http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 03:04:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chibi Robo  (Read 918 times)
siege
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2006, 06:02:31 AM »

Hadn't heard of this one until today, but it looks rather interesting. Releases Feb 7th on the Gamecube.

http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=dc322774-057e-4fbe-aba6-8d7ae51d72ce

A trailer: http://media.nintendo.com/mediaFiles/e_4QnnDLdyopht2q6r9n4IAHWzh1Awlx.mov
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 06:12:51 AM »

It got a terrible review in the most current Game Informer.  I believe the review title said "If you want to play a mean trick on your kids, but them this game."  Of course, GI seems to be a little anti-Nintendo for some strange reason.  I think the game looks interesting and I will have to wait and see what other reviewers say about it.

siege

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 07:00:40 AM »

I don't trust Game Informer. I remember them saying they rated Paper Mario 2 lower because they didn't believe their audience would like it.

They are most defintely anti anything Nintendo.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 07:32:18 AM »

Well, game informer is owned by Gamestop Inc.  It's their store's officially unofficial magazine.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 08:15:48 AM »

Game Informer is a good magazine for previews and exclusives, but their reviews are terrible.  A 6.25 for Paper Mario and Digital Devil Saga 2 and 8.25 for Suikoden 4?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 02:10:50 PM »

Wake me up when they release Zelda.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 03:59:14 PM »

I've always enjoyed goofy little games like this. Well, as long as they're good goofy little games.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 07:06:11 PM »

How much do I love this game?!

As always, the test of a game that hits me just right is how long I dedicate to playing.  I played this thing last night for 4 or 5 hours, when I had promised myself just to give it a look-see and try to get back into San Andreas (a little bored with the 360, so trying to get back to Xbox games that I'm too far into to start over on the 360, should they become BC [let me move my saves, damnit!]).  Then today, promising myself to just find the giga-charger then get into San Andreas, I've played for another 2 hours.  I guess I'm addicted.

Why do I love it?

Personality, no question.  All the little things add up.  I love the music when I clean things with the toothbrush.  I love that Chibi's footsteps are musical and they change depending on where he's walking.  I love love love that Redcrest superhero guy and that I can get 25 happy points just by going on a quick patrol with him everynight.  I love Plankbeard and the Guess -Which-Eye-Will-Open con-artist.  I really love Jenny and her ribbit-speak.  I love that I'm cleaning crap up just to earn happy points and climb in the ratings so I can become Super Chibi, but also so I can get the next battery upgrade.  

The pacing of the game is just perfect to me.  It inspires me to keep playing, just to complete the next goal, but another goal comes up that makes me want to keep going.  I was worried when I heard about the day/night cycle that there was going to be a time pressure thing like with Pikmin, but no.  You play at your own pace.  I bought a time upgrade for a pittance that gives me ample time in a cycle to get nearly everything done that I need to.  But if it feels like to much, I can pay another pittance to speed things up again.

There are collectables, but most of them are random money/happy-givers.  For the permanent ones, however, if you're like me and are addicted to finding everything, there's a tally on the map screen for the number of Chibi doors in a room.  That'll be fun knocking off.  Finding the frog rings for Jenny is a lot of fun, too.

I wish the graphics were a little more up to date, but they're still charming and get the job done.  And if you don't like typical Nintendo babble-speak,  you'll have a hard time with this, but I find it amusing (however, it's not amusing that you can't speed through the dialogue).

Anyway, I love this game.  For me, it was worth the $50, but I don't think I could recommend that price for everyone.  I was expecting it to be $30, though even at $40 I would give it a look.  Renting is a good idea because it may not click with everyone the way it has with me.  It really has with me.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 08:25:45 PM »

Sounds great, I gotta give this a rental when I find myself bored with the current gaming crop.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 01:58:37 AM »

IGN liked it.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 05:31:25 AM »

Now for the DS!

Chibi-Robo: Park Patrol

http://ds.ign.com/articles/706/706242p1.html

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 12:09:24 PM »

i watched my nephew play this game and it was decent.  I think I would be more inclined to get it on the DS.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: