http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 10:17:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of Duty World at War (360) impressions  (Read 37071 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 19, 2009, 04:26:11 PM »

Went through the Xbox.com web interface and added the new Map Pack 1 to my queue. Took quite a while, the Marketplace is being slammed. Won't be able to download for another two or three hours.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 19, 2009, 04:51:10 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on March 19, 2009, 04:26:11 PM

Went through the Xbox.com web interface and added the new Map Pack 1 to my queue. Took quite a while, the Marketplace is being slammed. Won't be able to download for another two or three hours.

how many points was it?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 19, 2009, 05:01:34 PM »

800 for the map pack.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 19, 2009, 05:04:42 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 19, 2009, 05:01:34 PM

800 for the map pack.

thanks.  luckily my account is flush with points for a change.

I blame Rock Band 2.

Because I can,
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 19, 2009, 05:15:10 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 19, 2009, 10:20:58 AM

Items Addressed:

Improvements have been made to the global spawn system – players should never spawn within the line of sight of an enemy.

Players are now deducted 200 points for team killing the bomb planter/defuser in Hardcore Search & Destroy.

This just might be the greatest patch in the History of Western Civilization.  Fixed spawn killing *AND* hammered the hell out of people trying to artificially inflate their scores by prolonging games?  FUCKING GENIUS!!!!!! headbang

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: March 19, 2009, 05:45:14 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on March 19, 2009, 04:26:11 PM

I can't even get the site to let me add points to my account (getting a variety of error messages). I'm trying to give you money MS!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 19, 2009, 05:46:15 PM »

Now if they'd just put tanks back into Hardcore...

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 19, 2009, 06:51:53 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 19, 2009, 05:46:15 PM

Now if they'd just put tanks back into Hardcore...

Actually I'm getting used to them not being in hardcore, as are the players I play against. And even in Downfall and Seelowe snipers don't dominate like they did when the tanks were first taken away.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 19, 2009, 07:08:57 PM »

Whoohoo! HC Team Deathmatch for the map pack! All the new maps, over and over...  eek

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #529 on: March 19, 2009, 08:29:24 PM »

Impressions:

Station - Too fucking dark!!!!!!!!!! What is it with the love these developers seem to have for night maps? Ya can't see anything unless you jack up the brightness on your TV (which I refuse to do). Also, it's supposed to be a subway station, underground obviously, but airstrikes can penetrate with impunity, like their bunker busters or something? 3 out of 10

Nightfire - Even darker than station and too reminiscent of Chinatown for my liking.  This map during the day would be awesome though, and there do seem to be a few places where you can actually (GASP!) use a rifle and have good firing lanes. 5.5 out of 10

Knee Deep - Absolutely awesome map! Maybe the best map in the game. Seems very balanced, just the right size, and lots of different strategies can be employed here. I really enjoy this one. 9.5 out of 10

Haven't seen Verruckt pop up yet, so can't comment on it.

Overall, maybe not quite as good as CoD 4's pack, but I don't regret the purchase. I'd love to see them move away from night maps though.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 19, 2009, 08:53:35 PM »

Quote from: jblank on March 19, 2009, 08:29:24 PM

Station - Too fucking dark!!!!!!!!!!

Haven't seen Verruckt pop up yet, so can't comment on it.

Just use night vision. Oh, wait.

Verruckt is a Nazi Zombie map, not an MP map.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #531 on: March 19, 2009, 09:00:10 PM »

I never did finish single player, so I haven't played the Nazi Zombie stuff yet.

Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 19, 2009, 09:04:22 PM »

Quote from: jblank on March 19, 2009, 09:00:10 PM

I never did finish single player, so I haven't played the Nazi Zombie stuff yet.

Should be unlocked for everyone now.  Only single player Zombies is locked if you haven't completed the Campaign.

Just a little hiccup.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #533 on: March 19, 2009, 10:39:47 PM »

So, I get the impressions that if you are ONLY interested in the SP that the game is not a worth a purchase at any price? 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 19, 2009, 10:47:22 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on March 19, 2009, 10:39:47 PM

So, I get the impressions that if you are ONLY interested in the SP that the game is not a worth a purchase at any price? 

No, no.  I enjoyed the SP quite a bit.  CoD:MW was better, but it's still good.  However, there is a Nazi Zombie SP game.  I think you still need to finish the campaign to get to it, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 20, 2009, 01:11:27 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 19, 2009, 05:45:14 PM

I can't even get the site to let me add points to my account (getting a variety of error messages). I'm trying to give you money MS!

same here.  I thought I had alot of points, but I forgot I bought Dr Feelgood and that ate up most of them.

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 20, 2009, 01:30:29 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 20, 2009, 01:11:27 AM

same here.  I thought I had alot of points, but I forgot I bought Dr Feelgood and that ate up most of them.

XBL is having "Billing problems" according to this post by Major Nelson.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 20, 2009, 01:59:12 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on March 20, 2009, 01:30:29 AM

finally got the points, now just to wait for the thing to download.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 20, 2009, 04:00:04 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 20, 2009, 01:59:12 AM

Quote from: jztemple2 on March 20, 2009, 01:30:29 AM

finally got the points, now just to wait for the thing to download.

I was still unable to get points as of about 10 minutes ago (got further than before, but still couldn't make it). I was ready to play this again, too frown  At least I made some good progress on Prince of Persia.

edit:  ok, I finally was able to get the points through the website and queue up the map pack. I'll have to turn on my console tomorrow morning.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 04:03:09 AM by Teggy » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 20, 2009, 06:56:19 AM »

Impressions:

Station - Too fucking dark!!!!!!!!!! What is it with the love these developers seem to have for night maps? Ya can't see anything unless you jack up the brightness on your TV (which I refuse to do). Also, it's supposed to be a subway station, underground obviously, but airstrikes can penetrate with impunity, like their bunker busters or something? 3 out of 10

Nightfire - Even darker than station and too reminiscent of Chinatown for my liking.  This map during the day would be awesome though, and there do seem to be a few places where you can actually (GASP!) use a rifle and have good firing lanes. 5.5 out of 10

have you tried adjusting your TV/in game brightness?  I have to say I found neither to be too dark, but Nightfire did seem to have way too many places for some fucktard to sit around and camp.

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: March 20, 2009, 10:29:37 AM »

I got in a couple of hours on the new maps with Hark and Hellspawn and a couple of others.

Nightfire isn't too dark, you probably just need to adjust your brightness. It is a pain in the ass sometimes, being a small map. It is very much like Chinatown, you walk around outside, you're gonna get sniped. It does seem to be a good map for campers, since there are several ambush spots. Once I get used to finding them, I'll be dropping some bettys  ninja

Station is pretty good. The design is pretty linear, but the curve of the tracks cuts off any real long sniper shots. Also it's a really big map; I was surprised at how long it can take to amble down from one end to the other. Because at any location there are five different paths running parallel it's not going to be dominated by bettys. I know, I tried. Check out the blue signs in the stairwells at each end, very cool  slywink

Knee Deep is brilliant. Very open with no obvious travel routes. Lots and lots of good locations to set up an ambush, but all of them are open to being outflanked easily. Bettys are probably only going to be worthwhile if you are going to camp and even then with two bettys you can't block all approaches to most camping spots. A good map for the use of Deep Impact, since there are few concrete structures. It's a map where I wish I could have three primary grenades.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 20, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »

All three maps are pretty amazing and easily among the best maps available for the game.

I'm having no problem with darkness on either map.  They are both brighter than the original Makin by a large margin and Makin wasn't too dark either.  (of course I obviously only think this because jblank doesn't. Tongue)

All three maps have the qualities I love in a map that were first shown by chinatown.  Many nice vantage spots, all with multiple vulnerablities to balance them.  Very well done.  Now if only we can go a week before the glitches are found. frown

The new Zombie map is amazing (and amazingly hard) and really breathes a new life into the mode. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 20, 2009, 12:59:57 PM »

Love new maps.  Nightfire favorite, good layout.  Station very nice, reminiscent of Fallout 3 subways.  Knee Deep incredible, much to learn.  New zombie map much deeper.  Too rushed to write further. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 20, 2009, 01:13:55 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 20, 2009, 12:59:57 PM

Love new maps.  Nightfire favorite, good layout.  Station very nice, reminiscent of Fallout 3 subways.  Knee Deep incredible, much to learn.  New zombie map much deeper.  Too rushed to write further. 

Rorschach Journal Entry: March 20th, 2009
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 20, 2009, 01:15:41 PM »

Me John.  Big tree.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 20, 2009, 01:36:22 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 20, 2009, 01:13:55 PM

lol

One of us died today.  Respawn time acceptable.

Spoiler for Watchmen spoiler:
Possible TKer?  Must investigate further.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 20, 2009, 02:45:02 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 20, 2009, 01:36:22 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on March 20, 2009, 01:13:55 PM

lol

One of us died today.  Respawn time acceptable.

Spoiler for Watchmen spoiler:
Possible TKer?  Must investigate further.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Moriarty did it

Because I can,
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #547 on: March 20, 2009, 08:42:43 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 20, 2009, 06:56:19 AM

Impressions:

have you tried adjusting your TV/in game brightness?  I have to say I found neither to be too dark, but Nightfire did seem to have way too many places for some fucktard to sit around and camp.

Thing is, I don't wanna have to do that. I've got my TV perfectly calibrated, and if I adjust it in the game, then every game is gonna seem washed out.  icon_frown

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #548 on: March 20, 2009, 08:46:30 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 20, 2009, 11:06:00 AM

All three maps are pretty amazing and easily among the best maps available for the game.

I'm having no problem with darkness on either map.  They are both brighter than the original Makin by a large margin and Makin wasn't too dark either.  (of course I obviously only think this because jblank doesn't. Tongue)

All three maps have the qualities I love in a map that were first shown by chinatown.  Many nice vantage spots, all with multiple vulnerablities to balance them.  Very well done.  Now if only we can go a week before the glitches are found. frown

The new Zombie map is amazing (and amazingly hard) and really breathes a new life into the mode. 

Actually, I think you probably DO think that just because I think the opposite, but that's just an opinion. I'm not the only one online complaining about the maps being too dark though, so I take comfort in that.

There is no way that Nightfire is brighter than old Makin Hark, NO WAY dude.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 20, 2009, 08:48:39 PM »

If your TV was perfectly calibrated you'd be able to see just fine in Station and Nightfire.  I copied my TV settings from what the insane A/V people at the AVS forums with thousand dollar calibration gizmos came up with as ideal and those levels are perfectly easy to see as-is.

If you're happy with how your TV is set, though, can't you just change the in-game brightness and have it affect CoD:WaW and only CoD:WaW?
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #550 on: March 20, 2009, 08:54:03 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 20, 2009, 08:48:39 PM

If your TV was perfectly calibrated you'd be able to see just fine in Station and Nightfire.  I copied my TV settings from what the insane A/V people at the AVS forums with thousand dollar calibration gizmos came up with as ideal and those levels are perfectly easy to see as-is.

If you're happy with how your TV is set, though, can't you just change the in-game brightness and have it affect CoD:WaW and only CoD:WaW?

My TV was calibrated by a buddy of mine that works as a HT installer for a company in Johnson City, so please, lets not pretend that it's my TV. No other game that has dark levels presents a problem, nor does any movie on DVD or Blu-Ray. It ISN'T the TV.

I'm going to bow out before I get pissed though. The Call of Duty WaW defense force seems to be massing to gang up on me for not slobbering all over the game again.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 20, 2009, 09:00:04 PM »

Quote from: jblank on March 20, 2009, 08:54:03 PM

I'm going to bow out before I get pissed though. The Call of Duty WaW defense force seems to be massing to gang up on me for not slobbering all over the game again.

Don't forget to read the parts where we're trying to help you.

I'd have to check when I get home but again, isn't there an in-game gamma or brightness setting?  Changing that wouldn't change anything for other games or movies.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: March 20, 2009, 09:03:56 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 20, 2009, 09:00:04 PM

I'd have to check when I get home but again, isn't there an in-game gamma or brightness setting?  Changing that wouldn't change anything for other games or movies.

I don't need help.

If I change the brightness in game, it will wash out all the other maps.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 20, 2009, 09:20:59 PM »

Cut the persecution complex crap jblank, I gave my opinion because it's what I believe.  I dont' give a rats ass if it's the same or different than yours.  I was merely pointing out that the map is not too dark to see what's going on.  If you think it is, you need to check your eyes/tv/console settings, or just not play the new maps.

Just because people disagree with you and defend their position doesn't mean it's a personal attack and it definitely doesn't mean you have to get all whiney about it.  the map is supposed to be darker than most of the maps.  That's because it's night time and so people can move/hide in the shadows.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: March 20, 2009, 09:24:16 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 20, 2009, 09:20:59 PM

Cut the persecution complex crap jblank, I gave my opinion because it's what I believe.  I dont' give a rats ass if it's the same or different than yours.  I was merely pointing out that the map is not too dark to see what's going on.  If you think it is, you need to check your eyes/tv/console settings, or just not play the new maps.

Just because people disagree with you and defend their position doesn't mean it's a personal attack and it definitely doesn't mean you have to get all whiney about it.  the map is supposed to be darker than most of the maps.  That's because it's night time and so people can move/hide in the shadows.

Again with the Psychiatry huh? Why don't you shove that bullshit you keep saying about me up your ass. I swear to God, if I didn't know better I would think you were RunningMan9 or whatever the fuck that cocksuckers name is from OO. God damn you're a prick.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: March 20, 2009, 10:00:20 PM »

Quote from: jblank on March 20, 2009, 09:03:56 PM

I don't need help.

Well since you seem to like pissing all over me when I try to offer it then don't worry, I won't offer it to you again.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #556 on: March 20, 2009, 10:04:58 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 20, 2009, 10:00:20 PM

Quote from: jblank on March 20, 2009, 09:03:56 PM

I don't need help.

Well since you seem to like pissing all over me when I try to offer it then don't worry, I won't offer it to you again.

It wasn't personal, but I had already addressed what you had said. I wasn't pissing all over you, I consider you a friend on here.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 20, 2009, 10:10:24 PM »

Quote from: jblank on March 20, 2009, 09:24:16 PM

Again with the Psychiatry huh? Why don't you shove that bullshit you keep saying about me up your ass. I swear to God, if I didn't know better I would think you were RunningMan9 or whatever the fuck that cocksuckers name is from OO. God damn you're a prick.

Lets lay off the personal attacks jblank.  After reading this thread all I see is people trying to help you, or give you suggestions that might give you a better experience.  Instead you turn around and start to bite that hand that feeds you as they say.  Your're entitled to your opinion and please share them in a civil way without resorting to attacks on other forum members.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 20, 2009, 10:22:53 PM »

Cut the persecution complex

+1. That's the exact thought that came to mind. And no, I'm not persecuting you Tongue
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 20, 2009, 10:34:46 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on March 20, 2009, 10:22:53 PM

Cut the persecution complex

+1. That's the exact thought that came to mind. And no, I'm not persecuting you Tongue

It's already been handled, you don't need to add your two cents in.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: