http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 05:34:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Citizen, space combat simulation game (Chris Roberts' latest)  (Read 8702 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2013, 10:18:02 PM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on September 06, 2013, 10:00:42 PM

Quote from: Arkon on September 06, 2013, 09:48:35 PM

So they have reduced prices in Voyager Direct thankfully.  I am not so sure what to think about the 20 million stretch goal...FPS combat on some lawless systems.

Well... They do have all these nice ship interiors and places to walk around in, it'd be quite fun to have some first-person shooting when boarding a vehicle as a pirate for instance...

Very true, and I suppose Cryengine is quite good at handling FPS combat.  I just don't want the space portion to get watered down.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2013, 11:19:43 PM »

Yeah....I'm not thrilled at all about the FPS portion.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 07, 2013, 12:47:09 AM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on September 06, 2013, 11:19:43 PM

That's the only reason this game sparked my interest. Imagine disabling a ship in space combat, docking your ship next to it to board, then taking control of your character in your own ship as you and crewmates board and attack the crew of the enemy ship and take it over.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 07, 2013, 01:32:51 AM »

Quote from: ravenvii on September 07, 2013, 12:47:09 AM

Quote from: Greggy_D on September 06, 2013, 11:19:43 PM

That's the only reason this game sparked my interest. Imagine disabling a ship in space combat, docking your ship next to it to board, then taking control of your character in your own ship as you and crewmates board and attack the crew of the enemy ship and take it over.

Who, in this day and age, would not have this if they could?

Boarding Party!!!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 01:36:15 AM by Arclight » Logged

Grace: Unmerited favor.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 07, 2013, 01:43:19 AM »

Ship boarding sounds cool, but...

First person combat on select lawless planets. Don’t just battle on space stations and platforms… take the fight to the ground!

The new stretch goal is for fighting planetside. 
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 07, 2013, 02:00:17 AM »

I'm in when they have a stretch goal for quick scoping

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2013, 01:23:56 PM »

Have we already talked about this video of a Terra Prime spaceport?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3UaFSd-ezQc

Mind the "lighting not final" disclaimer.  If you're all like "this looks f@#king awesome", then remember you're supposed to be thinking how disappointed you are with the lighting.  Stop being impressed by how it looks.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »

$19 million
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2013, 06:20:16 PM »

If anyone missed out on getting a Caterpillar and wants one, they are running a sale on them this weekend.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2013, 07:14:06 PM »

I picked one up last night.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 21, 2013, 08:02:53 PM »

I don't know if this is already common knowledge, but if you're not an original backer but want some of the special original backer perks, extra ship options and lifetime insurance and such, you can 'money launder' through a willing original backer to get the goodies you want.

Elvenshae over at the Penny Arcade forums made a fantastic writeup of the kinda confusing process:

spoilered for gigantor size
Spoiler for Hiden:
Quote from: Elvenshae of PA
Here's an update for the "Bribe a Backer!" information.

Okay, so there are three types of backers at this point.

1) Johnny-come-latelys, who are plebes and are terrible.*  They have access to basically nothing cool.

2) Veteran Backers, who got in on the action after the Kickstarter campaign but before the launch of the new website.  They have access to a couple of the cooler bundles.

3) Original Backers, who got in during the Kickstarter campaign, who have access to all of the remaining, non-time-limited bundles until November 26.

Original Backers have access to the following game access packages:
  • Physical Packages
  • Colonel ($125): Hornet w/ LTI; Business Hangar; 5,000 in-game credits; Deluxe collector's box (green); spaceship USB drive; soundtrack CD; glossy star map; hardback Squadron 42 manual; Alpha and Beta access; digital game downloads and manuals
  • Freelancer ($125): Freelancer w/ LTI; Business Hangar; 5,000 in-game credits; Deluxe collector's box (green); spaceship USB drive; soundtrack CD; glossy star map; hardback Squadron 42 manual; Alpha and Beta access; digital game downloads and manuals
  • Rear Admiral ($250): Constellation w/ LTI; Deluxe Hangar; 10,000 in-game credits; Deluxe collector's box (silver); spaceship USB drive; soundtrack CD; glossy star map; hardback Squadron 42 manual; Alpha and Beta access; digital game downloads and manuals; 5 spaceship blueprints; 3-inch spaceship model; hardback making-of book
  • Vice Admiral ($500): Constellation w/ LTI; Deluxe Hangar; 15,000 in-game credits; Deluxe collector's box (silver); spaceship USB drive; soundtrack CD; glossy star map; hardback Squadron 42 manual; Alpha and Beta access; digital game downloads and manuals; 5 spaceship blueprints; 4-inch spaceship model; hardback making-of book
  • High Admiral ($1,100): Constellation, Aurora LX, 350 Racer w/ LTI; Deluxe Hangar; 20,000 in-game credits; Deluxe collector's box (silver); spaceship USB drive; soundtrack CD; glossy star map; hardback Squadron 42 manual; Alpha and Beta access; digital game downloads and manuals; 5 spaceship blueprints; 6-inch spaceship model; hardback making-of book; 9 campaign skins; electro-skin hull
  • Grand Admiral ($2,500): Constellation, Constellation Variant TBD, Aurora, Aurora LX, 300i, 350 Racer, Hornet, Hornet Variant TBD, Freelancer, Freelancer Variant TBD,  w/ LTI; Deluxe Hangar; 20,000 in-game credits; Deluxe collector's box (silver); spaceship USB drive; soundtrack CD; glossy star map; hardback Squadron 42 manual; Alpha and Beta access; digital game downloads and manuals; 5 spaceship blueprints; 6-inch spaceship model; hardback making-of book; 9 campaign skins; electro-skin hull
  • Space Marshal ($5,000): Idris-P Corvette, Constellation, Aurora, 300i, Hornet, Freelancer w/ LTI; Deluxe Hangar; 20,000 in-game credits; Deluxe collector's box (silver); spaceship USB drive; soundtrack CD; glossy star map; hardback Squadron 42 manual; Alpha and Beta access; digital game downloads and manuals; 5 spaceship blueprints; 6-inch spaceship model; hardback making-of book; hardback engineering manual; electro-skin hull
  • Wing Commander ($10,000): Constellation, Aurora, 300i, Hornet, Freelancer w/ LTI; Deluxe Hangar; 20,000 in-game credits; Deluxe collector's box (silver); spaceship USB drive; soundtrack CD; glossy star map; hardback Squadron 42 manual; Alpha and Beta access; digital game downloads and manuals; 5 spaceship blueprints; 10-inch spaceship model; hardback making-of book; hardback engineering manual; 9 campaign skins; electro-skin hull; custom skin; name your spaceship, 1 Million Mile High Club membership; a day with Chris Roberts
  • Digital Packages
  • Digital Scout ($35): Aurora w/ LTI; Discount Hangar; 1,000 in-game credits; Alpha and Beta access; digital game downloads and manuals
  • Mercenary ($40): Aurora w/ LTI; Discount Hangar; 1,000 in-game credits; Alpha and Beta access; digital game downloads and manuals
  • Bounty Hunter ($60): 300i w/ LTI; Discount Hangar; 2,000 in-game credits; Alpha and Beta access; digital game downloads and manuals; digital soundtrack; digital star map
  • Pathfinder ($75): 315p w/ LTI; Discount Hangar; 2,000 in-game credits; Alpha and Beta access; digital game downloads and manuals; digital soundtrack; digital star map
  • Arbiter ($80): 325a w/ LTI; Discount Hangar; 2,000 in-game credits; Alpha and Beta access; digital game downloads and manuals; digital soundtrack; digital star map
  • Digital Colonel ($110): Hornet w/ LTI; Business Hangar; 5,000 in-game credits; Alpha and Beta access; digital game downloads and manuals; digital soundtrack; digital star map
  • Digital Freelancer ($110): Freelancer w/ LTI; Business Hangar; 5,000 in-game credits; Alpha and Beta access; digital game downloads and manuals; digital soundtrack; digital star map
  • Digital Pirate ($110): Cutlass w/ LTI; Business Hangar (to be replaced); 2,000 in-game credits; Alpha and Beta access; digital game downloads and manuals; digital soundtrack; digital star map; tractor beam; docking collar; skull-and-crossbones skin
[/list]

Original Backers also have access to the following ships, all of which come with Liftetime Insurance.  Note that the below ships do not come with a copy of the game; if you want to play with the ships (or see them in your hangar), you need a game package (see above):

• RSI Aurora
  • Aurora ($25): Discount hangar
  • Origin Jumpworks 300-Series
  • 300i ($55): Discount hangar
  • 315p ($65): Discount hangar
  • 325a ($70): Discount hangar
  • Anvil Hornet
  • Hornet ($110): Business hangar
  • MISC Freelancer
  • Freelancer ($110): Business hangar
  • RSI Constellation
  • Constellation ($225): Deluxe hangar
  • Drake Cutlass:
  • Cutlass ($100): Business hangar (currently); Skull and crossbones skin, docking collar, tractor beam
  • Aegis Avenger
  • Avenger ($60): N / A hangar
[/list]

Default ship equipment (which is replaced via LTI if your ship is destroyed) can be found here.

The mechanics are the new person determines the cost of what they want.  They then purchase other things from the store equal to that price (this also gets them Backer status; woohoo!).  Then, they wait 24 hours, because items purchased from the store have a delay before they can be turned into credit.  After 24 hours, the new person uses the in-store gifting option to send his purchases to the Original Backer.  Gifts, in the past, could take up to several hours to appear, but CIG seems to have solved that issue and they appear in a couple minutes.

The Original Backer then takes these items and cashes them in for store credit and adds the appropriate stuff to their cart.  When checking out, the Backer can press a button on the check-out screen to apply store credit, and enters in the right amount.  After checkout goes through, the Original Backer can then send the items back using the in-hangar gift option (which, again, only takes a couple minutes to process now).

Tada!

Also, make sure you pick an Original Backer who charges reasonable fees.

Spoiler for Hiden:

* Not actually terrible, just didn't get there early enough.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2013, 11:08:38 PM »

The new video made me excited for the game for the first time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0tLbWv5K60

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2013, 10:41:03 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 26, 2013, 11:08:38 PM

It's the exact same videos shown before (short of some stuff from their recently released Hanger module) but with exciting music and such behind it. Tongue

Still excited about SC. Still looking forward to flying my 300i. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2013, 11:33:41 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 27, 2013, 10:41:03 PM

Quote from: Ridah on September 26, 2013, 11:08:38 PM

It's the exact same videos shown before (short of some stuff from their recently released Hanger module) but with exciting music and such behind it. Tongue

There is actually some other new stuff in there, mostly the atmospheric flight of the Aurora.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2013, 03:33:45 PM »

Approaching $22 million and the bombers (Gladiator and Retaliator) are back on sale until Monday.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 11, 2013, 03:35:36 PM »

For the small difference in price, I would upgrade to either the 315p or 325a from the 300i.  You get a lot of equipment for a minor dollar increase.

I'm very meh about the vanilla 300i now.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 11, 2013, 07:00:41 PM »

I believe Hornet variants and Aurora variants will be on sale soon.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 11, 2013, 07:39:28 PM »

It sounds like the Hornets are this weekend and the Auroras are next weekend.

I melted down my Cat and picked up a Retaliator.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 11, 2013, 08:00:33 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on October 11, 2013, 03:35:36 PM

For the small difference in price, I would upgrade to either the 315p or 325a from the 300i.  You get a lot of equipment for a minor dollar increase.

I'm very meh about the vanilla 300i now.

When you say you're meh about a ship, how do you know?  I am always amazed when people talk about all the ships because what do we really know about them?  Please enlighten me.  I had a tough time picking a ship when I bought into the game because there's not much info to really make a choice from.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 11, 2013, 08:46:37 PM »

Real men fly the RSI Aurora.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2013, 11:10:18 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on October 11, 2013, 08:46:37 PM

Real men fly the RSI Aurora.

Speaking of the Aurora, new commericial and the Aurora LN (Legionnaire) is up for sale on the store:

http://vimeo.com/76735257#at=0
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »

I'm having trouble remembering, how will the single player/co-op game work? You can setup your own private server right?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 12, 2013, 12:26:43 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 12, 2013, 11:52:04 AM

I'm having trouble remembering, how will the single player/co-op game work? You can setup your own private server right?

From my understanding that is correct.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 12, 2013, 01:56:06 PM »

Guess I'll probably upgrade to the LN... but that's it until I've actually played the game  Tongue
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 02:12:48 PM by Azhag » Logged
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2013, 03:44:08 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 11, 2013, 08:00:33 PM

When you say you're meh about a ship, how do you know?  I am always amazed when people talk about all the ships because what do we really know about them?  Please enlighten me.  I had a tough time picking a ship when I bought into the game because there's not much info to really make a choice from.

At one point I owned all four ships in the 300 series (300i, 315p, 325a, 350r).  Taking the 350r out of the equation since it has a different hull (2 engines vs 1), the 300i quickly became redundant with the introduction of the other 2 variants.  The 300i will be easily upgradable within the game to either a 315p or 325a.

Present day lets look at the costs of the ships.....a 300i is $55, a 315p is $65, and the 325a is $70.  So for either $10 or $15 more, you get a nicely equipped ship compared to the rather bare 300i.  With the variant options available for a reasonable price compared to the base model, I just don't feel the love for the 300i.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 03:45:55 PM by Greggy_D » Logged
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2013, 03:48:17 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on October 12, 2013, 01:56:06 PM

Guess I'll probably upgrade to the LN... but that's it until I've actually played the game  Tongue

I went ahead and picked up the LN Package to get an extra character/npc to use at release.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2013, 06:05:04 PM »

I guess I'm wondering whether there will be enough different in story, etc to jusify having two characters with essentially the same type of ship...
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 12, 2013, 06:17:15 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on October 12, 2013, 06:05:04 PM

I guess I'm wondering whether there will be enough different in story, etc to jusify having two characters with essentially the same type of ship...

I am going off of this: Multiple Package Clarification in that my extra character will be used to create my own customized NPC crewman.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 24, 2013, 04:18:46 PM »

New video: Official Anvil Aerospace Hornet Commercial

Those in-cockpit scenes are just so awesome.  This game through an Oculus Rift is going to blow my mind.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 24, 2013, 04:23:58 PM »

sweet jeebus... eek

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
paulstraytalker
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2013, 04:10:44 PM »

icon_confused. This stuff is as old as the text type games of the C64 days. Though better graphics etc. I just wished it would be scaled down a bit.   tear 

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2013, 04:13:44 PM »

Quote from: paulstraytalker on October 30, 2013, 04:10:44 PM

icon_confused. This stuff is as old as the text type games of the C64 days. Though better graphics etc. I just wished it would be scaled down a bit.   tear 

wat
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2013, 06:18:34 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 30, 2013, 04:13:44 PM

Quote from: paulstraytalker on October 30, 2013, 04:10:44 PM

wat

Translation: ::duckface emoticon:: The game is no different than a text adventure that old people used to play. But because it uses polygons, fractals, or some shit it looks slightly better than text. The game should only be playable by people with small hands. ::duckface emoticon:: ::random emoticon::
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2013, 06:31:57 PM »

I read it as: "This type of game is a bit too old-school for me, even with the improved graphics. I just wish they weren't trying to make it massively multiplayer."

Actually, scratch that last part. It could be referring to something else.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2013, 10:10:42 PM »

Apparently there is some furor on the net over there not being anything playable yet. To me the progress seems fine for any high quality game. Just having the hangar working is actually a very good start.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2013, 05:22:53 AM »

The dark side of crowdfunding is that the audience is so used to being able to play a game within a year after being announced that they think something is wrong when they can't. People are stupid.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2013, 06:35:14 AM »

Yeah, people do not realize how long it takes to make a game.

Heck, I've been on the game dev track since college, and after starting serious work on mine it still surprises me how long it takes.

Every freaking game is literally a new learning experience where you're learning to do everything over in that specific way that the game needs.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 11, 2013, 02:23:39 PM »

Nifty post from Señor Roberts on the flight model.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2013, 04:27:29 PM »

They've passed $29M and are well on their way to $30 million which they will likely hit and surpass this weekend.

Especially with the anniversary sale the have going on.

Each donor has submitted an average of just over $95 per person.  (I know I have.)

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2013, 01:02:18 PM »

The unstoppable juggernaut keeps rolling.  $30 Million Hit

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: