http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 11:54:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of duty - World at war, or CoD4?  (Read 1377 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2009, 04:05:09 PM »

So, Ive just started playing WaW, and I like it - playing through the SP campaign right now, and have played some MP as well and kinda like that as well. Since I'm on a BF streak right now, I was wondering about why everyone says CoD4 is way better MPwise? I mean, WaW is a lot like BF actually, and I kinda like that.

So, is CoD4 worth it? Oh, and bear in mind, I LOVE the SP campaings, even though they are short - having a blast in WaW right now...

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 06:32:28 PM »

YES

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 07:06:55 PM »

the single-player campaign of COD4 is short, but it's an absolutely thrilling experience...interesting story, great graphics, and some of the best set pieces i've experienced in a FPS.  it's definitely worth playing if you enjoy that type of game and don't mind a quick ride.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 05:36:35 AM »

Single player in CoD4 is amazing, if frustrating at times.  It is the only CoD I've played until just picking up WaW a couple of weeks ago.  The multiplayer in CoD4 is 100% infantry based--no vehicles.  Many people prefer this and while I'm not one of them, I certainly cannot complain.

So far in WaW I have only played the multiplayer and while I'll grant that I'm only level 15 or so, I don't find it anywhere near as compelling as 4.  The voice acting is absolutely the worst ever and since you get to hear it over and over again it kind of grates.  The Russian voiceover sounds pretty much Japanese and the German voiceover is so over the top that it drives me nuts.  I'm pretty sure the American voiceover is Jack Bauer and even that gets old quickly.

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 07:52:55 AM »

Quote from: Redfive on March 29, 2009, 05:36:35 AM

Single player in CoD4 is amazing, if frustrating at times.  It is the only CoD I've played until just picking up WaW a couple of weeks ago.  The multiplayer in CoD4 is 100% infantry based--no vehicles.  Many people prefer this and while I'm not one of them, I certainly cannot complain.

So far in WaW I have only played the multiplayer and while I'll grant that I'm only level 15 or so, I don't find it anywhere near as compelling as 4.  The voice acting is absolutely the worst ever and since you get to hear it over and over again it kind of grates.  The Russian voiceover sounds pretty much Japanese and the German voiceover is so over the top that it drives me nuts.  I'm pretty sure the American voiceover is Jack Bauer and even that gets old quickly.

Thanks, Redfive - I DO Love infantry combat, so thats nice to know! I think I'll go get me this CoD4! Damn I have a lot of BFstyle games to play now :-D

Btw, its Gary Oldman that does the russion voiceover, and coming from someone who's been rather close with russians, I think its pretty spot on!  nod

A new one
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 12:56:11 PM »

Yeah, my CoD clan that plays twice a week spent about 2 weeks on World at War before going back to CoD4. World at War's maps are nicer because of their larger size, but something about the whole experience just doesn't add up to the same level of fun as CoD4.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 04:05:28 PM »

I've enjoyed them both but I spent a lot more time playing COD4.   Maybe it was because it seemed somewhat fresh to play in a modern setting compared to the flood of WW2 games in recent years.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 08:59:54 AM »

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on March 29, 2009, 04:05:28 PM

Maybe it was because it seemed somewhat fresh to play in a modern setting compared to the flood of WW2 games in recent years.
This.  I was incredulous that they went back to WW2 with World at War after how great it was to move to the modern era with CoD4.

Though now that I think about it, while I liked BF1942 a great deal, I truly loved the Desert Combat mod when it came out and I don't think I ever played much of the base game (or expansion) again.  I guess I'm a modern weapons kinda guy.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 08:57:16 PM »

okay, tried and bought Cod4 now...and,eh...its an arcade killfest..thats all

THe maps are small, you die every other second, and there's no teamwork whatsoever...

WaW, with its bigger maps, allow for more tactics, and I hate to say this, but BF2 has far superior gameplay, in terms of squads being usefull, tactics likewise, and you can actually stay alive longer than 10-15 seconds at a time.

I mean, come on, I was at a map that had us spawning literally on top of eachother?? I died every other  second due to grenades, since that was all people did, or, from someone spawning RIGHT on top of me....

THe SP experience seems fun though

A new one
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 08:58:41 PM »

The voice acting is absolutely the worst ever and since you get to hear it over and over again it kind of grates.  The Russian voiceover sounds pretty much Japanese and the German voiceover is so over the top that it drives me nuts.  I'm pretty sure the American voiceover is Jack Bauer and even that gets old quickly.

Yup, if you do drugs before you play that's more or less how it will sound.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 09:08:14 PM by kronovan » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 09:19:04 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 30, 2009, 08:57:16 PM

I mean, come on, I was at a map that had us spawning literally on top of eachother?? I died every other  second due to grenades, since that was all people did, or, from someone spawning RIGHT on top of me....

you must have been playing Shipment- I think the only reason a server with more than a 12 player limit puts that map into rotation is that it's a great way to rack up XP very quickly. 

unless you suck. 

and your name is Razgon.

Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 09:53:13 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 30, 2009, 08:58:41 PM

The voice acting is absolutely the worst ever and since you get to hear it over and over again it kind of grates.  The Russian voiceover sounds pretty much Japanese and the German voiceover is so over the top that it drives me nuts.  I'm pretty sure the American voiceover is Jack Bauer and even that gets old quickly.

Yup, if you do drugs before you play that's more or less how it will sound.  Roll Eyes

I'm not talking about the single player campaign.  I'm talking about the voice overs in multiplayer..when the Russians call for artillery it sounds like pretty much anything but Russian and since you get to hear it 50 times a match, it grates.

That's okay though, I'm not grading for reading comprehension.

heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 11:52:54 PM »

Funnily enough I was just replaying COD4 and I get right to the very end and ...

Spoiler for Hiden:
"Sgt. Bartlett" runs up and pistol whips the three remaining enemies, killing them all; including the main antagonist that I was supposed to finish off. So Price tosses me the sidearm and I'm left with nothing to do. I've finished it twice before (Regular and Veteran) and never had this happen, so I thought it was a pretty amusing bug.
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 01:42:05 AM »

okay, tried and bought Cod4 now...and,eh...its an arcade killfest..thats all

THe maps are small, you die every other second, and there's no teamwork whatsoever...

WaW, with its bigger maps, allow for more tactics, and I hate to say this, but BF2 has far superior gameplay, in terms of squads being usefull, tactics likewise, and you can actually stay alive longer than 10-15 seconds at a time.

THe SP experience seems fun though

Try the maps:  Crossfire or District.  The action is still very immediate but rarely are you spawn camped.  Actually, you're almost never spawn camped in CoD4 except in shipment and probably killhouse as those two are very small maps.  None of them are even near as big as a BF2 map.  Overgrown is one of the larger maps but I don't care for it much--you might like it as it is a little more spread out.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 06:26:46 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 30, 2009, 09:19:04 PM

you must have been playing Shipment- I think the only reason a server with more than a 12 player limit puts that map into rotation is that it's a great way to rack up XP very quickly. 

unless you suck. 

and your name is Razgon.

Tongue

You sir, are challenged! Meet me on the battlefield and we will settle this once and for all. Since I am the wronged part,  I choose weapons...

The feared ancient game of KALAHA!

Other than that - the game is too fast, and too arcady, I miss the tactical aspect in it. The funny thing is, the SP game does have this...

anyways, back to BF and World at war with me :-)

A new one
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: