http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 02:22:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of Duty World at War (360) impressions  (Read 37399 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 21, 2008, 10:45:21 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on November 21, 2008, 10:30:37 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 21, 2008, 09:32:18 PM

Quote from: pr0ner on November 21, 2008, 09:29:53 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 21, 2008, 09:14:42 PM

Quote from: pr0ner on November 21, 2008, 09:11:48 PM

Your Dome map suggestions are hilarious, Hark.

I will say that the map is fantastic for free-for-all, though.

And yes, the vast majority of the time in hardcore, you get shot, you get dead.  But sometimes you can get lucky.  Even running across the larger maps like Cliffside, I've been hit, and can still get away.  I think Hellspawn commented on it once.

We must use the same haircare products.  <<emoticon removed due to lack of fabulousness>>

I use no haircare products.

Then you must not truly care about your hair.  Unrefined heathen.  Your Fabulous has been rescinded.   disgust

At least I still have my man card.  Which is more than I can say about you, Mr. Fabulous.

Slider?  You stink. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 21, 2008, 10:55:56 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 21, 2008, 08:12:11 PM

Here's a quick version of each map with some labels for references.

Love the comments on Dome  icon_wink

XBL gamertag: jztemple
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 21, 2008, 11:35:49 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 21, 2008, 05:12:08 PM

I'd like to suggest we do an evening of private matches tonight.  Things will be more low-key, we can invite all the players new to the game and our group and there should generally be less stress.  I would suggest that all new players get to level 4 though so they can at least use the create-a-class ability.

We can learn maps, talk strategies and all that without the tension of permanent stats and venomous Live users.  I have no problem putting off getting my flamethrower a day or so to help out slywink

I'm also up for some zombie runs sometime, but as much fun as the mode is, there isn't a lot of variety to it so I generally can only go for one or two attempts at a time.  After seeing the cheat to do infinite zombies, the mode lost a bit of the flare to me since we can't compete with other teams legit.

As I have not even opened the game yet, what does it take to get to level 4? What would be the quickest method for me to do this?

LiveTAG: happydog
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 21, 2008, 11:54:52 PM »

You get XP for kills (10 for people, 3 for dogs), completing challenges (not XBox achievements), and bonus points for matches.  The short answer is play.  It's very quick at the low levels.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 22, 2008, 12:00:22 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 21, 2008, 11:54:52 PM

You get XP for kills (10 for people, 3 for dogs), completing challenges (not XBox achievements), and bonus points for matches.  The short answer is play.  It's very quick at the low levels.

SP, MP or either?

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: November 22, 2008, 12:08:50 AM »

MP in open matches, no private games. That being said, you can be placed in a group that moves together.  Just remember to back out of the match lobby if you hear "bingo bango bongo."

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 22, 2008, 07:25:52 AM »

Added happydog to my friends list. 

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 22, 2008, 04:28:56 PM »

Thanks.

So I ended up playing SP last night rather than MP. Thanks for the invite though PeteRock. So maybe by next week I can get to level 4.

So far in SP I am finding it a lot harder than past CODs. I am playing on normal and have been killed several times. Unfortunately I have to keep the volume down a bit, so it has been very hard to follow the story. Still overall I am happy I picked this up.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 22, 2008, 06:01:36 PM »

Oops!  Hey guys you want the Day 1 Tactical Edge gun for free even if you did not get the CE?

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024156081c/?p=1&of=6&sb=1&did=0ccf0001-0000-4000-8000-00004156081c

You can get it for free through the marketplace.

(Unrelated:  You can get Banjo Kazooie early too)

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/00000001-0000-4000-8000-000058410954
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 22, 2008, 07:32:25 PM »

Last night was a lot of fun.  I was much quieter (and therefore much less profane) than usual because I wasn't feeling well and I was drinking ice water rather than bourbon.  I heard a few yell "ringer" and some even doubted my struggles based upon my performance last night, but I seemed to have a pretty good night for the most part, finishing a few games with a nice positive kill/death ratio, and there were of course the games when I was lucky to earn a kill or two to break up the monotony of non-stop dying, but it was much more fun playing on a team of friends rather than being the odd man out who was stuck on the opposing team while everyone else got to take pleasure in killing the fabulous one. 

I am learning to curb my frustrations and just play the game for what it is, but sometimes I just can't for the life of me figure out how enemies can find and kill me from miles away when I can't even see the slightest hint of movement no matter where I look.  But outside of that, I was pretty psyched to unlock a sight for my Gewehr rifle and it has made me MUCH more accurate.

Does anyone know what other guns offer a nice sight like the Gewehr?  Perhaps something automatic or with a multi-shot burst?  Right now I have to pull the trigger in quick succession to get a string of shots off, which is managable and doesn't cause much recoil, but I'd like to know what others gun I should focus my efforts on as I LOVE the new sights.  I'm much more likely to put in many more ours of play if I can unlock cool weapons with sights as they really help me out and make the game much more fun.  They at least improve on my ability to aim and help my accuracy.  But I'm not interested in the single-shot rifles as I'm useless with them. 

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 22, 2008, 08:38:07 PM »

On Cliffside, I usually go with the Garand.  Semi-auto rifle, decent range, good zoom even with iron sights.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 22, 2008, 08:38:54 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 22, 2008, 06:01:36 PM

Oops!  Hey guys you want the Day 1 Tactical Edge gun for free even if you did not get the CE?

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024156081c/?p=1&of=6&sb=1&did=0ccf0001-0000-4000-8000-00004156081c

An error has occurred during the transaction. Please try again later.

Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 22, 2008, 10:20:41 PM »

Okay, playing with you guys is pretty fun, even if I am pretty quiet, but there's one glaring statistic that is a little troubling:

My kill/death ratio on 11/20, prior to playing with GTers:  1.15

My kill/death ratio 48 hrs later, after several GT games:  0.9

Boooo!   BOOOOO!!!

crybaby

XBox Live:  JNacht
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 22, 2008, 10:52:58 PM »

Hark steals all the kills and deflects the bullets into his team mates.  Just be glad Kato isn't on right now, you'd never get a kill.  ninja

Pikachu, I Blame you!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 22, 2008, 11:31:59 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 22, 2008, 08:38:54 PM

Oh they might have fixed it.  I was able to successfully download it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 22, 2008, 11:59:18 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 22, 2008, 11:31:59 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 22, 2008, 08:38:54 PM

Oh they might have fixed it.  I was able to successfully download it.

Now they're charging 99999 points for it!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 23, 2008, 06:08:41 AM »

Rat bastards....

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 24, 2008, 02:54:50 PM »

A lot of fun games this weekend.  Although now I think I have been formally forbidden from lamenting my performance any longer.   ninja

And for the first time I reached a milestone in my COD:W@W gaming.  I got to call in my first artillery strike!  And not only that, but I GOT TO CALL IN DOGS!!!!!!!!   icon_biggrin  And, as the icing on the corpses I left strewn across the battlefield, I finished first in that round, ahead of Harkonis.  icon_cool  Fucker team-killed me though to end my streak and limit my domination to a respectable level, but it still was a nice achievement.  (icon_wink)  There should be a special achievement for finishing a round ahead of Harkonis.  I did have to laugh though when I saw that it was Harkonis who "accidentally" team-killed me following my best3st run-oxxorz EVARZ!1!111!!!!eleventyone!111!   icon_lol  I know it wasn't on purpose (or so I think), but it was a pretty amusing coincidence. 

Great fun, and now that I'm becoming more comfortable with the game I'm really enjoying MP.  On Sunday I tried to load up a few SP games like GTA IV, Gears of War 2 SP, and Force Unleashed, but I found that what I really wanted to be playing was COD:W@W MP.   ninja  I still get pretty frustrated on some levels when I can't earn a kill to save my life, but overall it is great fun to play with friends.  The private matches were even a blast as well and I wouldn't mind doing a few of those every so often.  It's a chance for everyone to just compete against each other without worrying about XPs or anything else.  The free-for-all match we started with was pretty entertaining.

I was also very happy to see Starshifter join our group.  Yeah, he was apprehensive coming into a round of Hardcore with the W@W veterans, but hopefully he had a good time and got to see first-hand that we all just play to have fun.  No one feels any other player is holding them back or costing them the game, no one has ever been called dead weight, there isn't any expectation that you need to "carry your own weight", we just have fun and laugh with each other.  No one takes things too seriously, it really doesn't matter who finishes where in the leaderboard, and accidental team-kills have yet to be a problem.  Everyone is aware that accidents happen, even at rather inopportune times when you're on the kill-streak of a lifetime ( disgust ), and hopefully Starshifter will give it a shot with us again soon.  We all much rather prefer playing with familiar faces and friends from the forums. 

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 24, 2008, 03:10:43 PM »

Yep, I enjoyed it.  I definitely was very nervous.  I logged on to play my EA BAP hockey game and instantly got two invites to join from wonderpug and Pete.  I was scared shitless but figured I avoided it long enough.  I had a good time.  Definitely strange without the radar but it's more realistic that way.  Heck, I did not do that bad.  I think I was something like 5 kills and 9 deaths.  I even took down the legendary Harkonis once!  Believe you me I'll be bragging about that one for some time now.  icon_wink  Even slaughtered the Fabulous one a couple times!

I will definitely play more with you guys.  I'm not really a multiplayer person, even with hockey which I know I'm really good I don't play online much at all but I'm trying to ease myself into it.  I know I will be taking my lumps plenty of times before I even become remotely competitive but one has to start somewhere.  My biggest fear was that I was the only person having trouble with aiming and getting kills and learning the maps.  It's nice to hear that some of you veteran multiplayer guys can have the same problems.  That's encouraging.

Can someone give me their thoughts on the best weapons to have equipped for each map?  Maybe perks too?  I only have one custom set so far that I'm using all the time.  There are too many options.

And please somebody explain to me HOW-TO-AIM!  It seems that I always miss while others are perfectly steady in their aim (I noticed by watching my death replays).  What is the SECRET to it!?

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 24, 2008, 03:23:24 PM »

Pete, just remember that if I hadn't lost 10 points team killing you, I would have been on top of the score list by 4 points slywink
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: November 24, 2008, 03:26:25 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on November 24, 2008, 03:10:43 PM

Yep, I enjoyed it.  I definitely was very nervous.  I logged on to play my EA BAP hockey game and instantly got two invites to join from wonderpug and Pete.  I was scared shitless but figured I avoided it long enough.  I had a good time.  Definitely strange without the radar but it's more realistic that way.  Heck, I did not do that bad.  I think I was something like 5 kills and 9 deaths.  I even took down the legendary Harkonis once!  Believe you me I'll be bragging about that one for some time now.  icon_wink  Even slaughtered the Fabulous one a couple times!

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.  We all struggle on occasion, and there are times when I'll start a round with 10 straight deaths and not a single kill, or I'll got on an initial tear and then go from 6-0 to 6-15 by the end of the round.  We all have our good games and our bad games.  We all fluctuate on the leaderboard, and it isn't uncommon for a number of us to have a negative kill/death ratio.  This was one of the first times when I had a positive one with any level of consistency.  At first I wasn't a big fan of Hardcore without radar and less shots necessary to kill an enemy, but having tried going back to regular matches, I actually prefer the Hardcore mode. 

I will definitely play more with you guys.  I'm not really a multiplayer person, even with hockey which I know I'm really good I don't play online much at all but I'm trying to ease myself into it.  I know I will be taking my lumps plenty of times before I even become remotely competitive but one has to start somewhere.  My biggest fear was that I was the only person having trouble with aiming and getting kills and learning the maps.  It's nice to hear that some of you veteran multiplayer guys can have the same problems.  That's encouraging.

Live I've said, negative kill/death ratios are pretty common, and it took me quite a while to get to the point where I had a positive kill/death ratio.  Hell, yesterday I called in artillery for the first time since I got the game.  And I only got dogs because the artillery earned me a few more kills.  It could be a while until that happens again.  But I still love playing with friends and we really have a good time when on the same team.

Can someone give me their thoughts on the best weapons to have equipped for each map?  Maybe perks too?  I only have one custom set so far that I'm using all the time.  There are too many options.

My kits are all pretty similar, just with a different primary weapon.  Most of the time I use the Gewehr as I recently unlocked the aperture sight and absolutely love it.  But I've found that it's mainly good on maps with more room to fire.  It isn't very good in close-quarters combat.  So on levels like Dome and Asylum I go with an automatic weapon.

For close-quarters combat I usually go with the MP-40.  It's fully automatic, does a fair bit of damage, and I like it for when I could come around a corner and run into an enemy.  I like it better than the gun with the disk on top (SP-28?) because the SP-28's sights are tough to use and while it holds a large clip it takes forever to reload.

Other than that I pretty much switch between the MP-40 and the Gewehr with aperture sight.  The Bar is okay but I don't use it often, and I don't even bother with the bolt-action rifles. 

When it comes to perks, it depends on if you're playing Hardcore or regular.  Juggernaught (you can take more damage) is almost useless in Hardcore as it only takes a shot or two to kill you as it is.  But in regular mode you can take a full clip and keep on chuggin' if you've got Juggernaught.  I don't use it in Hardcore.  I use the extra special grenade perk for the poison gas grenades, I use frag grenades as my primary grenade, Camoflage when playing Hardcore because you're invisible to the recon plane, and deep penetration for firing through walls.  The only difference is that I keep these perks and just switch between the MP-40 and the Gewehr depending on the level.

And please somebody explain to me HOW-TO-AIM!  It seems that I always miss while others are perfectly steady in their aim (I noticed by watching my death replays).  What is the SECRET to it!?

I was wondering the same thing.  But I learned this weekend that you just need to play and play and play until your fingers get steadier.  I couldn't for the life of me figure out how others would get the drop on me so much faster than I could, but I'm learning that if I move the sticks a little smoother and don't jerk my sights around and I fire while aiming rather than waiting to fire until I have the target in my sights I do a little better.  Plus, the Gewehr doesn't have much recoil and it only fires as fast as you can pull the trigger, so it's easier to fire while aiming because recoil doesn't throw off your sights.

People still hose my ass with bullets pretty regularly while I'm still trying to aim, but with practice and once you find a weapon you like and play with pretty regularly you'll learn to aim a little better.  I'm much better with the Gewehr than anything else because I play with it all the time.  When I have to use the MP-40 I only do so begrudgingly, always longing for my trusty rifle.  We'll be reunited again soon, my pretty.  Soon. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:29:23 PM by PeteRock » Logged

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 24, 2008, 03:26:41 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 24, 2008, 03:23:24 PM

Pete, just remember that if I hadn't lost 10 points team killing you, I would have been on top of the score list by 4 points slywink

Whore.

Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 24, 2008, 03:47:28 PM »

Please note all my comments are directed towards Hardcore Team Deathmatch, which is my preferred mode of play.

If as you note your aim is lacking, then welcome to my world! I have crappy hand-eye coordination, so my preferred option is to put as many bullets on target as possible, before the other guy even spots me. To beat the other guy you have to be able to see him first. Therefore the optical aperture sight is an excellent attachment to an SMG on the smaller maps, while putting one on the assault rifles (SVT-40? And that German one) is better for big maps like Airfield. This way you can hold left trigger and zoom in to watch for enemies while not losing much of your sight picture. You can even crouch (always crouch if not running!) and slowly move while watching a choke point for a target to appear.

For perks, my favorite in slot 1 is the Bouncing Betty. Use it to help prevent people from sneaking up behind you. For instance, on the Hanger map, I like to put a couple in the low bay rooms of the hanger itself to stop folks from sneaking up from that direction, and then position myself to watch the other approaches.

In slot 2 there is no question. it's Camouflage. For all the Young Turks who can run and gun, being seen when the recon plane is up is no big deal, but for us creepers and campers being invisible is mandatory.

Slot 3 depends on taste. I find Second Chance and Martyrdom to be useless for me and since I rarely run Extreme Conditioning is a waste. Therefore Deep Impact suits me fine. Most maps have places where my DI perk makes a difference between a wasted bullet and a kill.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 24, 2008, 04:06:02 PM »

Regarding the aiming, I think that you really have to get good at taking advantage of the auto aim (I am not). If your reticule is on a bad guy, the auto aim should lock on to him and then basically hitting left trigger and right trigger in close order should nail him. I've been able to pull this off better in the SP.

One switch they made in this game I don't like is the order in which you get attachments.  In COD4, 25 kills got you the red dot and you were good to go. Here, you get the silencer at 25 and the aperture at 75. I will say, though, that the iron sights on the beginning rifles are a whole lot easier to use than say, an M16 in COD4. Both the Thompson and MP40 are really easy to use without the aperture.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 24, 2008, 04:15:51 PM »

It's all personal preference, but here's a starting point for the weapons and perks in the earlier levels:

SMG Kit - For smaller maps or maps with lots of close quarters fighting
MP40 with silencer
1: Bomb Squad or Bouncing Betty
2: Camouflage
3: Extreme Conditioning

Rifle Kit - For medium to large maps
Gewehr or Garand
1: Bomb Squad or Bouncing Betty
2: Camouflage

Anti-Tank Kit - For tank maps
Any weapon you like but an MG (too slow)
Anti-Tank Sticky Grenade
1: Satchel Charges (or Bazooka if you have trouble with satchels)
2: Fireworks

Options for last two slots:

MG Kit
Non-scoped Bolt-Action Kit
Sniper Kit
Non-stealthed SMG or Rifle Kit for higher damage at range
Tweaks to other favored kits, like swapping Bomb Squad for Bouncing Betty or vice versa
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 24, 2008, 04:29:32 PM »

Wait a minute.  There is auto aim?  Is that on by default?  I see no "lock on" when I aim.

Thank you all very much for the information on the weapons.  This will seriously help me.  I think tonight I will spend a little time on setting up some custom groupings with the information from you guys.

By the way my son loves playing this.  He's currently level 49 I think.  If you ever want to send him an invite to play his Gamertag is ZGrunt.  He plays a lot more than I and enjoys it.  Just don't get freaked out by his avatar. Yes, he is 12 but he is mature and afterall he is the son of Starshifter!  nod  My brother is also a huge COD fan and plays it a lot.  His Gamertag is MongoZR.  Feel free to send them invites to play if you want.  Especially my brother.  He has only three friends on his list:  myself, my son and my daughter.

I will see you guys online.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 24, 2008, 04:35:32 PM »

You know, given my dislike of any sort of vehicle in a MP game, perhaps I should set up a specific kit for blowing up tanks.  I instead avoid them and lament not being able to do anything about their onslaught, but I may try the tank sticky-bun grenades and perhaps satchel charges or a bazooka. 

Can someone go over how satchel charges work?  Do you have to run right up to a tank to place them?  I've never used satchel charges (and I never tried C4 in COD4, either).  Perhaps the bazooka is a better way to go.

Damn, now I'm thinking about playing World at War tonight instead of watching Monday Night Football, but I may get hosed out of both as it may be the Dancing with the Stars Finale, and if so then my wife and Mitzi will want to watch.  No COD for me.   disgust

Although I may be able to play a little before the show.   

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 24, 2008, 04:44:04 PM »

How do you get hoooked up to that COD site so you have stats trackign? Is it automatic when you fire up the game a la halo?  Or...?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 24, 2008, 04:55:30 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 24, 2008, 04:44:04 PM

How do you get hoooked up to that COD site so you have stats trackign? Is it automatic when you fire up the game a la halo?  Or...?

Go to the barracks in-game.  Choose "web stats" or some such.  You'll be given a code to enter on the website.

Quote from: PeteRock on November 24, 2008, 04:35:32 PM

Can someone go over how satchel charges work?  Do you have to run right up to a tank to place them?  I've never used satchel charges (and I never tried C4 in COD4, either).  Perhaps the bazooka is a better way to go.
The bazookas are more straightforward, but it's easy to miss with them and they do much less damage than the satchels.  Plus, from they leave a lingering easy-to-see smoke trail pointing to your position.

To use a satchel, use the left trigger to toss and the right trigger to explode.  You can toss them about 10-15 feet, and they will stick to the tank.  If you can pre-lay the satchels and blow them when a tank drives over you can destroy it in one attack.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 05:36:58 PM by wonderpug » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 24, 2008, 05:03:19 PM »

Another useful tidbit about satchel charges is that you can place one or two of them and switch back to your gun.  Then if you double tap X (the reload button) you'll detonate the charges without having to have the plunger out.  This WILL make you actually reload to though, so use caution.

Everyone should definitely have a kit setup for killing tanks, it's your duty to the team! slywink

Make sure you use the sticky grenade and not the frag, and it's also important to use Fireworks so you can do enough damage to kill the tank.  I suggest Extreme Conditioning as the third perk so you can run to the tank and get away more easily.

With satchel charges and a sticky grenade along with Fireworks, one person can take out a tank as long as all your explosives hit the same area.  You can also throw a satchel charge on the ground and when the tank drives over it, you will one shot it.  However this method isn't as reliable since you can't control the tank's motions. 

With the whole team coordinating on controlling tank spawns, along with the whole team playing only anti-tank kits on vehicle maps, we should never lose a game on a vehicle map.  I don't really like using a submachine gun and much prefer my g-43, but I use the type 100 on my tank kit and play exclusively that kit on all vehicle maps.  In hardcore you can still kill at range with a submachine gun so it's not a terrible loss.  Tanks are just too important on those maps to ignore.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 24, 2008, 05:16:04 PM »

Hark, thanks for mentioning the Fireworks perk and hitting the same area. My anti-tank loadout has been the two shot Bazooka and a sticky grenade but I'm frustrated that usually it fails to stop the tank.

Really though, I wish they had stuck with COD4's concept and not included any vehicles. Or in Hardcore make the tank more vulnerable so that the team with one would feel the need to provide infantry support near it as it rolled around.

Optionally perhaps we could have a perk (there isn't one, is there?) of anti-tank mines. Two or three guys with a couple of those would really restrict the tank from cruising all over creation and whacking everyone.

Of the changes from COD4, the one that effects me most is that in COD4 my usual weapon of choice was the RPD LMG with red-dot sight. Really, it's a great all around weapon. Easy to aim, you can pop off one or two rounds and in Hardcore that's all you need at a time. And I almost never had to reload since the mag held enough for my usual lifespan in a round. In COD5 there is not equivalent sight and the mags seem to run out quicker, which is probably for the better. So now I have to compromise.

I do love the dogs! The attack helo in COD4 was hard to kill and made you an easy target. The dogs can give you points if you can funnel them as they approach your position and you can take them out with bettys.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 24, 2008, 05:28:45 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on November 24, 2008, 04:29:32 PM

Wait a minute.  There is auto aim?  Is that on by default?  I see no "lock on" when I aim.

It's on by default. Try and hide somewhere and just point your gun out so that someone runs across the crosshairs. You'll see the crosshairs drag along with the character model. Kind of hard to do that without getting killed, though. You should notice it at some point.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 24, 2008, 05:39:20 PM »

Was auto aim on by default in COD4?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 24, 2008, 05:45:14 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 24, 2008, 05:39:20 PM

Yup.

Oh, and I guess the correct term is "aim assist".
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 05:51:09 PM by Teggy » Logged

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 24, 2008, 05:52:39 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on November 24, 2008, 05:16:04 PM

Hark, thanks for mentioning the Fireworks perk and hitting the same area. My anti-tank loadout has been the two shot Bazooka and a sticky grenade but I'm frustrated that usually it fails to stop the tank.

Really though, I wish they had stuck with COD4's concept and not included any vehicles. Or in Hardcore make the tank more vulnerable so that the team with one would feel the need to provide infantry support near it as it rolled around.

Optionally perhaps we could have a perk (there isn't one, is there?) of anti-tank mines. Two or three guys with a couple of those would really restrict the tank from cruising all over creation and whacking everyone.

Of the changes from COD4, the one that effects me most is that in COD4 my usual weapon of choice was the RPD LMG with red-dot sight. Really, it's a great all around weapon. Easy to aim, you can pop off one or two rounds and in Hardcore that's all you need at a time. And I almost never had to reload since the mag held enough for my usual lifespan in a round. In COD5 there is not equivalent sight and the mags seem to run out quicker, which is probably for the better. So now I have to compromise.

I do love the dogs! The attack helo in COD4 was hard to kill and made you an easy target. The dogs can give you points if you can funnel them as they approach your position and you can take them out with bettys.

Once you drive tanks for awhile, or get good at destroying them, you'll realize that tanks are very fragile, even in hardcore mode.  I've been blown up literally seconds after getting in a fresh tank before.  The reason they seem so overpowered is due largely in part to the general populaces complete ineptitude/apathy in trying to take them out.  People routinely stand around shooting at players while a tank is within LOS = dead player.  People run up to the tank and shoot it with a gun = dead player.  People fire a bazooka then sit there where they fired it from (I can trace the smoke and AoE behind a wall to kill them) = dead player.  People get too close throwing satchel charges = dead player.  Most of those can be avoided.  It takes mere seconds to toss a sticky grenade, run up, hit left trigger twice, then right.  Tank is dead.  You can also throw the grenade last as the finisher instead of the opener.  I've played on maps before where the tanks are completely ineffective due to the other team knowing how to dispose of them quickly.

I love tanks in this game, however I do wish we could play a hardcore playlist without vehicle maps.  Seems that we play too often on them and it gets a bit boring compared to the other playstyle.  Knowing where tanks spawn and when means my team often has 3-4 of the tanks and the other team has 0-1 for most of the match.

Auto-aim is sometimes barely noticeable, but it's a pretty big thing.  The key is to use smooth movements when aiming.  Anything greater will override the auto-aim.  I also will suggest everyone up your sensitivity to 6-7 instead of the  default.  Even the 'high' setting is only 4 on a scale of 1-10.

I do HATE it when I'm about to shoot someone and the autoaim locks on to someone walking past them frown

edit:  I do what you mentioned when not in a tank btw.  If you follow near a tank you can get a lot of kills just by killing all the players who put on blinders whenever a tank comes and run straight at it or completely ignore you.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 24, 2008, 05:52:59 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 24, 2008, 05:45:14 PM

Yup.

Hmm. I wonder if I turned it off.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 24, 2008, 05:54:29 PM »

Switching gears for a moment - I thought it was interesting that there was no tutorial level in the SP. What difficulty level are people playing at? I forgot that, after my experience with COD4, I was planning on playing the next COD on normal, and I started the game up on hardened. The first section was really hard for a first level and I'm thinking I'm going to get my butt kicked if I try to keep going.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 24, 2008, 05:55:09 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 24, 2008, 05:52:59 PM

Quote from: Teggy on November 24, 2008, 05:45:14 PM

Yup.

Hmm. I wonder if I turned it off.
It can't be turned off.  The option to turn it off is for SP only, has no effect on MP.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 24, 2008, 05:56:32 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 24, 2008, 05:54:29 PM

Switching gears for a moment - I thought it was interesting that there was no tutorial level in the SP. What difficulty level are people playing at? I forgot that, after my experience with COD4, I was planning on playing the next COD on normal, and I started the game up on hardened. The first section was really hard for a first level and I'm thinking I'm going to get my butt kicked if I try to keep going.

Much like CoD4, I found the SP to be boring and frustrating from a gameplay standpoint so I just played through coop on regular and single on easy just to unlock nazi zombies.

Veteran is so hard and frustrating that it's more like a puzzle game than a shooter to me.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 24, 2008, 06:00:57 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 24, 2008, 05:56:32 PM

Quote from: Teggy on November 24, 2008, 05:54:29 PM

Much like CoD4, I found the SP to be boring and frustrating from a gameplay standpoint so I just played through coop on regular and single on easy just to unlock nazi zombies.

Veteran is so hard and frustrating that it's more like a puzzle game than a shooter to me.

I did one act in COD2 on veteran and that was enough to never try it again. There were times I just crawled around trying to find paths to the next checkpoint.

How does the co-op work? How long is it? Can you join randoms like in Gears?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: