http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 07:48:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can MS topple Sony in the next generation?  (Read 4652 times)
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2004, 07:01:10 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
I certainly hope that Elder Scrolls 4 isn't a XBox exclusive, lets face it, the best thing about Morrowind was all the mods that enhanced the original game, and I can't see that on a console. As a recent XBox purchaser, I can safely say that my next console will be the Playstation 3, and not just because of backward compatabilty. Most of the big XBox releases have been disappointing (Sudaki, Fable, Halo, ), and it's selection of RPGs is laughable. So much hype, complete with total fan boys, has made me wonder if I'm playing the same games they are. I'm pretty sure that Jade Empire will be amazing, but there is a lot of talk of a PC version. I love Burnout 3, and the fighting games are good fun. But the only advantage the XBox has over the P2 is it's graphics, and I'm sure that will not be the case in the next gen. For the XBox 2 to be a huge success, maybe they should start releasing more console games and less PC ports or PC style games.

Plus with a P3, I get access to a huge collection of Japanise RPGs that I've never played before, and they will be cheap.

I was going to respond to this in great detail, but I decided not to, as it would be taken as fanboyism perhaps.

I just dont understand how before the specs are even known, before the launch titles are even known, and before the dates are truly known, you have decided you are only getting the PS3. I find this humerous. Maybe the enxt nintendo will blow everyone away. Then what? Just makes me laugh. For all you know the PS3 could be a microwave oven and the next Nintendo could be a hologram gaming device with unlimited free games, but no, your mind is made up  :roll: .

Speaking of Nintendo, anyone have any informatin on their next system?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2004, 07:44:43 PM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
I certainly hope that Elder Scrolls 4 isn't a XBox exclusive, lets face it, the best thing about Morrowind was all the mods that enhanced the original game, and I can't see that on a console. As a recent XBox purchaser, I can safely say that my next console will be the Playstation 3, and not just because of backward compatabilty. Most of the big XBox releases have been disappointing (Sudaki, Fable, Halo, ), and it's selection of RPGs is laughable. So much hype, complete with total fan boys, has made me wonder if I'm playing the same games they are. I'm pretty sure that Jade Empire will be amazing, but there is a lot of talk of a PC version. I love Burnout 3, and the fighting games are good fun. But the only advantage the XBox has over the P2 is it's graphics, and I'm sure that will not be the case in the next gen. For the XBox 2 to be a huge success, maybe they should start releasing more console games and less PC ports or PC style games.

Plus with a P3, I get access to a huge collection of Japanise RPGs that I've never played before, and they will be cheap.

I was going to respond to this in great detail, but I decided not to, as it would be taken as fanboyism perhaps.

I just dont understand how before the specs are even known, before the launch titles are even known, and before the dates are truly known, you have decided you are only getting the PS3. I find this humerous. Maybe the enxt nintendo will blow everyone away. Then what? Just makes me laugh. For all you know the PS3 could be a microwave oven and the next Nintendo could be a hologram gaming device with unlimited free games, but no, your mind is made up  :roll: .

I think the idea is that we expect the types of games featured on the current systems to translate to the next iterations. Although the quality of the games can be argued I think the style of games featured on both PS2 and Gamecube are very representative of what we saw on the PS1 and N64.  The Xbox has arguably made its market share by appealing with more realistic games with a western art asthetic that wasn't very popular on either PS1 or N64 so I think all three consoles serve a pretty specific audience with some overlap and that hasn't changed from previous generations.  

JayG loves console RPGs- Nintendo hasn't had a significant RPG presence on one of their non-portable consoles since SNES.  Most console RPGs are made by Japanese developers and are popular in the Japanease market.  Do you really think that, barring a miracle, Xbox 2 is going to see many of these types of games?  Without knowing the specs on the PS3 I feel fairly confident that it will feature the largest selection of console RPGs next generation.  

Personally- I could care less about the hardware.  My PS2 collection is more than my Cube and Xbox collection combined because the PS2 has a wider variety of games I'm interested in.  Assuming they get the same level of support from the same devs next generation (that isn't a poor assumption barring an implosion on Sony's part ), I have no trouble stating right now I will own a PS3.  I will very likely own an Xbox 2 and Revolution too based only their prior track records.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2004, 07:47:18 PM »

"I certainly hope that Elder Scrolls 4 isn't a XBox exclusive, lets face it, the best thing about Morrowind was all the mods that enhanced the original game, and I can't see that on a console."
Usually when people refer to a game as an "XBox exclusive", that only means it won't be on PS2 or GCN.  Halo, KoTOR, etc. are considered XBox exclusives, even though they're also on the PC.  Elder Scrolls 4 has been announced for the PC, so there's nothing to worry about there.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2004, 07:57:52 PM »

I'm just hoping Nintendo doesn't opt to go back to cartridges, because that would just be silly. biggrin

I'll reserve judgement on the systems until the specs on all three are made known next year. In theory, we should see them at E3 so there's that at least. What you have to look at right now are the philosophies behind each of the Big 3, and what they have each done to be successful and what they each need to do to become more successful in the next round.

Microsoft needs to scale down the system size big time. Japan is a ridiculously huge gaming market, and the console won't fit in most living rooms. They need to focus on exclusives, and keep them exclusive for longer than three months on their console. KOTOR II will be huge for them, but two months later it's out on PC. I work for a console-based website and I'LL wait the two months and buy it on PC. They also need to have way more RPGs. Jade Empire and KOTOR are great examples, but how late in the life span did they show up? If they lock down Oblivion then that's a good step, but it needs to be exclusive to them only.

They also really need to tout that their hardware is second to none. When you have a cross-platform game, I'll always go for the XBox because it will look better and because I frankly like their controller more than Sony's. When I hear the name "XBox" I need to think "sheer, unadulterated, real ultimate pow-ah." The PS3 may be marketed as a sleek Ferrarri, then XBox Next should be marketed as an American muscle car. The perception needs to be that XBox Next has so much power under the hood, it will blow out your home theater.

As for Sony and Nintendo, they both need to do the same thing: Pull their head out of their ass.

Sony - your programming format sucks. It's tough to program for which adds to the development cycle, and the hardware needs to be as powerful as possible for this next generation. You also need to give people better dev kits instead of saying, "It'll amuse us more if you just take a guess on how to make a game for our system, then we'll tell you whether you were right or not." Developers are used to making games for the PC so you need to understand that obscure programming linguistics were a bad idea for the PS2 and they remain a bad idea for the PS3.

Nintendo - Same thing. Get with the game and understand that an exclusive franchise title once every 6 months with two games in between is beyond piss poor. Not to mention that everyone else is on a standardized DVD format (or close enough to it) that this "I wanna be different just because!" attitude has helped Sony take away the title of "Most Influential Name Brand" for this generation. When I was growing up, videogaming was called "Nintendo" for a reason. Now it's called "PlayStation." Please do us all a favor and put two and two together on this.

Of course that's just one guy's opinion, so what's yours? smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2004, 08:04:50 PM »

Nintendo - Same thing. Get with the game and understand that an exclusive franchise title once every 6 months with two games in between is beyond piss poor. Not to mention that everyone else is on a standardized DVD format (or close enough to it) that this "I wanna be different just because!" attitude has helped Sony take away the title of "Most Influential Name Brand" for this generation. When I was growing up, videogaming was called "Nintendo" for a reason. Now it's called "PlayStation." Please do us all a favor and put two and two together on this.

Do you honestly believe the Cube media has hurt their sales this time around?  Maybe the DVD capabilities of the PS2 and Xbox hurt the Cube at the start but at this point, when consumer DVD players can be had for $40 and less, I can't believe its a factor.  And unlike Nintendo's cartridges I haven't heard of any games that didn't/couldn't appear on the Cube due to storage limitations.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2004, 08:38:20 PM »

So much hype, complete with total fan boys, has made me wonder if I'm playing the same games they are.

Funny, this is how I felt when I had a PS2.  I don't care for the Japanese art or story styles so the system wasn't for me.  I like Nintendo's games, but there just wasn't enough of them and they also need some new ideas.  From the moment I picked up the X-Box's meaty controller and fired up Halo I knew I had found my match.

The toughest obstacles about all of this are the unknowns (I know, duh, right?).  If everything remains as is then MS will continue to grow its user base, Sony will continue to dominate and Nintendo will cruise along on their wonderful eccentricity.  However, we've seen Nintendo be toppled by Sony, Sega trampled out of the hardware biz, MS do the seemingly impossible by entering in to an already crowded scene and the PSP poised to strike at Nintendo's cushy market.

In the end I wish it was all about the games.  But tell that to the Dreamcast.  They had games, some great games, but several factors led to its obsolescence.  The marketing muscle for these companies is ripe with horse steroids and gearing up to tear in to each other.  I'm just going to sit back and watch a good ol' fashioned capitalist cock fight and enjoy the games in the meantime. smile
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2004, 11:14:15 PM »

I have all three systems and have had for quite awhile. I have maybe played 3 entire games on my cube. Skies of Arcadia and Tales of Symphonia were worth the purchase however. I much prefer the Xbox controller too, however I am not the one they are marketing to apparently because if either system has 2 games I like I will buy them. Just isn't a huge expense for me. Gaming is a cheap hobby compared to many others. Particularly since I stopped buying a new super computer every two years to keep up with the PC games. Just one game like Disgaea which I am currently playing for the second time and over 100 hours a play amoritized for the 300 buck system is 3 bucks an hour. Tell me some other form of entertainment I can enjoy for the price.

JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2004, 01:57:44 PM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"

Simple, I want to play the old Final Fantasys and other RPGs for the P2. I thought I kinda made that clear by the reference to old RPGs that would be cheap. Xbox is a joke for RPGs, and that's my main genre, so why should the second one be any better? I already have an XBox, so with a P3 I get a whole new back catalog of games that would actually interest me.

Edited to add that the PC is my main gaming platform, and will likely remain so for the next few years. Even if there is a lot less games available, the likes of Oblivion, Dragon Age, Arx Fatalis 2, EQ2, F.E.A.R, NWN2 etc will keep me going for a long time. I look for different things in consoles, either arcade style fighting games like SOul Caliber and Racing games like Burnout 3, or Japanise style RPGs that just are not available on the PC. And of course consoles are great for multiplayer for when the lads come over. Since the likes of Soul Caliber and Burnout are multi-platform and almost all Japanise RPGs are Playstation exclusive, it seems a pretty safe assumption that the P3 is more my thing. Look at what Jancelot said, the irony is we could have just swapped systems and would probably be a lot happier. I do like the XBox, and Burnout 3 is one of the best games I've ever played, but Microsoft does seem to be aiming the XBox at a mainly PC audience.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: