http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 07:40:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing your gamertag...  (Read 1172 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2011, 12:37:51 AM »

Outside of people wanting to change their online tags to something offensive, what makes the regular gamer want to change their online gamertag?  If you get to know someone by their tag, for me it really messes me up when an online friend changes their tag to something else.  I know Harkonis as Harkonis.  If he were to change his name to BirthdayKittyCupcake or something it would really be difficult to make the moniker adjustment.

For example, does anyone know who "Kitten0Death" is?  It has been driving me crazy as I haven't accepted any new friend invites, which means it must be someone I already had on my list who changed their name.  Problem is, I have no idea who that might be.   saywhat

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 01:59:23 AM »

I have a friend list full of people from both here and OO, but there a lot that I don't know any more because names have changed over time.  I definitely agree that it can be confusing, and I have removed people in the past just because I don't know who they are and we haven't played together for a long time.  Personally, I have no desire to make a significant change in my gamertag and don't think that I ever will...with the exception of a small change to rid my name of the numbers I've tacked on to the end if 'disarm' ever becomes available again.  I had to tack something extra onto my gamertag because the plain name is still linked to someone from the original Xbox Live service despite it never being used on the 360 icon_mad

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 03:05:35 AM »

there were/are a couple of guys here that always change their tags at the same time, and they do it frequently.  They also are no longer on my friends list.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 05:46:05 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 05, 2011, 03:05:35 AM

there were/are a couple of guys here that always change their tags at the same time, and they do it frequently.  They also are no longer on my friends list.

I'm getting to that point as well.  If you change your name and don't tell anyone, how are we to know who you are? 

Still don't know who Kitten0Death is.   icon_confused

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 05:47:47 AM »

He appears to be one of our wacky Danes.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 04:19:36 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 05, 2011, 12:37:51 AM

I know Harkonis as Harkonis.  If he were to change his name to BirthdayKittyCupcake or something it would really be difficult to make the moniker adjustment.

Yeah, but wouldn't it be awesome to hear the reaction of folks who get killed a dozen times in a ten minute round by "BirthdayKittyCupcake"? icon_biggrin

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 04:20:10 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on November 05, 2011, 04:19:36 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 05, 2011, 12:37:51 AM

I know Harkonis as Harkonis.  If he were to change his name to BirthdayKittyCupcake or something it would really be difficult to make the moniker adjustment.

Yeah, but wouldn't it be awesome to hear the reaction of folks who get killed a dozen times in a ten minute round by "BirthdayKittyCupcake"? icon_biggrin

consider me tempted...
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 09:09:46 PM »

Lol I'm kitten0death. Used to be metaldiaper. I honestly thought live let people know that I changed my gamer tag, I'm sorry frown. I changed it because I've always hated metaldiaper. Although kitten0death has lost its charm for me, I'll be keeping it.

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 09:12:13 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 05, 2011, 05:47:47 AM

WHAT IN THE HELL!! I live in Massachusetts  saywhat

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 10:14:27 PM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on November 05, 2011, 09:09:46 PM

Lol I'm kitten0death. Used to be metaldiaper. I honestly thought live let people know that I changed my gamer tag, I'm sorry frown. I changed it because I've always hated metaldiaper. Although kitten0death has lost its charm for me, I'll be keeping it.

Yay, glad to know that!  I saw DeathKitten in my Steam friends list a couple months ago and honestly had no idea who it was.  Tongue

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 10:38:41 PM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on November 05, 2011, 09:12:13 PM

Then either that's not your Steam profile and someone else is known as kitten0death too, or you need to do some updating. smile

Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 11:20:12 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 05, 2011, 10:38:41 PM

Quote from: Louis Cypher on November 05, 2011, 09:12:13 PM

Then either that's not your Steam profile and someone else is known as kitten0death too, or you need to do some updating. smile
Its mine alright. Someone has been messing around it seems.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 11:35:24 PM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on November 05, 2011, 09:09:46 PM

yay one more on my list i can honestly say i know who they are now(i have loads on there,i haven't got the foggiest because people change their name),i actually thought Calvin had changed his tag,but it seems he has more likely taken himself off my list...and why does that guy not post on here anymore?

there is a reason why i would change a gamertag,i have 'Orphanusa' which is my USA gamertag...and it was pointed out to me that it contains the word 'anus'  disgust Tongue...but not paying 800 space bucks to change it now

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 03:23:44 AM »

Go with JapanUSRelations (for 800, Trebek!)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 05:15:56 PM »

I had to change mine after it got hacked for the 4th time and they gave me the 800 points to change it.

Sucks, but I really had no choice.  icon_frown

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 05:36:07 PM »

I've thought about changing mine, just because I have gamed with a lot of OO/GT people, and my gamertag "JNacht" has absolutely nothing to do with "Boudreaux".  I just didn't give my gamertag a lot of thought.  Boudreaux was already taken, and I abhor the variations like /Boudreaux\ or **Boudreaux** or Boudreaux9372 so I went with the other.

It wasn't until awhile later that I realized people who knew me as Boudreaux on various forums were probably going "who the hell is JNacht?".  

On the other hand, I have no problem keeping Isgrimnur/Hadron Smasher straight, so maybe it's not a big deal.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 05:38:19 PM by Boudreaux » Logged

XBox Live:  JNacht
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 05:48:39 PM »

Quote from: Boudreaux on November 06, 2011, 05:36:07 PM

I've thought about changing mine, just because I have gamed with a lot of OO/GT people, and my gamertag "JNacht" has absolutely nothing to do with "Boudreaux".  I just didn't give my gamertag a lot of thought.  Boudreaux was already taken, and I abhor the variations like /Boudreaux\ or **Boudreaux** or Boudreaux9372 so I went with the other.

It wasn't until awhile later that I realized people who knew me as Boudreaux on various forums were probably going "who the hell is JNacht?".  

On the other hand, I have no problem keeping Isgrimnur/Hadron Smasher straight, so maybe it's not a big deal.

I also have no issues remembering that Isgrimnur is the Hardon Smasher, and I haven't had any problem remembering that you're JNacht, especially since I still call you "Boudreaux" whenever we play together anyway, but that's because these names have stuck from the start.  The random changes that take place after you've gotten to know a gamertag cause me more fits than differentiating between gamertags vs. forum names.  Isgrimnur has always been the Hardon Smasher, but if he were to randomly change to something else then I'd probably continue to know him as his preceding alias.

It's not that I have a serious problem with people changing their online names, but it would help if you told us in some way, such as using your quote option on Live to list what your name used to be or something.  Otherwise I think if you become unknown on someone's friends list you risk being dropped.

It's like this Daylight Savings nonsense.  I sat down to watch football at the usual 10am start time only to find that it would be another hour before kickoff.   saywhat  Feel free to change your clocks, regardless of how archaic the tradition has become, but at least tell the rest of us who don't change our clocks that you've messed things up in your usual biannual manner.   disgust

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 05:55:18 PM »

We can't all live in the DST-free zone that is AZ.  Tongue

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 07:25:13 PM »

I used to,  then the establishment ripped it out from under me
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 04:05:29 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 06, 2011, 07:25:13 PM

I used to,  then the establishment ripped it out from under me

damn you establishment!!!!!!!     

:RAGEFIST

MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 04:13:05 AM »

Gah, I loathe how in Steam everyone changes their nicks at the drop of the hat, making me rely on profile pic alone, and even then I may confuse a person or two...bleh.

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2011, 07:22:16 PM »

Wait, it's HAD-RON?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 03:09:12 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 07, 2011, 07:22:16 PM

Wait, it's HAD-RON?

Nope, HARD-ON.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 03:30:50 PM »

Quote from: WalkingFumble on November 09, 2011, 03:09:12 PM

Quote from: Purge on November 07, 2011, 07:22:16 PM

Wait, it's HAD-RON?

Nope, HARD-ON.

You took the funny right out of that. crybaby

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 03:39:09 PM »

Which is why I let it lie. 

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 04:02:44 PM »

Grim,

The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: