http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 05:40:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XBLA/PC/PSN] Call of Juarez: The Gunslinger  (Read 1386 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2012, 12:10:11 AM »

from their Facebook page:

looks like an announcement is imminent.   I wonder if they'll try and imitate Red Dead Redemption's open world gameplay, or if they'll stick to a more level based style.  I know Bound in Blood had some open areas, but I'm thinking something on the scale of the RDR world.

either way it's nice to see they're going back to the Old West and not going for the present (or even a futuristic) setting.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:35:04 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 12:49:02 AM »

I'm surprised - The Cartel was such a big hit and beloved by critics icon_surprised

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 04:22:53 AM »

Good news. BiB was pretty fun and westerns are rare these days.  Glad the last one didn't kill the franchise.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 06:37:17 PM »

XBLA, PC and PSN.  you hunt famous outlaws.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »

I didn't like the first game,missed out on the second and third games although i heard they were better

4th game,maybe with it being XBL etc i may give it a shot

More info(new Trailer) due to drop on March 14th,its set for release ..well now(early 2013)

but right now,here are a few screenshots and there is a video in the link
CVG

Looking fairly decent for an Arcade game
These pics from 360a.org because the CVG ones were quite large(EDIT: Larger)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:43:22 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 06:11:25 PM »

Real-life historical figures such as Billy the Kid and Jesse James feature amidst a lot of blood-spattered shooting. There's also a mine train section and plenty of sunset-soaked vistas.

trailer in the link
Eurogamer

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 10:20:58 PM »

May 22nd for 1200 Microsoft Points

trailer in the link
360a.org

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 12:31:11 PM »

Gamespot really liked it and gave the game an 8/10 in their review.  After reading the review, the game sounds quite a bit like Bulletstorm.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 02:43:04 PM »

Picked it up for 8.99 on GMG 25% off. Looking good, RPS also liked it

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 07:19:33 PM »

If purchased through Steam you also get Call of Juarez - Bound in Blood for free. Not sure how well Gunslinger will run on my Radeon HD 6570 though.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 01:18:52 PM »

Played the first mission of this last night.  Have to say I love it.  Honestly, I don't know why they didn't work up some multiplayer and make this a full release (although I don't know how long the story mode is).

So far, I don't see how this connects to the original Juarez stories, so it may just be a branding title that's been tacked on, but given how they threw it out and spat on it with the last release, I'm okay with that.  The first two games were good at telling their story, but the gameplay, while decent, wasn't quite there.  This one is the same, though the gameplay is even better than in previous games.

The story is pretty cool.  You walk into a bar at the turn of the century and a kid who recognizes you from dime novels wants to hear some stories.  Apparently, you are the Forrest Gump of the Old West, because you seem to have met everyone (at least that's what I gather from the trailer).  The first levels are with Billy the Kid and Pat Garrett.  There's even a part where the kid takes over the story, and then you have to rewind and tell him how it actually went down.

The graphics are good.  There was a moment at the beginning of the first level where they opened the scene with a wood grain effect, and I got excited that the whole game was going to look like that, but I suppose that would be too much.  They do a bit of cel shading so it has a Borderlands feel, but not quite as pronounced as in that game.  The animations seem good.  Everything looks really nice, again like this should have been a full release title.

If there's an issue with the graphics, it's that the people are hard to make out against the background until they move.  This was likely intentional, though.  There's a special meter that you fill up over time that lets you use Focus mode, which slows things down and makes the enemies stand out in a cool, etched, red and white pattern.  It doesn't last as long as it should, but there are upgrades to get along the way, and some of those will likely help in that department.

Shooting feels right.  The shots have a good weight to them.  The sights are a little off, usually you have to aim just a little lower or higher than you'd expect, but in a way that seems to be consistent.  I was able to pull off satisfying headshots fairly frequently.

Movement is a little more glidey than I would like, but just a hair, and I got used to it right away.

The showdowns are fun.  Similar to how they worked in past games.  You face your opponent, and he moves slowly around, while you have to stay focused on him with the right stick.  When he starts to draw, you hit the right trigger, aim and hit the trigger again to fire.  Now I have to say that something disconnected for me between the focusing and the aiming.  I'm not sure if it's that the speed of the cursor changes or if there's an actual switch in look movement orientation or if it's just that I'm used to an inverted look style, but not in that context.  I don't know, but I had an okay time keeping my opponent in focus, but was suddenly all over the place when it came time to shoot him.  I think it's just me, and I'll get used to it, but I may need to check some options the next time I get to a showdown.  Despite that, as I say, it is fun.  The tension pre-draw is just right.  And I only had to do it twice.

For the collection hounds (like me) there are "Nuggets of Truth" on each level.  These get you a cool bit of historical back story that explain how things really went down.  They also get you experience.  Everything gets you experience.  Killing dudes, shooting wildlife, hitting stray cans and bottles, etc.  You spend the experience on upgrades.  There are three categories to focus on.  I forget what their names are (something like gunslinger, ranger and shootist, but that isn't it).  Each one has twelve upgrades.  I started with the Ranger category, which let me get a small bit of focus anytime I aimed down the sites, which helps me line up shots at range.  That fits my playstyle best.  The other starting choices would let you carry two six shooters or give you a 25% chance of shots missing you.  The upgrades are arranged like bullets in a six-shooter, so once you unlock the first one in a category, two more open up on either side of it.  

Overall, I am very pleased with the game.  I'm curious what thought went into making it an arcade release instead of a full one, as it really does seem that polished.  The story is well done, the graphics are top notch, the gameplay is very good.  It all comes together in a great package.  I would love to play this multiplayer (the last Juarez game had some interesting MP, IIRC), and I'm more of a single player guy.  Regardless, it is definitely worth checking out.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 01:28:04 PM »

Id agree with all the above, really looking forward to getting home and playing this some more.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 05:16:43 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 23, 2013, 01:18:52 PM

So far, I don't see how this connects to the original Juarez stories, so it may just be a branding title that's been tacked on, but given how they threw it out and spat on it with the last release, I'm okay with that.

they could just be making it a brand like Call of Duty; don't forget up until Modern Warfare/Word at War they weren't interconnected beyond being able to kill Nazis.  I was planning on skipping this after the whole reveal but not I think I'm back in.

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 06:21:07 PM »

I just played the trial on XBLA and yup, it's a lot of fun  icon_biggrin

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 06:47:47 PM »

This one flew under my radar but I got a chance to play the demo the other night and it was actually pretty good. I liked the way they tell the story by having you play the missions as your character is recounting events to a captive audience. I'm probably going to get to go for the full version on XBLA. I heard the campaign is a decent length as well.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 03:22:18 AM »

One of the little story devices I like is how you'll be sent down a path that ends in disaster and then the narrator will say something like "...and that's why it was a good thing I decided not to go that way". Very cool  thumbsup

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 07:59:57 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on May 24, 2013, 03:22:18 AM

One of the little story devices I like is how you'll be sent down a path that ends in disaster and then the narrator will say something like "...and that's why it was a good thing I decided not to go that way". Very cool  thumbsup

Yeah its a clever trick and has worked well so far. I only managed 30minutes last night before the wife wanted my attention, i stuck at the gattling gun part atm on mission 2.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 01:48:27 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on May 24, 2013, 07:59:57 AM

Yeah its a clever trick and has worked well so far. I only managed 30minutes last night before the wife wanted my attention, i stuck at the gattling gun part atm on mission 2.

It's all about running and ducking up those rocks, but that end bit is a pain in the ass.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 08:57:53 PM »

This really is an awesome game, more so when you consider it's only 1200 XBL points. It is very much up my alley, a shooter without a bunch of over the top techno add-ons. I'd even prefer it didn't have the dynamite option, but it's really necessary at some points.

I thought the Flooded Town was a great level... till I got to the Railway Robbery  icon_biggrin

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 06:41:11 PM »

Finished it up today, maybe ten hours of gameplay in the story. There's still the Arcade and some other mode Duels modes to try out and maybe try the main story with a different skill set (I used long range shooting first time through). Definitely worth the price, a lot of fun nod

UPDATE: Turns out when you finish the first time through you can go back and start the story again, but retaining all the skills you unlocked in the previous go-through; this is called New Game+. Interesting, I might give it a look.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 06:44:54 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 06:48:28 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on May 25, 2013, 06:41:11 PM

Finished it up today, maybe ten hours of gameplay in the story.

I'd say it's closer to half that for the story.   It does have the Arcade mode and Newgame+ for replayability.  Easily still worth what they are asking for it, campaign roughly as long as a CoD singleplayer I'd say.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 07:15:07 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on May 25, 2013, 06:48:28 PM

Quote from: jztemple2 on May 25, 2013, 06:41:11 PM

Finished it up today, maybe ten hours of gameplay in the story.

I'd say it's closer to half that for the story.   It does have the Arcade mode and Newgame+ for replayability.  Easily still worth what they are asking for it, campaign roughly as long as a CoD singleplayer I'd say.

Mine was closer to ten hours because I wandered all over each level just poking around. There are a bunch of destructible items around if you have the ammo to spare. I started the story again in New Game+ mode on Hard and trying to stay in dual wielding mode. It plays much differently than with the rifle.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 06:08:40 AM »

just saw there's a demo up on Steam for this now.

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 12:53:39 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 24, 2013, 01:48:27 PM

It's all about running and ducking up those rocks, but that end bit is a pain in the ass.

Argh... currently "stuck" at that point. Need to get back to it when next I feel like dying repeatedly.  icon_confused

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 01:45:57 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on May 30, 2013, 12:53:39 PM

One of the little story devices I like is how you'll be sent down a path that ends in disaster and then the narrator will say something like "...and that's why it was a good thing I decided not to go that way". Very cool  thumbsup

Argh... currently "stuck" at that point. Need to get back to it when next I feel like dying repeatedly.  icon_confused

I managed that bit last night. Go up the leftt and at the top is a wagon. On the right hand side of the wagon is a crate, shoot through it and you can hit him. As he fires back he destroys more of the crate allowing you to kill him.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2013, 03:43:05 AM »

Quote from: Reemul on May 30, 2013, 01:45:57 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on May 30, 2013, 12:53:39 PM

One of the little story devices I like is how you'll be sent down a path that ends in disaster and then the narrator will say something like "...and that's why it was a good thing I decided not to go that way". Very cool  thumbsup

Argh... currently "stuck" at that point. Need to get back to it when next I feel like dying repeatedly.  icon_confused

I managed that bit last night. Go up the leftt and at the top is a wagon. On the right hand side of the wagon is a crate, shoot through it and you can hit him. As he fires back he destroys more of the crate allowing you to kill him.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2013, 05:36:34 PM »

I finally tried the PC demo of this on Steam (just the first Storyline chapter), and really had a blast with it. My FPS motion sickness issue (outside of maybe Borderlands 2 for whatever reason) is well-documented. I only felt a hair of it near the end of the demo (it wasn't "need to go lie down" debilitating, which for me is a victory icon_razz), so I'm sort of not certain if it'd be an issue on me for this. At least, its only $15, so I may take the plunge and take my chances.  icon_smile

I kind of wish it had some sort of formal cover-fire system (rather than crouch and "peek a boo" fire).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 05:38:05 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2013, 07:34:15 PM »

I finished this the other night.  Loved it and may do the New Game +. 

I'm doing some of the arcade levels, too, which are pretty entertaining, though it seems impossible to get more than a single star when you start.  You unlock skills as you go.  You have to choose a character at the start of a level, and you progress as you go, unlocking skills along the way.  Unless you really want to play the hell out of this, it seems you'll want to pick a single character to focus on through all of the arcade levels.  Each level seems to be under 5 minutes, and take place in single player locations.  It's all about combos and speed.

I agree with the cover thing.  That's a little too loose.  I've also had some weird moments getting caught in scenery and whatnot.  It's not as high polished as it could be, but it's a hell of a lot of fun to play.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 02:36:28 PM »

I went ahead and bought it (PC, Steam). Given my motion sickness tendencies, just playing about a chapter per night seems to work well for me.  icon_smile

Although I kicked arse in the first quick draw in the demo, for some reason in the first one in the full game I just found my mouse feeling like it was working in a "delayed" fashion, not very responsive. Not sure if that's by design or if I need to adjust the mouse setting or something.

So I got offed initially (my "focus" % was lousy and off-target), and then sort of won the next time though the Sheriff got the first shot off.

While I wouldn't say it has much in common with Lucasarts' Outlaws other than the setting, I couldn't help but have nostalgic memories of Outlaws while playing.

I read somewhere they added an FOV setting in some sort of .ini file, so I should look into that, though I seem to be able to enjoy Juarez for a decent period of time without any ill effects.

Changing that for Borderlands 2 (which put it under Options) for example made a big difference. Though I don't recall my attempts to change Borderlands 1's FOV via .ini file helped my motion sickness much.

I should look into that for Dead Island too. That game made me sick after about 90 seconds in very debilitating fashion.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 02:38:14 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 02:57:03 PM »

It's funny you say that about Outlaws, because I went hunting down some Outlaws footage while playing the first couple of levels myself.  I think there may be something about the barn level in CoJ that evokes Outlaws.

The Showdowns were probably my least favorite aspect of the game.  It was extremely difficult to keep everything lined up.  On the console, you use one stick to keep a hand over the holster and the other to keep the opponent in view, and everything felt like it was delayed.  Like the cursor was floating through molasses.  I don't think I got through more than one or two of these on my first go, and often it took many, many tries.

Of course, I just replaced my controller because it had a drifting left stick, so that may have been an issue with the holster, but it doesn't explain everything.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 06:36:03 PM »

My joke is, I think the Showdowns want the player to feel like he's drunk.  The drink that never ends. I never get to use that smiley...

My recollection is that from the then fledgling FPS technology standpoint, Outlaws suffered a bit from maybe releasing a year or so too late, in 1997. Outlaws' squared off, flat-level environments felt crude after playing the more elaborate environments of Duke Nukem 3D and the true 3-D of Quake in 1996.

Outlaws did get kudos at the time for its storyline and cutscenes, and maybe just that western weaponry was an interesting different from all the sci-fi and military-type shooters of its day. Lots of us always hoped it would get a sequel on updated technology later, but it never did. The reviews were OK, I remember it even getting some Game of the Year consideration in some publications, but it never quite flew off the shelves the way Lucasart's adventure and Star Wars titles did.

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2013, 04:29:24 AM »

figured I needed something to cleanse the palate after 120 hours of Skyrim, and figured this would fit the bill.  played up to the sawmill so far and having a blast.  The uphill charge in the level before that was cool, only died once when I totally missed the dynamite indicator towards the top of the hill.

Showdowns on the PC don't feel bad-  you control the reticle with the mouse and your hand position with the A and D keys.  Only had a few so far, hoping the later ones don't feature enemies who are doing the Harlem Shake across the playing field....

Kinda making me want to fire up Red Dead Redemption again, but I'm trying to avoid monstrous time sinks until the 20th.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 02:24:38 AM »

and done, went with the Redemption ending that seemed very fitting.  Awesome little game, about the perfect length for what they're charging, even better for what they were selling it at during the Summer Sale.

got honorable kills on all the duels except the Dalton Brothers.  after 3 tries I said screw it and drew first.  Had some oddities with the last gun fight in the cemetery, for some reason the reticle wouldn't start focusing unless it was not on the target.  Not sure if it was supposed to be like that due to the nature of the duel, but I managed to pull it off anyways.

looked over the other modes, and probably won't bother.  I'm content with the 5 hours I spent on it.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: