http://gamingtrend.com
November 25, 2014, 10:21:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Citizen, space combat simulation game (Chris Roberts' latest)  (Read 8331 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2013, 05:00:55 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on August 24, 2013, 09:30:55 PM

$16 million

Hangar module releases on the 29th.

There is going to be pretty much nothing to do, but man I can't wait to wander around my hangar, and climb in to my ships.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2013, 05:06:14 PM »

I'm mostly just looking forward to seeing what my ships look like, both inside and out. So in effect, this is going to be a kind of model viewer for me.

Is it confirmed that all purchasable ships will be available as long as you've actually purchased them, or is it just a limited selection? The mail they wrote was a little unclear.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2013, 06:01:56 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 25, 2013, 05:06:14 PM

Is it confirmed that all purchasable ships will be available as long as you've actually purchased them, or is it just a limited selection? The mail they wrote was a little unclear.

I believe the official wording is that all pledge ships and revealed variants will be available, meaning the ships that were part of a base package.  So for example there is no pledge package with a starfarer...that is only available as an add-on so it will not be in.  So off the top of my head it will be:

• Aurora and it's variants
  • 300i and it's variants
  • Hornet
  • Freelancer
  • Constellation
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2013, 06:17:31 PM »

Both my ships will be there then. Good! smile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2013, 02:45:22 AM »

Have you backers been watching the vids that are out of the hangar module, or are you waiting to see it first-hand?  Because my god, the art direction in this game is just looking awesome.  The ship models we've seen for a while, and they all seem nifty, but all the little details of the animations getting into and out of the cockpit are fantastic, as well as all the gizmos and whatsits on the pop-up HUD. 

I love how there are...

Jeez, do you need spoiler markings for a hangar?  Just in case
Spoiler for Hiden:
Some cockpit seats you have to squeeze around, some you sit in and spin around, some cockpits with seats for co-pilots... and some ships have ladders, or awkward ladders, or side ladders...

I guess it's natural that this is all an extension of those special little extra animations and graphics that made the ships in Wing Commander come alive so much, but it's still great to see it playing out.  It's also nifty seeing some of the backer stretch goals paying off already, namely the motion capture equipment they said they'd buy at X dollars (the animations look pretty great so far). 

Now all they need to do is not run out of money, and not screw up the flight model, the combat, the economy, the multiplayer, the DLC model...
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2013, 04:16:38 AM »

this strikes me as the 'Rise of Flight' of space sims. 
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2013, 05:29:11 PM »

I didn't get in on the kickstarter for this but the more stuff I read, the more excited I'm getting.  It looks very promising.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2013, 05:45:06 PM »

Found an interesting little tidbit in a gamespot video: I swear at around the 1:36 mark Chris Roberts said that yesterday (I assume that was this past weekend) that they were flying the ships around!  If so they are really making good progress.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2013, 10:09:09 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 27, 2013, 02:45:22 AM

Have you backers been watching the vids that are out of the hangar module, or are you waiting to see it first-hand?

I watched the Discount and Business Hangar videos, but not the Deluxe because I want to be surprised walking through mine.

Here's my updated ship list.  Someone please stop me.

Aurora (2)
Aurora LX
300i
315p
325a (2)
350r
Hornet
Avenger
Freelancer
Gladiator
Starfarer
M50
Constellation
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:12:26 PM by Greggy_D » Logged
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2013, 12:04:54 AM »

You're crazy! I just have my aurora frown
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2013, 01:22:51 AM »

I bought something at sometime.  I don't even know what I have, but it ain't much
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2013, 09:16:12 AM »

So can someone run down the latest on this for someone who hasn't been following this?

Is there a beta out yet for people to be buying these ships for? If not, when will they have some sort of playable release?

Has the vision changed any bit since the original kickstarter?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2013, 11:27:56 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 28, 2013, 09:16:12 AM

So can someone run down the latest on this for someone who hasn't been following this?

Is there a beta out yet for people to be buying these ships for? If not, when will they have some sort of playable release?

Has the vision changed any bit since the original kickstarter?

Tomorrow is the launch of the very first alpha, which is the hangar module.  The hangar module has all of the original pledge ships (I believe, although I am pretty sure there is no Cutlass yet) and it allows you to walk around the ships in game, board the ships and even sit in the cockpits etc...Also functional is the holographic interface for outfitting ships.  This December should see the release of the dogfighting alpha, but I am not sure of the schedule beyond that.

It is very tough to say if any bit of the vision has changed since the kickstarter as while they are being very open during development, we can't see everything that goes on and every decision made, but I would say that in general the vision has not changed.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2013, 11:58:04 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 28, 2013, 11:27:56 AM

Tomorrow is the launch of the very first alpha, which is the hangar module.  The hangar module has all of the original pledge ships (I believe, although I am pretty sure there is no Cutlass yet) and it allows you to walk around the ships in game, board the ships and even sit in the cockpits etc...Also functional is the holographic interface for outfitting ships.  This December should see the release of the dogfighting alpha, but I am not sure of the schedule beyond that.

They aren't separate releases from what I understand. The plan is supposedly for the alpha (which starts as the hangar module on its own) to get a major update every 2 months from now, with the first one being the dogfighting update.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2013, 01:07:58 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 28, 2013, 11:58:04 AM

Quote from: Arkon on August 28, 2013, 11:27:56 AM

They aren't separate releases from what I understand. The plan is supposedly for the alpha (which starts as the hangar module on its own) to get a major update every 2 months from now, with the first one being the dogfighting update.

Perhaps releases was a poor choice of words on my part. Perhaps I should have said stages.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2013, 04:22:10 AM »

D'oh! Kept wondering if I'd backed this but couldn't find any evidence of that. Just stumbled across my payment in October of last year to Cloud Imperium for my "Early Adopter" ship pledge. Just got my CI and RSI accounts set up, my pledge assigned to my account and there's stuff in My Hanger!  icon_cool

Nothing like you crazy people, but at least I have some skin in the game now.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2013, 01:20:42 PM »

I did the same thing a few weeks ago. I could swear I backed it in some way at some time but just couldn't find the email. Finally I found the right keyword and found my receipt.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2013, 11:09:17 PM »

Installer is up.  I got 5,000 space bucks for downloading it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:13:00 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2013, 11:27:40 PM »

Downloading now...the patcher is running rather smoothly...I am shocked!
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2013, 12:38:48 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 29, 2013, 11:27:40 PM

Downloading now...the patcher is running rather smoothly...I am shocked!

No shit.  I was expecting a disaster.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2013, 12:44:52 AM »

That was... boring. I suppose the bigger ships might be a bit more interesting. But... yeah.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2013, 12:49:27 AM »

I can't even get into the hangar.  I get a loading screen and then a connection error after about a minute.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2013, 01:00:20 AM »

I got the connection error once, then got it.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2013, 07:42:58 AM »

Took a quick look at my hangar before work today. Both my Origin 325a and Freelancer were there. They were more similar in size than I had expected, but their feel was very different. The Origin 325a is just what you expect, a ship with little space for moving around in and a single, reclining seat in the cockpit. You enter the ship from the side, just in front of the wing (there's doors in front of both wings), and walk through a door towards the front of the ship to reach the cockpit.

The Freelancer has much more available space inside. This one is most likely influenced by ships like Serenity, though it's not nearly as big. The back side of the ship has a ramp that can be lowered, giving access to the ship's cargo bay. It's pretty cramped and narrow in there, but you can probably stack up a sizable amount of goods. The cargo bay is separated from the rest of the ship with a door. Walking through that door, you emerge in the entry hall with some computers and access to the hatch and stairs below the ship, which is likely to be your main entrance and exit most of the time. Moving forward, the floor inclines slightly, leading you past four bunk beds with no privacy at all, and finally into the cockpit itself. Unlike the sleek aerodynamic look of the Origin 325a, the Freelancer's cockpit feels more like a bus. It's surrounded by glass windows, giving you a wide view of surrounding space. There are four chairs, with two of them reserved for the pilot and co-pilot, and two just behind these without any particular controls that I could see. Where the Origin 325a has you placed firmly in the middle of the ship, you'll end up sitting on either the left or right side when flying the Freelancer.

It'll be interesting to get to fly these things later.

Edit: Sorry, mixed up the ship names. I originally wrote Aurora where I was supposed to write Origin 325a.

Edit 2: The two backmost chairs in the cockpit actually have some kind of control console, but I don't know what it does.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:30:10 PM by TiLT » Logged
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2013, 01:18:19 PM »

I finally got in on a consistent basis by turning off Windows Firewall.  I'll give my impressions of all the ships a bit later today.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2013, 06:53:54 PM »

Buncha pics of almost every ship, inside and out

Buncha pics of the ship models being loaded into the sandbox editor in planetary environments

I particularly dig the way this cockpit interior looks with planetside lighting:
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2013, 07:47:29 PM »

OMG.  That looks GORGEOUS! 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2013, 07:58:15 PM »

This game is still far too theoretical for me to put in my own spacebucks and join the backer bandwagon, but I'm definitely joining the hype bandwagon.  I could easily see myself timing my next PC purchase to coincide with this game's launch, with an Oculus Rift purchase thrown in.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2013, 08:44:01 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 30, 2013, 06:53:54 PM

Yeah, that's the Freelancer with the bus-like interior I was talking about. smile
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2013, 12:51:56 AM »

So looking forward to this.... I'd like to have more ships but I've already put $80 into this (325a package) guess I'll just earn them in game once its out.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2013, 11:45:39 AM »

$17 million. 

BTW....the microtransactions have begun.  icon_mad   $20 for the fucking golf cart.

The credits we received in our packages are basically worthless.  1,000 UEC = $1 real life.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2013, 11:52:05 AM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on August 31, 2013, 11:45:39 AM

$17 million. 

BTW....the microtransactions have begun.  icon_mad   $20 for the fucking golf cart.

The credits we received in our packages are basically worthless.  1,000 UEC = $1 real life.

It is funny, I too am a bit shocked at the prices...which is amazing considering how much I have spent already.  All of these items will be available in game without paying real money for them...not that I want to wait.

Quote from: Chris Roberts
Ultimately all items in the store today and in game will be purchasable via UEC earned in game.

I do think they need to lower the prices a bit...the buggy is 2/3rds the cost of an Aurora.  More importantly the high prices are going to prevent widescale testing.  They need to give folks temp credits and lower prices for testing, and then do a wipe.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2013, 01:05:41 PM »

From Ben Lesnick (developer):

Hey guys - long story short, we hear you. The VD store ended up coming across pretty much exactly the opposite way we wanted. We're working out a plan right now to make this right and I will have more for you as soon as possible.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2013, 03:52:33 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on August 31, 2013, 01:05:41 PM

From Ben Lesnick (developer):

Hey guys - long story short, we hear you. The VD store ended up coming across pretty much exactly the opposite way we wanted. We're working out a plan right now to make this right and I will have more for you as soon as possible.

Glad to see they are listening...honestly I have been very impressed with the level of community interaction, and the openness of development from RSI.
StarworksArt
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2013, 02:18:44 PM »

Awesome game!
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2013, 04:33:44 PM »

Quote from: StarworksArt on September 02, 2013, 02:18:44 PM

Awesome game!

Ummm....hopefully!
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 06, 2013, 06:21:26 PM »

Just passed $18 million.  6 days after $17 million.  Unbelievable.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2013, 09:18:56 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on September 06, 2013, 06:21:26 PM

Just passed $18 million.  6 days after $17 million.  Unbelievable.

It's pretty insane, but I have to hand it to them how well they did at making something as boring as a hangar module a product that has everyone frothing at the mouth, even people like me who have been skeptical about the whole campaign.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2013, 09:48:35 PM »

So they have reduced prices in Voyager Direct thankfully.  I am not so sure what to think about the 20 million stretch goal...FPS combat on some lawless systems.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2013, 10:00:42 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 06, 2013, 09:48:35 PM

So they have reduced prices in Voyager Direct thankfully.  I am not so sure what to think about the 20 million stretch goal...FPS combat on some lawless systems.

Well... They do have all these nice ship interiors and places to walk around in, it'd be quite fun to have some first-person shooting when boarding a vehicle as a pirate for instance...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: