http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 12:18:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 3  (Read 24291 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 15, 2011, 12:57:18 AM »

WHARRGARBL!

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 15, 2011, 01:42:04 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 15, 2011, 12:46:47 AM

The last kill was especially awesome.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 15, 2011, 03:45:55 AM »

You know, it just struck me why I generally prefer the Battlefield games over CoD.  I'm a terrible shot, especially with a controller.  I always have been, I suspect I always will be.  30 hours of playing can maybe get me to "competent", but barely.  It generally doesn't matter if I see an enemy first, since I have a really hard time getting enough shots into him before he returns fire and kills me.

The problem with CoD is that everything, including the support abilities, are tied directly to your ability to get kills.  Getting kills is absolutely everything in the game.

Contrast that with the BF series, where I can play a medic and run around tossing out heals and reviving, or an engineer repairing vehicles, or the ammo guy, or heck, even a recon who hangs out on a ridge spotting targets for everyone else.  None of that requires me to be a good shot.  I can contribute and have a good time.  In CoD, I feel like since I get few kills, and get killed a lot, I'm generally a liability to my team.

I guess I wish that there was some option that didn't require me to get kills.  The support class is an excellent step, but even then, I never get to play with the cool toys, since I don't get enough kills.  I know, I'm basically wishing CoD was a different game, but it just struck me exactly why I frequently finish a session of playing CoD so frustrated with myself.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 15, 2011, 03:50:09 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 15, 2011, 03:45:55 AM

The problem with CoD is that everything, including the support abilities, are tied directly to your ability to get kills.  Getting kills is absolutely everything in the game.

If you play in objective modes, you get your killstreaks from doing the objectives.  You also get points for taking out enemy equipment.  On domination, for instance, you could capture the first point (a gimme), shoot down a UAV, then join your teammates as they finish capping the second point and you'll have a 3 streak.

But yeah, there aren't really support roles in this game compared to Battlefield.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 15, 2011, 03:51:15 AM »

You also have the option of equipping Hardline.  With Hardline Pro your assists even count toward strike packages. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 15, 2011, 03:55:28 AM »

Huh, I didn't know that about the objective modes.  I generally play mercenary, so they're not even an option now.  Plus, everyone seems to play them as deathmatch anyway, so I usually don't even bother.

I run hardline on all my builds.  Even with that, I rarely get to my third package.  And that's with running a 3/4/5 package grouping.  I haven't gotten hardline pro yet, but given how few assists I get, I don't think it'll help much.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 15, 2011, 04:01:37 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 15, 2011, 03:55:28 AM

I run hardline on all my builds.  Even with that, I rarely get to my third package.  And that's with running a 3/4/5 package grouping.  I haven't gotten hardline pro yet, but given how few assists I get, I don't think it'll help much.

Play with Kato.  He steals all of my kills.   disgust

In all honesty, try playing with friends from GT.  Instead of playing in Mercenary, playing with GTers will give you a chance to observe how others play, to gain help from teammates, to get some further insight into improving at the game, and perhaps allow you to improve while not feeling like you're bringing the team down.  I'm no kill machine, but if I earn enough to get my remote helicopter in the air then my teammates clean house as they get to see everyone on their mini-maps, including those with assassin and blind eye equipped as these players may be hidden from the typical UAV, but not from my eye in the sky.   icon_twisted

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 15, 2011, 04:02:27 AM »

Chaz do the support package and your kills don't reset when you die.  It's the only way I get kill streaks and I get tons now.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 15, 2011, 04:17:04 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 15, 2011, 04:02:27 AM

Chaz do the support package and your kills don't reset when you die.  It's the only way I get kill streaks and I get tons now.

I run support on every class.  It's the only way I ever get any packages out.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 15, 2011, 05:00:26 AM »

If you are shooting things out of the air and destroying sam turrets and the like you should be getting more than enough pointstreak credit to call in your stuff.  Even in TDM you can do these things to get credit without ever getting a kill.

Also if you run Recon and just throw flashbangs and grenades/explosives everywhere you'll mark a ton of people which will give you assists quickly.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: November 15, 2011, 06:15:16 AM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 14, 2011, 02:06:30 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on November 14, 2011, 03:30:39 AM

Still working on getting a Clan setup.  However here is a group Sorry about the name

Second member!  First time I've even been able to log on to Elite in days.

I was trying out the survival mode last night, which is fun enough, but I get stuck at wave 6 when the choppers show up and I don't have any anti-air.  How do you get past that?

Edit:  Actually, other than the page Hark linked to, I still can't connect to Elite.  I can't imagine that they have the balls to actually charge money for this.

Ike: You can shoot those helicopters down with any weapon. Just takes a fair amount of ammo depending on the gun. Find yourself a place with overhead cover, wait until the choppers are reloading, then pop out and fire off a magazine. Rinse and repeat.

You can also shoot them down with predator missiles, which you get from the Airstrike station, which will be marked by the outline of an airplane on your hud.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: November 15, 2011, 08:48:09 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYXqXm_LLHg

mw3 vs bf3 sounds
BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: November 15, 2011, 01:40:08 PM »

Is there any tips you guys can give me on getting better?  This is really the 1st time I've gotten into the multiplayer portion of any of the COD games, but boy do I suck!  I think I'm averaging around 3-5 kills per match with a high once of I think 10.  I really like playing with the group here but I'm getting tired of dying all the time and seeing you guys get 20+ kills per match.  It seems like I'm getting 1 shot alot, whereas I have to pump 3-4 rounds into someone before they go down.  I'm currently level 21 and using the scar, with the red dot sight and heartbeat sensor as my attachments.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 15, 2011, 01:51:02 PM »

Quote from: BuckeyeShane on November 15, 2011, 01:40:08 PM

Is there any tips you guys can give me on getting better?  This is really the 1st time I've gotten into the multiplayer portion of any of the COD games, but boy do I suck!  I think I'm averaging around 3-5 kills per match with a high once of I think 10.  I really like playing with the group here but I'm getting tired of dying all the time and seeing you guys get 20+ kills per match.  It seems like I'm getting 1 shot alot, whereas I have to pump 3-4 rounds into someone before they go down.  I'm currently level 21 and using the scar, with the red dot sight and heartbeat sensor as my attachments.

The best thing you can do is simply keep playing.  Keep in mind that many of the people you're playing with have been playing games in the COD series since its inception on the Xbox.  And if you check play time statistics, many of the top scorers play almost an order of magnitude more than most casual gamers.  In the beginning I had your same frustrations, your same struggles, and even now I have the occasional game when I am rendered completely ineffective.  My best games may see me break 20 kills on a rare occasion, but most of my games have me in the 10 to 15 kill range.  I'm usually content to finish with more kills than deaths, but I still have games when the ratio isn't even close to being 1:1. 

As you're new to COD MP, just keep playing.  And playing.  And playing.  That's really all you can do as there is no real "secret" other than becoming comfortable with the various maps, learning where to potentially expect enemies to be, and getting accustomed to firing as you pull up your sights rather than waiting until you're aiming down them.  Outside of that, part of the challenge is learning to cope with continuous struggles as the game has a steep learning curve and it is rather difficult to excel.  If you're having fun, then that should be your highest priority.  If not, unfortunately there isn't any easy way to quickly get better.  It happens with time and experience.  Trust me, it's tough when you play with the GT elite as they stack up kills like I do empty beer cans.  But you'll find that when you get into random matches with strangers you may see that you fare better than in the past because you've improved by playing with skilled GTers.

BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 15, 2011, 02:44:39 PM »

Thanks for the tips pete!  I am having a blast playing, and you are right there are maps that I am better at than others.  There was a map we played last night that I have never played and if not for a last minute killing spree I would have had 0 kils smile  Any recommendations on attachments and/or weapons?
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 15, 2011, 03:07:31 PM »

Quote from: BuckeyeShane on November 15, 2011, 02:44:39 PM

Thanks for the tips pete!  I am having a blast playing, and you are right there are maps that I am better at than others.  There was a map we played last night that I have never played and if not for a last minute killing spree I would have had 0 kils smile  Any recommendations on attachments and/or weapons?

Weapons depend mostly on your play style.  For me SMGs, LMGs, sniper rifles, and shotguns are completely useless.  I'm purely an assault rifle kind of player as they give me stopping power up close and decent mid-range coverage as well.  Whether it's a close-quarters map, more spread out, or something in between, I always have an assault rifle equipped with an anti-air launcher of some sort (although aircraft are much tougher to spot than in prior COD titles). 

Right now I've been using the SCAR with suppressor and red dot sight.  In Black Ops I really liked the holographic sight but for some reason in MW3 it seems to restrict too much of my view and feels cumbersome, so I've stuck with the red dot.  I've heard good things about the ACR, but I haven't reached a high enough level to unlock it yet, and I'm anxiously awaiting the Strella launcher as it is far more effective than lower-level launchers.

Outside of that I stick with support strike packages as I rarely get much of a streak going and personally love the remote helicopter as it allows me to tag enemies for my teammates and it gets me crazy points once my teammates find and kill the enemies I've tagged. 

I personally find assault rifles to be decent all-around weapons whereas other categories have more specialized purposes.  And so assault rifles help me to be most effective in my play style.  Oh, I also use the stalker perk to help me move faster when aiming down sights, so in some cases I bring my sights up while approaching a corner or "hot" area so I'm already prepared to fire should an enemy come into view. 

Unfortunately I've been down with the flu since the weekend and haven't played MW3 since sometime last week, making me feel like I'm continuing to fall further behind and may have to shake some rust off once I get back on the battlefield. 

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: November 15, 2011, 03:14:57 PM »

I have had a lot of success with the silenced scar. The silencer keeps you off their radar whenever you shoot, which is a surprisingly effective way to remain hidden. And even though I am usually terrible with iron sites, I find that I really like the scars iron sites, which allows me to take kick or focus instead of two attachments. If you don't like them, I would go silencer and red dot. I find the heartbeat sensor to be largely useless when compared to other attachments.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 15, 2011, 03:33:23 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on November 15, 2011, 03:14:57 PM

I have had a lot of success with the silenced scar. The silencer keeps you off their radar whenever you shoot, which is a surprisingly effective way to remain hidden. And even though I am usually terrible with iron sites, I find that I really like the scars iron sites, which allows me to take kick or focus instead of two attachments. If you don't like them, I would go silencer and red dot. I find the heartbeat sensor to be largely useless when compared to other attachments.

When I began with my M4 I found kick reduction to be a huge help.  But, when I unlocked the SCAR and started using it with frequency I noticed that it seemed to have a lot less kick even without the kick reduction attribute so I tried equipping two attachments instead and found I could be pretty accurate without sacrificing my red dot security blanket.  I've also heard that the ACR has limited kick as well, but it'll be a while until I level up enough to give it a test drive. 

It really depends on the player, and what's cool is you can give so many different attachments and attributes a try once they're unlocked and you can really customize your weapons to be more fitting of your own individual style. 

The fabulousness in me also adores the various colorful camo options we have to choose from.  Fabulous

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 15, 2011, 03:36:13 PM »

I agree with everything Pete said.  The only way to improve is to keep playing.  I am still pretty bad at the game myself. When I started playing MW3 on release day I was teeerrrrrible.   I was consistently at the bottom of my team's scoreboard for a few days.  My typical game was something like 4-10 or 6-15.  Recently I have at least gotten to the point where my typical game is 9-9 or 12-10 with a few 15-6s here or there.  My basic premise is that I am not going to win many one on one face offs.  So I try to always get the drop on people if I can.  I try to find a good spot with long sight lines and pick people off as they move around and use perks that keep me hidden from UAVs and killstreak aircraft.  Unfortunately this worked much better for me in MW2.  In MW3 there seem to be no 100% secure spots to sit in.  But if somebody comes up behind me for the kill I just live with it.  I figure if I can get 2 or 3 kills before somebody knifes me in the back it is a good tradeoff.  I generally don't move around much unless our team has a UAV up. The only time I will aggressively run around is when I or one of my teammates gets an advanced UAV up and I can seen not only where the opposition is, but which way they are facing.  I have found that the Type 95 AR works better than the SCAR for the way I play.  At this point if I get in a game on hardhat, village or other tiny map I am happy if I can break even k/d wise, but it's usually pretty ugly.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 15, 2011, 03:47:35 PM »

I just finished the SP campaign.  Overall, I thought it was way less all over the place than MW2, but not as stunning as MW1.  It seemed smaller, somehow.

I have to say, though, Makarov's voice really bugged me.  It just sounds more like a guy who is unsatisfied working at a local Starbucks than a villainous mastermind.  Everytime the load clip starts, I scramble for the controller so I don't have to hear him.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 15, 2011, 03:54:29 PM »

The scar definitely has low recoil even without kick, so two attachments is a solid option. Although I personally found focus to be more beneficial. Being able to continuously put bullets on target even while getting shot has made a noticeable difference in the number of encounters I win.

I didn't get to play at all this weekend, but I'm looking forward to getting some quality time with my shiny new type 95 AR tonight after work.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 15, 2011, 03:57:59 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on November 15, 2011, 03:54:29 PM

The scar definitely has low recoil even without kick, so two attachments is a solid option. Although I personally found focus to be more beneficial. Being able to continuously put bullets on target even while getting shot has made a noticeable difference in the number of encounters I win.

I may have to give focus a try as I'm curious to see if it would help my own wild west showdowns as well.  I have the problem of eventually finding something I like and then sticking with it, not really trying much else beyond that.  I keep suggesting that others give a number of things a try before settling on a weapon loadout and here I am doing just that.   retard

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 15, 2011, 04:19:47 PM »

Im toying with the idea of spending some time with each of the weapons. Maybe I'll do that tonight before settling in with the assault rifles.

Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 15, 2011, 08:13:12 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on November 15, 2011, 03:14:57 PM

I have had a lot of success with the silenced scar. The silencer keeps you off their radar whenever you shoot, which is a surprisingly effective way to remain hidden.

I'll second this opinion.  If I can find a weapon that has iron sights I can live with, I almost always put a silencer on it.  It's amazing how much more effective a silencer can make you.  Whenever I run across two enemies with a normal weapon, 98 times out of 100 one of them will kill me, even if I get the drop on them, see them from behind, and get the other first.  With a silencer, I'd say half the time I'm able to get them both as long as I don't run into them head-to-head.  I think most players unconsciously keep their attention on the mini-map, and any red dot nearby from you shooting draws their attention and brings the pain.  Keeping your location off their mini-map is really, really effective. 

I don't have the reaction times to match a twitchy teenager or college kid, and my internet connection means lag always keeps me a half-step behind.  The silencer does me a world of good in most games.  I've learned to live with the range reduction tradeoff.

XBox Live:  JNacht
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 15, 2011, 10:16:31 PM »

Doing a whole prestige with the Riot Shield, this is pretty damned hard/frustrating  crybaby
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: November 16, 2011, 01:37:01 AM »

Clan is finally up and running.  Invites have been sent.

https://elite.callofduty.com/connect/clan/view/173450

Clan name is Gaming Trend
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 16, 2011, 01:43:03 AM »

I don't even know why I try to access Elite on my laptop.   disgust

Quote from: Harkonis on November 16, 2011, 01:37:01 AM

I am pretty psyched that you went through the trouble of setting one up.  Assuming I get an invite (haven't been online since coming down with the flu), I'm looking forward to even more carrots to pursue.   drool

Although I don't have a paid membership, so does that negate my ability to participate?  It shows up for my online profile but I can't do anything with it, mainly because Elite keeps crapping out. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 01:57:58 AM by PeteRock » Logged

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 16, 2011, 03:14:07 AM »

I dont' think you contribute xp if you don't pay, but you can join.

Here's the kind of thing that pisses me off btw.  Sometimes things just don't work as you think they should

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqyFegzp5Rk

This shit would never happen in the previous game that had riot shields.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 16, 2011, 03:32:06 AM »

I tried to sign up, but got a 503 error somewhere along the line.

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 16, 2011, 03:33:05 AM »

What an incredibly frustrating evening of play. Several matches, several different party leaders, and several different rooms... all with the same shitty lag.

EDIT: Wow, am I an idiot. I just looked down at my task bar and saw that I was downloading the DC Universe Online client, a 14 gb download. No wonder lag was shitty for me all night.  retard

At least, I hope that was it. It was easily the worst night of lag I have had.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 03:38:35 AM by msteelers » Logged

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 16, 2011, 04:07:17 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 16, 2011, 03:14:07 AM

Here's the kind of thing that pisses me off btw.  Sometimes things just don't work as you think they should

In other riot shield news, here's two rival riot shield juggernauts having at it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nr4t-F26pI
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 16, 2011, 04:18:23 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 16, 2011, 04:07:17 AM

Quote from: Harkonis on November 16, 2011, 03:14:07 AM

In other riot shield news, here's two rival riot shield juggernauts having at it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nr4t-F26pI

only one of those is a juggernaut, and it's the one that loses  retard
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 16, 2011, 04:19:27 AM »

Owain getting a quad kill with C4 death streak.  Can't believe how far away that fourth guy is when he dies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuqEyagLv5s
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 16, 2011, 07:02:25 AM »

Quote from: msteelers on November 16, 2011, 03:32:06 AM

I tried to sign up, but got a 503 error somewhere along the line.

Guess I didn't get an invite....

Pretty sure its because Elite is still FUBAR, or Hark hates me

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 16, 2011, 07:22:56 AM »

Finally getting somewhat competent with the Riot Shield, but it's much more lag dependent than guns.  finished the night with a couple rounds of 19-14 and such.

Also had fun with Gun Game once I moved the order of the guns around a bit.  My list is available on my Vault for you guys to use.  Would be fun to try with a decent sized group.  It starts off very fast and furious with lots of explosives, then lmgs, then AR's, then moves to closer ranged stuff and gets harder as it goes.  This means that there is less of the 'win more' problem of the default progression where the best players get off to such a start and leave the less skilled at pistols.  The last few levels are pretty tense for the leaders since they are using pistols versus lmg's, shotguns and AR's at that point. 

Videmon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 16, 2011, 01:36:59 PM »

Everyone here playing on Xbox or are there any PS3 users giving this a go?
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 16, 2011, 01:58:33 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 15, 2011, 01:51:02 PM

The best thing you can do is simply keep playing.

I agree with this to an extent, but I've been playing CoD games for years.  I've played every one since the original MW except WaW, and I've got about 35 hours of MP on this one and I'm still the worst player I know (Hark was kind enough to point out several women he considered worse at the game than I).  I feel like there is something very fundamental that I'm missing.  I suspect that it has to do with my movement around the map and my use of cover.  I wish there was a way to spectate because I suspect that if I had someone who was good at the game watching over my shoulder, saying "no no, don't go there" and "pay attention to that" I could improve.  It's very frustrating.

Edit:  Turns out I've only played about 26 hours.  My K:D is sub 0.5 and my longest kill streak is 5.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:39:56 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 16, 2011, 02:20:47 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 16, 2011, 01:58:33 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 15, 2011, 01:51:02 PM

The best thing you can do is simply keep playing.

I agree with this to an extent, but I've been playing CoD games for years.  I've played every one since the original MW except WaW, and I've got about 35 hours of MP on this one and I'm still the worst player I know (Hark was kind enough to point out several women he considered worse at the game than I).  I feel like there is something very fundamental that I'm missing.  I suspect that it has to do with my movement around the map and my use of cover.  I wish there was a way to spectate because I suspect that if I had someone who was good at the game watching over my shoulder, saying "no no, don't go there" and "pay attention to that" I could improve.  It's very frustrating.

Well there are the match videos (in blops at least, probably in mw3 as well) and you can go back and watch how a player who continually dominates the rooms you're in moves around the map for tips.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 16, 2011, 02:39:22 PM »

You can also learn a lot by watching your kill cams.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 16, 2011, 02:40:56 PM »

I've also been watching youtube a lot but I haven't found anyone who talks about really basic fundamental stuff.  Any suggestions?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: