http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 03:21:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Card Hunter: CCG combined with RPG Campaign  (Read 737 times)
ydejin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2012, 09:41:59 PM »

Just found out about this really nifty sounding game, Card Hunter.  You create a set of adventurers, each represented by a CCG card deck, and go out on adventures earning new cards and expanding your deck.  The designers have a great pedigree with the team lead, Jonathan Chey, being an Irrational Games co-founder who was the lead designer on Freedom Force and also worked on BioShock, System Shock 2, and Thief.  They've got a lot of Irrational alumni on the team, and the Magic the Gathering creators are acting as consultants.

I heard about it on Friday and spent part of the weekend catching up on their developer diaries.  It sounds really great and has moved close to the top of my upcoming games I'm most looking forward to.

The general aesthetic is very interesting and it's designed to look like table top gaming:

Adventurers earn loot which comes in the form of equipment which is represented by more cards.  Choosing your adventurer's equipment along with some class and racial traits determines what your deck looks like:

Spoiler for Hiden:

There's an overland map, showing adventure locations, shops, taverns, and a home keep.

Adventures provide a series of connected combat encounters.  Here's a walkthrough on an adventure.

Diary 18 -- Black Oaken Heart
Diary 19 -- Into the Black Forest
Diary 20 -- The Trees Strike Back
Diary 21 -- Timber

The adventures are arranged like DnD adventures and they have a 1980s original DnD adventures design aesthetic, which I really like, having grown up in that era, although I wonder if it's a bit dated for a modern audience:

Spoiler for Hiden:

My main concerns are that it's F2P, although they insist it's not pay-to-win, and since a large part of the focus is on single-player, that may not matter all that much.  Also it's a browser game, I've never played a browser game (other than little Flash toy games), but that does suggest some major UI limitations that may make the game awkward to play.  They do promise to add iOS and Android tablet versions if it does well.

It's supposed to be showing at PAX at the mega-indie gaming booth.  I'd be really interested in reports if any of you are going.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 09:56:22 PM »

This looks very cool.  I would get it for iOS if it doesn't take up too much space and wasn't too expensive (though I assume FTP would extend to the other platforms).

I would try the browser version, but it wouldn't be my primary choice.

I love the tabletop/old school D&D feel of it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 10:27:29 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 27, 2012, 09:56:22 PM

This looks very cool.  I would get it for iOS if it doesn't take up too much space and wasn't too expensive (though I assume FTP would extend to the other platforms).

I agree.  Seems like it would make a great tablet game.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 02:06:45 AM »

I have 3 beta keys available for this, PM me if you want one. I will edit this if they are claimed.

Edit 1 key left as of 0630 EST 2 Aug.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 10:40:39 AM by Lee » Logged
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 07:04:13 AM »

Ooh this game is fun as hell! I got into the beta thanks to a key from Lee (thanks Lee!) and while it kind of throws you into the deep end at the beginning (well, not too deep) after you beat the first couple battles with some higher level troops it starts you off at level one and really does a good job of introducing the different gameplay aspects a little bit at a time. After about an hour or so I almost feel like a Cardhunter expert!  I never played the old tabletop or pen and paper type RPG games but I really appreciate the little touches they through in to give you the best of both worlds of the tabletop-like play and nostalgia but with all the convenience of a PC game with the dice rolls in the background.
There is a monetary aspect to it where you buy pizza slices (see?) but I'm not exactly sure how they're supposed to be used. Like any good drug dealer they gave me 30 free pizza slices which I used to buy a treasure chest which gave me four nice pieces of uncommon LOOT. While the monetary part is there, so far it hasn't had a negative impact on the game in the least. I'm sure this game will come out for the tablets as well. I would love to play it on an iPad.  Did I mention that there's tons of LOOT collecting?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 09:55:57 AM »

buy pizza, use it for the campaign unlock.  Everything else is mostly just a time shortcut or cosmetic.
KJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 11:46:25 AM »

This looks like my kinda game.  I'm interested in a key, if there are any left.

Wish they'd create a new Culdcept. Loved that game.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 05:22:27 AM »

Card Hunter is now released.  Is anyone else playing?

I've managed to get an all Elf party (standard 1 Warrior, 1 Cleric, 1 Wizard) up to level 11, and the scenarios are string to get pretty challenging.  I've started a second all Dwarf two Wizard, one Cleric, no Warrior party, which seems to work pretty well (although I haven't gotten far enough with it to say for sure how well it works).  It's quite a change switching from the elves to the dwarfs, since the dwarfs are so slow.

I'm not sure what other combinations would work.  Going without a Cleric seems like it would be very hard since that leaves no margin for error, although I seem to recall reading that some people used three Elf wizards in multiplayer.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 12:15:38 PM »

I played the first couple of missions and was really impressed.  Not sure if this is my kind of game for the long run, though.  I always like to pretend I like these turn-based strategy games, but given how far I get into them, I suspect I really don't.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: