http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 05:55:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Citizen, space combat simulation game (Chris Roberts' latest)  (Read 7659 times)
TK-421
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2014, 10:03:07 PM »

Organizations module dropped today.

Is there any interest in forming a GT/OO based organization?

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 22, 2014, 06:49:23 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on January 21, 2014, 10:03:07 PM

Organizations module dropped today.

Is there any interest in forming a GT/OO based organization?
Not sure how often I'll play, but I'm interested.. as I'm sure other people will be.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2014, 10:22:51 AM »

I'd be interested. I don't have any flagships though :-P
KC

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 23, 2014, 04:53:35 PM »

Does this game have an ETA yet?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 23, 2014, 05:01:20 PM »

"Early 2015" I think is the latest official word, but given that Chris Roberts doesn't answer to any publishers he's not really under any pressure to release it earlier than he thinks it's ready.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: January 23, 2014, 05:19:38 PM »

my biggest fear is that he's never going to be able to finish it, what with the rate and the amount of money thrown his way.  anyone know if there's been any independently made games with as big a budget?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 23, 2014, 05:35:21 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 23, 2014, 05:19:38 PM

my biggest fear is that he's never going to be able to finish it, what with the rate and the amount of money thrown his way.  anyone know if there's been any independently made games with as big a budget?

I think this situation is a good bit different than other kickstarters that have run out of money because the budget got bigger than they knew how to handle. 

First and foremost, Roberts always intended for this game to have a gigantic budget.  When he had more modest crowdfunding goals, he had planned to fund the game the rest of the way himself through private investors.  Now that the crowdfunding has grown to cover the private investor amounts, he can cut that part of the plan and go fully crowdfunded.  He gets more direct control over the creation, and the budget goal doesn't significantly shift.

Second, Roberts doesn't seem to be doing stupid things with his stretch goals.  Instead of stretch goals that bloat the game and make it feature creep out of the budgeted time and money, he's just adding things that he already had in mind for the game.  There were also some very prudent stretch goals that directly contributed to improving the game development, like adding a motion capture studio.  The only stretch goal I can think of so far that made me raise an eyebrow was the addition of on-planet first person combat, but even that takes advantage of the chosen game engine and the already planned ship-boarding features.

So while I still haven't put any money into this, it's not because I have any worry about the game being finished.  My main worry is just that the completed game won't be my cup of tea.  I need to at least see how the flight model and combat is going to play out before I really start frothing at the mouth.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 24, 2014, 02:28:13 PM »

Also, while not completely decided upon yet, CIG has floated the idea of a staggered release.  

They are already doing this in practice with the release of the hangar module (which allows you to view, walk around, and enter your purchased ship, assuming it's one that has been released [many ships haven't yet] as well as including a firing range for ship mounted guns) and the upcoming Dog Fighting Module which will allow for limited multiplayer combat.  After that they plan to release a planetside module for first person interaction.

The staggered release would have CIG releasing the single player game, Squadron 42, in stages.  First stage would likely be the first fifteen to twenty missions, with a second and third stage following later as the mission building is completed.  

Finally, they would release the Star Citizen Persistent Universe which is the free-form, multiplayer environment.

Now, this smacks a bit of Half Life Episodes and that whole debacle to a lot of people but, for now, I maintain faith that they will be able to stick to the plan with, hopefully, only minor delays.

Some people were upset by this release plan as many players weren't even planning to play the single player campaign and instead jump straight into the PU.  Chris Roberts even said that they were planning to allow players to bypass the single player game (with minor penalties) if they desired.

I'm not one of them as I always planned on playing Sq42 anyway and for those that want to go straight to the PU, well, they still can but they'll just have to wait longer.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 02:30:06 PM by TK-421 » Logged

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: