http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 12:42:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can the Wii scratch a GC CD?  (Read 872 times)
Jag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2007, 01:30:29 PM »

I recently got Gamecube NHL for the Wii. It's been played almost everyday for about 2 weeks. Yesterday it stopped working and i noticed 2 very small TOP scratches on it. It could have been from handling, but we are really careful with CDs. Is it possible the player scratched it? Anyone here of this happening?

Also, is there anyway to fix a top scratch or do i need to buy a new CD?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 02:53:36 PM »

What's the difference between a regular scratch and a top scratch?
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 03:09:21 PM »

From what i am reading a scratch on the top of a CD (the printed side) is much worse than on the underside (shiny side).
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 03:42:11 PM »

I personally haven't had any scratches on either side of any GC disks and I've had my Wii since launch day. I've also played a great many GC games on it over the last 7 months. Since the Wii has automatic disk queueing you do have to be careful that you don't force any GC or Wii disk into it. In theory it's also possible that any auto disk queuing mechanism could be defective and a scratched disk  could be an indicator of this.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 06:11:17 PM »

Quote from: Jag on July 05, 2007, 03:09:21 PM

From what i am reading a scratch on the top of a CD (the printed side) is much worse than on the underside (shiny side).

I don't understand how a scratch on the top would have any effect at all: the laser isn't reading anything on that side.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 06:15:17 PM »

You've been aroud here long enough to know that the Wii can't do anything bad!!!

Tongue

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 06:34:59 PM »

Quote from: devil
You've been aroud here long enough to know that the Wii can't do anything bad!!!

Care to contribute something to the discussion here?  Or are you just throwing yet another zinger at the community you belong to and are on staff at?  Oh wait... there's a smiley so I guess everything's okay then right?

Quote from: wonderpug on July 05, 2007, 06:11:17 PM

I don't understand how a scratch on the top would have any effect at all: the laser isn't reading anything on that side.

A scratch on the top side I believe affects the data layer.  I think the bottom side is what the laser looks through to get to the top side so scratches on the bottom side can be repaired but ones on the top side can damage where the data is located.

At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 05, 2007, 06:11:17 PM

Google proves you wrong!
http://www.supermediastore.com/do-not-scratch-the-top-of-a-cd.html
Do Not Scratch the Top of a CD!

That's right! Scratching the top of a CD (the screen printed side) can be damaging to the integrity of the CD. Most people try to avoid scratches and blemishes from occurring on the bottom side of the CD. But in reality, the top is the more vulnerable side.

I was also in Gamestop this weekend and they refuse to buy any games with top scratches (bottom ones are ok).
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 06:49:24 PM »

Interesting, I didn't realize the data layer was so close to the top.
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 08:38:31 PM »

I was under the tutelage, that the printed cover is only foil to reflect the light back to the laser. There is a certain amount of coating on the bottom, but the section of disk between the foil and the "expendable" portion is where the pits define the binary data.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/cd-burner1.htm

In conventional CDs, these 1s and 0s are represented by millions of tiny bumps and flat areas on the disc's reflective surface. The bumps and flats are arranged in a continuous track that measures about 0.5 microns (millionths of a meter) across and 3.5 miles (5 km) long.

Thus, if you can see through the CD, it's toast.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 08:43:50 PM by javahead » Logged

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 08:45:23 PM »

it's a bit like a mirror. 

fwiw, i've had a few top scratched discs before, and only one case where i could still read the data.  luckily i had more than a few copies of the disc in case it went bad, but i have had many cases where a scratch big enough to let light pass through resulted in a coaster.  if the data around the damaged area is non-essential or unused when you access it, you should be fine.  if you ever do a copy though, forget it. 

this was a copy of office 2k3

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: