http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 11:04:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canadian EB's "Bait and Switch" tactic (PSP bundle  (Read 1662 times)
Cleric7
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2005, 04:29:02 PM »

So, we've all heard about the infamous "Gretzky bundle" that is being foisted on Canadians. And you've probably heard that, if you buy the "Gretzky bundle" at EB, you can't turn around and trade the Gretzky game in to the store for credit towards something else -- the Gretzky game is listed as zero dollars in trade in EB's system! Lovely...

Ok, all that's old news. Here's where things start to get dicey ... and possibly illegal:

The major newspapers in Ontario this Saturday (March 19) contained an EB flyer with the "PSP Value Pack" prominently displayed, with an SKU number and a selling price of $299.99 Canadian with the launch date of March 24. There was no mention of the $350 Gretzky bundle. I thought, "that's odd, that doesn't jive with what I've been hearing from the local EB's."

So I check with one of the local stores and I am informed that EB Canada knew weeks ago that they had already sold out, through preorders, ALL THE VALUE PACKS that Sony had allocated to them at launch!

In other words, WELL BEFORE THIS FLYER WAS PRINTED, EB Canada was fully aware that they would NOT be able to supply the product that is advertised in the flyer.

If you enter an EB on Thursday -- advertisement for the $299 Value Pack clutched in your hand -- you will be told that the supplies have run out and you have to buy the Gretzky pack!

Here's my question:

What is the legality of advertising a product that you have foreknowledge that you can't supply? And then directing your stores to push the higher priced bundle in it's place??

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 04:46:55 PM »

Depends on the small print, really.

OTOH, it wouldn't be hard to find a judge who agreed with your viewpoint on the issue and was willing to dole out a guilty verdict.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 04:53:17 PM »

yea, this whole PSP launch has been pretty disinformed by EB.  I got a tapdance that they weren't going to have any to give to anyone who didn't pre-order.  I looked over the counter and said, uh..you have 20 in that pile that says 'pre-order' and about 50 in the other pile.  Looks like you've got plenty.   I flashed my PSP and Mercury at him and told him I didn't need his lies.  His manager didn't seem thrilled.

I do love torturing the EB folk...it just never gets old!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 09:52:24 PM »

well, you live in Canada so you're screwed.. slywink

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 10:10:41 PM »

Hmm, I wonder if you could take that ad into a Future Shop or something and get a non-bunded version?

I have zero interest in Gretzky hockey (IGN gave it a 6).

If that's impossible, I guess I will have to wait until a non-bundled version arrives.  I suppose I can sell the game or something, but I have a feeling the market will be quite saturated with Gretzky Hockey.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 12:46:02 AM »

I'm assuming people can still go in to their EB and slap down an order for the regular advertised value pack. Just gotta wait for them to get it in. I also know clearer heads will prevail and walk on out of EB in search for the value pack elsewhere if the Gretzky bundle is the only release day purchase there.  The only people this really is going to impact are the ones who are totally impatient are not level headed.

I seem to recall the same stuff occuring with the PS2 was released. All but a handful survived that one from what I recall.

EB isn't the only kid on the block (thankfully). But being Canada maybe it is.  :shock:
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 01:06:43 AM »

Everyone should have Gretzky anyway.

In fact - I think that when you pick up your PSP you should be forced to get every hockey game that ever comes out for the system.

:wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 02:24:07 AM »

I hope Wal-Mart will carry non-bundled version.
Actually, the PSP is one of those things that I probably want to get an extended warranty for.... Sony product don't cha know...
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 02:35:35 PM »

How many times does EB have to screw their customers before people stop going there?
chrismcd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 02:56:44 PM »

That is where I pre-ordered from... Dosen't bother me about Gretzky hockey need a hockey game till NHL 2006 comes out

Chris

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 04:45:13 PM »

Well if you can find one at Target I know they are selling them non-bundled for $249 or whatever.  It's in this week's ad.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 05:55:03 PM »

We don't have Targets up here in Canada.... at least I don't think we do.

The choices pretty much comes down to...

EB
CompuSmart
Wal-Mart
Toys R Us
Future Shop / Best Buy
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 06:04:20 PM »

Years back sears got in all kinds of trouble for advertising a low price on say a washer then when you got there it was sold out of course. They had the low price on ONLY ONE washer. Then everyone else was pushed towards a higher priced one. They got the shit kicked out of them for that practice.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2005, 06:25:43 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Years back sears got in all kinds of trouble for advertising a low price on say a washer then when you got there it was sold out of course. They had the low price on ONLY ONE washer. Then everyone else was pushed towards a higher priced one. They got the shit kicked out of them for that practice.

That's why they now say "limited supplies" or something to that effect and "no rainchecks".  Still doesn't make it right.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 06:41:16 PM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"

I have zero interest in Gretzky hockey (IGN gave it a 6).

IGN actually gave it a 7.5
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2005, 06:45:10 PM »

Yeah, I was mistaken.  Gamespot gave it a 6.
You typically take 1.5 off any IGN score anyway  Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: