http://gamingtrend.com
September 04, 2015, 06:50:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Citizen, space combat simulation game (Chris Roberts' latest)  (Read 11510 times)
TK-421
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2014, 10:03:07 PM »

Organizations module dropped today.

Is there any interest in forming a GT/OO based organization?

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 22, 2014, 06:49:23 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on January 21, 2014, 10:03:07 PM

Organizations module dropped today.

Is there any interest in forming a GT/OO based organization?
Not sure how often I'll play, but I'm interested.. as I'm sure other people will be.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2014, 10:22:51 AM »

I'd be interested. I don't have any flagships though :-P
KC

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 23, 2014, 04:53:35 PM »

Does this game have an ETA yet?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 23, 2014, 05:01:20 PM »

"Early 2015" I think is the latest official word, but given that Chris Roberts doesn't answer to any publishers he's not really under any pressure to release it earlier than he thinks it's ready.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: January 23, 2014, 05:19:38 PM »

my biggest fear is that he's never going to be able to finish it, what with the rate and the amount of money thrown his way.  anyone know if there's been any independently made games with as big a budget?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 23, 2014, 05:35:21 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 23, 2014, 05:19:38 PM

my biggest fear is that he's never going to be able to finish it, what with the rate and the amount of money thrown his way.  anyone know if there's been any independently made games with as big a budget?

I think this situation is a good bit different than other kickstarters that have run out of money because the budget got bigger than they knew how to handle. 

First and foremost, Roberts always intended for this game to have a gigantic budget.  When he had more modest crowdfunding goals, he had planned to fund the game the rest of the way himself through private investors.  Now that the crowdfunding has grown to cover the private investor amounts, he can cut that part of the plan and go fully crowdfunded.  He gets more direct control over the creation, and the budget goal doesn't significantly shift.

Second, Roberts doesn't seem to be doing stupid things with his stretch goals.  Instead of stretch goals that bloat the game and make it feature creep out of the budgeted time and money, he's just adding things that he already had in mind for the game.  There were also some very prudent stretch goals that directly contributed to improving the game development, like adding a motion capture studio.  The only stretch goal I can think of so far that made me raise an eyebrow was the addition of on-planet first person combat, but even that takes advantage of the chosen game engine and the already planned ship-boarding features.

So while I still haven't put any money into this, it's not because I have any worry about the game being finished.  My main worry is just that the completed game won't be my cup of tea.  I need to at least see how the flight model and combat is going to play out before I really start frothing at the mouth.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 24, 2014, 02:28:13 PM »

Also, while not completely decided upon yet, CIG has floated the idea of a staggered release.  

They are already doing this in practice with the release of the hangar module (which allows you to view, walk around, and enter your purchased ship, assuming it's one that has been released [many ships haven't yet] as well as including a firing range for ship mounted guns) and the upcoming Dog Fighting Module which will allow for limited multiplayer combat.  After that they plan to release a planetside module for first person interaction.

The staggered release would have CIG releasing the single player game, Squadron 42, in stages.  First stage would likely be the first fifteen to twenty missions, with a second and third stage following later as the mission building is completed.  

Finally, they would release the Star Citizen Persistent Universe which is the free-form, multiplayer environment.

Now, this smacks a bit of Half Life Episodes and that whole debacle to a lot of people but, for now, I maintain faith that they will be able to stick to the plan with, hopefully, only minor delays.

Some people were upset by this release plan as many players weren't even planning to play the single player campaign and instead jump straight into the PU.  Chris Roberts even said that they were planning to allow players to bypass the single player game (with minor penalties) if they desired.

I'm not one of them as I always planned on playing Sq42 anyway and for those that want to go straight to the PU, well, they still can but they'll just have to wait longer.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 02:30:06 PM by TK-421 » Logged

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 06, 2015, 07:11:36 PM »

Some Star Citizen hulabaloo about a couple prominent executives (including a former Blizzard executive hired in 2013) leaving:
http://www.pcinvasion.com/star-citizen-executive-producer-alex-mayberry-departure-confirmed

Though I find the idea of referencing a Derek Smart (?!) blog post criticizing another developer's handling of a game and its release the most hysterical thing I've ever heard.  icon_lol Pot calling kettle...  smirk It would be like me criticizing someone else for eating too many cookies.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 07:13:55 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Guild Wars 2
-Satellite Reign (spiritually like Syndicate)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: July 06, 2015, 10:17:16 PM »

Well, development on this game has been extremely inefficient.

If you think about it, why the hell were they even working on an FPS element at this point, wasting money and dev time producing that when even a core backbone of the game mode everyone was interested wasn't even ready to test.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 10, 2015, 12:38:33 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 06, 2015, 10:17:16 PM

Well, development on this game has been extremely inefficient.

If you think about it, why the hell were they even working on an FPS element at this point, wasting money and dev time producing that when even a core backbone of the game mode everyone was interested wasn't even ready to test.

Yep, I wish they would just focus on the space sim part as thats what we backed them for as there arent very many high quality games out now in that genre, FPS's are a dime a dozen...
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 10, 2015, 02:22:44 PM »

Agreed.  I started to become a bit dismayed with development and the ever growing scope creep.  Late last year I dumped all of my ships except for the base package I purchased.  Sold them for quite a profit since each ship was tied with lifetime insurance.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:37:02 PM by Greggy_D » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: July 10, 2015, 04:55:04 PM »

This harkens back to my early days in game development, towards the end of my time in college when I was collaborating with friends and classmates on final projects, and talking about what to do after college.

Almost everyone was talking about doing something MMO and creating their engine from scratch too. Even back then I knew they were being stupid. But everyone wanted to something insane without fully understanding all that went into it. But, all these guys were very good at what they did, and we'd created some student games already that were fun.

In this case, Chris Roberts has done stuff, but never anything on this scale. Other than his previous games, he's done a mediocre job being a B movie producer since the Wing Commander movie, and you all know how strange and inefficient the world of B movie producing can be. So you have the similar mindset of people who can do an okay job making stuff, but have no sense of how large these things get. Then you throw a lot of money at them, and they suddenly think they can do everything.

I also suspect their choice of the Cryengine was also a problem. CryTek has been going through massive business problems so I doubt they've been supporting or updating their users. The engine itself has been struggling to keep up with its competitors, as they've struggled to get optimized enough to use it for more than a super high end PC game.

So you have a situation where we do know they're working on it, and they can get it done, but they've massively overscoped themselves. Thing is, we all see it happening, it doesn't take Derek Smart to point the obvious.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 10, 2015, 05:31:13 PM »

There's going to be a point where they can't sell any more $400 or $2500 ships.  The monthly expenses are going to surpass incoming funding and they will run out of cash real quick.  In other words, I think they're fucked.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 10, 2015, 09:59:35 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on July 10, 2015, 05:31:13 PM

There's going to be a point where they can't sell any more $400 or $2500 ships.  The monthly expenses are going to surpass incoming funding and they will run out of cash real quick.  In other words, I think they're fucked.

So glad I waited and didn't jump in when this games hype was getting insane.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 11, 2015, 11:57:12 AM »

Quote from: pingwrx on July 10, 2015, 09:59:35 PM

I only put $75 in right at the beginning, its hard to believe some people have dumped thousands into this.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 11, 2015, 02:43:21 PM »

Quote from: Mystic95Z on July 11, 2015, 11:57:12 AM

Quote from: pingwrx on July 10, 2015, 09:59:35 PM

I only put $75 in right at the beginning, its hard to believe some people have dumped thousands into this.

Same. $30 for me back in 2012 and nothing since.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: August 07, 2015, 06:58:00 PM »

So their big Gamescom conference was today and they highlighted Second Life: Star Citizen edition, er, the Social Module. 

It all looks very nice and slick, but after watching it, I'm falling into the  "where's the space sim you promised?/why are you spending so much time on secondary/tertiary aspects now?" camp.

They then went on to detail the FPS module and how they seemingly want to rebuild it so it isn't like every FPS game ever made.  Again, looks great, but it's insane the level of detail they are putting into it, for god knows how much benefit to the gamer. 

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2015, 08:13:40 PM »

It's interesting to see you guys getting into such an uproar based on a "movement" started by Derek Smart, of all people. I don't even know where to start explaining why that guy's opinions are untrustworthy, but maybe I can quickly sum it up by mentioning that he's gotten banned from our very own community in the past, back when we were Gone Gold? He didn't get banned for being reasonable.

This game is faaar away yet. Those of you who aren't developers yourselves are probably not used to seeing projects at this kind of early stage, and don't know what to expect. That part of the game needs rebuilding isn't a good thing for the budget, but shows that the developers are capable of ditching their own hard work if it is deemed necessary. Believe me, that's an ability that is far too rare in the world of software development, and doing so once as part of a project is not cause for concern. I've done it myself with a project that later went on and sold well to big companies.

I have seen nothing about Star Citizen that is cause for concern so far. We aren't privy to facts, if any, that might change that, since they would be internal.

So please take a cue from another epic space story: Don't panic!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: August 07, 2015, 09:58:30 PM »

if you see my last post' timestamp, it was long before Derek Smart made his comments.  I've had this fear about the game back while you were still able to buy a ship with lifetime insurance and no end to the funding campaign.  I've been following it since it was announced, despite not putting money into it.  I made a point to not buy into the hype and spend anything on a slick presentation and lofty goals. 

I very much want the game to succeed, but as a future buyer, I cannot feel a bit dismayed by when the team spends time building and designing all of these secondary systems instead of showing off what  I consider to be fun but completely optional components for what is basically a space combat and trading sim.  I have tons of respect for Chris' previous games and remember them all fondly.  I don't need to know that each and every thread of the armor my avatar is wearing was crafted as if it really existed, or that the threads in my simulated space chair was crafted with individual components for a "more realistic sitting position".  I'm exaggerating of course, but you get the drift.  The focus on the tiniest of details rather than the universe of space combat that the game started as makes me a bit weary when I see major developments in the game's side activities instead of the core. 

I did like the end of the cast where they showed off the mult-crew ships with a full combat sequence.  That's what the game needs more of imho. 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: