http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 09:24:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of Duty World at War (360) impressions  (Read 36653 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 09, 2008, 05:21:49 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on December 09, 2008, 05:18:21 PM

I had a very good time yesterday, although the weird behavior of the servers that kept sticking us in Search & Destroy was irritating. I'm still occasionally experimenting with my kit, trying some different weapons. One problem is my addiction to Camouflage, I simply cannot force myself to try other perks there  ninja

Yeah I have camo on all my HC kits.  I am not sure it helps me though as I just get killed repeatedly!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 12, 2008, 04:54:04 AM »

FG42 + steady aim+ stopping power The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

(double tap is fun too biggrin)

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 12, 2008, 05:09:30 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 12, 2008, 04:54:04 AM

FG42 + steady aim+ stopping power The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Even think about hitting the trigger and it's time to reload...

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 12, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »

I enjoyed seeing all of you guys having a little party last night.  Cute.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 12, 2008, 02:33:58 PM »

I'll be on and off during the day today if anyone wants to team up. 

I forgot how much I hate playing CoD4 and CoD:WaW with no teammates I know.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: December 12, 2008, 02:47:55 PM »

It's ugly today in Massachusetts and I was so so close to calling in sick.  Ah well.  I also want to take another stab at bringing down your Vega soon now that I've read up a bit more on my characters' moves.  I've only got two more weeks left of being able to blame the 360 controller for my ineptitude.

Last night in CoD was a lot of fun.  We had a full squad but with none of our usual ringers; it was like being in B-Company.  While we didn't have any of the runaway wins we often get with Hark and Hellspawn on the team, I think we did win more often than we lost.

Oh except for tank maps: we got some runaway wins there because we're such tank whores.  Those were great.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 12, 2008, 03:00:05 PM »

Heh, we really are tank whores.

I wish (and I know I've said this a million times) we could play a non-tank playlist with team deathmatch

(just got my 100th ranked win with Vega... wooot!)
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 12, 2008, 03:01:40 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 12, 2008, 02:47:55 PM

It's ugly today in Massachusetts and I was so so close to calling in sick.  Ah well.  I also want to take another stab at bringing down your Vega soon now that I've read up a bit more on my characters' moves.  I've only got two more weeks left of being able to blame the 360 controller for my ineptitude.

Last night in CoD was a lot of fun.  We had a full squad but with none of our usual ringers; it was like being in B-Company.  While we didn't have any of the runaway wins we often get with Hark and Hellspawn on the team, I think we did win more often than we lost.

Oh except for tank maps: we got some runaway wins there because we're such tank whores.  Those were great.

Didn't know you were in Mass - east, west or central?

Pug is too modest. In an early round on Dome it was 6 on 1 for a while, Pug being the one. We only barely beat his team.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 12, 2008, 03:25:32 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 12, 2008, 03:01:40 PM

Cambridge, you?

Pug is too modest. In an early round on Dome it was 6 on 1 for a while, Pug being the one. We only barely beat his team.

That was damn fun.  I could usually get at least one kill after spawning since I had a lot of targets, but after that kill my location would be given away and I'd have the five of you swooping in on me, and on Dome you're extremely exposed when you try to move between cover points and thus I'd die right after the kill.

I wish I could've stayed alone on my team even longer; I was starting to get the hang of it!  My 20 second respawn timer must've been a bit boring for your side, though.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 12, 2008, 03:28:45 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 12, 2008, 03:25:32 PM

Cambridge, you?

Ah, didn't know that. I am in Waltham.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 12, 2008, 03:33:42 PM »

As I recall it, we lost that round by 60.  That was because pug is such a ninja that it took us almost a full minute to track him down after all his teammates bailed and that went on for about three minutes before more targets started to drop in.  Heck, there are 12 people listed on his team for that match.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 12, 2008, 03:46:49 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on December 12, 2008, 03:33:42 PM

As I recall it, we lost that round by 60.  That was because pug is such a ninja that it took us almost a full minute to track him down after all his teammates bailed and that went on for about three minutes before more targets started to drop in.  Heck, there are 12 people listed on his team for that match.

Wow, you're right.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 23, 2008, 03:49:11 PM »

I finally picked this up using some X-Mas cash and really haven't been wowed by it yet.  MP is kinda fun, but not as much as CoD4 was, but it still may be the only reason I keep the game.  The single player portion hasn't had any standout moments for me yet- the beginning of the Russian campaign was kind of cool in an Enemy at the Gates way, but it feels like that's been overdone at this point (the first 2 CoD games also knocked off scenes from the movie).  maybe it'll pick up (I'm up to the assault on Seelow) but I'm not counting on it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 23, 2008, 03:56:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 23, 2008, 03:49:11 PM

I finally picked this up using some X-Mas cash and really haven't been wowed by it yet.  MP is kinda fun, but not as much as CoD4 was, but it still may be the only reason I keep the game.  The single player portion hasn't had any standout moments for me yet- the beginning of the Russian campaign was kind of cool in an Enemy at the Gates way, but it feels like that's been overdone at this point (the first 2 CoD games also knocked off scenes from the movie).  maybe it'll pick up (I'm up to the assault on Seelow) but I'm not counting on it.

Overall I thought the single player campaign wasn't anything special, especially the pacific theatre portion. I did however like Gary Oldman's voice acting as the Russian commander and thought he elevated the story a bit. However, played co-operatively the campaign is far better IMO.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 29, 2008, 06:44:53 PM »

Finished SP last night. I have to say that this was my least favorite of the series. Now I just really need to get some MP play in. I keep saying it, and at some point I actually will (I'm sure all of the GT crew will have passed on by then though).

LiveTAG: happydog
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 29, 2008, 07:21:49 PM »

I saw you on last night, but didn't wish to disturb your video watching(?) last night by pinging an invite.  I believe we had 10 people on at once last night.  The MP is still going strong at the moment.  I think it will still be going strong through late February when Street Fighter 28.5 Super Mega Hyper Turbo Chinchilla Edition comes out.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 07:24:28 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 29, 2008, 07:26:11 PM »

Quote from: happydog on December 29, 2008, 06:44:53 PM

Finished SP last night. I have to say that this was my least favorite of the series. Now I just really need to get some MP play in. I keep saying it, and at some point I actually will (I'm sure all of the GT crew will have passed on by then though).

Even over 3?

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 30, 2008, 05:32:12 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 29, 2008, 07:26:11 PM

Even over 3?

Now that you mention it, I don't think I played 3. Although I might have rented it... it is a distant memory now.

LiveTAG: happydog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 30, 2008, 06:28:40 AM »

Quote from: happydog on December 30, 2008, 05:32:12 AM

Even over 3?

Now that you mention it, I don't think I played 3. Although I might have rented it... it is a distant memory now.

IIRC 3 had a much more cohesive storyline for all the factions involved.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 02, 2009, 07:21:45 AM »

well, I finished up tonight and I have to give the SP story a hearty 'meh'.  Here's hoping Infinity Ward can re-create their magic every other year cause Treyarch isn't quite cutting it.

Because I can,
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: January 02, 2009, 04:17:51 PM »

It's the overall 'meh' impressions I am getting on the SP side that have relegated this for me to 'when it hits $19.99 or below bin'.  The fact that EVERY other CoD game made I have not kept after beating the SP ought to tell me something, but I am  a slow learner that way.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 02, 2009, 04:30:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 30, 2008, 06:28:40 AM

Quote from: happydog on December 30, 2008, 05:32:12 AM

Even over 3?

IIRC 3 had a much more cohesive storyline for all the factions involved.

Perhaps, but it was a much cheesier, lifeless story, IMO.  I was way more underwhelmed by 3 over WaW, personally.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 02, 2009, 09:51:30 PM »

played 3 so long ago, i only remember a few things.  there were nazi's.  i killed them, then moved on.  oh, and there was a driving sequence.

tbh, i enjoyed the campaign of the last moh more than cod5.  and surprisingly, i enjoyed the russian side more than the pacific side, except for a few notable pita parts.  of course, playing it on hardened automatically makes the game less enjoyable due to the constant dying and pattern memorization.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 05, 2009, 01:38:22 AM »

Finished the SP campaign tonight. I think this game sets a new record for shortest amount of SP gameplay. I think it took about 6 hours to complete, and I was able to do it over the weekend in 1.5-2 hour spurts. The pacific campaign sucked, as there really wasn't any cohesive story. They also threw in a mission where you played a completely different character unrelated to either of the two storylines, and then never went back to him. The Russian campaign was pretty good, with the whole revenge angle being played up.

I haven't played much MP yet, but so far I think CoD 4 is much better than WaW. I'm kind of regretting not waiting for a cheaper used version. Maybe I'm just burnt out on WWII, but I miss the modern weaponry. Playing this game actually made me want to go back and play CoD 4 again.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 05, 2009, 04:43:26 AM »

Quote from: JayDee on January 05, 2009, 01:38:22 AM

They also threw in a mission where you played a completely different character unrelated to either of the two storylines, and then never went back to him.

I think that was their (failed) attempt at recreating the AC-130 gunship level from CoD4.

Because I can,
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 11, 2009, 08:16:51 PM »

OK, I have to tell someone. I started playing this afternoon and in my first match, which I usually have trouble in, I went 29-2 on Cliffside  icon_cool

XBL gamertag: jztemple
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 11, 2009, 08:53:35 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on February 11, 2009, 08:16:51 PM

OK, I have to tell someone. I started playing this afternoon and in my first match, which I usually have trouble in, I went 29-2 on Cliffside  icon_cool

congrats,as you can't be in a tank on cliffside,you wanna tell us your secret?

in more or less all the maps,run and gun is usually what i always do(usually some Russian rifle...can't remember the name),it seemed to work for COD4(although i stick with the M16 which some people dont like me using for some reason),as i used to be decently good on there,but on COD5,i seem to just be a very average player,i was looking forward to the WWII setting more than anyone as COD2 is my favourite COD

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 11, 2009, 09:10:01 PM »

We usually play hardcore and run and gun is never a good idea (well, unless you are playing against vastly inferior opponents).  Find a spot, get a couple kills, quickly move to another location and repeat.  Don't sprint much (since you can't bring the gun up while sprinting and it's easy to die quickly if someone gets a bead on ya).

Suppressors and camo are also key.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 11, 2009, 09:37:31 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 11, 2009, 08:53:35 PM

Quote from: Roscoe on February 11, 2009, 08:16:51 PM

congrats,as you can't be in a tank on cliffside,you wanna tell us your secret?

Well, it doesn't hurt that my first six kills were on the cliff side part of the map. I just waited in ambush and those six guys, one by one, walked through the narrow pass to the cliff side from the Japanese spawn. Then I dropped artillery and sent off dogs, getting a few more kills. I ended up with another round of dogs, and another session of ambushing the enemy who came down the exact same route as before. Makes me smile  icon_smile

XBL gamertag: jztemple
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 11, 2009, 11:38:23 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 11, 2009, 09:10:01 PM

We usually play hardcore and run and gun is never a good idea (well, unless you are playing against vastly inferior opponents).  Find a spot, get a couple kills, quickly move to another location and repeat. 

okay,i was under the impression that was run and gun..so yeah thats the way i play,stop,gun and run..repeat icon_razz

and Roscoe,i should of known about the dogs,they can be great..when on your side disgust

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 11, 2009, 11:47:19 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 11, 2009, 11:38:23 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on February 11, 2009, 09:10:01 PM

We usually play hardcore and run and gun is never a good idea (well, unless you are playing against vastly inferior opponents).  Find a spot, get a couple kills, quickly move to another location and repeat. 

okay,i was under the impression that was run and gun..so yeah thats the way i play,stop,gun and run..repeat icon_razz

and Roscoe,i should of known about the dogs,they can be great..when on your side disgust

This may sound dumb- but think about it as real war. You wouldn't go running willie nillie in a real war zone...
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 11, 2009, 11:49:10 PM »

The firing speed on that gun is absurd. Double tap!?  icon_eek
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 12, 2009, 01:35:18 AM »

Just had my best match ever: 27-0 on downfall.

Was in the tank most of the match, but did get out strategically to shoot up some fools.

Had a couple of tank battles. Was sweet.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 12, 2009, 01:37:33 AM »

tank whore!  Tongue

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 12, 2009, 02:44:19 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on February 11, 2009, 11:49:10 PM

Just for fun.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: February 12, 2009, 02:45:58 AM »

tonight I joined a match with GT'rs (on the other team) and in 25 seconds I had dogs  icon_eek

Joined with 4:30 remaining and ended 24-7 or so and had about double second place.   Felt good.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 12, 2009, 02:46:44 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 12, 2009, 02:44:19 AM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on February 11, 2009, 11:49:10 PM

Just for fun.

My standard FG42 setup is Bandolier, Sleight of Hand and Deep Impact.  Sleight of Hand is awesome since you reload so often with it.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 12, 2009, 07:26:31 PM »

i like cod 4 better...

but had fun last night!  ill be on most nights until i return it, so hit me up while you can!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 12, 2009, 07:37:59 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on February 12, 2009, 07:26:31 PM

i like cod 4 better...

but had fun last night!  ill be on most nights until i return it, so hit me up while you can!

I like most aspects of COD4 better (map design, weapon balance, spawning system) but every time a helicopter comes in I end up switching back to WaW.  Dogs are just so much better balanced than the heli. (plus I love tanks smile )
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 12, 2009, 08:17:50 PM »

I think the big difference in Map design between the two games is due TO the tanks though.  The CoD4 maps are better cause they didn't have to be designed around tank warfare.  The outdoor maps in CoD4 are much more interesting and varied since they only have to support infantry.

I'd like both games much better if they totally removed the 7 kill perks...both helicopter and dogs...they'd be much better competative games then imho.

The glitchiness still there in utilizing dogs to get another dogs, for example, really hurts the game too.  As does not allowing both teams to have them out at the same time...making it a frequent contest to see which team can mash the call in the fastest and keep the other from being able to use theirs...at all.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: