http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 08:07:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone who works (or worked) for Gamestop explain why...  (Read 1047 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2009, 08:10:50 PM »

...corporate has you guys put so many damned stickers on your used games? I can understand ONE sticker, but why the front, back, and the f!cking spine under the plastic cover?  Are they afraid that people will tear off the sticker so they can pay more for the game at the counter?  Is there not already enough work for you guys trying to hold down the fort against a bunch of clueless parents and ADD addled minds that they need to create busy work for you?

I just grabbed a used copy of Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness. After spending 10 minutes delicately pulling of the front and back label, I finally go for the spine (which the corporate Einsteins have you attach to the actual game cover) only to have pieces of it stick, rip, and stay attached to the cover. Now I have sticker goop all over the game cover's spine. I'm going back to Gamestop to return the game. Sorry, but some of us like to keep our software in pristine condition whenever possible. This used copy was flawless until Gamestop decided to treat it like a billboard.

Brilliant.

More money for Amazon.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 08:15:19 PM »

I can safely say i don't give a shit and gamespy doesn't take money off of what they pay for it back again when i'm done with it because it's covered with gamestop stickers...

If you seriously are a pristine condition type of guy, then buy the bloody thing at retail and get a shrink wrapped box that only has 3 or 4 retail stickers on it that you have to be careful removing from the top bottom and side.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 08:24:27 PM »

The front sticker is for the price, and the back sticker is to replace the barcode, since new and used versions have different barcodes. 

As for the one on the spine below the plastic, that one boggles my mind.  When I left they were starting to insist that all games get the spine price so that if you were looking at a bin where you could only see the spine, you'd be able to see the title and price without digging it out.  However, putting it below the plastic directly on the sleeve I simply don't understand.  It's much more work to do that than simply putting it on the plastic.  Even worse, the price stickers usually come off the plastic pretty easily and cleanly, but they never come off the insert easily, frequently tearing it if you try.

Maybe a current employee can shed some light on the below the plastic reasoning.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 08:44:21 PM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on June 02, 2009, 08:15:19 PM

If you seriously are a pristine condition type of guy, then buy the bloody thing at retail and get a shrink wrapped box that only has 3 or 4 retail stickers on it that you have to be careful removing from the top bottom and side.

This.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 08:46:48 PM »

A little tip for removing those tricky stickers: Use a hair dryer or similar object to heat the sticker for a while. The glue will melt, allowing you to easily peel the sticker off while it's still warm.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 08:47:23 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on June 02, 2009, 08:44:21 PM

This.

Unless, of course, the game you're looking for is out of print and the option is to buy the used Gamestop copy or the $100 mint condition Ebay copy.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 08:50:31 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 02, 2009, 08:47:23 PM

This.

Unless, of course, the game you're looking for is out of print and the option is to buy the used Gamestop copy or the $100 mint condition Ebay copy.

Then I think it's worth saving $80 to peel off a few stickers smile
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 08:52:35 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 09:29:56 PM »

The spine sticker is largely for inventory management purposes.  For every copy you see on the shelf there are quite a few more in drawers or in boxes in the back.  When you have to grab a game or scan it for inventory purposes it's much easier to scan a barcode. 

But I don't know why they would put them on the inside of the plastic case cover.  I haven't seen that so it sounds like some anal manager decided he/she was losing too many spine stickers or something.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Oscuros
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 10:55:49 PM »

My local Gamestop doesn't peel the backings off of the spine stickers. They are just tucked in the case. all you have to do is pull them out.
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 11:15:36 PM »

Quote from: Oscuros on June 02, 2009, 10:55:49 PM

My local Gamestop doesn't peel the backings off of the spine stickers. They are just tucked in the case. all you have to do is pull them out.

Same here.  They must have morons working at the other stores.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 11:24:38 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on June 02, 2009, 11:15:36 PM

Quote from: Oscuros on June 02, 2009, 10:55:49 PM

Same here.  They must have morons working at the other stores.

I'm sure corporate would see it the exact opposite, as those other guys are following policy, while yours are not.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 11:59:54 PM »

Policy doesn't dictate stickers under the plastic. We tried that for a bit in my store and I absolutely hated it. I'd rather deal with stickers coming off than that.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 03:10:40 AM »

This.

They have shrinkwrapped retail boxes at gamestop? I could've sworn they take the bloody discs out and unshrinkwrap the games to display them on the shelves. :p And then stick a white sticker on the spine.

Plus, the new games at $20 each come to like $60 vs $35ish when it's buy 2 get 1 free weekend at gamestop, so that's a substantial chunk of change. I am a pristine condition kind of guy because I do like to occasionally sell my game when I'm finished and a complete (manual, unscratched disc, proper case and label) game does in fact ebay better.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 03:31:27 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 02, 2009, 11:59:54 PM

Policy doesn't dictate stickers under the plastic. We tried that for a bit in my store and I absolutely hated it. I'd rather deal with stickers coming off than that.

Good to know.  I know some local idiots who should have this pointed out to them.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 11:48:27 AM »

Yeah, it made doing price changes an absolute nightmare. Moreover, if the cover art stock isn't nice and glossy, there's a good chance the sticker won't come off cleanly or, worse yet, tear the cover. I'm not saying the store is "wrong" by doing so, but there's no corporate directive to put stickers underneath the plastic. Getting spine stickers to stay on DS cases is a royal pain, but I still won't do that again. I do like the idea of not peeling the backing though....that intrigues me.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 04:54:15 PM »

Mine has been sticking them on the insert, too. It sucks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: