http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 06:58:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of Duty:Black Ops [Impressions start @ page 12]  (Read 60664 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 28, 2010, 09:42:50 PM »

not sure why people keep thinking the noob tube is gone.  You can't shoot for the first few seconds though to eliminate nuking spawns in S&D
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 28, 2010, 11:12:44 PM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on October 28, 2010, 07:06:47 PM

Quote from: kratz on October 28, 2010, 05:39:52 PM

Sounding good... I never really played with any of you guys in MW2, but maybe I should start w/ this.

Commando is being removed (according to that movie...)?  That's sweet...

Commando, one man army, noob tube all removed along with stacking killstreaks... I'm hoping Black Ops learned a lot of lessons from MW2 and this is going to be a really balanced gaming experience.

I love all these changes.  And I enjoyed the HELL out of MW2... it remains the 360 game I've played the largest number of days.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 28, 2010, 11:13:38 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 28, 2010, 09:42:50 PM

not sure why people keep thinking the noob tube is gone.  You can't shoot for the first few seconds though to eliminate nuking spawns in S&D

That at least helps... I would also like to see it become horribly ineffective if people try to use it while they are sprinting and shooting at people who are less than 20 feet away...
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 29, 2010, 12:43:27 AM »

I kinda wish they would add a bit more 'realism' to all the grenades and grenade launchers.  Slower to use, but more deadly.  Would cut back on the spam I think.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 29, 2010, 01:51:32 AM »

I'm a sucker and pre-ordered the Hardened Edition tonight. Had a $20 off coupon from Reach so I splurged. Looking forward to it.  icon_biggrin

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 29, 2010, 05:57:08 AM »

Son of a...someone just posted a screenshot on GAF that shows Marathon Pro as unlimited sprint. WTF Treyarch?!

Here's the full list that came off a youtube video that is no longer up:

Perk 1:
Lightweight: Move faster. +No Fall Damage.
Scavenger: Pick up ammo from fallen enemies. Replenish lethal grenades. +Start with extra mags. Replenish tactical grenades.
Ghost: Undetectable by the Spy Plane and the Blackbird. +Undetectable by aircraft, dogs. IR, and sentries. No red crosshair or name when targeted.
Flak Jacket: Reduces explosive damage. +Immune to fire damage and allows you to safely toss back frag grendades.
Hardline: Killstreaks require 1 less kill. +Change the contents of a Care Package.

Perk 2:
Hardened: Bullets penetrate better. +Bullets do extra damage to aircraft and turrets. Reduced flinch when you are shot.
Scout: Hold breath longer. +Faster weapon switching.
Steady Aim: Increased hip-fire accuracy. +Quicker aiming after sprinting and quicker recovery from knife lunge.
Sleight of Hand: Faster reloads. +Faster aiming down sights with non-scoped weapons.
Warlord: Equip two attachments to your primary weapon. +Start with 1 extra lethal and tactical grenade (except smoke).

Perk 3:
Marathon: Longer sprint. +Unlimited sprint.
Ninja: Silent movement. +Louder enemies. Completely silent.
Second Chance: Pull out your pistol before dying. +Survive longer and any teammate can revive you.
Hacker: Ability to detect enemy equipment and explosives. +Can sabotage enemy equipment, turrets, and creates. Invisible to Motion Sensors.
Tactical Mask: Protects against gas grenades. +Reduces the effects of flash and concussion grenades. Reveals the position of a flashed or stunned enemy.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 05:59:29 AM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 29, 2010, 06:46:11 AM »

Well from that list I will live with Ghost as my perk 1 pretty much continuously.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 29, 2010, 07:56:16 AM »

ghost/hardened/ninja for me probably 99% of the time

edit:  I am concerned however that ninja pro will ruin the ninja perk for me.  It seems to be identical to Sitrep Pro from MW2 and that caused a lot of problems for me.  It raises volume of enemies to the point where you hear what sounds like someone on the other side of a corner and they were actually 2 buildings over.  It causes great difficulties in using sound to locate enemies when switching from kits with it to kits without it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 07:59:00 AM by Harkonis » Logged
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 29, 2010, 10:21:29 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 29, 2010, 07:56:16 AM

ghost/hardened/ninja for me probably 99% of the time

Looks like the same for me. I'm assuming there won't be a heartbeat sensor in this version, which is a shame since I've grown accustomed to it in MW2. I especially like when people bitch about me using it. RPD+grip+heart beat sensor = old people's preferred load out. Now if I can just get Hardcore mode...

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 29, 2010, 12:10:51 PM »

Just from reading that list, it seems that ghost and marathon are overpowered.

With the + benefits, I don't know why anyone would have any other perk equipped in that slot.  Invisible and superspeed.   Gonna be interesting.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 29, 2010, 12:51:49 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 28, 2010, 07:32:23 PM

Personally, I think the loadouts should be modelled on real world applications.  The idea that a solder with an M203 mounted under his M16 is only going to be carrying one round is patently absurd.  I don't know what the standard loadout consists of, but I'm sure it's higher than that.  It's not a Panzerfaust.

Make reload times based on rank.  The higher level you are, the faster you can reload. 

Not sure how this would eliminate the noob tube problem...
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 29, 2010, 12:53:48 PM »

I wish they would put Marathon and Lightweight (or get rid of it altogether and make speed based off of equipment weight) on the same tier if they are going to make it have an unlimited sprint.  If there was no way to combine the two then it being unlimited wouldn't really bother me.

Oh well we shall see if it is a problem but I expect with no commando it will not be as annoying as it was in MW2.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 29, 2010, 01:48:41 PM »

Why is unlimited sprint a bad thing for treyarch to put in? If a player is sprinting he isn't shooting.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 29, 2010, 01:53:23 PM »

Quote from: Owain on October 29, 2010, 12:53:48 PM

Oh well we shall see if it is a problem but I expect with no commando it will not be as annoying as it was in MW2.

This. +1

You actually have to sprint and then stop at the person to stab them. As you won't be able to stab up flights of stairs, around corners or through walls I don't see the unlimited sprint being a big deal.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 29, 2010, 02:32:22 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 29, 2010, 12:51:49 PM

Personally, I think the loadouts should be modelled on real world applications.  The idea that a solder with an M203 mounted under his M16 is only going to be carrying one round is patently absurd.  I don't know what the standard loadout consists of, but I'm sure it's higher than that.  It's not a Panzerfaust.

Make reload times based on rank.  The higher level you are, the faster you can reload. 

keep the poster in mind when analyzing the post slywink  Hadron is a very big supporter of noob tube only battles  ninja
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 29, 2010, 03:01:11 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 29, 2010, 02:32:22 PM

Quote from: ATB on October 29, 2010, 12:51:49 PM

Personally, I think the loadouts should be modelled on real world applications.  The idea that a solder with an M203 mounted under his M16 is only going to be carrying one round is patently absurd.  I don't know what the standard loadout consists of, but I'm sure it's higher than that.  It's not a Panzerfaust.

Make reload times based on rank.  The higher level you are, the faster you can reload.  

keep the poster in mind when analyzing the post slywink  Hadron is a very big supporter of noob tube only battles  ninja

I've told grim this before, but he is amongst the most annoying players to play against.  If there's an annoying way to play the game he does it.   mad  He may not be at the top of the kills lists but the ones he gets likely enraged the people he killed. slywink
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 29, 2010, 03:16:12 PM »

That's a strong indictment considering that I never stooped to Marathon/Lightweight/Commando or quick-scoping sniper kills at close range.

And yes, I don't consider the noob tube to be a cheap weapon.  If you're close in range, you're a sitting duck.  Your only hope is to dead-eye with a kinetic kill (which makes me smile when I can do it). 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 29, 2010, 03:31:35 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 29, 2010, 03:16:12 PM

That's a strong indictment considering that I never stooped to Marathon/Lightweight/Commando or quick-scoping sniper kills at close range.

And yes, I don't consider the noob tube to be a cheap weapon.  If you're close in range, you're a sitting duck.  Your only hope is to dead-eye with a kinetic kill (which makes me smile when I can do it). 
I generally do not use them but It was the 1st unlock for rifles in mw2 . . . The only thing that made it cheap was the combo with OMA, otherwise it is a legitimate tactic.  Now you can run with flak jacket as perk 1 if you are anti-tube.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 29, 2010, 03:32:25 PM »

I gotta say that I never had an issue with Hadron in MW2 - colour me naive I guess.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 29, 2010, 03:46:47 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on October 29, 2010, 01:48:41 PM

Why is unlimited sprint a bad thing for treyarch to put in? If a player is sprinting he isn't shooting.

It encourages the knife class. I thought that we would be done with that crap.

Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 29, 2010, 03:51:50 PM »

The more I reflect on the maps in W@W/MW2/Black Ops (not that I had a chance to play a beta  ninja) the map/perk combos are utterly horrible in MW2 compared to Treyarch maps.

MW2 maps seem to follow the same formula, 2 levels and 3 paths (few exceptions).  If you think of every map as directional from spawn points, there are almost always 3 direct routes to each, and 2 levels for players to occupy (3-2).  Not only that, there are several maps that allow direct grenade fire from spawn to spawn.  Danger Close/One Man Army add to the "camping" as you never have to move, and only have to worry about 3 paths to watch.  Marathon/Lightweight/Commando also adds to the problem of 3-2 because there is not much room to work with.  IMO, there were very few well designed maps in MW2, and the perk combos exploited more of the maps than the mechanics (except Commando).  Spawns were also easy to figure out, and I've been on the giving and taking end of a spawn camp.

W@W, the maps had multiple tiers, multiple paths of attack (or even very minimal paths).  There were elevation changes, numerous perches, more structures/cover.  The only knock I have is the spawning was pretty terrible.  I'm willing to bet that the people who prefer MW2 maps over W@W maps are the minority.  Treyarch made great maps...and the 3 maps in the videos are no exception (and 1 map that wasn't in the videos) and they've added some features to the maps that have some interaction.  I'll leave it at that for now.

Just a little hiccup.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 29, 2010, 04:10:30 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 29, 2010, 03:46:47 PM

Quote from: msteelers on October 29, 2010, 01:48:41 PM

It encourages the knife class. I thought that we would be done with that crap.

Ah... well... there is no commando perk. So there's that.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 29, 2010, 05:43:40 PM »

sadly Treyarch is apparently not doing the DLC maps for BO as it's being farmed out (maybe to Raven)
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 29, 2010, 06:17:20 PM »

Imo,  Treyarch>IW in everything except SP experience.

Obviously IW does a great job creating great mp experiences, but they don't refine and improve like Treyarch does.  IW also seems preposterously arrogant too.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 29, 2010, 07:17:27 PM »

I also believe that Treyarch has a better handle on the multiplayer experience. It seems that IW is a victim of it's on success, I mean why improve and innovate when the franchise is such a blockbuster.

Maybe in the future we can have different Devs (other than Treyarch) tackle the CoD franchise. 

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 29, 2010, 10:34:26 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 29, 2010, 12:10:51 PM

Just from reading that list, it seems that ghost and marathon are overpowered.

With the + benefits, I don't know why anyone would have any other perk equipped in that slot.  Invisible and superspeed.   Gonna be interesting.

I don't think marathon will be overpowered if you aren't using ninja I can hear people around me without it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:36:49 PM by pingwrx » Logged

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 30, 2010, 12:01:54 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on October 29, 2010, 07:17:27 PM

I also believe that Treyarch has a better handle on the multiplayer experience. It seems that IW is a victim of it's on success, I mean why improve and innovate when the franchise is such a blockbuster.

in all fairness they did bring the series out of WW2 rather successfully.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 31, 2010, 10:05:58 AM »

here's a vid of a guy doing very well while scoping quickly (note that this is scoping quickly, not quickscoping slywink it's not the same thing.  he's using acog AND he is actually scoped in a split second before firing. nothing wrong with this imo, he's just a quick shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbFVcPxzVOY&hd=1#t=0m17s

however, here's a guy quickscoping.  This is what becomes a problem.  He basically isn't truly trying to use the scope, just trying to fire instantly from the hip by hitting both triggers a split second apart. thankfully he misses a few of the shots, but frankly he hits more than enough to make me unhappy with it.  I just feel sniper rifles should be used for more traditional sniping not running around using it like a long range shotgun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdgSFOWbJqI&hd=1

here's a guy flying the gunship around freeform.  few things about this video disturb me  though.  he bunny hops successfully a fair amount, he's dropshotting a lot as well.  He also at one point is dual wielding rapid fire shotguns and that just seems wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhxtFqhNRVI&hd=1

and here's all the menus for multiplayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKQj6ZUoDLw&hd=1

« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 10:08:45 AM by Harkonis » Logged
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 31, 2010, 04:25:24 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 31, 2010, 10:05:58 AM

here's a guy flying the gunship around freeform. 

Pretty sure I'll never hit anything if i have to fly my own chopper.

however, here's a guy quickscoping.

Boo.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 31, 2010, 06:42:41 PM »

So, basically it sounds like all they did was remove commando and painkiller and otherwise it's MW2 without killstreak chains. That's sad, they really have been talking like the game was going to be different.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 31, 2010, 09:54:26 PM »

this might be the worst player I've ever watched play

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/video.php?id=4104
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 31, 2010, 10:04:31 PM »

Hey guys, it looks like Amazon IS giving away a $20 future credit on Black Ops after all.  I just saw that if you pre-order you get "200 pre-order bonus points"...what are those you ask?  So did I and here's what the "see details" says:

What are Pre-order Bonus Points?

Pre-order Bonus Points are redeemable for any item in the Amazon.com Video Games store.  200 Pre-order Bonus Points are worth a $20 promotional credit toward the purchase of any item from the Amazon Video Games store shipped and sold by Amazon.com.  Your points will be automatically converted to promotional credit, and will be automatically added to your account with a qualifying purchase.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 31, 2010, 10:07:27 PM »

Seems like they misunderstood how most places use a points system to make it seem less like real money.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 31, 2010, 11:35:35 PM »

I do believe that points don't apply to the pre-order guarantee, though. So if you already pre-ordered, you have to cancel and do it again (although they might have rules against that as well - not sure).

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 31, 2010, 11:39:35 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 31, 2010, 11:35:35 PM

I do believe that points don't apply to the pre-order guarantee, though. So if you already pre-ordered, you have to cancel and do it again (although they might have rules against that as well - not sure).

It looks like all pre-orders, even ones placed, get this:
Offer good for all pre-order customers who have not already received promotional credit on this item.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 01, 2010, 12:13:40 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 31, 2010, 11:39:35 PM

Quote from: Teggy on October 31, 2010, 11:35:35 PM

It looks like all pre-orders, even ones placed, get this:
Offer good for all pre-order customers who have not already received promotional credit on this item.

Well that's interesting. I was considering switching to a midnight release since the job I thought I was getting fell through, but now maybe I will just deal with having to wait until the mail comes and putting this toward Dead Space 2.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 01, 2010, 12:25:42 AM »

This post on neogaf about sums it up:

The more information that is revealed about Black Ops, the worse it seems to become. The Pro variants for the perks are all screwed up. For example, why on earth does Marathon Pro give unlimited sprint? What what wrong with vaulting over objects quicker? And Ninja. Jesus Christ, probably the most overpowered perk in any COD game. Completely silent AND louder enemies? Basically Sitrep Pro sans any downsides and ability to see equipment.

And I've already made my thoughts known about Hardline Pro. Completely ridiculous. Contrary to popular belief, Treyarch hasn't seemed to learn from any of the mistakes in MW2. Akimbo shotguns? Check. Grenade launchers? Check. And instead of MLC runners, we'll have MLSteady Aim Pro runners. Unlimited sprint, faster movement, no falling damage, and quicker recovery after knifing. Bravo, Treyarch, you've really outdone yourselves.

What a letdown.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 01, 2010, 12:37:20 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 01, 2010, 12:25:42 AM

The more information that is revealed about Black Ops, the worse it seems to become. The Pro variants for the perks are all screwed up. For example, why on earth does Marathon Pro give unlimited sprint? What what wrong with vaulting over objects quicker? And Ninja. Jesus Christ, probably the most overpowered perk in any COD game. Completely silent AND louder enemies? Basically Sitrep Pro sans any downsides and ability to see equipment.

And I've already made my thoughts known about Hardline Pro. Completely ridiculous. Contrary to popular belief, Treyarch hasn't seemed to learn from any of the mistakes in MW2. Akimbo shotguns? Check. Grenade launchers? Check. And instead of MLC runners, we'll have MLSteady Aim Pro runners. Unlimited sprint, faster movement, no falling damage, and quicker recovery after knifing. Bravo, Treyarch, you've really outdone yourselves.
a letdown.

the guy that posted that has been posting about as negative as it can be from the start though.  He's a bit of a drama queen.  I agree with some of what he's saying, but given the source it's hard to just ignore the tone.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 01, 2010, 12:42:47 AM »

I was really looking at the content and it appears to be all true. There will probably be improvements, like less grenade launcher spam and more difficult knifing, but it's just that the message Treyarch was putting out was that they were listening to the fans and mentioned specific things that would be different, but it really doesn't look that way.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 01, 2010, 01:17:16 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 01, 2010, 12:25:42 AM

What a letdown.

Too bad for you I guess.

I loved MW2 and thought it was pretty much the perfect MP FPS.  Loved all the killstreaks.  Loved grenade launcher with One-Man Army.

Thought Commando knifing was funny as shit too, although I never did it much myself because I found noob tubing to be more effective on most maps.  I even loved the dual 1887s until they nerfed it.

The only semi-bad thing about MW2 was a few of the bugs and glitches.  But even those were funny as hell too, like the Javelin and Care Packages.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: