http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2016, 09:54:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GOTY 2015  (Read 608 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2015, 04:35:12 PM »

When I eventually get to FO4, I'm sure it will retroactively be my GOTY for 2015.  As it stands now though the answer is simple: Black Ops 3.

It has returned the MP to where the franchise needs to be after Ghosts (which I liked a lot) and Advanced Warfare (which was garbage garbage garbage).  The guns feel good. The movement feels good. The abilities are excellent (for the most part) and I have played it more out of the gate than any other MP game ever.  Really really pleased with it.

Black Ops 3: Gamingtrend's Forum Poster ATB's Game of the Year.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 04:48:00 PM »

The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt wins hands down for me.   It might be my favorite game of all time.  The side stories were so much better than anything else I played this year that I still think about some of the choices and if I am happy with the outcome.  

*numbers are hard.*
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 08:17:31 PM by farley2k » Logged

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 05:02:59 PM »

Bloodborne
Rocket League
MGSV
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 02:52:31 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 05:41:26 PM »

The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt - Probably the best rpg for me since BG2 and runner up is Fallout 4.   I keep trying to push forward but the side stuff keeps pulling me away

I would love to put in Halo 5 but as much as I like the game I hated being forced to play Locke.   I really had no interest in Team Osiris

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
SeaMoosi
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Reader

I am the stone that the builder refused

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 06:32:48 PM »

Wish I could post mine but that would spoil all the fun of next week. biggrin

I can say for sure though, our lists this year are very diverse and have some really interesting choices, especially in the categories. It was a real good year for games.

Gaming Trend Lead Editor
Want to play a game? Send a request!
Steam/PSN/XBL/LoL/everything: SeaMoosi
Tweet @seamoosi
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 06:47:17 PM »

The Witcher 3 is my GotY.  All of my issues are technical.  Large, believable world, multiple endings to quests, fun combat and gameplay mechanics.  Stays solid throughout without breaking down at the end.  Satisfying storyline.

Runner ups

Fallout 4.  Closest to GotY but interface/UI/reduced dialog kills it.  Fewer ways to resolve quests/take sides. 

Batman Arkham Knight.  Great story, fun, if rote standard combat, car combat that gets deeper but doesn't become great.

MGS V:  Probably the best open world stealth action game ever made, but the story takes a massive bad turn in the last third, alongside a bad decision to force replaying missions as part of the story progression.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 06:57:25 PM »

Witcher 3 was easily the best game I played this year.

I also really liked Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition (PS4).
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 07:08:58 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on December 21, 2015, 04:48:00 PM

The Witcher 2: The Wild Hunt wins hands down for me.   It might be my favorite game of all time.  The side stories were so much better than anything else I played this year that I still think about some of the choices and if I am happy with the outcome. 

You must not liked this game that much considering you said Witcher 2 Tongue
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 07:37:26 PM »

It's likely going to be Witcher 3 as I don't see anything overtaking it. Rise of the Tomb Raider will be a solid second. Lots of games with things to like will fill out the rest including Fallout 4, MGSV, Ori and the Blind Forest, Xenoblade, Dying Light, Life is Strange and BLOPS (mostly for the value it offers). I don't know if it counts in the GT GOTY, but Darksiders 2 Deathinitive will probably get a top 5 spot in my full submission for the NeoGAF GOTY thread. I just had a lot of fun with that game.

I'll hopefully also get Undertale in before the deadline, but I don't know if I will be falling for the hype.

I unfortunately won't be getting Pillars of Eternity played, and just couldn't get myself into Bloodborne, same for Rocket League but for entirely different reasons. I also can't in good conscience put Arkham Knight in my top 10 unless I somehow run out of candidates. I'd likely put Mad Max ahead of it, for one.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 07:58:35 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 09:05:28 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 21, 2015, 06:47:17 PM

The Witcher 3 is my GotY.  All of my issues are technical.  Large, believable world, multiple endings to quests, fun combat and gameplay mechanics.  Stays solid throughout without breaking down at the end.  Satisfying storyline.

While I can totally see someone picking the Witcher 3 as their GOTY for the other reasons you mention I just can't agree with the bolded. Character movement was poor, later patched to being barely ok. Swimming controls were terrible, later patched to poor. Combat was kind of clunky, with an unreliable lock-on, weird hit boxes, and strange idiosyncrasies like the enemies ranged combat radius being larger than Geralt's combat engagement radius thus making it impossible to parry arrows at long range but something you
could do as you got closer to the archers. Mechanically a lot bugged me about that game.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 12:00:05 AM »

I still have no idea.  If you would have asked me through the first half of the game, I would have said Witcher 3 had it absolutely locked up.  But I thought the back half of the game was boring as hell, and the uber-shitty ending I got (that I still don't even know how I got) made that even worse. It completely soured me on the whole experience.

Xenoblade Chronicles X might be it, although I've hit a huge wall about 30 hours in.  Will see how much grinding is required to get past it.

Undertale might be it, but I still have to finish it.

Uncharted 2 Remaster might be it, but I don't know if you can count a remaster as a GOTY.

FFXIV Heavensward might be it, because I spend a shit-ton of time with it and the new areas were fantastic.  The end game is still awfully lackluster though (run the same couple of dungeons over and over and over and over and over), and I'm finally burned out after 1,000'ish hours in that world.

FIFA16 might be it, as it's the first sports game that's hooked me in over a decade.

It's been a year with lots of good games, but nothing that stood out to me as being head and shoulders above the rest.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 02:40:01 PM by Gratch » Logged

Remover of Inconvenient Obstacles
Glycerine

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 12:36:24 AM »

Witcher 3, no contest.

Bloodborne, Metal Gear Solid 5, and Fallout 4 are all runners up.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 01:46:58 AM »

If it is based on how many hours I play the game then Fallout 4 is the GOTY for me. I spent over 72 hours playing the game and I'm still haven't reached Diamond City. I love the settlement. I spent almost 48 hours game time restarting several times to build the first settlement.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 02:35:08 AM »

My GOTY is Mad Max.  I loved how they handled the license.  The visuals, ground and car combat were really fun.  The repetitive nature did not bother me so much.  It was the most fun I had gaming this year.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 02:54:46 AM »

For me it's Red Dead Redemption. Yeah, I know....
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 05:14:51 AM »

It's really hard for me to pick out one game as my GOTY this year.  Instead, here are a few I enjoyed despite some caveats:
- Cities: Skylines
- Mad Max
- Fallout 4
- Just Cause 3
- Dirt Rally
- Metal Gear Solid V
- Dying Light
- Grow Home

Best 2014 games I played in 2015:
- Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
- MXGP
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 05:18:38 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Demons run when a good man goes to war.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 02:38:45 PM »

The Witcher 3

Not only the best game of the year but quite possibly the decade.

Runner up - Rocket League
Arclight

Just sayin? You're Just sayin?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 03:43:29 PM »

And the Winner is...............Miss Columbia, oops, I mean Witcher 3. A masterpiece of gaming excellence.

It's in us to...
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 05:35:07 PM »

My game of the year is easily Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition. There is so much to do, so much to see, and the NPC humor is the best I've ever seen in an RPG. Couple that with an awesome AI and great weapons, and you have a massive hit.

I haven't played Witcher 3 yet, but I can't see it beating out Divinity anyway. Any for Fallout 4, I'll be waiting for the game of the year edition.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 05:38:19 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on December 22, 2015, 05:35:07 PM

My game of the year is easily Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition. There is so much to do, so much to see, and the NPC humor is the best I've ever seen in an RPG. Couple that with an awesome AI and great weapons, and you have a massive hit.

I haven't played Witcher 3 yet, but I can't see it beating out Divinity anyway. Any for Fallout 4, I'll be waiting for the game of the year edition.

I have this high on my list for Christmas. 

How will I play it, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Dark Souls 2 (bought on a black Friday sale)?

Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 10:38:29 PM »

As the majority have said, Witcher 3 for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: