http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 04:07:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CGW..or if you must call it GfW is no more  (Read 2977 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2008, 07:11:48 PM »

Bye bye Jeff and crew. ill miss CGW. frown

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8693249&publicUserId=5380367

Well, goddamn. Here's a post I hoped I'd never have to write. As you no doubt know by now, we're closing Games for Windows magazine. We will get to the "positive" to be gleaned from all this in a moment. Because there actually is some to be had, and it's not even just "spin." But, that said, you will all have to forgive me if I first take a moment to express what I know many of you are feeling right now: This blows. This is tough. This is just not in any way "good news."

For me personally, the closing of Games for Windows: The Official Magazine is not just a business decision (though, obviously it's exactly that in reality), but feels more akin, in fact, to the passing of a loved one. Drama much? Well, you can scoff if you want, but the fact of the matter is that I have poured my heart and soul into this magazine, month after month after month, for over 10 years now. Every four weeks for 10 years I have done my best to get a quality magazine out the door, and the fact that I don't have that deadline now is not in any way, despite the temptation to go for gallows humor, a source of relief. It feels like a giant gaping hole in my life.

Well that didn't take as long as I predicted after the name change. Sucks bad. CGW was my favorite magazine since about 1990. I had so many collected and then lost in the great barn disaster of 2002 or so. Ill miss those guys and that mag and it's memories. Saw it coming though. Once they changed names the writing was on the wall.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 07:25:11 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 07:13:42 PM »

One could speculate that all print magazines are ultimately destined to close at some point.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 07:20:59 PM »

Im really going to miss Tom vs Bruce frown Just like Ive always missed Scorpia.

Now what am I gonna lug to the toilet to read?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 07:22:37 PM by Daehawk » Logged

TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 07:22:18 PM »

umm wow thanks for the heads up. I am staring at a renew sub card I have filled out but I havent mailed so I guess that goes into the garbage.  So whats left PC Gamer?

Well now that 1up doesnt have a magazine, maybe they can make their website managable and readable.  Its a MESS.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 07:23:20 PM »

Sad news but I'm happy that this doesn't mean unemployment for Jeff Green and crew (who are my favorite members of 1Up). 
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 07:31:28 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 08, 2008, 07:13:42 PM

One could speculate that all print magazines are ultimately destined to close at some point.

Indeed.  I doubt the name change had much to do with it.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 07:50:14 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 08, 2008, 07:20:59 PM

I wonder if I could coordinate with Tom and get something together for a Tom vs. Ron kinda thing....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
tgb1.1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 08:06:25 PM »

Wow.  I go back to Vol 1 Issue 1 - The Russell Sipe days (pre Johnny Wilson, even), when it read like it was written for adults.  I haven't kept up with it lately (other than a free 3-month subscription that came with something I bought), but it does feel like the end of an era.

"My performance in Postal as 'Nazi Theme Park Owner' outperforms easily Ben Kingsley in Schindler's List!" - Uwe Boll
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 08:06:59 PM »

I think I just got a free subscription to that.  Damn spam.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 08:08:22 PM »

I think Purge hit the nail on the head, unless a subscription is bundled somehow I don't see many print magazines lasting much longer. The ones that are smart will forge a business deal that will give them a relationship similar to Game Informer and GameStop, where not only are subscriptions included in membership but coupons as well.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 08:11:55 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 08:10:28 PM »

Cross-post from QT3:

This really sucks. I've been listening to the podcast for about a year now, maybe even longer. I just now subscribed to the magazine and got, what I thought was my first issue, the Sims 3 one. I loved it, and was very glad I finally subscribed. And now...

I used to have a CGW subscription a few years ago. I always liked it more than PC Gamer (who hasn't seen a subscription from me in a long time now). Ah well. Now I've got nothing to read.

I am SO glad to hear the guys are staying at 1up and especially that the podcast is sticking around. I love that podcast to death. Looks like I'm going to have to actually start reading 1up now and not just going there to get my podcasts.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 08:17:58 PM »

Quote from: tgb1.1 on April 08, 2008, 08:06:25 PM

Wow.  I go back to Vol 1 Issue 1 - The Russell Sipe days (pre Johnny Wilson, even), when it read like it was written for adults.  I haven't kept up with it lately (other than a free 3-month subscription that came with something I bought), but it does feel like the end of an era.

The one with the floppy disk and dragon on the cover?

I need to add 1up to my bookmarks I guess. I hardly used it before because it was such a cluttered nonsensical mess. Now maybe it will be better.

You guys might like to visit The CGW Museum

tgb1.1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 08:31:53 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 08, 2008, 08:17:58 PM

Quote from: tgb1.1 on April 08, 2008, 08:06:25 PM

The one with the floppy disk and dragon on the cover?

I need to add 1up to my bookmarks I guess. I hardly used it before because it was such a cluttered nonsensical mess. Now maybe it will be better.

You guys might like to visit The CGW Museum

That's the one.  CGW Museum is cool. I can't remember the URL right now, but there is also an archive of old Antics and STart's somewhere on line.  If you want to read some of the most poorly-written game reviews in the industry, check out the amaterursh outpouring of Harvey Bernstein.

"My performance in Postal as 'Nazi Theme Park Owner' outperforms easily Ben Kingsley in Schindler's List!" - Uwe Boll
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 08:32:06 PM »

Thanks for that link. I was just looking through the covers around the time I had my last subscription, and came upon this. What is this "free playable version of the original Everquest"? Was it on the cd? What on earth was it? It doesn't sound like a free trial thing, but perhaps that's what it is.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 09:08:02 PM »

I think they gave away the Everquest client for free on the disc, but you still had to subscribe and pay in order to play it.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 09:23:39 PM »

wow, this sucks.  i still have some months left in my sub too.  i skimmed the post, but didn't see an exact date of last issue, so i assume it's dead today and there won't be a next one.

while they may have had their problems, i liked getting the mag to read every month.  after the free year ended, i was seriously considering renewing, and i can't say that about the other two freebies i have (egm and oxm)

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 09:43:30 PM »

Talk about timing. My mom and aunt were doing a "forced Spring cleaning" of my computer room. I kept pulling out stacks of old magazines and saying "Yeah, I don't need this crap anymore" and marking them for tossing.

And then I saw a milk crate full of 1992-1995 Computer Gaming Worlds and issues raving about X-COM, Doom, X-Wing, and Crusader: No Remorse. *Change of Heart* "Nooooooo, these I can't let go of just yet."  icon_smile

I hate to say "I told you so," but I was lamenting to folks on other boards a year ago that GFW had shrunk well below 100 or even 90 or 80 pages on occasion. It was so wispy, you could read it in about 2 minutes at a bookstore rack. I couldn't see how it could keep surviving in the state that it's in. People kept telling me they had "re-done the format" and that's why it was so tiny, but you just can't survive on that little advertising revenue.

The sad thing is how little game-related advertising (with so many franchises going multi-platform, there really are fewer and fewer PC-only games advertised, outside of MMOs) was in some issues. If it wasn't for all the gamer PC boutiques advertising, some issues would've been almost bereft of ads (yeah I know, we'd all love that, but you can't stay in business with a no-ads-in-your-magazine model icon_neutral).

I'm sure they're going to lather up "going to the Web" as the smart thing to do, but I work in print magazines myself and it's the high priced color print advertising that pays my paycheck and keeps us in business -- the advertising in the e-mail newsletter I work in is more of a supplementary income for us by comparison. I already saw this happen to too many publications ("Hey let's go online only! Oh wait, we can't make enough money from blinking banner ads to pay everybody! Oops!"  disgust). I know though they're part of a larger overall network, and I hope it does well enough for the staffers to keep working in the long term. smile

P.S. Oh these days my favorite PC gaming mag is the UK import, "Total PC Gaming," which is big, beautiful and probably seems horribly overpriced ($8.99 or $9.99 I think in U.S. bookstores) but at least that's because it's on oversized pages, not because of a useless DVD-pack in. Enjoy it before Imagine Publishing comes to its senses.  icon_lol
http://www.totalpcgaming.com/
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 10:07:54 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
tgb1.1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »

Ah, the Golden Age:

biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 10:15:04 PM »

It's sad to see it go like that... even they claim it has nothing to do with them losing money.

Anyway, so PC Gamer is only US PC game mag left?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 10:18:16 PM »

Wow - That's the most spectacularly hideous magazine cover I've ever seen.  I can still remember reading the preview of Daggerfall (not sure if it was in CGW, but I think so) and being disappointed because it required 8 MB of RAM, and I only had 4.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 10:39:21 PM »

Yeah, I saw they're retaining ther edit staff, but of course by exclusion it can almost be inferred that everyone else is pretty much waving in the wind.

It hurts to see something like this happen to a great magazine and staff, but I guess that's the reality of the market we live in.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 11:05:15 PM »

Wow, that's kind of disturbing.  No wonder they kept sending me renewal notices lately.  I wonder if they are going to refund people who just subscribed or just swallow the cash and run.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 11:29:25 PM »

There goes my bathroom reading. 
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 11:30:12 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 08, 2008, 07:50:14 PM

I wonder if I could coordinate with Tom and get something together for a Tom vs. Ron kinda thing....

Who's Ron Tongue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 11:35:06 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 08, 2008, 09:43:30 PM

I'm sure they're going to lather up "going to the Web" as the smart thing to do, but I work in print magazines myself and it's the high priced color print advertising that pays my paycheck and keeps us in business -- the advertising in the e-mail newsletter I work in is more of a supplementary income for us by comparison. I already saw this happen to too many publications ("Hey let's go online only! Oh wait, we can't make enough money from blinking banner ads to pay everybody! Oops!"  disgust). I know though they're part of a larger overall network, and I hope it does well enough for the staffers to keep working in the long term. smile

From what I recall hearing in various Ziff Davis bankruptcy threads, the online section is one of the few areas of Ziff Davis that does okay.  I'd expect EGM to go under before 1Up.com. 
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 12:05:27 AM »

Definitely sad news. I have very fond memories of reading this magazine when I was just a kid.

If anyone is looking for a quality gaming magazine to replace GFW, look no further than EDGE. It's based in England so the subscription is pricey ($100 or about $8 per issue) but so totally worth it. Gorgeous design, great writing, interesting features... I've found that the cost of the subscription was worth it simply to reignite my enthusiasm for gaming magazines which has diminished so greatly over the past few years.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008, 02:29:16 AM »

A shiny new laptop?

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2008, 06:05:42 PM »

I think I have some precious 1992-1995 or so issues I might see if I can photog some later, though I guess there's a Web site that has all the cover images.

I'd wax about CGW, but I guess there was already a lot of that back when it became Games for Windows. To me, the whole Games for Windows branding has mostly been a flop (or at the best, pretty pointless). The ballyhooed "kiosks" never seemed to take shape at any store I've seen (Best Buys in my area briefly grouped GFW-labeled games but they don't seem to bother anymore now). With my aging PC, seeing the "Games for Windows" logo on the box has generally proven more a reason to Fear the Unknown... Tongue

More and more I just don't bother reading/buying U.S. print mags anymore. I far more enjoy reading the UK mags EDGE and gamesTM (multi-platform) or Total PC Gaming, and PC Zone (PC). I think there's also a UK PC Gamer that's pretty cool (totally separate staff than the U.S. mag, and larger paper). If you really need dead-tree reading (even just something to skim at a bookstore for a while), I recommend all of those in particular. Borders usually has EDGE and Total PC Gaming; Barnes & Noble usually seems to have gamesTM, Total PC Gaming and sometimes PC Zone.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 06:10:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2008, 06:07:53 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 09, 2008, 06:05:42 PM

More and more I just don't bother reading/buying U.S. print mags anymore. I far more enjoy reading the UK mags EDGE and gamesTM (multi-platform) or Total PC Gaming, and PC Zone (PC). If you really need dead-tree reading, I recommend all of those in particular.

While EDGE > All, GfW has been some pretty good reading for the past year.  I usually can't muster up the enthusiasm to do more than look at the cover of PC Gamer most months, but I still typically would read almost the entire issue of GfW. 
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2008, 06:49:36 PM »

This sucks.  CGM then GFW.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2008, 07:06:07 PM »

Definitely bummed by the news. I was buying CGW magazines since the late 80's, so tough to see it go.  icon_cry

I'll have to pick through select issues to save with my other defunct magazines before throwing any others away. "CGW meet Family Computing. Family Computing meet the new guy CGW."
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2008, 10:05:08 PM »

You guys should listen to the latest podcast.
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2008, 12:53:45 PM »

crybaby Ironically i mysteriously started receiving this a few months back...and i believe it was a replacement for Computer Games which was canceled 1 issue after I subscribed!!

So now there's no good PC gaming mags left to read on the can?

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Hrnac
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2008, 05:39:40 PM »

Aw man this sucks.  icon_frown

Now all I have left is PC Gamer which is fine, but I really liked having 2 game magazines to read.

-Hrnac

Never do today what can be done tomorrow.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2008, 12:31:54 AM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on April 09, 2008, 02:29:16 AM

A shiny new laptop?

iPhone?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
dreadcal
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2008, 03:16:40 AM »

Quote from: Purge on April 08, 2008, 07:13:42 PM

I don't think print will ever go away. Sometimes, a print mag is just easier to read then pulling out the laptop and sitting down to read. Plus, the features can oftentimes go more in-depth, simply because they have a longer timeline and aren't pushed to put out news and info every single day. Internet time isn't conducive to "deep" features, though it is good if you like straight-up news.
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2008, 03:44:32 AM »

I suppose I can tear up the check I was going to send off.
At least it wasn't like Computer Games, where I'd just sent them a check about 6 weeks before they closed shop. I'm really gonna have to think twice before re-subscribing to any more PC mags. I think my new rule of thumb is: Less than 100 pages = no new subscription.
Damn shame. I was just starting to dig the magazine too. It was really improving, IMO.

Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2008, 03:48:14 AM »

Quote from: Hrnac on April 10, 2008, 05:39:40 PM

Now all I have left is PC Gamer which is fine, but I really liked having 2 game magazines to read.

-Hrnac

Yeah, I can remember back in the late 90's when I subscribed to all of the big 3 PC gaming magazines, and read them all from cover to cover, and STILL couldn't get enough.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2008, 03:58:47 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 09, 2008, 06:07:53 PM

GfW has been some pretty good reading for the past year.  I usually can't muster up the enthusiasm to do more than look at the cover of PC Gamer most months, but I still typically would read almost the entire issue of GfW. 

Really?  I thought it was fucknormously awful.

gellar
Hrnac
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2008, 05:37:59 PM »

Quote from: Giles Habibula on April 13, 2008, 03:48:14 AM

Quote from: Hrnac on April 10, 2008, 05:39:40 PM

-Hrnac

Yeah, I can remember back in the late 90's when I subscribed to all of the big 3 PC gaming magazines, and read them all from cover to cover, and STILL couldn't get enough.

I still miss Computer Games Strategy Plus.

-Hrnac

Never do today what can be done tomorrow.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: