http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 10:44:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of Duty World at War (360) impressions  (Read 37072 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 21, 2008, 04:48:29 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on November 21, 2008, 04:33:51 PM

*stuff*

I started playing with the crew at level 1 with no console shooter experience.  They have been more than kind enough to invite me when they see me on.  Despite my k/d ratios that have been similar to yours, they realize that I serve a valuable role:  bait.  You see, when the n00bs die, it gives the skilled players the info they need to avenge your death and get the easy kill for the enemy that you flushed.

Seriously, though, just don't TK Fuzz or Pete and you'll be fine.  If you do, take off your headset until halfway through the next match until they've found a new target.  biggrin

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 21, 2008, 04:53:38 PM »

I'm still too afraid to play with fellow GT'ers.  I prefer strangers. Why?  I would be absolutely no help to whatever team I am on.  A dead weight.  And I don't won't to ruin everyone's fun.

Shifty, don't be afraid.  Everyone's a real real good sport about things, and you definitely wouldn't be the only GTer who has trouble breaking even on the K/D ratio.  From what I know of you, Fuzz's cursing will probably shock your senses a little bit slywink but he mainly gets mad when he is doing poorly rather than the team.  Plus, you'll probably perform even better with the GT crew.  We warn each other about enemies sneaking up on us or enemies around the corner, we communicate overall enemy locations more than pub teams usually do, and with some of the top GT players on your team you'll have the recon radar up for more of the game and be on the dealing end of the hounds more often.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 21, 2008, 04:54:34 PM »

I got the game yesterday and would usually want to play SP first (as I did in COD4), but based on the opinions of SP I think I am going to go ahead and play some MP when I have the chance. I haven't played any MP in quite some time, but I look forward to being killed over and over while you guys rack up the kills.  slywink

LiveTAG: happydog
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 21, 2008, 05:07:33 PM »

I have an open offer to anyone with a k/d of less than 1.0 to tutor and train until you find a way to start averaging an even ratio. 

I might need someone else to help with the 'how not to die' part of the training though, since I only seem to have the 'how to kill a lot' part down. slywink  I might finish with 2-3x the kills of anyone on my team, but I often finish with 2x the deaths too.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 21, 2008, 05:12:08 PM »

I'd like to suggest we do an evening of private matches tonight.  Things will be more low-key, we can invite all the players new to the game and our group and there should generally be less stress.  I would suggest that all new players get to level 4 though so they can at least use the create-a-class ability.

We can learn maps, talk strategies and all that without the tension of permanent stats and venomous Live users.  I have no problem putting off getting my flamethrower a day or so to help out slywink

I'm also up for some zombie runs sometime, but as much fun as the mode is, there isn't a lot of variety to it so I generally can only go for one or two attempts at a time.  After seeing the cheat to do infinite zombies, the mode lost a bit of the flare to me since we can't compete with other teams legit.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 21, 2008, 06:13:35 PM »

I'm up for some private matches. Way too often I'm at the bottom of the leaderboard, even though I was decent to good in COD4.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 21, 2008, 06:14:21 PM »

Curse you, forum effect. I was going to wait for a trade on this one, but I went out during lunch today and...

Are there the same number of ranks in this one as in 4? Getting to the first 4 ranks in the previous version was pretty quick if you had played a little bit.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 21, 2008, 06:26:01 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 21, 2008, 06:14:21 PM

Curse you, forum effect. I was going to wait for a trade on this one, but I went out during lunch today and...

Are there the same number of ranks in this one as in 4? Getting to the first 4 ranks in the previous version was pretty quick if you had played a little bit.
I think there are more ranks in this one..65 vs. 55 in COD4.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: November 21, 2008, 06:42:30 PM »

http://www.callofduty.com/profile/896252/stats#/s=battlecareer

As you guys can see, I am wildly inconsistent. I love the game but I find it MUCH more difficult this go around. ANyone else think the MP in CoD:WaW is maybe a bit less forgiving when getting hit?

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 21, 2008, 06:49:18 PM »

Quote from: jblank on November 21, 2008, 06:42:30 PM

As you guys can see, I am wildly inconsistent. I love the game but I find it MUCH more difficult this go around. ANyone else think the MP in CoD:WaW is maybe a bit less forgiving when getting hit?
MUCH less forgiving

This is why I'm playing Hardcore pretty much exclusively whereas in CoD4 I only played Hardcore occasionally.  At least in CoD:WaW in Hardcore I feel like I have an equal chance of killing before I die.

I played a few rounds of CoD4 normal to compare and in CoD4 if you start taking fire you generally have time to react and run for cover and live.  In CoD:WaW by the time I know someone is shooting at me, I'm dead, even in normal mode.  Quite frustrating.  Stopping power/Juggernaut also seem far more useful/mandatory in CoD:WaW than they did in CoD4.  I used to be able to play a silenced, UAV jammer kit in normal mode and still feel effective.  In CoD:WaW I feel like I'm throwing spitballs on a wall with a silencer and no stopping power.  Might try the silenced WITH stopping power and see if it helps at all.

Overall though, the game is much more lethal in my opinion.

I'd like to see if we can keep a full room going most of the night tonight.  I'm also going to time the tank respawns at some point.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 21, 2008, 06:50:44 PM »

I'm still too afraid to play with fellow GT'ers.  I prefer strangers. Why?  I would be absolutely no help to whatever team I am on.  A dead weight.  And I don't won't to ruin everyone's fun.

I know when PeteRock reads that statement he thinks of me.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: November 21, 2008, 06:51:01 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 21, 2008, 05:12:08 PM

I'd like to suggest we do an evening of private matches tonight.  Things will be more low-key, we can invite all the players new to the game and our group and there should generally be less stress.  I would suggest that all new players get to level 4 though so they can at least use the create-a-class ability.

We can learn maps, talk strategies and all that without the tension of permanent stats and venomous Live users.  I have no problem putting off getting my flamethrower a day or so to help out slywink

I'm also up for some zombie runs sometime, but as much fun as the mode is, there isn't a lot of variety to it so I generally can only go for one or two attempts at a time.  After seeing the cheat to do infinite zombies, the mode lost a bit of the flare to me since we can't compete with other teams legit.

Sounds fun to me. I will definitely be on.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 21, 2008, 06:52:17 PM »

For reference, here's my profile.  Anyone on callofduty.com, feel free to add me as a friend.

http://www.callofduty.com/profile/1381541/stats#/s=battlecareer

Some of the stats are pretty wonky though, especially the weapon specific things.  

I do like the ability to check where on a map you died though.  This helps figure out high traffic areas that you should be able to shoot at, but not visit yourself slywink
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: November 21, 2008, 06:53:03 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 21, 2008, 06:49:18 PM

Quote from: jblank on November 21, 2008, 06:42:30 PM

MUCH less forgiving

This is why I'm playing Hardcore pretty much exclusively whereas in CoD4 I only played Hardcore occasionally.  At least in CoD:WaW in Hardcore I feel like I have an equal chance of killing before I die.

I played a few rounds of CoD4 normal to compare and in CoD4 if you start taking fire you generally have time to react and run for cover and live.  In CoD:WaW by the time I know someone is shooting at me, I'm dead, even in normal mode.  Quite frustrating.  Stopping power/Juggernaut also seem far more useful/mandatory in CoD:WaW than they did in CoD4.  I used to be able to play a silenced, UAV jammer kit in normal mode and still feel effective.  In CoD:WaW I feel like I'm throwing spitballs on a wall with a silencer and no stopping power.  Might try the silenced WITH stopping power and see if it helps at all.

Overall though, the game is much more lethal in my opinion.

I'd like to see if we can keep a full room going most of the night tonight.  I'm also going to time the tank respawns at some point.

I don't think you're on my friends list, but please, by all means, add me and shoot me an invite tonight. I will definitely play.

Thanks for the advice.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 21, 2008, 07:20:16 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 21, 2008, 06:52:17 PM

For reference, here's my profile.  Anyone on callofduty.com, feel free to add me as a friend.

http://www.callofduty.com/profile/1381541/stats#/s=battlecareer

Some of the stats are pretty wonky though, especially the weapon specific things.  

I do like the ability to check where on a map you died though.  This helps figure out high traffic areas that you should be able to shoot at, but not visit yourself slywink

They really took Halo 3's heatmaps to the next level - you can see where people died for any given minute during the match.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 21, 2008, 07:52:52 PM »

Wow, that's going to be helpful...  Proving that once again, Harkonis is my master now.   bowdown

My first match...

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 21, 2008, 07:57:35 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on November 21, 2008, 06:50:44 PM

I know when PeteRock reads that statement he thinks of me.

icon_confused

Usually I find our banter to be quite entertaining.  Typically because I'll get a "how'd you like that PeteRock" as I'm mercilessly hunted by jztemple.  My corpse must spray pixie dust or drop free Lucky Charms marshmallows on the battlefield because people seem to get a little too much pleasure out of killing the fabulous one.  Do you get bonus wardrobe options or new makeup or hair choices when earning PeteRock kills?  I can't think of any other reason why people would be so anxious to kill me.   ninja 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 21, 2008, 08:00:14 PM »

You're the closest thing we have to a celebrity around here.  The mere honor of playing with you is one to be savored.  And if we get to shoot you in the head, it's like getting to shake the hand of Will Smith ... with bullets...  nod

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 21, 2008, 08:03:31 PM »

Hark, I've found that I've been able to run away from being killed on quite the regular basis, even on Hardcore.

If they hit me once with anything other than a bolt action rifle, and miss with the rest, I can get away.

Maybe you just have bad luck?   icon_twisted

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 21, 2008, 08:04:01 PM »

None of the GTers I'm friends with ever seem to be playing.  i'll be on tonight, so whoever is leading things please drop an invite to aliebling.  I made 9th level, so no more bootcamp for me.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 21, 2008, 08:12:11 PM »

Here's a quick version of each map with some labels for references.

Red circles/lines denote places to look out for enemies or places for you to setup shop.

Green circles are tank spawns.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 21, 2008, 08:15:32 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on November 21, 2008, 08:03:31 PM

Hark, I've found that I've been able to run away from being killed on quite the regular basis, even on Hardcore.

If they hit me once with anything other than a bolt action rifle, and miss with the rest, I can get away.

I wouldn't go so far as to say you're lying (that would just be rude...) but I can tell you that even using a semi-auto rifle with silencer from all the way across the map, I can kill people in one non-headshot in hardcore.  I think if you're running away, it's because they didn't actually hit you.  With a full auto weapon at anything other than long range, it's still one round to kill.  I can hit fire and just sweep my crosshairs rapidly past someone and they die.  In normal, I'd agree that it takes more than one shot, but usually the second shot is already on the way before you can move.  In hardcore, I find it very hard to beleive that you can survive getting hit more than on freak occurances.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 21, 2008, 08:16:24 PM »

So you were lying when you said you had to go back to work, weren't you.   icon_wink

The maps are greatly appreciated.  Your input may very well help in alleviating some of my frustration and perhaps even aid in improving my game.  Man, what happened to the days of just picking up a game and playing just for fun?  Now you have to dedicate time, effort, practice, and research in order to even think about doing well.   icon_eek

Real war can't even take this much work.   icon_wink

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 21, 2008, 08:18:09 PM »

And here's a link to what I have to consider my best round so far.

http://www.callofduty.com/profile/1381541/stats#/s=matches/2/3834194
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 21, 2008, 08:18:46 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 21, 2008, 08:16:24 PM

So you were lying when you said you had to go back to work, weren't you.   icon_wink

The maps are greatly appreciated.  Your input may very well help in alleviating some of my frustration and perhaps even aid in improving my game.  Man, what happened to the days of just picking up a game and playing just for fun?  Now you have to dedicate time, effort, practice, and research in order to even think about doing well.   icon_eek

Real war can't even take this much work.   icon_wink
heh, I just got home from work and threw those together thanks to the links wonderpug left.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 21, 2008, 08:26:13 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 21, 2008, 08:15:32 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say you're lying (that would just be rude...) but I can tell you that even using a semi-auto rifle with silencer from all the way across the map, I can kill people in one non-headshot in hardcore.  I think if you're running away, it's because they didn't actually hit you.  With a full auto weapon at anything other than long range, it's still one round to kill.  I can hit fire and just sweep my crosshairs rapidly past someone and they die.  In normal, I'd agree that it takes more than one shot, but usually the second shot is already on the way before you can move.  In hardcore, I find it very hard to beleive that you can survive getting hit more than on freak occurances.

But I've been hit during our hardcore games and sometimes my screen turns red to show where I'm being shot from and I'm able to pull back before being killed.  There have been many instances when that has happened so I, too, have been able to escape random bullets from time to time.  It isn't terribly often, but I have seen my screen turn red, pulled back to wait for my health to restore, and then run back out again only to be completely killed the next time.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 21, 2008, 08:26:46 PM »

So...is the lesson always vote down Dome?

Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 21, 2008, 08:30:47 PM »

I'd LOVE to get in on some GT games as well, if there's room.  Isgrimnur's on my friends list so I'll shoot invites to others I see him Partying with but anyone feel free to send me an invite: JNacht on Live.  Usually not on until 8pm CT or so though, gotta get the kids in bed before I fire up the war games. 

I'm about level 15 in WaW and weirdly, I find myself doing better than I ever did in CoD4.  I was pretty consistently a 5K/15D player in CoD4, with an occasional match where I managed to find some mojo and go 15-3 or something.  In WaW I still have bad matches but I find myself higher up in the scoreboards than I used to. 

I'm guessing you guys would be happy to help bring me back down.  icon_wink

XBox Live:  JNacht
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 21, 2008, 08:38:38 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 21, 2008, 08:26:13 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on November 21, 2008, 08:15:32 PM

But I've been hit during our hardcore games and sometimes my screen turns red to show where I'm being shot from and I'm able to pull back before being killed.  There have been many instances when that has happened so I, too, have been able to escape random bullets from time to time.  It isn't terribly often, but I have seen my screen turn red, pulled back to wait for my health to restore, and then run back out again only to be completely killed the next time.

I'm not saying you can't survive a shot in hardcore, there are always circumstances that allow it.  Splash damage, the shot went through a wall, railing or barrier before it hit you, it's from one of a handful of guns that take 5+ shots to kill (ppsh is one of them), or you got hit in the hands or feet are all ways you can survive and have the screen change color.  It's just that more often than not, by the time you know you are getting hit, you are probably dead.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 21, 2008, 08:39:22 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 21, 2008, 08:26:46 PM

So...is the lesson always vote down Dome?

heh, you picked up on that?  Was I too transparent?

that is indeed the lesson.  Never vote for another map, you may get stuck with Dome.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: November 21, 2008, 08:40:16 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 21, 2008, 08:38:38 PM

I'm not saying you can't survive a shot in hardcore, there are always circumstances that allow it.  Splash damage, the shot went through a wall, railing or barrier before it hit you, it's from one of a handful of guns that take 5+ shots to kill (ppsh is one of them), or you got hit in the hands or feet are all ways you can survive and have the screen change color.  It's just that more often than not, by the time you know you are getting hit, you are probably dead.

Headshots do less damage on me as well due to the amount of hair product which acts as a protective barrier.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 21, 2008, 08:43:19 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 21, 2008, 08:40:16 PM

Headshots do less damage on me as well due to the amount of hair product which acts as a protective barrier.

The bullets also slow down to admire you, giving you extra time to dodge.  Unfortunately, as you are also admiring yourself in the reflection on your bayonet, this time advantage is negated. slywink
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 21, 2008, 09:04:12 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 21, 2008, 08:43:19 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 21, 2008, 08:40:16 PM

The bullets also slow down to admire you, giving you extra time to dodge.  Unfortunately, as you are also admiring yourself in the reflection on your bayonet, this time advantage is negated. slywink

icon_lol

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 21, 2008, 09:08:36 PM »

Check the multiplayer thread for an update on events tonight and this weekend.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 21, 2008, 09:11:48 PM »

Your Dome map suggestions are hilarious, Hark.

I will say that the map is fantastic for free-for-all, though.

And yes, the vast majority of the time in hardcore, you get shot, you get dead.  But sometimes you can get lucky.  Even running across the larger maps like Cliffside, I've been hit, and can still get away.  I think Hellspawn commented on it once.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 21, 2008, 09:14:42 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on November 21, 2008, 09:11:48 PM

And yes, the vast majority of the time in hardcore, you get shot, you get dead.  But sometimes you can get lucky.  Even running across the larger maps like Cliffside, I've been hit, and can still get away.  I think Hellspawn commented on it once.

We must use the same haircare products.  Fabulous

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 21, 2008, 09:21:09 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 21, 2008, 03:23:28 PM

Last piece of advice for right now is that when you find someone, don't take too long lining up your shot before you fire.  I spectated quite a lot last night (I died way too much) and noticed that most of the times that friends were sneaking up on someone, they would take too long to line up the shot and the enemy would be gone or spot them before they fired.  I usually hit both LT and RT at about the same time when using an automatic weapon.  Worry about lining up the shot after the bullets are coming out the end slywink

I tend to wind up doing a Looney Tunes-style outline of people.  I think it's just going to take me some more time to get the fine control down to get a sweeping burst off.  But I'll start trying that.  Just make sure you come get me after I get booted for TKs.  biggrin

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 21, 2008, 09:29:53 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 21, 2008, 09:14:42 PM

We must use the same haircare products.  Fabulous

I use no haircare products.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 21, 2008, 09:32:18 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on November 21, 2008, 09:29:53 PM

We must use the same haircare products.  <<emoticon removed due to lack of fabulousness>>

Then you must not truly care about your hair.  Unrefined heathen.  Your Fabulous has been rescinded.   disgust

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 21, 2008, 10:30:37 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 21, 2008, 09:32:18 PM

Quote from: pr0ner on November 21, 2008, 09:29:53 PM

We must use the same haircare products.  <<emoticon removed due to lack of fabulousness>>

Then you must not truly care about your hair.  Unrefined heathen.  Your Fabulous has been rescinded.   disgust

At least I still have my man card.  Which is more than I can say about you, Mr. Fabulous.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: