http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 04:42:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you play Half-Life 2 [Steam] Offline?  (Read 1493 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2006, 02:44:24 AM »

It's disturbing how some games are beginning to require "online activation" (when some dont have internet and many have unreliable internet) but I just finished installing Half-Life 2 (bought for $39.99 new at Gamestop) and it says you will need to be connected to the internet when playing your steam games.
I'm hoping they mean your online games. When Half-Life 2 first came out it was possible to activate it online, and then play offline (for example counter-strike source has the official CS bot to practice with) the game of the year edition I got even claims "Offline skirmish with AI bots" offline to me means exactly that, offline.

I'm leaving tomorrow (moving to the other side of the state) and won't have internet for probably a few months until I get settled in. I bought Half-Life 2 (along with Space rangers 2) to give me something to do until I could get online. The last time I played the official CS bots, they were pretty damn good. Unreal tournament quality.

It's going to take a while for all this steam stuff to update but the "must be connected to the internet" message was a little worrysome.

Anyone know for sure if you can play Steam games offline, after you register them? What's the point of even having an offline game (such as bots) if you have to be online anyway?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 03:26:11 AM »

From what I remember, there is an option to run HL2 offline within Steam.
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 04:19:34 AM »

Just start up Steam without an internet connection, and you'll get an option to "start in offline mode".

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 07:08:39 AM »

Talk about turning a simple question into a big assed rant.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 07:11:21 AM »

Maybe you misunderstood the subject of the post then. I don't like Steam because of it's online crap and I've tried logging in in the so called "offline mode" but it won't let me get access to the games unless I log in online.

So yeah you bet your ass if I pay 40 bucks for a game and can't even play it offline like the box says "Offline skirmish with AI bots" says you can, that I'm going to let it be heard!  :twisted:

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 07:22:08 AM »

Try unplugging your internet connection. I have never had a problem logging in and playing any of my games offline.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 08:31:54 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
It's disturbing how some games are beginning to require "online activation" (when some dont have internet and many have unreliable internet)
I, personally, am losing sleep over this issue.

Hint:  I'm actually not.

Hint2:  Using the internet to bitch about internet activations is lol.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 08:38:20 AM »

Hint2: Using the internet to bitch about internet activations is lol

Did you read my original post or are you just talking out of your ass? The next couple of hours are the last hours I have of internet until I move to the other side of the state where I wont have internet for a couple of months, give or take.

Not everyone may have the privelages that you do of 24/7 internet access, if you could understand that, then maybe you can understand why internet activations/having to be online to play (BF2's downloadable expansion pack for example) is a bitch.

Thanks for your on-topic response Mattc0m, maybe that's what the problem is since it keeps logging me in automatically and doesn't give you the option to go into an offline mode. Guess I'll find out in about 10 hours when I'm stuck in a little room with no internet!

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 10:17:02 AM »

I've played HL2 while my net connection was down and it ran just fine.  It takes some time for steam to recognize that there's no net connection, but once it does it'll let you run steam offline.

Just make sure you check the status of HL2 in the steam menu by right clicking it and going to properties.  It should clearly state in that menu if it's ready to be played offline.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 05:39:32 PM »

Okay then, so have you in fact updated HL2 with all the downloaded patches and such first? If not then do so before you head out and then unplug your net connection as suggested. Steam does take a bit to recognize it but it will find there is no net connection. Or just disable your connection in Network Settings.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 06:45:34 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Did you read my original post or are you just talking out of your ass?

Both.  You got into a rant that sounded like it was coming from your ass, so I responded in kind.

The next couple of hours are the last hours I have of internet until I move to the other side of the state where I wont have internet for a couple of months, give or take.

That sucks, but you'll be fine, at least when it comes to playing Half-Life 2.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: