http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 07:02:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling it Quits on a Game: What's Your Threshold?  (Read 2213 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2007, 06:27:36 PM »

It had been very rare that I'd give up on a game.  If I bought it, I sure was gonna get my money out of it.  Hence my backlog had grown so large.  With the recent sell off and the addition of the 360 I've become far more willing to cast off games that I didn't really care for and/or know I won't get back to.

What is your threshold for giving up on a game? Is it based solely on whether you like it or not- or do you take into account costs v. getting your money's worth?

An example of a game I wouldn't bother to play through now is Shadow of the Colossus.  A rare example of a game I gave up on very quickly- literally 10 minutes- was Soul Caliber II.

Right now I have DQ8 and while I'm loving it, I can't see myself giving it another 70 hrs.  On 360 the game that actually spawned this topic is Battle for Middle Earth II.

Craving somethign I hadn't played in a while- RTS- I took the gamble to the tune of 28.00. It's ok and I love the Tolkein universe, but the controls and map navigation are eye-clawing out frustrating.

Still I feel compelled to continue...

unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 06:36:25 PM »

I can't stand fighting games anymore.  Any game which requires me to remember pages of moves for each different character... ugh.  I just can't do it anymore.

Despite my backlog, I try to be really selective about what gets added to it.  If there are games without any enjoyment value, I try to steer clear of them.  Why waste the time, when I have other, better, games waiting to be played?

With FPS games, I'm usually more lenient.  I may have only given up on three FPS games: SiN, Daikatan, and Serious Sam.  SS I gave up on not because it was bad (sorry Sam, don't mean to lump you in with those other two... honest!), it's just that for me, it started getting really repetitive. 

I kind of gave up on Doom 3, but I might revisit it; I don't even consider it as having been 'started', since I was playing it on my brother's computer, and didn't even intend to play through it there (I never even saved).

With RPG games, they have to grab me.  FFIX I put aside, but I plan on playing through again.  DivDiv I gave up on for the same reason as Sacred- the style of game just didn't interest me.  I was hoping for something more Diablo-esque, but the games were too big, and the action really didn't flow.  I think I've also given up on Titan Quest.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 06:38:58 PM »

With games that aren't really grabbing me, I don't think about it in the moment. I just put it on the back burner and move on to other games thinking maybe I'll try it again someday.

Then when there's a flood of new releases at the end of each quarter, I raid my collection for games that can be traded in. If it hasn't been played in a while, and I don't think I'll ever get the urge to try again, I cut my losses and trade it in to make more room on my shelf. Gotta thin the herd occasionally.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 06:43:30 PM »

If I get bored with a game, I stop playing it.  Sometimes that takes 5 minutes.  Sometimes that takes 5 days.

I've never traded in any games, because... I dunno why really.  I guess cause I feel I may have the urge to play them someday.  I do trade every now and then, but not that often.

gellar
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 06:47:02 PM »

With RPG's (particularly console RPG's but really any kind) there's a point about 4-5 hours in where I usually want to give up.  By that point the newness has worn off, the story hasn't picked up and other games that are shiny and sparkly can grab my attention.  But if I keep on playing for another couple of hours I'm usually hooked till the end of the game.  That's happened to me over and over enough that I just count on it and push through that initial dry spot.

First-person shooters I'm much less patient with.  I gave up on FEAR after about an hour of cubicle after office after cubicle after office...

Strategy games rarely hold my interest after more than a couple of hours.  I buy them used and cheap and usually feel like I've gotten my money if I play them for more than 4 or 5 hours.

Bottom line for me is if there's the promise of a good story or if the gameplay is really something amazing then I'll stick with it.  Otherwise it gets the axe.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 06:49:53 PM »

Well....you guys talked me into FFV (GBA) to keep on going!  I'm doing that...its been painful at times, but according to the game, I've put in over 19hours on this thing - staring into the small screen!!  The verdict, I think I'm about halfway through, is that its an enjoyable game.  I think my threshold is when the game presents nothing new, and it becomes a tedious "action" to do.  So far on FFV, its not that way - so I'll keep going.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 06:50:50 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 11, 2007, 06:27:36 PM

Right now I have DQ8 and while I'm loving it, I can't see myself giving it another 70 hrs.  On 360 the game that actually spawned this topic is Battle for Middle Earth II.

70 hours ??!!

I would not even consider playing a game that takes 70 hours to finish at this point.  There are too many other games out there, and my gaming time is much less than it used to be. 

Once I start a game I have a very difficult time letting it go.  I try not to purchase games that I know I have no chance of finishing.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 06:57:22 PM »

It's very rare for me to finish games. I tend to play one game a whole lot for a period of days or weeks, then put it down for something else and not go back.

As an aside...this thread is kind of funny if you read it as having to do with personal relationships rather than games...

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 06:58:13 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on January 11, 2007, 06:38:58 PM

With games that aren't really grabbing me, I don't think about it in the moment. I just put it on the back burner and move on to other games thinking maybe I'll try it again someday.

Then when there's a flood of new releases at the end of each quarter, I raid my collection for games that can be traded in. If it hasn't been played in a while, and I don't think I'll ever get the urge to try again, I cut my losses and trade it in to make more room on my shelf. Gotta thin the herd occasionally.

Pretty much the same strategy here.  If it isn't "fun" then I set it aside and figure I'll come back to it later.  At a certain point you realize you won't ever come back and you cut your losses (if possible).

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 07:07:42 PM »

If I find myself falling asleep while playing then I might give it a pass (looking at you "Jade Empire"). Also, if I flat don't have the time to devote to it then I'll put it aside for a while. If I was at least having fun playing it then I will come back to it eventually. I'm on the fence right now as to whether to just give up and trade in both Jade Empire and Gladius since neither grabbed me and they're just sitting there taunting me while taking up space on my shelf.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 07:11:43 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on January 11, 2007, 06:57:22 PM

As an aside...this thread is kind of funny if you read it as having to do with personal relationships rather than games...

That's pretty insightful.  I think my attitudes toward keeping games and other stuff has actually changed as my attitudes toward personal relationships has.

Has anyone had games they were really, really excited to get, then once they got them, you never really played it much?  Not so much not being interested, as not putting much time into it?  I was that way with Baldur's Gate: I got it on the first day it was released (and overpayed for it  mad)... then it sat around a month before I even installed it.  And I really had to force myself to finish it up.  Never did finish the expansion, either.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 07:38:02 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 11, 2007, 07:11:43 PM

Has anyone had games they were really, really excited to get, then once they got them, you never really played it much? 

Bully = 1 hr
Okami = 9 hrs  Both sold on Ebay.

I'm on the fence right now as to whether to just give up and trade in both Jade Empire and Gladius since neither grabbed me and they're just sitting there taunting me while taking up space on my shelf.

Jade Empire sux. Don't bother. Put it under the tire of your car and crush it.  Gladius, on the other hand, is brilliant.  I finished that game after an all too short 55 hrs.  Man that was fun.  Meant to go back and play the other path but never did and sold it.  icon_frown
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 07:39:56 PM »

A lot of it depends on the buzz on the game.  As warning mentioned, a lot of RPGs suck horribly for five or so hours.  If I've read that a game has a really slow start but really picks up and is well worth it, then I'll usually push through.  However, if I'm in a portion of the game that everyone else seems to love but I'm really bored then I'll just assume the game wasn't for me and move on. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 08:41:56 PM »

Usually I just end up losing interest in the game. I was really into Enchanted Arms the first 8 hours, but then it began to drag like a mofo, and I decided I didn't care to finish it.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 08:48:20 PM »

I very rarely finish games.  I will play most games until they don't interest me anymore, then move on.  Occasionally one will hook me all the way through (most recently FFXII & Dreamfall), but they're few and far between.  As a general rule, I try to give most non-RPG's at least 2 hours, and I try to give RPG's at least 8 hours.  If a game doesn't grab me by then, chances are it never will.  There have been a few that have seen less than that, but that's pretty much my "make it or break it" point.  I've only spent 70+ hours on 3 games in my life:  FFVII, FFXII, and FF Tactics Advance. 

The shortest I've ever spent with a game is 5 minutes with the Earthworm Jim 2 port for GBA.  Bought it used, played it for 5 minutes in the parking lot of the Gamestop, and immediately took it back in for credit.

Moatman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 12:34:09 AM »

I tend to buy games and then either play them very briefly or not at all, then shelve them and go back to the main game I'm playing at the moment(usually an mmo like WoW)  Because of this, I have a *huge* backlog, dating back about 10 years...though I tend to give preference to newer games, which means I have games I'll likely never play or finish.

I tend to stop a game when I get either stuck or bored, depending on the situation.  I started playing max payne 2 when it originally came out, then stopped about 70% of the way in and didn't pick it up again for another 2 or 3 years, where I finished it.  I played final fantasy 10 in about 3 chunks spread over about 2 years, none lasting longer than a few days or a week.  I still haven't gone back to GTA: San Andreas yet, I didn't get stuck but I got a bit burnt-out/overwhelmed, I'll go back eventually(until I get stuck...)  I got ff4 for the gba, played it a bit when I first got it but put it down for a good year or more(forget when it came out) but when I got in the mood again, I finished it and put a decent dent into FF5 for the gba I picked up because I was still in the mood for that, but now I'm in a lull.

I find that I'm good for finishing first and third person shooters as long as there aren't timed elements that screw me up.  I always get stuck in platformers and can never finish them, I used to be good at them as a kid...  Rpg's I tend to break up into chunks to play when I *really* am in the mood(I do this with other games too, but rpg's tend to be long enough to always be broken up)  Hell, half life 2 wasn't amazingly long and I took a year or more to finish it, just playing one or two nights at a time.  I get the most enjoyment out of that because I play them when I just get this huge urge to, so I'm not just playing to finish like I've done with some games.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 01:48:09 AM »

I usually do what Morton does - I'll put a game aside thinking I'll get back to it but then never do. That doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy the game while playing it; for instance, I really like FF12, but I stopped playing it for awhile since I needed to do other stuff. I hope to get back to it soon, but who knows if that will happen.

Sometimes I can just tell when a game doesn't grab me, though. I probably played Okami about 5 or 6 hours before calling it quits. There have been other games I've played less.

P.S. Don't get caught up in how many hours you have left in DQ8, ATB. I sincerely doubt you have as many as you think. I think I beat the game in something like 55 hours, and that was with doing all of the Arena stuff.
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 02:33:52 AM »

It's all about fun vs frustration.  The best example of this (for me) was the first Buffy game.  There was a level in the dream realm.  Had to fight demons, jump around.  Fight demons. Dodge blades and jump around.  Then jump onto twisting platforms.  Any slip and instant death.  After fighting my way through nearly the whole level and dying, I have up (for quite a while).  I recently revisted the game and decided I was going to get through it.  I did.  That was pretty much the hardest level in the game for me.  Even the final boss levels were cake compared to that damn jumping level.

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 02:41:34 AM »

I am the type that normally says I will take a break rather than just quit. I quit a game if its just purely not fun, if its beyond irritating, too much trial and error, etc. If its in the middle of all those things I usually try to take a break and come back, which rarely happens. Sometimes I think a game has potential but is frustrating, so I take a break and then actually do come back. Its just all about how much its worth it to me. There were a few 360 games I literally put in the machine, spent an hour with, took out and never put them back in and never felt bad ab out it. Then here is a game like Splinter Cell DA 360 that I played like 8 hours, couldn't get into because of frustration, quit and sold, and still have a hankering to play (although the frustration would probably come right back)
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 02:55:39 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 12, 2007, 02:41:34 AM

Then here is a game like Splinter Cell DA 360 that I played like 8 hours, couldn't get into because of frustration, quit and sold, and still have a hankering to play (although the frustration would probably come right back)

I have had an on and off relationship with SC:DA for a couple of months.  I think I am only one or two missions from finishing but I can't bring myself to go back and play it anymore.  It might be going back along with GRAW and Battlefield 360 tomorrow towards Lost Planet or Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 03:31:42 AM »

I just put Gears of War out to pasture. I just started Chapter 5 in Hardcore (never played any other difficulty) and was just tired of it.  Some areas would take four and five tries to clear, I would get through them only to get to the next area, no checkpoint, and get whacked and have to start all the way back. I loved the game. I liked the multiplayer, and I suspect I'll just borrow my friends copy to knock out that last chapter. I got $43 for it, I spent $45 on it or so, can't complain too much about that.

I call quits when I feel like I am pushing through parts of the game just to see the end. I'll keep playing a game that hasn't "grabbed" me yet in the hopes that it sinks in and grabs my whole attention, but I won't force myself to finish a game just to see the end.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 03:43:06 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on January 12, 2007, 03:31:42 AM

I just put Gears of War out to pasture. I just started Chapter 5 in Hardcore (never played any other difficulty) and was just tired of it.  Some areas would take four and five tries to clear, I would get through them only to get to the next area, no checkpoint, and get whacked and have to start all the way back. I loved the game. I liked the multiplayer, and I suspect I'll just borrow my friends copy to knock out that last chapter. I got $43 for it, I spent $45 on it or so, can't complain too much about that.

While the ending itself isn't really worth it, you could always have bumped Gears' difficulty level down for just the last chapter. 
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 03:52:30 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 12, 2007, 03:43:06 AM

While the ending itself isn't really worth it, you could always have bumped Gears' difficulty level down for just the last chapter. 

I don't think I could've lived with my inner gamer if I did that, especially knowing that would leave a couple of achievements locked, and those little bubble bastards drive me crazy enough when the urge to get them pops as it is. Great thing about playing Hardcore is that it unlocks all the Casual achievements at the same time!

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 03:56:11 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on January 12, 2007, 03:52:30 AM

I don't think I could've lived with my inner gamer if I did that, especially knowing that would leave a couple of achievements locked, and those little bubble bastards drive me crazy enough when the urge to get them pops as it is. Great thing about playing Hardcore is that it unlocks all the Casual achievements at the same time!

Argh, achievements.  I just don't get it. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 04:16:12 AM »

I think playing GoW on casual the first time makes the game much more enjoyable.  I am playing it again co-op on hardcore with my wife.  I think it will be the first game I will have finished twice.  The AI on hardcore is much more aggressive and the enemies seem to have twice the hit points.  I don't think I would have had as much fun playing my first run through on solo hardcore.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 05:38:56 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 12, 2007, 03:56:11 AM

Argh, achievements.  I just don't get it. 

It's just insanely addictive if you get yourself in the completion mindset.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 01:32:12 PM »

Quote from: Space Herpes on January 12, 2007, 02:33:52 AM

It's all about fun vs frustration.  The best example of this (for me) was the first Buffy game.  There was a level in the dream realm.  Had to fight demons, jump around.  Fight demons. Dodge blades and jump around.  Then jump onto twisting platforms.  Any slip and instant death.  After fighting my way through nearly the whole level and dying, I have up (for quite a while).  I recently revisted the game and decided I was going to get through it.  I did.  That was pretty much the hardest level in the game for me.  Even the final boss levels were cake compared to that damn jumping level.

That is a prime example of one of the hardest and most frustrating portions of a game I've played. I was very near controller smashing mad.

Though I've never seen the show, there's something about buffy games that make them inherently playable to me.  I played the sequel- was cool on the graphical redesign and put it up for months.  Then I came back to it, got totally into it and around 40% of the way through it started crashing early and often.  I was disappointed but didn't need to stress so I never finished it.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2007, 01:34:48 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 12, 2007, 04:16:12 AM

I think playing GoW on casual the first time makes the game much more enjoyable.  I am playing it again co-op on hardcore with my wife.  I think it will be the first game I will have finished twice.  The AI on hardcore is much more aggressive and the enemies seem to have twice the hit points.  I don't think I would have had as much fun playing my first run through on solo hardcore.

Wait till you try insane!

And Tebunker- Wish you would join us for our Friday night killfests.  But in any case, the 5th level is the shortest so you're not too far from being done.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 12, 2007, 05:38:56 AM

It's just insanely addictive if you get yourself in the completion mindset.

Yeah, it's been hashed out in other threads thoroughly and while I see the appeal to an extent when I read about people not wanting to lower the difficulty because they miss achievements or ATB playing through BFME 2 more for points than enjoying the game it just seems detrimental to me. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2007, 01:57:35 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 11, 2007, 07:38:02 PM

I'm on the fence right now as to whether to just give up and trade in both Jade Empire and Gladius since neither grabbed me and they're just sitting there taunting me while taking up space on my shelf.

Jade Empire sux. Don't bother. Put it under the tire of your car and crush it.  Gladius, on the other hand, is brilliant.  I finished that game after an all too short 55 hrs.  Man that was fun.  Meant to go back and play the other path but never did and sold it.  icon_frown

Whoa, hold on there son. You recommend destroying Jade Empire, and yet you can in good conscience sell Sea Dogs 2 Pirates (Xbox) on eBay?

That's going too far, ATB. Too far indeed. At least you could FINISH Jade Empire.  icon_twisted

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2007, 02:22:46 PM »

Being the consumate collector. I often go back into my collection as far back as pong mind you. And will play a title.

I cant articulate the fun of hooking up a colecovision and hearing the cosmic avenger starting music.

So No, I keep all my games, and NEVER know when I get the urge.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2007, 04:26:18 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 12, 2007, 01:57:35 PM

Whoa, hold on there son. You recommend destroying Jade Empire, and yet you can in good conscience sell Sea Dogs 2 Pirates (Xbox) on eBay?

That's going too far, ATB. Too far indeed. At least you could FINISH Jade Empire.  icon_twisted

wow, ATB is indeed on crack.

Anyways, I'm done with a game the moment the frustration factor outweighs the fun factor.  Other than that once I've finished a game I usually don't bother going back for achievements or hidden areas unless it's a really good game.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2007, 11:03:33 PM »

I'm trying to come to grips with the fact that I just don't "get" certain genres and I should not buy certain games no matter how well received they are.  TBS, RTS and RPGs with complex character/battle systems fall into this category.  I'd say there are 2 reasons for this.  #1 is I am a badtm gamer.  I don't have the reflexes to win at Starcraft and I will never beat a 12 year old at Halo.  And I need to be led around a little bit.  I am honest with myself about this and I am ok with it.  #2 is that I have "ADD" - quotes so as not to offend anyone who has actually been diagnosed with ADD, but I mean that I have a very short attention span for any game that requires too much of my attention.  I don't want to have to start comparing unit types and how many squares I can move or what combination of potions I need to beat one boss vs. another.

Problem is I have yet to apply this to my game buying.  I feel like since I bought Advance Wars, I should try to finish it, even though I have picked it up and put it down 5 times.  I feel like I should finish Fallout, even though after I buy my vault 200 more days from the water merchants my head about explodes from the amount of quests I have to choose from.

I think if I could call it quits on games I'd be a lot happier.  I took my first big step a little while ago when I got rid of Sly 3 - maybe Advance Wars should be next.  Except then I'll need to explain to my fiance why I'm selling the copy of Advance Wars: Dual Strike that she got me as a gift, even though I never played it.  But I guess that's a whole different thread.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: