http://gamingtrend.com
December 17, 2014, 09:57:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Home be salvaged?  (Read 1204 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2009, 10:54:02 PM »

I read a piece on Joystick about EA's recent edition to Home which makes me wonder whether Home might actually be decent in a while (who knows how long) if other developers keep adding more decent free stuff liike EA

http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/02/12/ea-sports-complex-brings-the-play-to-playstation-home/

EA's section is going to provide a poker room, something like go-kart racing and golf-all free.  And it sounds like virtual  rarity will not be included!.  They said you don't have to worry about micro transactions for poker but I think that would actually be awesome.  Make it so you can choose whether you want to play at the free tables or whether you want to play with the high-rollers.   If they keep introducing stuff like this I might actually put Home back on my system.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 11:04:37 PM »

Eh, maybe EA's space will make it decent.

Right now, it's one of the stupidest things ever.

TheMissingLink on PSN
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 11:06:46 PM »

I doubt they will ever do something where you bet things on the poker table for keeps.  I wouldn't think they want to get into the business of Internet gambling.  Also, hopefully EA doesn't make it to where there are only like 4 tables and if people are on them then nobody else can play.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 12:03:21 AM »

hell, i had the beta and all i ever did was spend an hour tweaking my avatar and walking around a beautifully sterile environment with other clones wondering what i was doing there. 

unless companies get going with good free home content, or at least stuff tied to your games, then it should be killed off.  i'm not paying for virtual crap, regardless of it's quality.  i've never bought a theme or a gamerpic, so why would i bother with a banner in a virtual home? 

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 12:11:44 AM »

To me it is one of those ideas that will never take off, but heck what do I know.  I would not spend a nickel on any of it.  Real life is about walking around talking to people, shopping, keeping up a home.  Why in the hell in my favorite form of escapism would I want to do that crap?!

I am Xboxalot on Live.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 01:06:17 AM »

I haven't been compelled to even download Home yet.  As it is currently constituted I can't think of a feature they could add that could change my mind.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 02:55:17 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 13, 2009, 01:06:17 AM

I haven't been compelled to even download Home yet.  As it is currently constituted I can't think of a feature they could add that could change my mind.

I haven't downloaded it yet either. Everything I've read about it nuked any curiosity I had.

A couple of times I've had an impulse to try it, but then I see the download size and give up.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 03:44:23 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 13, 2009, 01:06:17 AM

This sums up my feelings.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 04:16:34 AM »

It could be great but they would have to spend real MMO money to get there and they don't want to spend real MMO money.  So you'll see incremental updates for the life of the console that slowly move it to somewhere approaching tolerable.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 07:42:20 AM »

I deleted it, after trying unsuccesfully to enter it for a week.

Although, the damn icon is still there, and refuses to budge, right over PSN shop....which makes me click it evrey other time! How's that for smoking-gun-marketing?

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 08:26:23 AM »

I can't see much hope for Home after trying it myself. It was a one-time experience, and I can't see myself heading back there again for a long while. It just feels like another hoop to jump through to reach the actual content on the console.

Also, I severely doubt you'll ever see gambling for actual money in Home. If Sony implemented something like that, Home would instantly become illegal to use in countries like Norway, where gambling for money is against the law. Banks would also block transactions to Home.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 08:40:42 AM »

Salvage is the correct word here.

They should take it apart, turn the home apartment into a kind of background to the XMB, but make it load very fast, don't bother with external spaces unless they're specifically tied to a game, and games could access those spaces somehow from within the game.

Turn the apartment into a kind of party system, beef up the game launch functionality and include ways for games to tie back into the home infrastructure such as sending stats back to home for live updates, or even replays and such.

Make home avatars into general playstation avatars, but also add other types beyond normal humal, such as sackboy, whatever the hell Ratchet or Jak and Daxter are.

Once that's done, really pimp that feature that ties in with getting trophies to pimp your apartment.  Most "core" gamers won't care about this, but it will be a hit with more casual gamers, and nice to have when you have others in your home apartment/XMB space.

In essence, gut the whole online meeting space aspect and focus it on the games and game community.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 01:18:59 PM »

Bah, Homebug.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 04:08:17 AM »

I played with Home for the first time since its launch and I must say I had a lot of fun with it.  I messed around for about two hours checking out the Guitar Hero and RE5 spaces, playing some of the mini games like the flying saucer thing in the central area, and then best of all messing around with Xi, which is a blast.  Still have some work to do on it, but this alone will make me keep checking in.  It certainly has come a long way and while I still won't be paying money for clothes, I think I will visit much more frequently.

Edit - Oh and I saw a cool trailer for a new Ratchet and Clank game coming out!  Yay!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 04:15:25 AM by The Grue » Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 01:39:27 PM »

haven't been back on since maybe a week or two after launch...you look about,you do some jiggyin' in front of the big screen playing music,you talk to a few people,you log out never to return

i did see that you can have Star Trek clothes on your dude(or dudess)..but then again i bet you have to pay for them...everything else is so so....the cinema is pretty good(the European cinema is actually better than the 1 screen U.S cinema..as i have both on my PS3)and the cinema could actually be cool if it didn't take an age to download/stream/whatever to watch the trailers

could it be saved?...well the 'spaces' are a different idea,but once you have been there,looked about i for one didn't bother going back(think it was the far cry pub and station or something like that)

maybe if my xbox live friends list was on my PS3 and me and my friends actually were on the PS3 like we are on the xbox,we could all have fun hanging out...i suppose it depends on if you have a friends list that you have people on there who you play with regularly.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: