http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 10:53:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night to the 360?  (Read 1933 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: August 04, 2006, 02:24:50 AM »

Yes, one of the best sidescrollers ever is a confirmed 360 Live Arcade title sometime this winter according to IGN:

Fans of the first PlayStation's vampire shredding Castlevania: Symphony of the Night will be glad to know the game is soon to make a reemergence. According to what Konami told us today, SotN will be releasing onto the Xbox Live Arcade sometime this winter. Whether that means it'll show up late this year or early in 2007, Konami couldn't say. Microsoft's approval process for products appearing on Xbox Live is somewhat extensive, so it's difficult to pin down an exact date.

In terms of price or extra features offered in the Xbox Live Arcade version, Konami wouldn't say, other than they're working on it. Fans of the PS1's platforming classic will be happy to know that more details will be revealed later this month at a Konami event. Until then, we'll keep you updated on any more developments.

(full text posted because I can biggrin )

So, thoughts? I for one am excited, as it was going to be one of the few PS1 games I rebuy for my PSP.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 02:42:24 AM »

dude
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 03:13:12 AM »

Pretty cool. I'd rather that Konami create a new console 2-D Castlevania, but re-releasing SotN is not a bad step. Perhaps enough people will buy it that big wigs will release that 2-D shouldn't just be for the hand-helds.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 03:46:27 AM »

I'll be all over this!  Cool

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 04:01:11 AM »

So this one is 2-D? If so...IN!

My son and I love Castlevania on DS and have the upcoming one preordered.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 04:48:42 AM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
So this one is 2-D? If so...IN!

Oh heck yeah. This is what most fans consider the best 2D Castlevania game out there. Visit here for Gamespot's review of the game when it came out back in '97.

Now, what I want to know is if Konami will take some of the goodies from the Saturn version (Maria as a playable character and a new dungeon area or two) and inject them into this game or not. That would make this otherwise great game even better.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 05:36:42 AM »

Thats awesome!  I've wanted to play through this game for quite some time but I never got around to it.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 11:47:52 AM »

Live Arcade keeps getting better and better.  First classic arcade games, now classic console games, and this fall, we start getting originals too.  It's amazing just how much they're managing to line up for release; hopefully it's enough to keep one title a week going through the end of the year.

Seriously, I think that if they can keep lining up publishers to release stuff like this, and have a decent amount out by the PS3's general availability, it will be a bigger factor in the 360 vs. PS3 debate than anyone thinks.  It's already about the size of the retail game library, and if they can double that with quality games, it's going to go far to establishing the value of the cheaper console.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 02:34:37 PM »

I've been more bored by the classic arcade games than I was expecting, but if we start seeing more classic console games, I will so be there.  I basically missed the consoles from the SNES to PS1 (and most of PS2, for that matter), so I'm all over this and the Wii's back catalogue.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 02:59:58 PM »

I never got around to playing that one, though I have played every other 2D Castlevania.  Now, I can correct that mistake.  Man, I love me some Castlevania.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 05:22:17 PM »

Meh.  Not a big castlevania fan.  

That said, I'm sure Moriarty will hold a gun to my head until I get it :lol:

Not a m-60 though, they frown on those being on campus for some reason.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 06:38:16 PM »

Besides, a deagle will make you just as dead.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 03:01:06 AM »

This is amazing news.  Not just because it's a great game, but because this is the kind of thing I've been waiting to hear when it comes to Live Arcade.  I enjoy the old school Galaga and Contra, but I'm really excited to hear of a more modern classic hitting the service.  Great news indeed!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 04:35:55 AM »

I just read some quote in Play or OXM from the guy who heads up XBLA literally saying, "We don't want your crappy ass PS1 games."

I'm paraphrasing, but I do think a combination of "crappy" and "ass" was in there.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 05:17:42 AM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
I just read some quote in Play or OXM from the guy who heads up XBLA literally saying, "We don't want your crappy ass PS1 games."

I'm paraphrasing, but I do think a combination of "crappy" and "ass" was in there.

Hopefully it was something like, "We are adding some kick ass PS1 games before people get sick of the crappy 2600 ports."

Either that or he was quietly reassigned to the Microsoft Bob 2.0 team.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 05:29:50 AM »

Either that or he was quietly reassigned to the Microsoft Bob 2.0 team.

Huzzah for the comedy, my friend.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 04:45:45 PM »

According to Gamerscore, a blog done by Microsoft, this will finally be released this Wednesday.  Rock on!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 04:59:05 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 16, 2007, 04:45:45 PM

According to Gamerscore, a blog done by Microsoft, this will finally be released this Wednesday.  Rock on!

Finally!

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 04:59:50 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 16, 2007, 04:45:45 PM

Yep, announcement going up shortly.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 05:09:42 PM »

Awesome!  I never had a chance to play this game so I'm excited at this opportunity.  Hopefully it will live up to the mega-hype.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 05:13:17 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on March 16, 2007, 05:09:42 PM

Awesome!  I never had a chance to play this game so I'm excited at this opportunity.  Hopefully it will live up to the mega-hype.

It can't live up to mega-hype, but it really is a fun cross between Castlevania and Metroid. FWIW, I'm picking this up and replaying it even though I've played it through on the PS1. icon_wink The Achievements make for a fun excuse to replay the title!

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 05:48:59 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on March 16, 2007, 05:13:17 PM

It can't live up to mega-hype, but it really is a fun cross between Castlevania and Metroid. FWIW, I'm picking this up and replaying it even though I've played it through on the PS1. icon_wink The Achievements make for a fun excuse to replay the title!

What? The game most definitely lives up to the mega-hype. It's not called the best side-scroller platformer ever without a good reason.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 05:55:07 PM »

Hit the front page, there are a few new upgrades for this one as well.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 06:00:22 PM »

Man, I won't have the money to buy points for this until next friday frown

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 06:01:09 PM »

So much praise for this title...I guess I have to give it a shot to see what the hoopla's all about.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 06:06:37 PM »

Its an amazing title and one of the landmarks of 2D gaming, but don't let us sell it as the be all, end all of games. Its not THAT good, its just really good smile

Dont hate us if you don't adore it  icon_smile
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 06:19:40 PM »

• Play the original  version of the game or experience it in enhanced mode with improved graphics and modernized audio and sound effects.
  • New native widescreen and high-definition support.
  • Earn up to 12 Achievements and 200 Gamerscore points.

NICE!  After paying $5 for that turd TMNT, this sounds like it will be an immediate impulse buy.  I can't remember the last time I played a worthwhile 2D side-scroller, and from word of mouth this game sounds like a must-have.  Plus, if I was willing to play $10 for Worms, this is a no-brainer for me.  I can't even begin to fathom just how much I've spent on the Live Marketplace already, but with titles like Marble Blast Ultra, Geometry Wars, Worms, and now this, it has all definitely been worth it.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2007, 07:28:54 PM »

Nice... I was expecting it to be 1200 points at least.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2007, 10:49:02 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 16, 2007, 05:48:59 PM

What? The game most definitely lives up to the mega-hype. It's not called the best side-scroller platformer ever without a good reason.

For me, it's right up there with Super Metroid vying for that title. However, it is possible for a game to be over-hyped over time. I personally think it lives up to its reputation, but I'm a sucker for that style of game. icon_wink

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2007, 07:07:26 AM »

damn,i am gonna have no more points when the oblivion download does finally come out
last week turtles,this week coming castlevania.....double dragon on the horizon as well(rumours only...but i have read the review  8/10)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2007, 07:38:07 AM »

I'm glad to see that they did some graphical improvements.  I have a hard time going back to some of these 2D games when the main characters seem to have 3 frames of animation.  Hopefully that is one of the things they upgraded.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2007, 08:28:04 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 17, 2007, 07:07:26 AM

damn,i am gonna have no more points when the oblivion download does finally come out
last week turtles,this week coming castlevania.....double dragon on the horizon as well(rumours only...but i have read the review  8/10)

i've been saving my points in anticipation of downloads for Guitar Hero II...but this might get me to part with a few...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2007, 01:27:25 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 17, 2007, 07:38:07 AM

I'm glad to see that they did some graphical improvements.  I have a hard time going back to some of these 2D games when the main characters seem to have 3 frames of animation.  Hopefully that is one of the things they upgraded.

Castlevania: SoTN always had lots of animation for its attacks, and movement in general. Take a real close look at his cloak when you move around, and you'll see what I mean.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2007, 03:30:50 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 17, 2007, 01:27:25 PM

Castlevania: SoTN always had lots of animation for its attacks, and movement in general. Take a real close look at his cloak when you move around, and you'll see what I mean.

I'll ditto this; SotN had some of the best 2d animation I've ever seen in a video game. Very slick, very detailed. And the soundtrack is still one of the best ever too. icon_biggrin

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2007, 04:25:10 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on March 17, 2007, 03:30:50 PM

Quote from: Destructor on March 17, 2007, 01:27:25 PM

I'll ditto this; SotN had some of the best 2d animation I've ever seen in a video game. Very slick, very detailed. And the soundtrack is still one of the best ever too. icon_biggrin

Well, the only recent footage I've seen of the game (over here) still looks pretty stilted and non-fluid to me.  That standing jump and swing of the whip is just painful. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: