http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 03:53:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call of Duty World at War (360) impressions  (Read 37581 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 13, 2008, 01:59:34 PM »

Hell, I have to get this game, if only for the simple fact that I used to own a Garand rifle when I was in the army myself...

Does it have the very nice tell-tale included as the real-life one, when you'r out of ammo and the ammo casing springs out with a loud ZIIIING, announcing CLEARLY to any enemies, that you'r fresh out of ammo? :-D

A new one
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 13, 2008, 02:16:51 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 13, 2008, 01:59:34 PM

Does it have the very nice tell-tale included as the real-life one, when you'r out of ammo and the ammo casing springs out with a loud ZIIIING, announcing CLEARLY to any enemies, that you'r fresh out of ammo? :-D

They do have the distinctive PING!, but it doesn't seem quite as loud as in other WWII games.

They let you reload it mid-clip, too, but it takes significantly longer than reloading empty.  Different animation for it, too.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 13, 2008, 02:19:05 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 13, 2008, 02:16:51 PM

Quote from: Razgon on November 13, 2008, 01:59:34 PM

They do have the distinctive PING!, but it doesn't seem quite as loud as in other WWII games.

They let you reload it mid-clip, too, but it takes significantly longer than reloading empty.  Different animation for it, too.

heh, thats nice! its a great gun for reliability, but I hated the reloading of it :-D

anyways - thanks for the heads up, this sounds fun. I've been craving me some Battlefield fun, but fear the old battlefield servers are empty. This seems like the next thing for me

A new one
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: November 13, 2008, 03:03:55 PM »

Anyone else having some confusion over the M1A1 Gamestop Activation Code? I put it in, but it's not showing up as a selectable gun in my kit. I googled it but didn't see anyone discussing the issue. Any ideas guys?

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2008, 03:08:56 PM »

Quote from: jblank on November 13, 2008, 03:03:55 PM

Anyone else having some confusion over the M1A1 Gamestop Activation Code? I put it in, but it's not showing up as a selectable gun in my kit. I googled it but didn't see anyone discussing the issue. Any ideas guys?

I believe you'll only find it in the preset kits, not as a choice in custom class.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2008, 03:16:06 PM »

Oh. Hmm, well, in that case, I don't think I am going to use it until I unlock it for good then. Thanks for the info Wonderpug, I was confused. smile

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2008, 03:35:29 PM »

Woohoo, my copy should be here tomorrow!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2008, 03:59:07 PM »

I need some tips from the CoD4 vets.

Stick with default button layout or modify it?  (Or can you modify it?)  It seems like it would be advantageous to be able to move the crouch/prone button somewhere that doesn't take your thumbs off the analog sticks so you can adjust your aim while you hit the deck.

How high do I want to tweak the analog stick sensitivity?  It looks like on the freeform setting scale even the 'high' preset is pretty far from the highest it can go.  I know it's largely a personal preference but I'm curious if there's a general standard amongst the high rollers.  Seems like if you go too high you lose the ability to do pixel hunt sniping.

Spawn points, or their confusing abundancy.  I think this is probably the biggest reason I'm not getting as high on the charts in CoD4&5 as I often can in Battlefield:BC and in PC shooters like CS, DoD, and TF2--I can't figure out where people are coming from.  In all those other games you generally know where the bulk of the enemy is going to be coming from.  In CoD4&5 I feel like I have to watch every direction at once.  I'll pull up the overview map spend a minute  cautiously approaching what looked to be the most likely spot for enemies only to have the UAV come up and tell me I'm nowhere near them.  With the constantly changing spawn points how do you know where to go for the fight?

Left trigger aiming.  I see an someone running left to right that I want to shoot.  Do I use LT to bring up the iron sights and then track him to position my shot, or do I track him first without the left trigger and only bring up the iron sights when I'm just about to take the shot?  The former seems to slow the aim movement too much for fast targets, but the if I do the latter it feels like the enemy will beat me to the first shot.

Frag grenade vs. molotov  This one's just for CoD5.  My first impression is that the molotov is a better frag grenade in every way except for being slower to throw.  Is that about right?
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2008, 04:09:25 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 13, 2008, 01:49:04 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on November 13, 2008, 12:56:09 AM

I hate you guys and the forum effect.

about the only thing that looks really appealing is the Zombie mode, and Left 4 Dead is due next week, so GT Forum Effect FAILS!

After having played a little of the demo, I wasn't at all impressed with Left4Dead and will probably opt out of that one since I can get some zombie killing action in with COD5.  The graphics didn't quite impress me, the gameplay was faster and jerkier than I had expected (zombies don't run, regardless of what they may be able to do in more modern films, and WTF is with the ginormous monsters?  This isn't Resident Evil.), and it just seemed a little to cartoonish and unmotivating.  COD5 zombies for me.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2008, 04:15:40 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on November 13, 2008, 01:52:32 PM

I unlocked the bipod for the Russian LMG last night. Is it me or is it pretty worthless? You have to go prone to use it, it takes several seconds to deploy, *and* your covered arc is reduced. And it's the only unlock for accumulated kills on the gun (I don't know what completing the head shot challenge would give me).

Bipod can also be deployed while standing or crouching if you find a nice ledge.  With as many attack routes each map has, I recind my comment on how nice the bipod is.  It's very VERY situational.

Just a little hiccup.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2008, 04:21:06 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 13, 2008, 04:09:25 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 13, 2008, 01:49:04 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on November 13, 2008, 12:56:09 AM

I hate you guys and the forum effect.

about the only thing that looks really appealing is the Zombie mode, and Left 4 Dead is due next week, so GT Forum Effect FAILS!

After having played a little of the demo, I wasn't at all impressed with Left4Dead and will probably opt out of that one since I can get some zombie killing action in with COD5.  The graphics didn't quite impress me, the gameplay was faster and jerkier than I had expected (zombies don't run, regardless of what they may be able to do in more modern films, and WTF is with the ginormous monsters?  This isn't Resident Evil.), and it just seemed a little to cartoonish and unmotivating.  COD5 zombies for me.

Add me to the list of people who weren't blown away by left for dead. I'm thinking I'll cancel my preorder. I'll give it one more go tonight in the Demo.  It was fun but no OMG.

However, with COD5 it sounds like all the problems of all the previous CODs are still in place...namely the uber enemy AI and the non-uber squad AI.  So I'm not sold on it either...
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2008, 04:24:31 PM »

If anyone's still on the fence, this GWJ writeup of the highs and lows of the game is pretty spot-on.  The whole post is gravy, but here's his executive summary:

Quote from: Mr. Crinkle
CoD5 multiplayer is better than CoD4. No M-16, better game modes, superior map design, less spamminess, and overall better weapon balancing makes this the more refined experience. If you only play single player, CoD4 is far superior. If you enjoy co-op or adversarial MP, this game is great.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2008, 04:26:50 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 13, 2008, 04:21:06 PM

Add me to the list of people who weren't blown away by left for dead. I'm thinking I'll cancel my preorder. I'll give it one more go tonight in the Demo.  It was fun but no OMG.

I didn't even really find it to be much fun.  I wasn't fond of the controls, and in a game like that I need to feel compelled, but it instead felt like a FPS version of Hunter: The Reckoning which didn't take long for me to become bored with.

Fortunately a copy of COD5 should be arriving over the next few days and I can't wait to get back into the action with everyone.  I owe thanks to yet another GTer for their generosity and irrepressable need to kill PeteRock in an FPS.  I'm just going to have to figure out when the hell I'm going to play anything.  Do I play COD5?  Gears of War 2?  Fallout 3?  Force Unleashed?  Mass Effect?  Bioshock?  The Godfather?  Half Life 2?  The Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion?  

This weekend we have no parties scheduled, no house guests, no plans, no out-of-town trips, no projects, absolutely nothing.  I am going to game my F-ing brains out.  

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 13, 2008, 04:27:54 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 13, 2008, 03:59:07 PM

I need some tips from the CoD4 vets.

Stick with default button layout or modify it?  (Or can you modify it?)  It seems like it would be advantageous to be able to move the crouch/prone button somewhere that doesn't take your thumbs off the analog sticks so you can adjust your aim while you hit the deck.

Default for me

How high do I want to tweak the analog stick sensitivity?  It looks like on the freeform setting scale even the 'high' preset is pretty far from the highest it can go.  I know it's largely a personal preference but I'm curious if there's a general standard amongst the high rollers.  Seems like if you go too high you lose the ability to do pixel hunt sniping.

I play on 7

Spawn points, or their confusing abundancy.  I think this is probably the biggest reason I'm not getting as high on the charts in CoD4&5 as I often can in Battlefield:BC and in PC shooters like CS, DoD, and TF2--I can't figure out where people are coming from.  In all those other games you generally know where the bulk of the enemy is going to be coming from.  In CoD4&5 I feel like I have to watch every direction at once.  I'll pull up the overview map spend a minute  cautiously approaching what looked to be the most likely spot for enemies only to have the UAV come up and tell me I'm nowhere near them.  With the constantly changing spawn points how do you know where to go for the fight?

Knowing the maps and keeping up with the flow of the battle on any given round are a fairly large part of the 'skill' involved in this game.  Means more actually than twitch skills imo.

Left trigger aiming.  I see an someone running left to right that I want to shoot.  Do I use LT to bring up the iron sights and then track him to position my shot, or do I track him first without the left trigger and only bring up the iron sights when I'm just about to take the shot?  The former seems to slow the aim movement too much for fast targets, but the if I do the latter it feels like the enemy will beat me to the first shot.

When you see someone running left to right and you're using a full auto weapon, hold RT followed immediately by LT as you track them. 

Frag grenade vs. molotov  This one's just for CoD5.  My first impression is that the molotov is a better frag grenade in every way except for being slower to throw.  Is that about right?

That is about right, because of the extra windup time they are kinda hard to use.  good thing is that you can leave one 'primed' and not have to worry about it going off in your hand

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 13, 2008, 04:30:59 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 13, 2008, 04:26:50 PM

This weekend we have no parties scheduled, no house guests, no plans, no out-of-town trips, no projects, absolutely nothing.  I am going to CoD5 my F-ing brains out.  

Fixed that for you slywink
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 13, 2008, 04:35:47 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 13, 2008, 04:30:59 PM

This weekend we have no parties scheduled, no house guests, no plans, no out-of-town trips, no projects, absolutely nothing.  I am going to CoD5 my F-ing brains out.  

But in order to feel at least some justification for my inability to keep from buying new games I need to actually play them from time to time.  I put in an hour or two with Fallout 3 on release day and haven't touched it since.  And I've only had Gears 2 for a week and have played only two nights of MP and only one night of versus MP.  Plus, how long do you honestly think it will take for me to switch to another game following the "Your Bitch-Ass Was Gunned Down AGAIN By Harkonis, Why Don't You Shoot Back You Silly Pansy" message popping up on screen for the 97th time?   icon_wink 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 13, 2008, 04:37:59 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 13, 2008, 04:35:47 PM

But in order to feel at least some justification for my inability to keep from buying new games I need to actually play them from time to time.  I put in an hour or two with Fallout 3 on release day and haven't touched it since.  And I've only had Gears 2 for a week and have played only two nights of MP and only one night of versus MP.  Plus, how long do you honestly think it will take for me to switch to another game following the "Your Bitch-Ass Was Gunned Down AGAIN By Harkonis, Why Don't You Shoot Back You Silly Pansy" message popping up on screen for the 97th time?   icon_wink 

Oh Pete, let me tell you sir...after playing a few rounds of COD5, and knowing your disposition with MP games....you are in for one hell of a swear fest.  I don't want to miss it.  I have company on Saturday night so make it happen tonight or Friday biggrin
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 13, 2008, 04:39:29 PM »

There will be plenty of time in/around the holidays for Fallout 3 when everyone else is filling family obligations.  I will be off-line game-wise from Wednesday (travel) until probably the following Monday after work.  

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 13, 2008, 04:41:10 PM »

COD5 nazi zombie mode is fun but I see it as a diversion and not having any kind of longevity.  You are only on one small map, you are fighting what appears to be the exact same zombie model (except they get more hitpoints and faster).  I haven't played Left 4 Dead, but I would expect it to have a lot more variety.  I'm no zombie nazi, I don't give a shit if zombies run fast as long as it's balanced for gameplay.

Played COD5 SP a bit and it feels like COD4 but not as dramatic (still early though).  Don't think the AI is broken, that's how all COD games have been.  Your squad are fodder or bait and you have to do most of the work and trigger advances while enemies respawn.  This is nothing new, if you didn't like it before then you won't like it now but some people are fine with this design approach.  I wasn't expecting for COD to suddenly become Rainbow 6 or Operation Flashpoint so I am not disappointed.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 13, 2008, 04:48:22 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 13, 2008, 04:37:59 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 13, 2008, 04:35:47 PM

Oh Pete, let me tell you sir...after playing a few rounds of COD5, and knowing your disposition with MP games....you are in for one hell of a swear fest.  I don't want to miss it.  I have company on Saturday night so make it happen tonight or Friday biggrin

I'm notorious for swearing in MP games.  I actually kind of swear a lot in general (Kato and Harkonis have experienced this first-hand).  But my lamantations pale in comparison to Fuzzball's occasional epic outbursts.  Not to say that I mind them (they're actually ridiculously entertaining), but it has been said that my outbursts aren't quite as......colorful.  Usually if I'm in rare form I'll just mute my mic.  There's no reason why the rest of the population should be subjected to my juvenile and immature use of profanity to express frustration, and I sometimes feel a little self-conscious about how immature I may be perceived to be.  I would hope that those who really can't stomach it or have a problem with me would make it known as I don't work too terribly hard at censoring myself (then I wouldn't exactly be "me" if I did, and I like to think that you either like me or you don't and if you don't, so be it).  Swearing and making fun of myself with colorful profanity is just part of my personality (the whole "I'm not an asshole, I'm just from Philly), so hopefully it isn't taken too seriously and it serves as a source of entertainment rather than irritation.  

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2008, 04:56:58 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 13, 2008, 03:59:07 PM

Sorry Pug, I'm not the seasoned online veteran you're looking for a response from. I've only played the SP, but I totally agree that the crouch being mapped to the 'b' button is less than optimal. Despite having gotten fairly adapt at it during the campaign I can't say I like it much at all. I also don't like any quick response actions being mapped to the r-stick press as my hands are fairly large and I find that button awkward. I thought about swapping the stab and crouch buttons, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get to the 'b' fast enough; those banzais are awfully quick. Tonight I think I'm going to go with stab to 'a', crouch to 'R-stick' and jump to 'b'.

I hope 1 of the seasoned vets here responds to your queries, because I'm interested to here their feedback too.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »

Quote from: Hiccup on November 13, 2008, 01:16:42 PM

Quote from: kronovan on November 13, 2008, 08:26:05 AM

A question I have to anyone who's far into the game:
On the main menu when I access Cooperative > Split-Screen > Settings > Game Modes, there's 2 game modes listed - 'Campaign Co-op' and 'Locked'. Does anyone know what the locked co-op mode is?

That would be Zombie mode.  Hearing it's very fun.

Damn...Zombie mode is available for split-screen too...that's awesome! I can't believe the amount of mplay modes that are available for this game in split-screen. When I checked last night there was 7 mplay VS modes and 8 maps. In fact the only mode that appears to be absent is War which makes sense because...well...you can't really fight a war with 2 peeps on either side. smile Didn't think I'd see another game that came close to SW:BF 2's split-screen options, but this game is pretty damn close.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 05:16:24 PM by kronovan » Logged
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2008, 05:17:58 PM »

I just need to find someone local to play with (no offense to you, Knightshade, but by the time you go through customs while crossing the Canadian border into the states it's tough to play a quick impromtu game of co-op due to our distance from one another).  Back east I was never lacking for a partner and on any given day there was someone at our house ready to play videogames.  Other than Knightshade and his wife, who live a fair distance away, and Moliere, who also lives almost an hour away, I don't really have anyone nearby, either in my neighborhood or within a short drive, to play co-op games like COD5, Gears of War 2, Halo 3, etc.  And when playing online it's way more fun to organize a big MP event then to limit ourselves to just two-player or 4-player co-op.  And so I rarely, if ever, get to experience co-op game modes.  I played a bit of the original Gears of War co-operatively, but never for more than short bursts before being distracted by another game or pulled into a MP game.  I find I struggle with taking time specifically to play co-op. 

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 13, 2008, 05:20:22 PM »

Pete, I just read that CoD5 multiplayer is good for preventing the appearance of wrinkles on the face.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2008, 05:30:40 PM »

I haven't felt the need to remap "B" because I long ago got into habit of moving either in crouch or sprinting. So I click down on the left stick and start running and the moment I reach where I'm sprinting, or my sprint runs out, I mash "B" and crouch, either still moving or standing still. I'm a crappy shot so crouching gives me some advantage, not to mention possibly getting me out of sight behind a low wall.

Which reminds me, I'm really taken with the new maps, except for Dome. There always seems to be some concealment or cover around so it's worth the trouble to sprint and watch, sprint and watch.

I'm also pretty happy now with the spawning, except again for Dome. Two things seem to stick out in my mind. One is that it seems that usually I spawn near where I died, so it's fun to run back to the fight. Also it seems that compared to COD4 I spawn near my buddies and they spawn near me, which helps to encourage team tactics.

Frag grenade is definitely better against infantry since as noted it's faster to deploy. I think the molotov is useful against tanks, but after getting my ass repeatedly kicked when trying to use satchel charges, I'm sticking with my trusty bazooka in my loadout for maps with tanks. BTW, I noted in my brief time in Hardcore that tanks are also just as fragile. In non-Hardcore I never seem to be able to take out a tank with my loadout of two bazooka rounds.

Another anti-tank option is the sticky grenade, but for the reasons mentioned above about molotovs and satchel charges I stopped using them after a short while. They do have one endearing feature... I had one thrown at me and it stuck to my face; it was dead center in the middle of my field of vision for a couple of seconds before it explored. Really weird.

For the guy who was asking about bolt action rifles, I can tell you after some time in Hardcore that it's the mode you want if you wish to try them out. On a big map like Airfield you could easily get single shot kills. IMHO the sniper scope in COD5 is just as restrictive regarding situational awareness as it was in COD4, but with iron sights or even better the optical aperture sight (I'm assuming the rifles get these) you should find even a bolt action rifle a good compromise option, as long as you don't mind camping a bit.

Another weapon that's probably better on Hardcore is that Russian LMG. It's hard to keep it on target in full auto, so I'd rather be able to get a kill on the first round or two.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 13, 2008, 05:36:57 PM »

Overhead maps of all the multiplayer levels.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 13, 2008, 05:40:17 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 13, 2008, 04:24:31 PM

If anyone's still on the fence, this GWJ writeup of the highs and lows of the game is pretty spot-on. 

Successive prestige ranks grant you additional custom classes, which is kinda cool. Gives you a reason to loop through again

I'm a little confused about this. You mean it unlocks additional custom class slots? I don't know that I'd be thrilled with going back through all the levels so I can have more than the default five custom classes. Are there any other benefits to prestige?

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2008, 05:40:59 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on November 13, 2008, 05:40:17 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on November 13, 2008, 04:24:31 PM

If anyone's still on the fence, this GWJ writeup of the highs and lows of the game is pretty spot-on. 

Successive prestige ranks grant you additional custom classes, which is kinda cool. Gives you a reason to loop through again

I'm a little confused about this. You mean it unlocks additional custom class slots? I don't know that I'd be thrilled with going back through all the levels so I can have more than the default five custom classes. Are there any other benefits to prestige?

That's all Roscoe...just more slots to make classes with. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 13, 2008, 05:44:48 PM »

AFAIK there wasn't any benefit at all to prestige ranks in CoD4 aside from bragging rights and the boost to a sense of progression.  The extra character slots seem like a great way to give a tangible reward to the die-hards without giving them an unbalancing advantage.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 13, 2008, 05:45:16 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 13, 2008, 05:40:59 PM

That's all Roscoe...just more slots to make classes with. 

I did prestige once in COD4 and while I was "climbing the ladder" the second time I kept telling myself I'd never do that again  icon_frown

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2008, 06:02:45 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 13, 2008, 05:17:58 PM

I just need to find someone local to play with (no offense to you, Knightshade, but by the time you go through customs while crossing the Canadian border into the states it's tough to play a quick impromtu game of co-op due to our distance from one another). 

LOL I think you confused my name with KD's there Pete, unless he's recently emigrated to the great white north. smile I have a group of friends that all enjoy offline mplay. Our shared play experiences go back to the dark ages of LAN gaming with Network Snipes on Novell LAN's during the late 80's - early 90' . We were all pretty much into the LAN party thing in the 90's which kept our social network going. When consoles became networkable our play migrated that way. Our older kids our now playing 2 so it's sort of into it's 2nd gen now. 2 of my buddies recently bought very portable LCD's just so we can easily system link at one anothers homes and of course wireless routers have made it a breeze to do. And tomorrow...we'll be LAN'ing it with COD:W@W!

I think something that's kept us LAN gaming instead of going online is personalities. Out of our group, only 2 other friends and myself have really played online and for us that's mostly been flight sims. Some of my friends tend towards introverted personalities and they just shy away from the whole bravado and trash talk of online play. I personally find it more enjoyable to play in a room, or rooms,with friends then online. It's also easier to break away from the play in that type of environment and do other things; i.e it's not uncommon for sessions to end in board gaming.

Offline mplay in a game is very important to me because without it's useless to our social gatherings. Most Live enabled have system link, but sometimes there isn't enough people at a gathering to justify the effort of hook ups and plug ins.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 08:07:14 PM by kronovan » Logged
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2008, 06:12:14 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 13, 2008, 06:02:45 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 13, 2008, 05:17:58 PM

I just need to find someone local to play with (no offense to you, Knightshade, but by the time you go through customs while crossing the Canadian border into the states it's tough to play a quick impromtu game of co-op due to our distance from one another). 

LOL I think you confused my name with KD's there Pete, unless he's recently emigrated to the great white north. smile

Actually, my response wasn't exactly meant to be to you directly, but just to address local MP.  The "no offense to you, Knightshade" comment was merely to address the liklihood of Ron reading this thread and thinking, "Hey, what am I, chopped liver?"  Knightshade and his wife get together with us for gaming nights pretty regularly, and I give him a hard time about living in north north north north Phoenix.  He's so far north of Phoenix that I jokingly say he's from Canada.  Obviously he's not that far north, but still far enough to make impromptu get-togethers a little more difficult due to customs ( icon_wink ).

It would kick all kinds of ass if he lived closer so that on any given moment we could meet in one of our living rooms and game our hearts out together.  But we would have to plan a co-op gaming day in order to actually make it happen as we're about an hour apart.  And it's silly for him to come by himself when he and his wife and Jaime and I all have such a great time together, but it would suck to monopolize the TV while Jaime and Laura are left by the wayside.  Back in Philly we had local friends who could be at our place in moments for co-op or local MP versus matches at the drop of a hat.  We just don't have that luxury anymore here in Phoenix. 

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2008, 06:39:05 PM »

Yeah I hear you Pete about the time and effort. I've done consulting gigs in the Phoenix area twice and I've been amazed at the size of the place. Vancouver is a bit more compact, but still with the pop pushing 2.5 million the distance between friends homes has increased. We usually just plan to get together every 2nd Friday now and for the most part everyone makes it. We've always had a problem getting Wives and GF's interested since many of our spouses are of a generation where video games were a nerdy guys thing. Last console gen we system linked GameCubes for Mario Kart and Kirby sessions and with the Wii this gen they've become a bit more inolved in the gameplay. Our better halves do like the board games though, and that's one of the main reasons our gatherings often end up that way.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 06:42:20 PM by kronovan » Logged
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2008, 05:35:56 AM »

Got the PC version... jumped straight into HC mode.

Suckers. smile
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2008, 05:45:19 AM »

Quote from: kratz on November 14, 2008, 05:35:56 AM

Got the PC version... jumped straight into HC mode.

Suckers. smile

Got the 360 version... jumped straight into HC mode.

Benefit of having friends who level up really fast.

(I'm assuming the level 18 restriction is on the party leader?)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2008, 02:04:32 PM »

Quote from: skystride on November 14, 2008, 05:45:19 AM

Benefit of having friends who level up really fast.

(I'm assuming the level 18 restriction is on the party leader?)

Yup yup.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2008, 04:27:50 PM »

Always read first....  Played through the co-op with a friend and of course you don't unlock the Zombie mode so I had to replay the whole thing again solo to finally get that option.  I played the beginner level thinking that I
would fly right through and it wasn't that easy but I did finish in about 4 hours. 

Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2008, 06:20:52 PM »

Played some again last night. I switched back to hardcore mode, since the Garand in normal usually takes two, three or more rounds to kill, which necessitates a reload with all it's noise. In Hardcore I usually can get a kill in a round or two so I feel comfortable continuing with a partial magazine. I sucked at first, then raised my skill to merely mediocre. I did unlock the grenade launcher for the Garand. In hardcore that launcher can be a real help for "recon by fire".

Also played for the first time on Upheaval, which reminds me sort of Chinatown in COD4, lots of second story windows to watch, but there's more room on the map. That make my count of twelve unique maps I've played. The only one I dislike is Dome. It's simply too small, even in hardcore.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2008, 08:06:28 PM »

Dome blows
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2008, 08:09:40 PM »

I finished the SP campaign last night on regular difficulty just in time to unlock Zombies for our Friday night gaming crew. I'm obviously not as savvy with this type of game as other GT'ers as I think it took me in the vicinity of 8-10 hours to complete. I probably wasted an hour or more for failing to complete some objectives and consequently getting butchered time and again while my fellow troops wouldn't advance...doh!  Roll Eyes  I would have only given the SP story in this game a 6 out of 10, but Oldman's performance as the Russian commander was so damn good it elevated it to a 7; has to be 1 of the best voice acting performances ever in a video game. I thought just about every level was excellently crafted, but felt that a few of the Pacific theater missions had a bit too many grenades raining down. Overall I liked the Russian theater better, and thought those missions moved the campaign story a bit better.

The local gaming crew and I played a number of rounds of the zombie mplay and it was a blast. Since it can only host 4 players we migrated to the War mode via to 2 system-linked 360's. I've got to say the War mode is impressive as are the mplay maps. For some reason or another our gaming group didn't get into CoD4, but some of the gang that have played it elsewhere thought this was every bit as good. I personally found it as entertaining as Halo 3 and SW Battlefront 2, albeit a very different type of experience. I'm really looking forward to starting the co-op campaign with my nephew next week on a harder difficulty setting.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 08:16:59 PM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: