http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 02:02:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: can anyone confirm this story please(FF13)  (Read 1340 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2007, 05:48:26 AM »

[asskissing]okay,i know a lot of you are quite smart[/asskissing]...so can anyone please confirm whether the following link is......'bullshit or not'(<sorry ,i have just been watching Amazon women on the moon)

i am thinking bullshit,as this is the only news i have heard about it

FF13 is not PS3 exclusive...apparently

click on the link,it has yesterdays date on it

http://www.ps3center.net/story-394.html

thanks for any answers

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 05:53:54 AM »

If that is true, Sony really needs to get on top of their game again because they've been losing exclusives left and right now.
I'm pretty sure I read something in Game Informer with Phil Harrison where they asked him about exclusives and he said something redicilous like "We dont believe in paying for exclusives" - maybe not that exact line, but close enough to it where Sony isn't really giving the developers any kind of incentive to stick with PS3 only.
For someone who was thinking of buying a PS3 for final fantasy (or assassin's creed, mercenaries 2, unreal tournament 3, and so on) now has one less reason to buy one.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 05:55:37 AM »

I'd like the hear the exact quote from Squaresoft about this.  The article seems to contradict itself in one paragraph they act like the announcement is about FF13 not being exclusive, and in the next paragraph they are talking about it being exclusive, but the spinoffs won't be exclusive. 

Anyone have a link to the exact quote from Square?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 06:00:44 AM by faide » Logged

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 06:02:08 AM »

yeah,practically what i thought,i just checked the square enix sites just incase...no mention,i have only just got in from work and thought i missed some big news

but honestly,it wouldnt suprise me,square have been stretching the FF franchise recently,with spin offs and remakes...having FF13 multi format would be moneymaking..wouldn't it

anyway,sorry for yet another final fantasy 13 going multiformat thread

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 06:24:42 AM »

They'll make more money if they go multiplatform, so more power to them if this is true.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 07:19:21 AM »

In the latest issue of GI it says that Square says that the exclusivity of FF13 is under discussion, I haven't seen any confirmations though.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 11:25:22 AM »

OK-a few things. I am fairly sure this is simply a reprint (and complete bastardization) of a story that ran last week or the week before that had several people at Square saying that exclusivity could still be up in the air and that it was possible the game could come to another console. Second-when you say other consoles, you mean 360, and only the 360. Final Fantasy 13 proper could not work on the Wii if it had to without significant revisions to its game engine, cutscenes, and controls. While it is speculatively possible that a separate dumbed-down version could be created for the Wii, it seems more likely that they will simply build a spin-off ground up for that system so as to make it take full advantage of the unique features of the Wii. Third, it is no secret that the spin-offs of FF13 will be multi-platform, with at least one going to the Nintendo DS. So, whether FF 13 proper, ie, the main game in the series and the "sequel" shall we say to FF12 is multi-platform still seems unlikely, if it goes anywhere its off to the 360.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 11:26:21 AM »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151298&highlight=FFXIII

I think what the quote really means is that the "series" of FFXIII games, I believe they call it the Fabula Nova Crystallis series, won't be exclusive to PS3 and Handhelds. So that means more spin offs will be available on other platforms. Nothing specific about FFXIII proper was said though. Note the source is gamefront.de which is a fairly reliable source.

also more information in this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151229

I would say, from all I've read that the main game will probably stay on the PS3 only with all the spinoffs that are tied into that game on all the other systems.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 11:29:24 AM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 11:30:41 AM »

OMGz Tebunker copies me but adds links.  Tongue
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 02:18:12 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on April 18, 2007, 11:30:41 AM

The only reason I was a minute behind was because I research my work lawyer boy!

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 02:22:43 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on April 18, 2007, 02:18:12 PM

Quote from: Calvin on April 18, 2007, 11:30:41 AM

The only reason I was a minute behind was because I research my work lawyer boy!

Heh, see I got it right too, but just relied on your for the paralegal work  icon_wink!

Hopefully we will see a multi-platform release of FF13 proper, I mean it can't hurt a thing!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 02:43:58 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on April 18, 2007, 02:22:43 PM

Hopefully we will see a multi-platform release of FF13 proper, I mean it can't hurt a thing!

Sure it could.  Building a platform exclusive means that coders can design specifically to the strengths of a given platform.  Making it multi-platform could possibly hamper some of the technical execution as compromises are made to make a game that plays nice on both 360 and PS3.  So I would rather see FF13 proper stay PS3 exclusive and have the 360 and/or Wii get their own exclusive FF13 side games. 

I know I'm in the vast minority on this but as someone with plans to own all three consoles, I want *more* exclusives not less.  The vast majority of my favorite games last generation were platform exclusives and I generally think developers do better work when focused on a single platform. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 02:46:28 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 18, 2007, 02:43:58 PM

Quote from: Calvin on April 18, 2007, 02:22:43 PM

Sure it could.  Building a platform exclusive means that coders can design specifically to the strengths of a given platform.  Making it multi-platform could possibly hamper some of the technical execution as compromises are made to make a game that plays nice on both 360 and PS3.  So I would rather see FF13 proper stay PS3 exclusive and have the 360 and/or Wii get their own exclusive FF13 side games. 

I know I'm in the vast minority on this but as someone with plans to own all three consoles, I want *more* exclusives not less.  The vast majority of my favorite games last generation were platform exclusives and I generally think developers do better work when focused on a single platform. 

Well I was being sarcastic with my last comment. I still want to see a multi-platform release of a game like that, but I do realize the potential pitfalls in doing so  icon_wink I also agree with you regarding exclusives. Without them everything tends to feel a little watered down, and in the end you really don't need more than one "next-gen" console. I know I won't be picking up a PS3 again unless they start hanging on to some of their exclusives. Its just too easy for me to play multi-platform games on a system I already have and am used to.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 02:53:46 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on April 18, 2007, 02:46:28 PM

I know I won't be picking up a PS3 again unless they start hanging on to some of their exclusives. Its just too easy for me to play multi-platform games on a system I already have and am used to.

Sony's first/second party stuff is strong enough to guarantee I'll get a PS3.  They could lose FF13 and MGS4 but I'll still want a PS3 for Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, God of War 3, and others.  So for me it's a matter of when I get a PS3, not if.   
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 03:01:55 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 18, 2007, 02:53:46 PM

Quote from: Calvin on April 18, 2007, 02:46:28 PM

I know I won't be picking up a PS3 again unless they start hanging on to some of their exclusives. Its just too easy for me to play multi-platform games on a system I already have and am used to.

Sony's first/second party stuff is strong enough to guarantee I'll get a PS3.  They could lose FF13 and MGS4 but I'll still want a PS3 for Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, God of War 3, and others.  So for me it's a matter of when I get a PS3, not if.   

Well I still presume that will be my attitude too, especially if the price hits 500 in the next year (which I think is unlikely). Everything you listed save GoW appeals to me a lot, and I have no doubt that given its Sony and Playstation there are going to be many exclusives over the next few years that I really want to play-it just struck me that right now, I can easily wait until FF13 hits (and hope for a price drop) and not worry about it. I think it is only a matter of when with me as well, but after going through the process and then getting rid of it, I feel all the more comfortable waiting.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 03:13:04 PM »

+1, but on the iif they release a game on multiple platforms it has a chance to sell more, and these days it's more about the money.  In some cases that could be good, like with Advent Rising- it could have sold more if they had done a PS2 version and we might be looking forward to the rest of the trilogy.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 03:16:36 PM »

I think cutscene heavy games like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear have a better chance of being PS3 only due to the large capacity of Blu Ray vs DVD.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 03:28:16 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 18, 2007, 05:48:26 AM

[asskissing]okay,i know a lot of you are quite smart[/asskissing]...so can anyone please confirm whether the following link is......'bullshit or not'(<sorry ,i have just been watching Amazon women on the moon)

thanks for any answers

If this is true, then the Lock Ness Monster really was Jack the Ripper.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2007, 03:31:10 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on April 18, 2007, 03:16:36 PM

I think cutscene heavy games like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear have a better chance of being PS3 only due to the large capacity of Blu Ray vs DVD.

MGS doesn't use pre-rendered cutscenes (it's all in-engine) so any use of Bluray capacity is likely going to be for textures and whatnot that are used both in game and during cutscenes. 

Quote from: CeeKay on April 18, 2007, 03:13:04 PM

+1, but on the iif they release a game on multiple platforms it has a chance to sell more, and these days it's more about the money.  In some cases that could be good, like with Advent Rising- it could have sold more if they had done a PS2 version and we might be looking forward to the rest of the trilogy.

In general, yeah multi-platform is probably safer.  However there is something to be said for the potential boost a game can get when the platform owner gets behind it and helps with promotion and even scheduling to an extent.

For example, MS seems to be going out of their way to try and schedule their titles so that their first party stuff and third party exclusives aren't stepping on each other.  But if a game is multiplatform then they won't be so concerned about releasing a first party heavy hitter on top of it. 
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 03:42:33 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on April 18, 2007, 03:16:36 PM

I would agree with this except for the fact that historically, jrpg's tend to be the games that the publishers are least shy about going with multi-disc releases.

I'd love to see FF13 on the 360 if only so I can play it. I love the series, but have no plans to purchase a PS3, especially since money is only going to get tighter after this summer for me. Shifting plans from nursing school to medical school is going to generate a lot more expense for me.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2007, 04:46:17 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 18, 2007, 03:28:16 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 18, 2007, 05:48:26 AM

thanks for any answers

If this is true, then the Lock Ness Monster really was Jack the Ripper.

LOL icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

if MGS4 and FF games did come to 360,then i dont think i would buy PS3,or at least it would be in one or two years,depends,kingdom hearts is still up in the air as well...and the silent hill games ...there are still a few PS games out there that i like,but none have been confirmed

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2007, 04:52:04 PM »

I'm still betting Kingdom Hearts migrates to the Wii.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2007, 08:05:40 PM »

If Nintendo is smart, they will give Square Enix anything they want to put Kingdom Hearts 3 on the Wii.  A huge, exclusive game from a major developer is exactly what Nintendo needs to prove that the Wii is not just a gimmick.  Square Enix has said they are working on a KH game, but it's not KH3, so I'm guessing it's KH 2.5 (kind of like Chain of Memories was KH 1.5) for either DS or Wii.  They're probably taking a wait-and-see approach to see whether to put KH3 on Wii or PS3, just like DQ9 for the DS is giving them time to decide whether to put DQX on the Wii or PS3.

As for FF13, I'd still say it's pretty unlikely to be released on the 360, but it's possible.  I would think we'd hear something soon.  The 360 probably will be the lead platform for the next Final Fantasy online game, though.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 08:09:46 PM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2007, 08:32:59 PM »

I have a suspicion that Square Enix released that statement as a bargaining chip to get Sony to pony up more money to retain FF13's exclusivity.  It's likely Sony has already made the deal since they know how valuable having the first and perhaps second next gen Final Fantasy games would be to their console.  If they nab both FF13 and FF13 Versus, then they've got a huge exclusive there that'll help sell systems, perhaps as much a draw as FF7 sold PS1s.

Nintendo will be getting more square games, Square has definitely seen the benefit to multiplatform as they've been releasing a lot of different games for different systems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: