http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 04:22:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of Juarez shots and info -- old west shooter  (Read 1735 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2006, 03:49:08 PM »

http://www.callofjuarez.com/

An upcomg old west shooter..YAY! We need more old west games.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 06:47:21 PM »

Well it certainly looks very cinematic with the bloom/HDR lighting and depth of field blurring and all that jazz.

However, it is being developed by Techland who has a pretty spotty track record at best.  Xpand Rally was quite good and looked very nice, but their other games (including first person shooters Chrome and Chrome: SpecForce) didn't exactly set the world afire.  

Plus, it's an Old West game being developed in Poland...that just seems slightly wrong.

EDIT: I spied this hands-on preview, which doesn't exactly instill me with confidence.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Papageno
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 09:39:30 PM »

Hmm, that preview didn't read that badly, actually.  Not so crazy about the title of the game.

Re: the Polish development house--where is Neversoft based?  _Gun_ was certainly fun enough.  The only thing it lacked was a random bounty and pony express mission generator, and less spastic animations when you talked to the NPCs.  Otherwise it was a blast, I thought.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 02:04:50 AM »

Quote from: "Papageno"

Re: the Polish development house--where is Neversoft based?  _Gun_ was certainly fun enough.  The only thing it lacked was a random bounty and pony express mission generator, and less spastic animations when you talked to the NPCs.  Otherwise it was a blast, I thought.

Neversoft is located in Woodland Hills, California, actually.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 08:53:03 PM »

I'm sure the Polish, like the Italians, have nothing to add to the Western genre.

PSN ID: EduardoX
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 04:31:30 AM »

Quote from: "Eduardo X"
I'm sure the Polish, like the Italians, have nothing to add to the Western genre.

A very good point.  

I am still resolutely skeptical on Techland, though.  I would love to see an awesome new western shooter, but from what I've seen this will not be it.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 12:35:20 PM »

Quote from: "Eduardo X"

Uh, must I remind you that the two greatest Westerns of all time (The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly and Once Upon a Time In the West) were both created by Italians?

/scoff

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 12:53:17 PM »

I think Ed was kidding smile

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 01:42:02 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
I think Ed was kidding smile

I'm sure he was too, but I never miss the chance to kick him. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 01:28:14 AM »

Speaking of GUN, I was at Best Buy today and noticed that the PC version has finally dropped down to $20.  I've been waiting for that inevitable drop for a while and took the oportunity to pick it up.  Since I just finished the first difficulty in Titan Quest, I will have to give this a try tonight.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 01:06:38 AM »

Well, there is now an English language demo available for this fella.  You can find it at all the usual places, like FileFront, 3D Gamers, WorthPlaying, etc.  

I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm in the process of downloading it.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 01:01:26 PM »

I tried it...it wont run. I get to the part with the mission briefing voice where it should load the mission but it never loads it. If I hit spacebar it dumps me to desktop with an error box that passes too fast for me to read it.

I do like the voice work I hear smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 02:37:12 PM »

I downloaded the demo last night-  actually, I downloaded it twice as the first time I accidentally grabbed the German version  :oops:.  It's OK, nothing seemed to jump out at me, but I only played part of the first level so far.  

The Engine: (I'm running the demo on a P4 3.2 gig w/ 1 gig of RAM and a 256 meg 6800 PCI Express video card)
The loading for the first level takes forever (about 2 minutes or so) but once it did everything ran smoothly.  The game gives you an option to use Pixel Shaders 2.0 or 3.0, so I tried 3.0 and everything looked very jagged.  I switched to 2.0 and everything was nice and smooth looking.  The town looks nice and the fire effect is pretty cool

Gameplay
Mostly it's typical FPS fare but you can play 2 different characters.  I played the first level available where you play an old priest who apparently was a former gunslinger (think Unforgiven but add hellfire and brimstone).  You can use 2 six shooters and each mouse button fires them seperately.  I'm so used to using only the LMB so I kept on running out of ammo very quickly and having to reload.  There is a focus mode where, once you holster both of your pistols, you can draw them and everything goes into slow motion.  During the slo-mo two crosshairs creep acrossed the screen (one for each pistol) and you can use them to aim and fire up to six shots each.  It comes in handy when you enter a room with multiple enemies as it makes it easier for a 1 shot 1 kill.  Outside of this mode it seems to take several bullets to kill an enemy.   You have to be careful not to overheat the pistols, as if you fire them too much over a short period of time they'll heat up and cause the ammo in the chamber to cook off, rendering the gun useless.  Also, the priest also has a bible which is supposed to distract the enemy somehow but I couldn't get it to work right.

Sound:
Nothing special here but I'm only using 2.1 speakers.  The voiceover seems decent.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 12:15:56 AM »

Absolutely loved it and cannot wait.  Day one purchase for this fella.  Hated Gun, but this is right up my alley.  Love the whole stealth elements thrown in with the action.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 01:08:03 AM »

Wish it would run. Ive checked every forum i can find. Im guessing my 4200 vid card is just too old. Guess ill have to delete the demo. Damnit I really really wanted to try it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: