http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 06:37:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a person have too many of a particular type of game?  (Read 1210 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2008, 12:04:14 AM »

I consider myself a reasonable fan of first-person-shooters, I've been known to gain enjoyment from a good racer from time to time, I never tire of third-person action/adventure games, and I also enjoy the occasional action RPG when the mood catches me right.  But I always need a healthy variety of games in my backlog as I never know what kind of mood I will be in at any given moment.  I have never been able to play any one game from start to finish.  I typically need a break not just from the story but also from the gameplay, and usually I have a healthy library of game types to choose from.  Sometimes I am in the mood for racing at high speeds, sometimes I am interested in a third-person action game, sometimes I need something slow and methodical like an RPG, and sometimes I just want to shoot as many of my friends as possible in the face.  The type of game I choose to play at any given moment typically reflects my mood at the time.

But lately I've been having trouble finding a game in my library I'm in the mood to play.  And I think part of the problem is I've somehow managed to add one-too-many shooters to my library.  Lately I've found myself with a backlog full of shooters, which all have rather different storylines, but all play relatively the same way, and lately I just haven't been in a shooter kind of mood.  My backlog looks like this:

Shooters
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
Gears of War
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Halo 3
Call of Duty 4
Bioshock
Portal
Half Life 2
Far Cry

Racing
Forza 2
Test Drive: Unlimited

Sports
Madden 2008

Action/Adventure
Assassin's Creed
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
The Godfather

Role-Playing
Oblivion
Mass Effect

Other
Rock Band

Unfortunately Splinter Cell proved to be too frustrating to gain much enjoyment out of due to too much trial-and-error gameplay, The Godfather is fun but follows the GTA formula pretty closely and I've long been burned out on GTA-type games, Rock Band is a game I typically play with friends and rarely play alone, Oblivion is nice when I want to play a relaxing game on Sunday morning while enjoying a cup of coffee but recently being tasked with closing Oblivion gates in front of each and every city has sucked a great deal of fun out of the game for me, the football season is over and so I have much less motivation to play a mediocre football game in Madden '08, I haven't been in a racing mood lately, and what does that leave me with?  A whole lot of shooters to choose from.  Assassin's Creed has been a nice diversion, but I fear the repetitiveness will soon become a problem.

The 360 desparately needs more innovative third-person action games STAT!  It certainly has an impressive lineup of shooters, but when that is the foundation of your gaming library it becomes difficult to want to play yet another shooter no matter how good the story or gameplay may be.  And so Assassin's Creed is far from being without faults, but it is at least a refreshing break from my collection of shooters.  But I'm not sure how much longer I have before the repetitive gameplay drives me back into the arms of my shooter library.  The simple solution is to buy something new, but I'd really like to work through my existing backlog before buying another game.  I don't even have enough time to play what I already own. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 12:06:27 AM by PeteRock » Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 12:09:33 AM »

Read a book?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 12:13:11 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on February 06, 2008, 12:04:14 AM

The 360 desparately needs more innovative third-person action games STAT!

Devil May Cry 4.

In all seriousness, I suggest you sell your 360 and buy a Wii.

TheMissingLink on PSN
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 12:15:28 AM »

Your post was a little too long to read, so I'm just going to answer with a: perhaps.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 12:22:18 AM »

I dunno, man.  You have a pretty broad range of games there to play, so you don't have to gravitate back to the shooters.  If you just need a third-person action title, maybe go rent DMC4, despite the fact that you said the demo didn't impress you.  I really don't get the whole decision to not buy a game for a franchise you once liked, that fits what you are looking for, all based ona 10-minute demo.  Also, you and I have never played Rock Band together.....we need to fix that.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 12:47:08 AM »

I have never been able to play any one game from start to finish.

very unfortunate. while i don't finish every game i play, i can't imagine not being able to play thru any game - were i to reach that point, that'd probably be it for me as a gamer...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 01:12:13 AM »

Mass Effect perhaps maybe?

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 01:16:39 AM »

Ditch Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, Gears of War, Halo 3, Bioshock, and Far Cry.  voila!  Backlog of shooter cut by just more than half!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 01:23:49 AM »

Personally I like shooters. I play a ton of shooters.  I'm not afraid to admit it.  I have tried to play Mass Effect and Blue Dragon but I get bored quickly and go back to a shooter or Rock Band.   If you like to play shooters why not just embrace it?

I also like to play football games and I have been hooked on Rock Band since Christmas.  See that, my tastes are starting to become more diverse.   icon_biggrin

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 01:39:19 AM »

Buy some XBLA games.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 01:43:09 AM »

Quote from: depward on February 06, 2008, 12:09:33 AM

Read a book?

Many.

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 06, 2008, 12:13:11 AM

The 360 desparately needs more innovative third-person action games STAT!

Devil May Cry 4.

In all honesty, I've considered it.  But I'm waiting to read a review that makes me want to buy the game. 

In all seriousness, I suggest you sell your 360 and buy a Wii.

I didn't say I don't like to game.  I just have a number of shooters.  Trading down for a Wii might kill my enjoyment of gaming altogether.

Quote from: semiconscious on February 06, 2008, 12:47:08 AM

I have never been able to play any one game from start to finish.

very unfortunate. while i don't finish every game i play, i can't imagine not being able to play thru any game - were i to reach that point, that'd probably be it for me as a gamer...

There have been some I've managed to finish, such as GTA3, Vice City, God of War, Halo, Halo 2, and a number of others, but lately I've started a game and just haven't been able to get all the way to completion.  I'm close with Oblivion, I finished Portal, and there a number of others I'm damn close to finishing, but I'm always a sucker for teh new hotnezz.

Quote from: USMC Kato on February 06, 2008, 01:12:13 AM

Mass Effect perhaps maybe?

I have it, but I haven't loaded it up yet.  I'd like to finish Oblivion before starting another RPG.

Quote from: denoginizer on February 06, 2008, 01:23:49 AM

Personally I like shooters. I play a ton of shooters.  I'm not afraid to admit it.  I have tried to play Mass Effect and Blue Dragon but I get bored quickly and go back to a shooter or Rock Band.   If you like to play shooters why not just embrace it?

I also like to play football games and I have been hooked on Rock Band since Christmas.  See that, my tastes are starting to become more diverse.   icon_biggrin

I actually really like shooters, but lately they all feel too similar. 

Quote from: Simon on February 06, 2008, 01:39:19 AM

Buy some XBLA games.

I've spent a fortune on XBLA games.  But they don't hold my interest for very long.

I think my plan is to play through Assassin's Creed, get back into COD4 MP, and perhaps load up Mass Effect, and hopefully after some time away from shooter overload I'll be ready to get back to them.  I was just starting to feel a little overwhelmed with my shooter backlog. 

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 03:01:00 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on February 06, 2008, 01:43:09 AM

I actually really like shooters, but lately they all feel too similar.

might be because, with the odd exception (like uncharted), they are all similar smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 07:16:21 AM »

Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Gaiden Black are both backwards-compatible and should provide a challenge if you haven't played it yet.  If you have, then you might want to go through it again before Ninja Gaiden 2 comes out.  There's also Destroy All Humans, Indigo Prophecy, The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Jet Set Radio Future, Lego Star Wars I and II, Psychonauts, Robotech: Battlecry, Shenmue II, and Sid Meier's Pirates!  You might want to check out Breakdown because it's a very unique experience, even though it is in the first person perspective.

As far as 360 games, Kameo is a fun game once you get past the first level.  Crackdown lets you do a lot more that just shooting.  Dead Rising has a lot of variety and it's worth starting over a few times.

Hopefully you can find a few suggestions in there.  I don't know if you had an original Xbox, so I'm not sure if you've played those games already.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 01:26:24 PM »

Pete my friend, relax.  Everything is cool.  You just started a new job.  Things are going to be a little different for awhile.  It's all part of the natural ebb and flow of things with gaming.  Relax and enjoy the dogs, enjoy the time with Jaime and when the itch is there you will jump right back in as if you never missed a step.  Once you stop worrying about the backlog you enjoy the games more.

I hardly ever finish games as well.  In fact, the only two games I completed last year were Bullet Witch and Halo 3.  I don't worry about it.  I'm very much like you in that I play what strikes my fancy at the time.  In a typical night I play three, four or five different games and sometimes more.  Right now I'm immersed in Turok, Mass Effect, Team Fortress, Figure Skating 2K8, Godzilla Unleashed (Wii), Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), Dead Rising, Bioshock, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and more!  And next week I will add Dark Messiah and Lost Odyssey to this list!  I certainly have a nice variety of game types to choose from.  All this gaming and I still find time to squeeze in episodes of Emergency Season 4!  nod

At some point you may just want to try something you would never intend to pick up yourself.  You might just be surprised.  Something like a Dead Rising, a Japanese RPG (where story rules supreme) or even Marvel Ultimate Alliance with all those non-superheroes ( icon_wink).  I decided to try something new and ventured slowly out into the waters of multiplayer and actually having fun.  I'm awesome in Team Fortress and I started playing Turok multiplayer and enjoying it a lot.  It can be done.

Or I could be wrong about all this and it's just the simple fact that you, an Eagles fan, are now living in a world where the New York Giants are the Super Bowl Champions!!! nod icon_wink

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 03:34:44 PM »

Quote from: Graham on February 06, 2008, 07:16:21 AM

Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Gaiden Black are both backwards-compatible and should provide a challenge if you haven't played it yet.  If you have, then you might want to go through it again before Ninja Gaiden 2 comes out.

I actually really enjoyed Ninja Gaiden, at least up to a point.  The difficulty level was ridiculous and took a lot of the fun out of the game for me.  I understand that NG:Black offers the option to select an easier difficulty, but I've just never gotten around to picking it up.  I had trouble justifying buying the same damn game all over again.

There's also Destroy All Humans, Indigo Prophecy, The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Jet Set Radio Future, Lego Star Wars I and II, Psychonauts, Robotech: Battlecry, Shenmue II, and Sid Meier's Pirates!  You might want to check out Breakdown because it's a very unique experience, even though it is in the first person perspective.

As far as 360 games, Kameo is a fun game once you get past the first level.  Crackdown lets you do a lot more that just shooting.  Dead Rising has a lot of variety and it's worth starting over a few times.

Hopefully you can find a few suggestions in there.  I don't know if you had an original Xbox, so I'm not sure if you've played those games already.

I've played Lego Star Wars I and a little of II and enjoyed them, but they were more minor diversions than something I could really immerse myself into.  Some of the other games in your Xbox list have some potential, but I just have trouble going back to older games.  I'm a sucker for teh new hotnezz and rarely pick up backwards compatible titles.  Perhaps I should give it a try.

I've considered Crackdown, but I was concerned that it was too similar to the GTA series (which hindered by enjoyment of The Godfather somewhat).  Dead Rising has too many problems for me to gain much enjoyment out of it.  The save system, forced replay, etc.  I wouldn't necessarily buy it, but I may consider borrowing it from my brother in law. 

I appreciate the suggestions, though.  I've always been curious about Kameo, Crackdown has gotten a lot of buzz, and Dead Rising may find itself in my collection at some point.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 03:55:45 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on February 06, 2008, 01:26:24 PM

Pete my friend, relax.  Everything is cool.  You just started a new job.  Things are going to be a little different for awhile.  It's all part of the natural ebb and flow of things with gaming.  Relax and enjoy the dogs, enjoy the time with Jaime and when the itch is there you will jump right back in as if you never missed a step.  Once you stop worrying about the backlog you enjoy the games more.

You're probably right.  During the Christmas holiday I didn't game much, and since I've been back my heart just hasn't been into gaming lately.  And it probably has little to do with my shooter backlog.  Nothing has interested me lately.  I even have a few titles for the PS2, such as God of War II and Resident Evil 4, but games just haven't been able to hold my interest as of late.  The new job probably has something to do with it, as I've been putting in long days and have a great deal more responsibility than before.  Don't get me wrong, I love my new job (and my new car  icon_cool), but it has been receiving a great deal of my focus since the start of the new year.

And I should probably stop thinking of my backlog as a backlog.  Games lose their fun when they start to feel like an obligation rather than a fun diversion.  I just really need to start finishing games (or at least getting a little more enjoyment out of them) before moving on to a new title.  I'm a sucker for new games.  I haven't even taken the plastic wrap off of Mass Effect since Christmas.   icon_eek

I hardly ever finish games as well.  In fact, the only two games I completed last year were Bullet Witch and Halo 3.  I don't worry about it.  I'm very much like you in that I play what strikes my fancy at the time.  In a typical night I play three, four or five different games and sometimes more.  Right now I'm immersed in Turok, Mass Effect, Team Fortress, Figure Skating 2K8, Godzilla Unleashed (Wii), Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), Dead Rising, Bioshock, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and more!  And next week I will add Dark Messiah and Lost Odyssey to this list!  I certainly have a nice variety of game types to choose from.  All this gaming and I still find time to squeeze in episodes of Emergency Season 4!  nod

Unlike you I actually finish a fair number of games.  I eventually finish games I really enjoy, or games with a story I absolutely must see through to the end.  I've finished games like Halo, Halo 2, Max Payne, God of War, King Kong, Lego Star Wars, Guitar Hero II, Guitar Hero III, Portal, and I'm damn close to finishing Oblivion (I'm working my way through the main quest and only the Dark Brotherhood questline remains), I'm on the fifth assassination in Assassin's Creed, I'm close to finishing The Godfather, and I will certainly wind up finishing Bioshock, Mass Effect, Half Life 2, Gears of War (eventually), and many others in my collection.  I guess I've just been in a gaming rut lately.  It happens.

At some point you may just want to try something you would never intend to pick up yourself.  You might just be surprised.  Something like a Dead Rising, a Japanese RPG (where story rules supreme) or even Marvel Ultimate Alliance with all those non-superheroes ( icon_wink).  I decided to try something new and ventured slowly out into the waters of multiplayer and actually having fun.  I'm awesome in Team Fortress and I started playing Turok multiplayer and enjoying it a lot.  It can be done.

I've "tried something new" on many occasions.  Hell, the forum effect gets me every time.  I've picked up many games I normally wouldn't have even considered, such as The Godfather, Bioshock, even COD4.  But there are just some games I can't get into.  Japanese RPGs will never interest me, no matter what the story is like, turn-based games bore me to death (hence why I never finished KOTOR or even bothered to pick up KOTOR 2), and I've played Marvel Ultimate Alliance, but it was too much like the X-Men Legends series, and I eventually got bored with it.  But, your suggestions and reasoning make perfect sense.

Lately I've also gotten back into shooting pool and have been spending more time practicing and playing with friends which also takes away from my gaming time.  For my birthday I grabbed a couple of books to help refine my game and I finally picked up a new cue and have absolutely loved it (instead of spending the money on expensive inlays I instead put it toward getting a nice solid maple two-piece cue with an irish linen wrap, although it does happen to have an airbrushed skull at the base and a demon skeleton warrior just above the wrap  ninja).  I've been hitting the local pool halls a couple of nights a week to practice and I've been playing with friends or in small tournaments on the weekends (I don't usually play 9-ball, but I recently played in a 9-ball tournament and didn't do too badly - in the later brackets I ran into some really good players and eventually lost, but it was still fun for $10).  It has been nice to have something motivating me to get out a little more often.  I guess many of us go through lulls in our gaming, and I was just a little overdue.  But I've gotten back into other hobbies I enjoy.

Or I could be wrong about all this and it's just the simple fact that you, an Eagles fan, are now living in a world where the New York Giants are the Super Bowl Champions!!! nod icon_wink

I loathe you.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 04:45:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 06, 2008, 01:16:39 AM

Ditch Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, Gears of War, Halo 3, Bioshock, and Far Cry.  voila!  Backlog of shooter cut by just more than half!

Worst advice Ever.

All are A tier games (with the possible exception of far cry- never played it).

The solution is to game more.

Or take a break.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 06:48:36 PM »

I know what you mean PR.  2 diversions and 2 older games that might fit:

1. Puzzle Quest (xbla)- an entirely different, extremely addictive game.  There's a good amount of gameplay in the Demo, so give it a shot.
2. Psychonauts is now available as an Original, and is probably just the kind of 3rd person platformer it sounds like you want.  Story and humor are great, though the last level or 2 is insanely difficult compared to the rest of the game.
3. Kameo may also apply as a change of pace 3rd person action-platformer (with Co-op as a nice bonus).
4. Tomb Raider: Legend was one of the best games I've played on the 360.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 06:50:54 PM by Pyperkub » Logged

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 08:15:46 PM »

Pete, if you want to borrow Crackdown I can mail it to you.

I HAVE a backlog (as I am reviewing for GT) so there is stuff I need to explore.
I'm not forcing it though, because then I lose the fun aspect and the review becomes a little to technical.

As it stands right now I have played COD4 maybe 4 times (it's collecting dust right now).

I'm in the midst of reviewing Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom (360), Smackdown Vs. Raw 2008 (Wii) and Samurai Warriors: Katana.

After playing Soldier of Fortune: Payback I'm pretty tired of FPSes.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
depward

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 08:23:04 PM »

I almost think you need to give up gaming and go into the book business writing short stories   icon_confused  But that's just me...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: