http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 10:22:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can You Tell Me About Netflix on 360?  (Read 1706 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2011, 07:16:07 PM »

Our local Blockbuster is shutting down and this kills a lot of the value for the 19.99 plan for mail movie exchanges and such, so we're contemplating netflix.

On the 360 how large is the movie library? Do they have a big selection of tv shows?  How long does it take to download a movie (on PS3 it can be take HOURS).  Etc etc.

If you have the cheapest plan can you still do unlimited streaming on the 360 etc?
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 07:33:05 PM »

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/new?view=synopsis&popups=1&infinite=0

you can browse all the titles available on IW. I think they recently changed it that the stream only plan is now unlimited, but at the same raise it a dollar. But whatever. It's like 9 bucks where as before you could stream maybe 5-6 movies a month.

I don't know, about the value though. I mean I still sub to netflix. But as much as they are desperately trying to move to a stream service their movies on IW simply suck. There hasn't been much in months that I wanted to watch. It's just old movies, or shitty movies(which is a huge amount of movies anyways). Everyone's taste is different, so maybe you'll find more value than me.

I will say the services is pretty much flawless. Just stay away from anything with starz. horrible, horrible quality. I honestly have no clue what they bother.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 07:37:31 PM »

You can get a streaming only plan for $8/month.  That covers unlimited streaming on any device including the 360, but no discs.

I think the streaming selection is excellent.  They do have a lot of TV shows, but not all, and it's mostly by studio.  For example, there's a ton of NBC and Fox, but no HBO.  There's also a bunch of BBC stuff like MI5, Black Addar, and Monty Python.

Movie selection is more hit and miss.  There are some, but not a lot, of "blockbuster" type movies.  There are a lot of classics and older movies though.  There are also a ton of documentary type stuff, both feature length and TV stuff like National Geographic.

You don't have to (and can't) download a movie.  You select one, it buffers for a few seconds, and then starts playing immediately.  If your bandwidth is low or drops, it will throttle the picture quality down to compensate, and will throttle back up if it picks up, plus a decent number of movies are in HD.  It doesn't look as good as a bluray, but it's not too far behind.  If you stop mid-movie, it remembers where you left off and next time you can start there.  It also shows you which episodes of a TV series you've watched and how far you are in each episode.

Thumbs up for streaming on the 360/PS3.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 08:21:04 PM »

I think they advertise around 17,000 movies on Instant Watch at any time.  They add new ones every month (or more frequently?), and cycle some others out.  It certainly isn't usually the most recent movies but I have found a ton on there to watch.  For me it is a nice balance to get the discs as well as streaming, so I can get both new releases and catch up on other ones I missed from last year or longer ago.

As for the streaming, it's basically instant as Chaz said.  It may take up to 30 seconds to determine your bandwidth and buffer, but then it just goes.  Rarely do I have throttling picture quality problems, but it can happen during peak hours (I'm on cable internet in a big apartment complex, so it is likely just that bogging down).

You can browse your queue from the 360, as well as new releases (to Instant Watch) and other categories it has built based on your ratings of other movies.  And of course you can do that all from your PC or PS3 as well.

There are quite a few TV shows on there to watch, but don't expect everything at the same time they hit DVD/BR.  I'm not sure what kind of TV shows you're into, but some examples of ones I've watched are Weeds, The Office, 30 Rock, Top Gear, A Bit of Fry and Laurie, Doc Martin, Battlestar Galactica, Monk, MST3K, etc. 

Overall, I definitely think it is worthwhile.  If you can afford a couple bucks more a month, I would suggest one of the disc + streaming subscription for the best options, but even with the cheapest plan you can still stream to 360 and PS3.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 08:21:53 PM »

My Netflix streaming queue is like my gaming backlog- I'll probably die before it's emptied.

Or they'll go out of business first.

Odds are on dying.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 09:36:38 PM »

I've had Netflix for a few months now, and I love it.  I have a huge list of things I want to watch (mostly TV shows), and that's just from browsing new releases when they add them.  If you have both a PS3 and 360, I'd suggest watching on the PS3.  At least for me, it's quite a bit a faster to get the streaming started, and I like the interface better.  I also sometimes get glitches on the 360 where it will quit out to the menu when I bring up the controls, and that doesn't happen on the PS3.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 09:38:47 PM »

PS3 > 360 for Netflix.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 10:36:57 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on January 22, 2011, 09:38:47 PM

PS3 > 360 for Netflix.

How come?
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 10:55:25 PM »

Oddly I never used the PS3 version (always 360) until the last couple of weeks when I have been playing DCUO so the audio and video is already set to the PS3.  While the UI looks a lot better on Xbox the PS3 one works better and (possible coincidence) I have yet to get the wildly varying streaming quality I always seem to get on the 360.  Hardly scientific but so far it seems average picture quality (and the stability of that quality) has been better.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 11:56:12 PM »

I love Netflix streaming. I probably watch about 10 movies streaming for every DVD I get. Depending on your tastes, the selection is either great or mediocre. If you like independent films, foreign films, or documentaries, then you'll have an almost unlimited supply of movies to watch. My only wish is that they would have 5.1 sound for the 360 like they have on the PS3.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 06:21:45 AM »

Quote from: ATB on January 22, 2011, 10:36:57 PM

PS3 > 360 for Netflix.

How come?

When the PS3 version first came out it was clearly inferior to the 360 version, but I've heard they've updated it fairly recently so I'll have to reevaluate.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 09:51:09 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 23, 2011, 06:21:45 AM

Quote from: ATB on January 22, 2011, 10:36:57 PM

PS3 > 360 for Netflix.

How come?

When the PS3 version first came out it was clearly inferior to the 360 version, but I've heard they've updated it fairly recently so I'll have to reevaluate.

I'm with Proner. I won't argue much for the PS3 when it comes to actually gaming on it, but for media streaming and stuff like Netflix, it's way better at this point.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 01:45:43 PM »

I don't have a 360' but we alternate between the PS3 and Wii for Netflix depending on Which one happens to be up. no complaints with either format as far as streaming. especially true of T V shoes when we are not expecting great sound anyway
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 02:29:34 PM »

I've switched from 360 to PS3 for streaming Netflix, too. I've never had it take hours... it works like a charm.

The entire recent Battlestar Galactica series is on there now, so I'm working my way through it (again). smile

Movies come and go with regards to their streaming availability. Just because something appears there today as available for streaming does not mean that it will stay there. Your online queue, after a while, will show you which of your queued movies no longer are available.

I recommend this Quarter to Three thread for streaming movie recommendations, though you should start at the end of the thread, since the older stuff may no longer be available:
http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=48930

xbox live: nude rick james
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »

Blockbuster offers by-mail rentals that includes games for the same price as the Netflix plan, but Netflix has instant streaming so you ALWAYS have something to watch.

Your call.

And I let my XBL membership lapse so I've been using Netflix on PS3 myself, I think it's better than the 360 as well because on 360 it would constantly freeze and adjust the quality because supposedly my internet would slow down and speed up. That never happens on the PS3, for me at least.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 10:23:37 PM »

They did do an update to the 360 Netflix app this last November, or whenever that Kinect update hit. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 01:44:04 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 23, 2011, 08:16:49 PM

And I let my XBL membership lapse so I've been using Netflix on PS3 myself, I think it's better than the 360 as well because on 360 it would constantly freeze and adjust the quality because supposedly my internet would slow down and speed up. That never happens on the PS3, for me at least.

I also switched from the Xbox to the PS3 for watching Netlfix because of this problem.  Although, I tried the Xbox version this weekend and did not have any streaming hiccups.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 01:54:20 PM »

Dont know if the model makes a difference or not.  I have a newer 360 slim model and never have the issues I hear people complaining about here.    When I choose a video, I have a few seconds wait while it determines my bandwidth and then my video starts.  A lot of the content is HD and looks great.  Theres tons of stuff to watch but if youre expecting the latest releases then you deserve to be disappointed.  Of course it looks like that is the direction Netflix is heading.  It appears they want to eventually eliminate the mail to home portion of their service and go strictly streaming.  To do this and succeed they will need to secure the rights to stream new content asap.  If they dont they will end up being a glorified version of Hulu.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 02:08:35 PM »

Actually, it will be a lesser version of Hulu, since Hulu has streaming versions of current shows.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 02:10:55 PM »

I used to have this issue but haven't seen it in months.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 03:14:05 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on January 24, 2011, 02:10:55 PM

I used to have this issue but haven't seen it in months.

Wow, that's a real issue.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 12:41:13 AM »

I have Netflix running on 360, Wii and PC. I hardly ever bother with PC as I run WinXP on the PC that's connected to my HDTV, and that OS's version of Silverlight which Netflix uses is a poor quality media plug-in. I've seen it running on PC's running the Win7 version of Silverlight and it looks much better. When I upgrade my OS I'll likely make my PC the main Netflix viewing system, as I quite like the Web based Interface.

I typically use my 360, because the HD I get from Netflix looks very good - albeit newer and quality SDVD's that are upscaled look about as good. I do experience the network slow downs and speed ups others have mentioned, which occasionally cause drops in the quality and sometimes a resetting. By far my biggest beef with the 360 version is interface and controls, which IMO are terrible. Why it doesn't use the standard play controls the 360 uses for SDVD's (which IMO are good) is beyond me.  As well the category listing and browsing features are clunky and quite useless. The interface for the Wii version is better, but of course you only get SDef output with it. For the $8/month it costs for unlimited streaming I'd say I'm a satisfied customer, but just barely. I'm a big fan of Foreign film and the decent selection more or less makes up for other shortcomings.

Quote from: rshetts2 on January 24, 2011, 01:54:20 PM

Don't know if the model makes a difference or not.  I have a newer 360 slim model and never have the issues I hear people complaining about here.
This makes sense as I've suspected the wireless adaptor for the original 360's to be at least part of the problem. I've rarely experienced inconsistent Netflix streaming with my PC or Wii which both use wireless. It's very possible the slims built in wireless adaptor is that much better than the original add-on adaptor. It'd be interesting to hear if people using a wired LAN drop for original 360's are getting inconsistent network speed?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 12:44:02 AM by kronovan » Logged
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 12:57:22 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on January 24, 2011, 01:54:20 PM

Dont know if the model makes a difference or not.  I have a newer 360 slim model and never have the issues I hear people complaining about here.    When I choose a video, I have a few seconds wait while it determines my bandwidth and then my video starts.  A lot of the content is HD and looks great.  Theres tons of stuff to watch but if youre expecting the latest releases then you deserve to be disappointed.  Of course it looks like that is the direction Netflix is heading.  It appears they want to eventually eliminate the mail to home portion of their service and go strictly streaming.  To do this and succeed they will need to secure the rights to stream new content asap.  If they dont they will end up being a glorified version of Hulu.

I still have the same issue after moving to a Slim.  I also had it on wired at my last house and now wireless at our new place.  It got somewhat better after that move, so I always assumed it was a Comcast issue.  I wouldn't be shocked to find out the the 360 app is just a bit more aggressive with adjustments.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 01:01:55 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 23, 2011, 10:23:37 PM

They did do an update to the 360 Netflix app this last November, or whenever that Kinect update hit. 
I can't wait for the Kinect Netflix update.  no more remote! (hopefully)

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 01:15:18 AM »

I might have to switch back to it again on the 360 when that update hits, at least to try it out.  I've been on the PS3 ever since they went disc-less.  Mostly due to the lower fan noise than my 360, although the one I use now is a much quieter Jasper.  The 5.1 sound on the PS3 is nice, but being able to control the 360 with my Harmony remote is also nice.  Everything else is pretty much a wash.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2011, 03:26:30 AM »

I didn't think about the fan noise difference.  I'll have to switch from 360 to PS3 for that advantage alone.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 06:29:16 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on January 25, 2011, 01:15:18 AM

The 5.1 sound on the PS3 is nice, but being able to control the 360 with my Harmony remote is also nice.

There is an adapter from Logitech/Harmony that you can add to your PS3 that will allow you to use Harmony remotes with the PS3. I bought one after I started using the PS3 Netflix more and more. It's simple to set up and works flawlessly. It was $50 when I got it but I've seen it go on sale for around $30.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 07:24:31 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on January 25, 2011, 06:29:16 PM

The 5.1 sound on the PS3 is nice, but being able to control the 360 with my Harmony remote is also nice.

There is an adapter from Logitech/Harmony that you can add to your PS3 that will allow you to use Harmony remotes with the PS3. I bought one after I started using the PS3 Netflix more and more. It's simple to set up and works flawlessly. It was $50 when I got it but I've seen it go on sale for around $30.

I know about the adapter, but there's no way I'm paying $30 just to be able to use the Harmony with the PS3.  I'll just keep using the regular Sony remote and being annoyed about it until the adapter drops to the $15 range.  And yeah, I know about the USB dongle options too, and maybe one of these days I'll seek one of those out.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 01:45:06 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on January 25, 2011, 07:24:31 PM

Quote from: Crawley on January 25, 2011, 06:29:16 PM

I know about the adapter, but there's no way I'm paying $30 just to be able to use the Harmony with the PS3.  I'll just keep using the regular Sony remote and being annoyed about it until the adapter drops to the $15 range. 

Nyko Bluwave Remote for $15 including shipping.

Plug in the dongle and toss the remote; tell Harmony to be a Nyko Bluwave.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2011, 05:16:39 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 26, 2011, 01:45:06 AM

Quote from: Chaz on January 25, 2011, 07:24:31 PM

I know about the adapter, but there's no way I'm paying $30 just to be able to use the Harmony with the PS3.  I'll just keep using the regular Sony remote and being annoyed about it until the adapter drops to the $15 range. 

Nyko Bluwave Remote for $15 including shipping.

Plug in the dongle and toss the remote; tell Harmony to be a Nyko Bluwave.

i've been using one of these for a couple years and it works great...think i even picked mine up somewhere for $10 at the time.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2011, 04:22:38 PM »

Can you stream movies to multiple tvs at the same time?

For instance:  I have the PS3 on one tv and the 360 on the other?

What about the pc and the tvs at the same time?
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2011, 05:54:37 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 08, 2011, 04:22:38 PM

I think so. I'm fairly certain there have been times when I've been watching something on my tv while my roommate watches something on his PC. The quality of the picture may suffer a bit due to high traffic is your internet speed isn't up to snuff, however.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2011, 07:25:50 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 08, 2011, 04:22:38 PM

The closest I can get for you is that I have streamed on the 360 and the iPad at the same time.  That works fine.  I haven't tried a third device.  I don't see why it would be different but it might be.

Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011, 07:32:04 PM »

I went to my Netflix account and looked under the "Manage Netflix devices and computers" and it says
You may watch instantly on up to 6 unique devices:
Including personal computers and Netflix ready devices. You may also use this page to manually de-register devices you no longer wish to use for watching instantly. A deactivated device can be reactivated later if you wish to resume using it.

My current subscription is the 1 at a time unlimitted ( though I'm thinking of switching to streaming only ).

In the past they used to restrict how many devices based upon your subscription - basically one device per rental, but it seems they've just made it universally 6 devices.  Of course, I could be misreading their statement.

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: