar from all friendly units.  Maybe this will happen with the commander units; I can only assume not.

As to the "class system" in their opening video (IIRC) they indicate chromehounds name "hounds" refers to a pack mentality where everyone plays a role. There's comm, sniper, soldier, commander, demo, etc.... you build your mechs.  I suspect you'll start the single player game with a borrowed mech, and as you progress they'll let you start modifying your mech in minor ways until you eventually get access to enough parts to be able to customize fully. Who knows, maybe you'll have multiple mechs you can customize in a "garage".

Go into the view borrowed hound section before your mission; there is a TON of depth in mech design, stats and functions. You can see the different components on the top right corner (although you can't select anything in the demo). In the demo you can view the hound components, but you can't change any of it. That invisible wall will concievably be brought down in the final retail game.

In the sniper mission, they tell you right at the beginning to listen closely. You're to ambush a caravan at either waypoint 1 facing east, or waypoint 2 facing north. Lumber over there and aim. Now it's just a matter of killing them. Highly advisable to push RStick in to use weapon camera mode.

Kill every vehicle in the convoy and then you've completed it. If you miss some, your allies will be right behind the convoy and will wipe out what you miss. You could also go wipe them out yourself by following the road south. I wouldn't advise standing in the middle of the road; your mech isn't hardy enough to go toe-to-toe with multiple smaller and faster mechs. You're long-range; use it to your advantage.

In the soldier mission you get to go and try close-range skirmish modes. Once again, if you listen to the dialog you will have an easier time of it. Also, you're basically heading to waypoint 1.

You can step on troops, kick tanks and blow up buildings (it's a requirement to complete the mission). You're armored and heavily armed; go to it. You're in a brawler-designed hound.

Oh, here's FROM Software's resume:

Games Developed

Dreamcast
Frame Gride

GameCube
Gold Star Mountain
Lost Kingdoms
Lost Kingdoms II

Nintendo DS
Tenchu: Dark Secret

PlayStation
Armored Core
Armored Core: Master of Arena
Armored Core: Project Phantasma
Echo Night
King's Field
King's Field II
Shadow Tower

PlayStation 2
1/4
A.C.E. Another Century's Episode
A.C.E. Another Century's Episode 2
Armored Core 2
Armored Core 2: Another Age
Armored Core 3
Armored Core Formula Front
Armored Core: Last Raven
Armored Core: Nexus
Armored Core: Nine Breaker
Echo Night: Beyond
Eternal Ring
Evergrace
Forever Kingdom
King's Field: The Ancient City
Kuon
Shadow Tower Abyss
Silent Line: Armored Core
Tenchu: Fatal Shadows
The Adventures of Cookie and Cream
Yoshitsune Eiyuuden Shura
Yoshitsune Eiyuuden: The Story of Hero Yoshitsune

PlayStation 3
Armored Core 4
Black Blade [Working Title]

PlayStation Portable
Adventure Player
Armored Core Formula Front (Japanese Edition)
Armored Core Formula Front -- Extreme Battle
King's Field

Wireless
Armored Core: Mobile Missions
King's Field
Murakumo
Tenchu: Ayame's Tale

Xbox
Gaia Blade
Metalwolf Chaos
Murakumo: Renegade Mech Pursuit
Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors
Otogi: Myth of Demons
Thousand Land

Xbox 360
Armored Core 4
Chromehounds
Enchanted Arms
Tenchu

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2006, 07:06:27 PM »

From what I've read on the various boards from people who have played it, and from watching the videos, most of the complaints are because of the demos limitations.  

I think they really should have put out a multiplayer demo for this game, it would have worked much better as advertising, and given people a better feel of what the game is all about.

I'm willing to give them a fair amount of latitude because I'm a big mecha fan.  The graphics complaints don't bother me at all, I mean I played Multiplayer Battletech on aol/gamestorm for around 6 years and had a great time.

My fingers are crossed that the game lives up to the potential.  Here in the next week it will be released in Japan and then Europe, so hands on impressions will be forthcoming.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2006, 07:50:27 PM »

Question - if I download this via a non-American Live account, will it still be in English?

I'm assuming so, but it doesn't make much sense to be (unless it's a European download).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2006, 08:42:49 PM »

I won't give them any slack for a demo.  You release something to promote your game, you deal with the consequences.

I've seen plenty of companies who had made great games turn around and make crap, expecting their name and some visuals or similar mechanics to hold the game.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2006, 09:10:14 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
I won't give them any slack for a demo.  You release something to promote your game, you deal with the consequences.

I've seen plenty of companies who had made great games turn around and make crap, expecting their name and some visuals or similar mechanics to hold the game.

I've honestly hardly run into any demos that have sold me on a game.  They usually aren't very representative of how good a game truly is because how can you sum the total experience of a game in a level or two?  If they give you the first level as a demo, you are just doing the basics, so you probably think the game is boring.  If they give you a later level, then you don't have the basics mastered to properly play the level.  For me, the demo system just doesn't really work.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2006, 09:27:14 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Question - if I download this via a non-American Live account, will it still be in English?

I'm assuming so, but it doesn't make much sense to be (unless it's a European download).

And wouldn't there be PAL/NTSC issues as well?  

Inquiring mind.

- shaggy

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2006, 12:25:09 AM »

Quote from: "shaggydoug"

And wouldn't there be PAL/NTSC issues as well?  

Inquiring mind.

Well, I made myself a German/Dutch account (oddly enough, Live is still in English), and am pulling the demo now. I'll get back to you in an hour or two with some details (assuming nobody else answers before then).

EDIT: Okay, Purge pretty much is right on with my thoughts as far as the game goes. It does need some additional features (a color coded HUD would be a VERY nice thing to have - but maybe it's only a feature for more advanced 'mechs), but as of right now, the game looks to be fantastic.

In short - if you loved the Armored Core series, and prefer the style of slower, yet more thundering and powerful 'mechs, this is the game you're gonna want in two weeks.

And as far as Live goes - the game was completely in English (there was even an option to change language ingame), and I didn't notice and PAL/NTSC issues. Just use the link I posted a bit back and make a non-American account.

Oh, and before I forget - you'll be able to beat both tutorial (Purge called them that, and once again I agree with him) missions in under 30 minutes combined. Very short demo.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2006, 03:03:49 AM »

FYI the game has been released overseas.  There are some impressions up on the xbox.com chromehounds forum to check out.

Edit: Link to a post talking about running the online campaign missions.

http://forums.xbox.com/5138974/ShowPost.aspx

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2006, 03:33:07 AM »

The 360 knows what your display type is; I don't think it's software specific anymore (at least with demos).

Same thing with language. Remember that the system now remembers your prefs (like invert X axis for flight games, but normal X for FPS?).

This is the seamlessness they were promising. It's no wonder people love the marketplace; they've made a standard currency and everything "works" as it should. biggrin

Now, to try to scrounge some cash for CH.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2006, 06:48:42 AM »

Any word on split screen multiplayer?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2006, 07:19:29 PM »

http://www.gamebrink.com/xbox-360/1568-Chrome_Hounds-reviews-3.html

Again from Japan.  Again. not great.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2006, 08:48:22 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"

It still looks like a great game. Just pretty much requires online access in order to play half the game.

Reminds me of Steel Batallion 2...just without the whole 'shutting down the servers' aspect that Capcom did.

Make sure you watch the 'mech building video in order to see how whacky of a 'mech you can build. biggrin

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2006, 11:03:38 PM »

If they ever make another Steel Battalion, they should seriously consider inluding support for normal controllers.  That and voice commands.

The main thing that caused that game's downfall was initial cost to play.  Combined with the fact that of the few who would buy, or even afford the game, it's not likely that many would also pay for Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2006, 01:01:22 AM »

Steel Battalion was as much as a friggin system.  Pretty dumb I think.  The concept was cool, the way it was sold idiotic.  Glad it died a slow death.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2006, 05:03:43 PM »

Again from Japan. Again. not great.

I should point out that I was confusing the Gamebrink review of OverG Fighters with another Chromehounds review.  Although their take on OGF makes me trust them a little more on Chromehounds.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2006, 01:53:07 PM »

Eurogamer has weighed in with their review: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=65927&page=2
Chromehounds is really, really, really boring to play.

4/10

Ouch.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2006, 01:58:27 PM »

I am still buying it.  

I like the idea of a slower pace... I don't want anime style mechs, I like the idea of big slow lumbering mechs.  Of course your mech is gonna be slow as molasses if you load it way down with ordenance, it sounds like they want to be able to carry all the heavy weapons and see no effects.  I firmly believe that being smart when building your mech will make a huge difference.  For example, you want to be a scout in mp matches?  Then you better damn well build your mech like a scout, very lightly armed and very lightly armored.  With the low weight you will have the speed.

I also really hate when reviewers base a score on only a portion of the game.  Multiplayer is where this game is directed, but yet you will review a game before the public has it at large, when few will be online yet to really get a feel for the real direction of the game.  I am about ready to just quit reading reviews.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2006, 07:33:05 PM »

From reading impressions from people already playing the game, it sounds as though the Neroimus (?) war portion is a lot of fun.  

Apparently Sega/From/et. al were not prepared for the demand however.  There have been some issues with the servers.  They are working on it.  

All things considered, I am confident I'll enjoy the game.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2006, 09:19:30 AM »

http://www.chromehound.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=966&hl

A link to a post with several mechs that are incredible looking.

Too bad I a)have no artistic ability and b)am not patient enough to try and design something like those.

<looks at moriarty> hmm... maybe I can get her to design a couple...[/code]

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2006, 11:21:19 AM »

Review from TeamXbox is up.  8.7 out of 10.

http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1193/Chromehounds/p1/
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2006, 12:56:02 PM »

If you are on the fence due to the Japanese and Eurogamer review... here are some posts by Tom Chick whom I trust a great deal more...

I'm seeing a fair bit of fumbling around online as people get the game, so a few tips.

1) You get a bit chunk of money when you first start, so don't sweat your starting Hound too much. You can essentially buy a whole new one if you want. The Heavy Gunner's are sexy, but they're hard to use. Same with Snipers. It's easy to snipe the dumbass AI, but don't count on that being the case with humans. Basically, you want a Defender or Soldier when you're just starting out.

2) A Hound consists first of a chassis (legs, treads, whatever), then a cockpit, then a generator. The legs determine your base movement and weight limt. The generator sets your energy limit. The cockpit has a number of slots for system devices (computers) that improve stability, aiming, and movement. Add weapons or assist parts (thermal vision, mine detectors, etc.) and you're good to go.

3) You start out with crappy system devices. Buy new ones immediately!

4) The basic campaign missions seem to be base attacks. You're supposed to destroy the other guy's base and he's supposed to destroy yours. Before you start a mission, you can pick which of the bases on the map is your real base. The others are dummies. The other guy will do the same thing, so you have to know how to tell which base is real. It's simple: the real base has a national flag on the side of the bunker. If you don't see the flag, it's a dummy base and you're wasting your ammo! If it's too dark to tell, switch on your headlamp. BTW, don't run around with your headlamp switched on at night.

4) Oh, you can also win by killing all the guys on the other team.

5) Regular guns suck vs. bases. You'll want a Heavy Gunner along, or at least someone with a bomb dispenser. Note that the "light arms" bomb dispensers seem capable of destroying a base only if they have the time to sit around and unload all their bombs.

6) Stick armor plates on the outside nodes of your weapons to protect your sides. Also put them in front of your cockpit. And behind you if you can afford it. Armor plates are cheap and relatively light. And it's particularly important to put the plates on your cockpit! If your cockpit is destroyed, you're dead.

7) This is pretty basic, but I'm not sure some folks understand it. Enemies won't show up on the map unless you're the commander with an NA Maker. In which case it's your responsibility to tell your squad when and where you see bad guys. However, as squad members, you can't send or receive voice chat unless you're within NA coverage. So be sure to capture those towers as you go. This unfogs the map for your commander and lets him tell you what's what.

-Tom

And then...

The single player missions are dumb. If you're planning on just playing offline, give this one a pass. It's all about the multiplayer. There are plenty of pick-up matches available, and also the persistent campaign. You can play the campaign against bot defenders, which I imagine would be a good way to get your squad accustomed to their roles, how the commander works, the maps, etc.

I'll have a review up on Yahoo either later this week or early next week. I told my editor there was really no way to address this game without playing it after it's gone live. You guys should be wary about any reviews that come out tomorrow.

BTW, Tarakia, our faction, just got, umm, defeated. So we can only do guerilla missions in the capital, or we can apply for asylum with one of the other factions (i.e. port ourselves over to the Russian or Middle Eastern faction). If Tarakia is still offline, as it were, later tonight, I'll move us over to the Russian guys and leave a message here for anyone who picks up the game tomorrow.

-Tom

So pretty much as expected, the single player is basically a training system for the real meat, the online play.

Speed is entirely dependent on the build: chassis, system devices, and I think overtaxing energy slows you down. I can't imagine someone complaining that the mechs are too slow. They're all kinds of speeds! It seems to me it varies much more than it did in the MechWarrior games.

The Heavy Gunners in their four-legged chassis are pigs. Not only do they move slowly, but they turn slowly. Also, with an inverse-legged bipedal chassis, you move a lot slower in reverse. If you look around and get your orientation mixed up, you might think you're moving forward when you've got your view twisted 180 degrees and you're actually in reverse. You have to do a little U-turn with the stick to get your legs right again. Pretty cool detail, but maybe the guy complaining about mechs being too slow didn't realize he was moving in reverse.

Plus, each chassis also has a rotation value that determines how quickly you can change your view (like speed and acceleration, there are system devices that can boost rotation, if you want to use up the slots in your cockpit). It's really gratifying to get close enough to one of those heavy hitters and to be able to say out of his line of fire by just getting behind him and watching him try to turn around and shoot you.

But then there are the hovercraft and wheeled chassis, which come in varying classes. They're plenty fast. And on the smaller maps, I'm not sure you'd want them to be much faster. Matches can end in less than, say, three minutes if someone loads up a fast chassis with base killing weapons and books over to the other guy's HQ to find it undefended.

There's also a device that lets you glide, but I haven't bought one yet, so I'm not sure how it works. As far as I can tell, there's nothing like the locked-wheel/rollerskating from Heavy Gear or Steel Battalion, though. You pretty much have to build your speed and deal with it.

-Tom

Everything is from this thread at Quarter To Three...

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=27595
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2006, 01:19:52 PM »

Well, that pretty much pushes me over the fence to the 'buy' side.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2006, 01:22:25 PM »

I would die of laughter if I found out for sure that the reviews whining about the speed were using bipedal chassis and walking backwards due to having spun the mech.

<Using Vincini voice>
Man that would just be a classic blunder in the realm of the most well known blunders....first of which is never start a land war, but only slightly less well known is this....
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2006, 01:22:44 PM »

Okay I actually might just pick this up friday.   Sounds like this will solve my Mechwarrior jonesing

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2006, 02:33:14 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
I would die of laughter if I found out for sure that the reviews whining about the speed were using bipedal chassis and walking backwards due to having spun the mech.

<Using Vincini voice>
Man that would just be a classic blunder in the realm of the most well known blunders....first of which is never start a land war, but only slightly less well known is this....

Never get into a knife fight with a Sicilian

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2006, 05:06:49 PM »

Quote from: "Clanwolfer"
Well, that pretty much pushes me over the fence to the 'buy' side.

Same here. Then again, I expected this game to be slow like the MechWarrior series.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2006, 07:17:11 PM »

Frys has it for $50 today "after 4 pm"

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2006, 07:36:13 PM »

Quote from: "depward"

And here I usually check my Fry's ad for steals. I guess this counts as one.

Thanks for the find! biggrin

depward

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2006, 07:41:17 PM »

Quote from: "depward"

And here I usually check my Fry's ad for steals. I guess this counts as one.

Thanks for the find! biggrin

Sure.  Pointing it out so you people can play and tell me how it is   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: